Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:40:30 am *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Server Transition  (Read 19387 times)
Basher

View Profile
« on: March 09, 2014, 01:01:13 pm »

Update

I want to first thank this community for your support. This has been an extremely difficult time and myself and Hunter's family are extremely moved by all of the kind words.

I mentioned earlier that plans were in place to keep the server going. Over the last week I have thought long and hard about this and spoken with key contributors over the years. These are my goals. I want to make sure that the server has a solid hosting environment and hardware is equal or grater than what was provided in the past.  I also want to make sure that work continues to improve the server with additional content and features that are aligned with how Hunter and I have done things in the past.

Over the past 8 years it took the combined efforts of Hunter and I to create EZ server and all of the content that you have enjoyed playing. My role in particular was behind the scenes doing design work, brainstorming, providing checks and balances about new features, noobie quests, selecting models, populating the raid zones (Time, Qvic, Anguish, Dragons, Gods, Abyss, etc), adding gear, etc.  In addition to my help many people have assisted us along the way to add feature enhancements like instances, new spells, etc. I've selected two of those outstanding individuals to help me drive this server forward.

Akkadius - Many of you know Akkadius from his work on EQEMU and hosting services. Over the years he has assisted EZ server with code updates, bug fixes and feature enhancements. He will be taking over as the server host, GM, and admin of the EZ server.

Hatebourne - Hate has been of great assistance to Hunter helping drive new content over the past couple of years. He will continue his role as a GM and will be the lead designer of new content. Together with Akkadius they will be the two key drivers of new content and features moving forward.

Basher (Me)  - I will continue to be behind the scenes providing checks and balances, brainstorming and making sure that the new content follows the same logic and design that Hunter and I put in place.

Others - There are so many others I have to thank which have supported us over the years like Crab, Secrets, etc. I would very much like to see this collaboration continue.

We will be relocating the server this week and doing performance tests. More info on this to come from Akkadius so please bear with us in this transition.

Many of you have asked how you can help support Hunter's family so I wanted to note that plans are in place to reactivate the donation system with proceeds going to Hunter's wife and child. More on this in the future, the priority over the next few weeks will be stabilizing the server.

Thank You,
Basher (Cofounder of the Ez Server)
Chunka
Legend

Been gone so long I'm a newbie again!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 04:37:28 pm »

Thank you, Basher....VERY much.

Over the last couple months I've played on EZ less and less for a variety of reasons (EQNL Alpha being a big one) but I still feel like EZ is my home. I'm happy to hear it'll continue on.

"When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything — you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." R.A. Heinlein
Fugitive
Legend

TROLL KING

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 05:08:45 pm »

Thanks Basher for the update..

Kinda not what I was hoping to see but @ least EZ will ... well be here for a little bit longer it seems.

Akkadius is a good/great/awesome Dev, But far out of touch with the EZ Style of Life and Vision period.. I know there can be numerous arguments and whatever.

Lead GM should have been placed with Hateborne, I say this not cause our history.. you can look that up I've yelled screamed and kicked my boots at him most of the time, but he is in touch with the direction and aligned with the vision that you and Hunter shared.

He has been active here numerous months replacing content, fixing content, creating new content. What can Akkadius do for EZ.. how many rerolls does he have on his own server already?!

I could understand if your post was written in reverse,
Hate - Lead GM, Lead Content creation
Akkadius - Host and Assist Hate with balance and Content creation.

With you being they ying to the yang with yes/no

This is in no way a direct attack on Akkadius I enjoy his help and abilities so please don't see it as such. Just pointing out what I believe to be a very true statement.

I think it's time to ask the server what they think also.

We are a family, all of us and we miss a dear friend and family member.. I don't want to see EZ disappear too.

-btw a few players are wondering why Hate tipped his hat... well shit hurts sometimes.. and taking two shit hurt events so close together.. well sucks.. remember we are Human.. even though we seem to forget that sometimes..
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 05:35:07 pm by Fugitive » Logged

Quoted for the Brotherhood of Warriors
"I want my wizard to cast Fugitives instead of fireballs.
We can't always get what we want. ;-)"
-Hate"
Crabthewall

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 05:16:41 pm »

You just have to drop me a line letting me know what you want/need and I'll do my best. Obviously I haven't played for many years but I know the hardware that EZ runs on better than anyone else, so Akkadius and Hatebourne if you need any assistance with that aspect of it especially with configuring the lights out management tools that are built into it for the new environment just let me know. I did a SSD life check with Hunter not that long ago and it seemed there was plenty of life available there, but I'm a bit more concerned about the mirrored set of SAS disks I put in for OS functions at this point especially if the physical hardware is going to be shipped.
Xiggie | Stone
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 05:22:55 pm »

I agree with Fugitive whole hearted. I don't want to start a bunch of drama over it but I am really glad that basher will still be in it. I think basher's job would have been a lot easier if hate had been given lead with basher doing his normal role. No disrespect to anyone.

Sent from cell.  

Rent Due
EZ Server Admin GM
Administrator
Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 05:35:37 pm »

Thank you Basher, as I know this must have been a very difficult decision on your part.

I am pleased with your decisions and support your future involvement in the server and it's players

I welcome Akkadius to our family with open arms. It is my sincere hope that he is as open to player/community suggestions as Hunter always was.

I am very happy Hateborne is staying online with us in an important role to help develop our new tiers, content and continue to work on the projects him and Hunter had going.

This is a good thing, and I believe Hunter would have agreed with your decisions for our sandbox.

Thank you Basher.

Takishi

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 05:36:44 pm »

I partially agree with the above posts.  I think Hate has proven to be a great bug fixer, listener, and has been a great right hand man.  However, we have seen many times where I think Hate has let his temper get the best of him.  Not to say that we didn't get under Hunter's skin, but we didn't see it. Hate - no disrespect at all, but folks have pissed you off a few different times Smiley

I think we should have Basher, Akkadius and Hate equally contributing to the direction of the server.  Akkadius can develop some very interesting ideas, but I don't think any one person should have the "GM" title and have a sole responsibility of where the server goes.  

All-in-all, I thoroughly enjoy this server.  I don't want to see it completely lose it's luster and burn out when the overall aspect of the server changes.  
Dimur

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 05:40:24 pm »

I don't know Akka but I do know EZ and I do see all of the effort that Hate's put in over the last few years and he's been groomed by Hunter himself on what the vision for EZ is, let alone Hate is very familiar with the existing playerbase we have on EZ.  I rarely agree with Hate on his opinions, but he's always let me voice my opinions and given his reasons and I'm quite comfortable with him continuing the EZ traditions.  No slight to Akka, but I'm just confused as to why Hate has secondary status when he's been the most active GM type and only GM type most of the current players have ever known outside of Hunter himself.
Akkadius
Administrator
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 06:01:39 pm »

Thanks Basher for the update..

Kinda not what I was hoping to see but @ least EZ will ... well be here for a little bit longer it seems.

Akkadius is a good Dev, But far out of touch with the EZ Style of Life and Vision period.. I know there can be numerous arguments and whatever.

Lead GM should have been placed with Hateborne, I say this not cause our history.. you can look that up I've yelled screamed and kicked my boots at him most of the time, but he is in touch with the direction and aligned with the vision that you and Hunter shared.

He has been active here numerous months replacing content, fixing content, creating new content. What can Akkadius do for EZ.. how many rerolls does he have on his own server already?!

I could understand if your post was written in reverse,
Hate - Lead GM, Lead Content creation
Akkadius - Host and Assist Hate with balance and Content creation.

With you being they ying to the yang with yes/no

This is in no way a direct attack on Akkadius I enjoy his help and abilities so please don't see it as such. Just pointing out what I believe to be a very true statement.

I think it's time to ask the server what they think also.

We are a family, all of us and we miss a dear friend and family member.. I don't want to see EZ disappear too.

Thanks for the constructive criticism. This week has been hell for me so I've not been around here to make sure that this goes over as I would like it.

First, the comments regarding my test server I knew were going to come my way and I mentioned this to Basher in conversation. Akka's Funhouse has always been a casual semi-legit sandbox test server in which I've tested ideas, engines and  concepts. It is not something that should be taken into the consideration of the future of this server.

Continuing this project is something that I would rather Hunter be around here to do - but the fact of the situation is that Hunter is no longer here. My obligation is to make sure that this server continues in his honor in absolutely every way I can with Hateborne's help. While executive decision needs to be made, Hunter took everyone's opinion and considerations and allowed those opinions to be part of the executive decision.

My ideology is to not come here taking over thinking that I am Hunter and that everything now goes. However, I have helped Hunter far long before Hateborne with big issues in the back end while folks often had no idea I was helping him. It was his wish that I at least maintain the server and keep it going 'If he decided to retire'. This is not something I made up to benefit myself. Obviously that time has come much sooner than we had ever expected it.

Keep in mind, this has nothing to do with lack of Hateborne's work on this server. It is obvious that he has helped in many ways in which I have not. I have been doing my part to make sure he understands the respect that I have had for his contributions and continued role on this server. I have a vast and deep knowledge of everything that is EQEmu that I believe will be of servant to Hateborne and everyone on this server.

Running this server is not benefiting me personally in anyway other than I am obligated to keep it going. So hopefully by the grace of the player base can I be accepted as the person who will help facilitate the future of the server and GM instead of one who is going to make erratic decisions that harm the server. Everything will be done with grace, with pace, and the same gradual manner in which Hunter introduced changes. Giving things time to be coped with by players and opinions to be given. That is the true beauty of this community.

Let me be clear that my attitude approaching this is open and I'm not going to do things 'my way', I'm not going to force Hateborne to do things that he wouldn't think is good for the server. I'm not going to do things that Hunter or Basher wouldn't want for this server. I'm going to do this the way I think would be best for this community given all of the hard work and decisions that have been made thus far. I think it is best that we not take this as a situation of takeover and more of a working together to keep this community the same community it has been for years.

As Basher said, Hateborne will be the Lead content designer and we both will work together in a new relationship to make this work for everyone. There is a lot that needs to happen here within the next few weeks, and I would prefer if we not think of this as a single person having control over everything, we are a team. We will also have the grace of Basher to peer-review any major content decisions to make sure that it reflects the vision that is the EZ Server.

Nobody anticipated Hunter to pass away and I think it is much better that we all try to work together to move forward rather than to try and be divided by a bit of confusion.

I am open to everyone's thoughts and considerations whole-heartedly, however I will not refrain from the fact that we need to move forward and decisions will need to be made. Everyone's opinion has always counted here, everyone has been family, and I do not intend to change the way this server has thrived as one big community.

I will be retiring other projects to make sure that EZ Server keeps moving forward in ways that continue to reflect what the players think is best.

If anyone has any questions for me and how things will work going forward. Please PM me or post here as you think it is appropriate.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 06:49:45 pm by Akkadius » Logged

EZ Server GM
hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014, 06:48:52 pm »

Attention all ladies, gents, and trolls:

After a very polite and very calm discussion with Akkadius, it appears Basher was somewhat confusing or misleading in his original post (or assumed something slightly off). No hit/slight/hate for Basher as he's just trying to pick up the pieces (as we all are). Akkadius is actually going to take over as the System Admin and Lead "Admin" GM. He will be the one to make system/network changes, help fight the occasional fire, and ensure server stability/longevity. He will be contributing on a development level at times, but he will not be driving the content direction....you guys will be.

Akkadius is very sincere in his desire to keep EZ up and keep it true to Hunter's/Basher's direction. I will honestly admit (as I did to him) that I was concerned about this as well. He explained his situation and stance fully, which removed any concerns I have for him taking over the server or building "EZ, New and Improved". I had assumed to much and let my imagination get the best of me. To be clear it is seen by all:

I apologize to Akkadius, Basher, and EZ for making such rash assumptions!

That being said, I'm here to stay. As soon as some of the more immediate issues are handled (housing, data storage, connectivity, etc), we will begin filling in those long missing pieces. I will be posting a "planned updates" thread in just a moment to give you an idea of what will be coming this month alone (and in the future, as far as I know it).

If anyone has any concerns or questions, post them here or email me directly if you would rather not go public with it. Hateborne@gmail.com or PM on forums.

-Hate

EDIT: This whole "Hate is second to Akkadius" is not true. Per my conversation with Akkadius, we will share pretty much the same credentials (minus things that I do not specifically need access to, which I will respectfully decline).
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 06:50:48 pm by hateborne » Logged

I'm so sorry Hunter, I tried...
Fugitive
Legend

TROLL KING

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2014, 06:56:50 pm »

I'm very if not extremely happy we have TWO (plus the hidden) Great Admins that care for the life of EZ.  Thanks to both of yall for doing this shit for free..

I just didn't want to be homeless  Wink
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 07:47:10 pm by Fugitive » Logged

Quoted for the Brotherhood of Warriors
"I want my wizard to cast Fugitives instead of fireballs.
We can't always get what we want. ;-)"
-Hate"
Chunka
Legend

Been gone so long I'm a newbie again!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2014, 07:12:10 pm »

Damn. I was hoping it'd be Dubbo!

<ducks>

"When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything — you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." R.A. Heinlein
Takishi

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2014, 07:34:00 pm »

Glad to hear it is going to be a smash up of everyone's opinion and that multiple folks will have input, not just the players.  Look forward to see what Akka, Hate and Bash (and others) will work on to keep the server going. I too don't want to be EQ homeless. 

Hate - love the idea of planned updates post. 
Xiggie | Stone
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2014, 07:40:34 pm »

I think that is very good news. Really pleased.

hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2014, 07:49:01 pm »

Going to actually compose thread that when I get home. Work has consumed more time than I would've liked, so I cannot appropriately gather my notes and post a "planned updates" thread that would be more than a simple placeholder.

Keep eyes peeled during the next 2h or so.

-Hate

I'm so sorry Hunter, I tried...
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 6124
  • Latest: Havicck
Stats
  • Total Posts: 64987