Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:57:12 am *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Ultimate Charm Quest – a guide.  (Read 47965 times)
Strix

View Profile
« on: August 25, 2011, 02:21:37 am »

Hi All

Having done a number of UC’s on multiple characters, I thought I might lay down some information on the Ultimate Charm to give new players a starting point.  Hopefully others will share their strategies in reply to this give a fuller picture of the approaches you can take in tackling what seems to be the impossible.  In truth, from the outset this quest looks quite daunting and has been the end of many a good player.  

Best advice anyone can give – believe you can do it!!!

What is the Ultimate Charm?
As the name implies – it’s the best charm in the game.  The stats are as follows:
AC 300
Effect: Nexus Gate (Must equip.  Casting time 10.0)
Effect: Ultimate Worn Effect (Worn)
Focus Effect: Ultimate Focus Effect
STR +100 DEX +100 CHA +100 WIS +100 INT +100 AGI +100
HP +50000 Mana +50000 Endurance +5000
SV Fire +125 SV SV Disease +125 Cold +125 SV Magic +125 SV Poison +125
Attack +250
Regen +1500
Mana Regen +500
Endurance Regen +200
Shielding +30% Spell Shield +50% Avoidance +125
Accuracy +50 Stun Resist +100% Strikethrough +35%
DoT Shielding +50%
Haste 175%
Recommended lvl of 65.  Required lvl of 65

Basic Information
How do I make a UC?
You need to level all 4 charm types (Guardian, Sorcerer, Oracle and Brawler) to level 50 and then combine them in your magic box.

How do I make a charm?
Firstly you will need to purchase a v2 Noobie Charm from the Noobie Vendor in either Surefall or the Nexus.  Eventually you will need four of these (one for each charm type).  The v2 Noobie charm is about 10k.  Once you have a Charm Upgrade (of any sort) place it in your magic box with the v2 Noobie Charm and it will create your lvl 1 charm (ie.  Oracle Upgrade + Noobie v2 Charm = Oracle lvl 1 Charm).

Once you have a lvl 1 charm you simply combine the upgrade with the existing charm to get the next level (ie.  Oracle Charm lvl 1 + Oracle Upgrade = Oracle Charm lvl 2).

Where do I find these Charm Upgrades?
v1 Charm Upgrades are located in LDON.  These charms are used to level your charm to 25.  Levelling your charm from 25 – 50 requires you to go to a different zone.  See v2 information below).  The following should give a guide as to where you need to farm in LDON to get a charm upgrade type:

LDON level 2 = Brawler
LDON level 3 = Guardian
LDON level 4 = Oracle
LDON level 5 = Sorcerer
LDON level 6 = ALL Charm Types

*** Your best chance at getting a charm upgrade to drop is in LDON level 6 (see below for more info on this).

v2 Charm Upgrades are located in HoH (Halls of Honor).  All charm types can drop in any area of HoH.  Avatar of Heavens has the highest chance of dropping v2 charms.

So I want to go for a UC – who should I do first?
There is some debate about this but the general consensus is that you should do a Paladin first.  The benefit to your entire group is just too huge to ignore.  Yes, your main Tank is going to need the HPs on the UC eventually, but you need to keep them alive too.  A UC’d Pally is an amazing beast on this server.  

Best possible order =
Paladin
Cleric (or 1st if cleric is your only healer)
Warrior
SK (or 2nd if you’re using an SK as a main tank)

All other DPS classes (excluding Casters)
Casters last (although a UC’d Wizzie is awe inspiring)

Hints and tips.
I’m going to break this into the two legs of the quest: LDON and HOH.  They both require different strategies and tool kits.  Firstly, you need to know that your first UC will be the hardest.  The ones that come after will be markedly easier for a host of reasons.  I’ll make this guide specific to players going for the UC for the first time (really the tweaks you’ll make on your second, third, etc runs won’t be huge).

LDON
Tools:
- Level 70 Warrior 3.0 Epic with 4 x Angry Nerd V Augs (2 for each sword) and RoA lvl 43 (for ring clicky) and T2 boots.
- Level 70 Shammy 3.0 or 4.0 Epic (for HPs boost)
- Level 70 Mage for CoH

Advanced version will use 4 Mages.

Guide
You need to think about charm farming in three ways:  

1.  You are going after charm upgrades and you need lots of them to drop.  For this reason you want to be on the level of LDON that gives you the best statistical chance of that happening.    That level is 6 (see here for information on this: http://ezserver.online/forums/index.php?topic=665.0)

2.  You need to collect all the coins you possibly can along the way.  Coins = charm upgrade fragments.  Collect 2000 points and you get to buy an upgrade from the LDON guy in the nexus.  A full half of the charm upgrades you get are going to come through the coin system.  With this in mind – your UC toon needs to loot everything.

3.  You need to acquire wealth as you go.  Wealth allows you to buy any charm upgrades that are for sale in Auction.  Again – looting all gems and (eventually) selling all charm upgrades that you don’t need (mainly because that charm type has hit 25 already) as you go will help with this.  With that said, you need to be on the lookout for any or all charm upgrades that are being advertised in ooc/auction and buy them.  

Farming
Xiggie Method (Taken from comments below)
- Farm level 4.
- Don't kill for upgrades - kill for points only
- Points gained through cards and coins

Strix Method
-  Teleport you and the support team into an instance of LDON 6 (you want the zone to yourself to maximise the amount of charms you can get).  Leave your mage at the zone in (If you have 4 you need to park a mage at each of the extremities of the zone).

-  Move to the Crossroads section of the zone.  Kill as you go to be safe making sure to loot with the UC toon.  Park your UC toon in the centre of Crossroads and your Shammy off to the side (safespot).

-  Buff your warrior with the epic on the shammy.  Use the clicky on your T2 boots.  

-  Pull to the centre of crossroads using your RoA clicky when the mobs arrive.  

-  Loot with the UC toon.  

-  Once the cycle is complete, use the Mage(s) to CoH the Warrior to the zone in (or if you’re using 4 mages – the various locations on the map that are populated) and begin the cycle again.  The reason I use the mages here is so that the warrior doesn’t die on the return trip to the crossroads (not to mention how much this speeds up the whole farming process).

-  As you farm, watch out for Charm Upgrades in auction/occ and buy when able.

***NOTES***
Don’t bother with the bosses on level 6 – they take up time to kill and don’t drop the 50 coins.  They can drop a Charm Upgrade but it’s not worth the time it takes to kill them.

For a guide as to how many dropped charm upgrades you can expect, please read the comments section that follows this guide.

At a rate of 1 per hour this leg of the quest is going to take about 100 hours (ie. 4 x 25).  

HoH
Tools:
-  A group that can handle HoH content.  You want to be able to clear the Avatars with some speed.  All your toons should have IV Augs minimum here.

Guide.
For me, HoH is really the worst part of this quest (probably because it takes me so long to zone).  It requires a LOT of zoning.  Some basic things you need to know:

1.  Avatar of Heavens has the best chance of dropping the v2 Upgrades.  
2.  Shadow drops upgrades but is not worth the time it will take to chase him around the zone.
3.  All other Avatars can drop charms but Heavens have the chance to drop up to 8 in one clear.

Farming.
-  This is fairly simple.  With your team clear public Heavens (if they’re up).  Clear all the way to the ramp at Hate.

-  At the Hate ramp, use the zone ring to take you back to the entrance and make a guild instance.  Enter it and repeat the cycle.  Exit the Guild Instance at the entrance.

-  Make a group instance and enter it.  Clear to Hate then use the zone ring to go back to the entrance.  Delete the Group Instance and wait 30 seconds before making a new one.  Repeat until you have a UC.

***NOTES***
Be on the lookout for v2 upgrades and buy them when they pop up.

You should be able to make enough plat in one clear to cover the cost of the next instance you are about to make.

Guardian and Brawler charms dropped less for me than the others on all the UCs I've done.  This does appear to vary for some players however.    

Hatebourne's link: http://ezserver.online/forums/index.php?topic=1461.0  -- more great info to assist

Cheers
Strix
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 10:57:03 pm by Strix » Logged

stad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 02:39:32 am »

why wait 30 secs

Make a group instance and enter it.  Clear to Hate then exit.  Delete the Group Instance and wait 30 seconds before making a new one.  Repeat until you have a UC

Evilmog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 03:05:09 am »

Guardian and Brawler charms appear to drop less than the others.  Be alert for people selling those specifically.

I dunno about that...Im currently at like lvl 36 guardian, 26 oracle, 27 sorc, 27 brawler...Guardians seem to drop just fine lol
stad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 03:06:38 am »

for me it was brawler that was hard to get.
But indeed a huge difference for paladins.

Xiggie | Stone
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 03:17:17 am »

This is a great write up and I am not trying to bash it at all. This is very organized and offers some really good pro tips for the up and coming. I have to disagree with the average of 4 upgrades per hour in lvl 6. I have farmed 6 ultimate charms. I have never seen 4 charms per hour on lvl 6. I have never even seen 1 charm per hour average on lvl 6. Pulling the entire zone and killing it with ease with the majority if my time spent looting got me about 4 a day. That was about 15 hours of constantly pulling/looting. Another day I spent 10 hours and did not get any upgrades.

The best that I have ever seen is lvl 4. Don't kill for upgrades, kill for points. I average about 2 to 3k points per hour plus upgrades. At least 75% of my charms come from points and of those points about 75% of those points comes from the cards. Those cards don't drop on 6.

Again, I am not trying to bash you or your guide, this is a great write up, very organized. I just have not ever seen results like that from 6.

Strix

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 04:12:21 am »

why wait 30 secs

Make a group instance and enter it.  Clear to Hate then exit.  Delete the Group Instance and wait 30 seconds before making a new one.  Repeat until you have a UC

Hey Stad

I've had, on occassion, a bugged out instance that was created right after deleting the old one.  Zoned in to find that I'd paid for the same instance as before.  The 30 second is a safety buffer.

Perhaps a rare occurance but I still do the wait. 

Strix

Strix

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 04:15:48 am »

Guardian and Brawler charms appear to drop less than the others.  Be alert for people selling those specifically.

I dunno about that...Im currently at like lvl 36 guardian, 26 oracle, 27 sorc, 27 brawler...Guardians seem to drop just fine lol

Hey Evil

Interesting.  I've done a few of these and on each it was the Brawler and Guardian.  Worth noting though that there can be some variation.  I've wondered for some time if loot tables rotate the frequency of items.  Kind of like seeing 6 Plate BPs in qvic one month then almost none the next. 

Cheers
Strix

Strix

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 04:40:46 am »

Hey Xiggie

Thanks mate - still a work in a progress Smiley  Will make some tweaks as we go here.

If you don't mind I've added your comments about level 4 to the guide (Credited as the Xiggie method).  Thought that was a great addition Smiley

I have to disagree with the average of 4 upgrades per hour in lvl 6. I have farmed 6 ultimate charms. I have never seen 4 charms per hour on lvl 6. I have never even seen 1 charm per hour average on lvl 6.

Changed the word "dropped" in that section.  Four per hour is not right for "dropped" charm upgrades - wouldn't that be awesome though Smiley

I feel it's higher than one an hour though - I'm almost certain it's about two.  Maybe I have good luck Smiley

If charms are selling - 4 per hour is certainly possible.  Just depends on how deep your pockets are and how much farming is going on in LDON I guess.

Actually - I might just drop those guesses out of the guide and let the ensuing discussion serve as a better guide for readers.  The more I think about it the more I think it's perhaps too variable to really make a good guess.  And the comments from you guys on your experiences are a fantastic addition to give a fuller picture.

Side note - I know before that Evil Gnome stole all that money I was able to buy a LOT of charms as I went.  The 12 charms in one hour was in that period - mind you, we're talking about a time too when there was a lot of charms for sale.  There was also a lot of people walking around with very deep pockets (Ponzi getting a UC in a week on two toons being a great example).  

Cheers
Strix

« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 06:21:26 am by Strix » Logged

Digz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 05:34:29 am »

id have to agree with Xiggie on lvl 4 being the best for charm drops. While i havnt done any UCs yet, i have done 4 lvl25 charms all through ldon just within the last few weeks, 3 of which have been done on level 4.  The great thing about level 4 is both cards that drop are worth 50 credits each, so they add up real fast. I consistantly get at least 1 charm per hour just from tokens/cards using a 3.0 T1 war so im not even able to keep everything on lockdown. Im fairly sure its an average of around 500 points per clear if you kill everything start to finish.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 05:37:27 am by Digz » Logged
Xiggie | Stone
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 07:47:14 am »

Like I said, you made a really awesome post. It is very very organized and will help a lot of people as it is full a a lot of good information. I am glad you took my response the way I intended because I really don't want to discourage anyone from writing up guides like this. If you don't mind I would like to put this in my Xiggies Bookmarks post.

Strix

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 08:25:08 am »

If you don't mind I would like to put this in my Xiggies Bookmarks post.

Not in the slightest.  Very cool - hehe.

Strix

PS - Thanks for the input and encouragement too Cheesy

zeebos

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2011, 08:53:34 am »

Very nice post Strix. This will help new and old alike. Lets face it, some of the old players still don't know what they are doing.
<--------------- me

Zeebos
Gweedo
Prevacid
Zantac
Bladethorn

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2011, 09:56:08 am »

Thanks for the guide! For a new player (me)<----- this lights the path. Really appreciate it!

~Guild Pa'ahana~

~Bladethorn, Ironskin, Ironhyde, Stormfade, Redthorne, Redwynd, Xhaidis, Forbid, Vailyn, Aayen, Greyshadow~
Oilman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2011, 10:45:59 am »

Great guide!!

Could you use a Druid in LDON six for the succor and the Regen? It might help keep your warrior's health up so you could kill more. 

Great guide!! now I know how work on my UC my Druid. (yes I said UC on my Druid) LOL
Zuez

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2011, 08:08:57 pm »

It's nice to see a guide on UC's its always been a guess on what the best way to go about it. I may actually start mine now lol!
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 6124
  • Latest: Havicck
Stats
  • Total Posts: 64987
  • Total Topics: 5053
  • Online Today: 91