Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 30, 2024, 01:31:37 pm *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Server Hardware  (Read 7696 times)
Crabthewall

View Profile
« on: April 16, 2014, 05:01:39 pm »

In case anyone is interested (large picture)

Server progress so far - It's been swung into a 2U Chassis. Motherboard was replaced (same model just new) as were CPU fans. I added another small Intel SSD to match the original one hopefully to have a mirrored set booting VMWare Hypervisor and had a custom plate cut for the RMM. There are 4 additional SSD's (Samsung 128GB 840 Pro's) waiting on a 5.25 hot swap mounting kit (waiting on it to arrive) - these 4 will be in a raid array on one channel of the new raid controller while on the other channel will be a total of 4 SAS 10k Disks hot swap disks (still waiting on the extras of these to arrive - some are original)

I've upgraded all the various firmwares - bios/fru/sdr/bmc/rmm/raid/both types of ssds etc to current. Once the remaining hardware arrives - hyper-v will get loaded and then some operating systems on top of that. I provided a few of the hardware items but the vast majority were provided by Akkadius via your donations - so good work to you all on that.

I'll post again when it gets closer to complete.
hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 05:36:27 pm »

Excellent work Crab. Thank you for the status post and the information!

-Hate

I'm so sorry Hunter, I tried...
balidet
Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 11:40:32 am »

Yes...keep up the good work!

huffdady

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 12:02:28 pm »

Looks wonderful.
Rent Due
EZ Server Admin GM
Administrator
Master

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 10:53:15 am »

pictures are good, post some more pictures of the cool toys we are getting to run our sandbox

Crabthewall

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 05:13:07 pm »

Hardware is pretty much done so some new pictures.

Front of the unit sitting on my bench - 4 of the SAS hot swaps are active on the 8 port raid controller (10k SAS) and one is a cold spare. If you look in the 5.25in bay you'll see a quad 2.5in hot swap mounted to handle the 4 data SSD's which are on the other 4 ports of the main raid controller. Just above them hidden behind the 3.5in bay cover are another set of mirrored 40GB SSD's on a secondary raid controller to handle the VMWare operations.

Two Raid 6 arrays - one on the 10k's and one with the 4 ssd's.
Akkadius
Administrator
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 05:46:20 pm »

It will be nice to do some benchmarks on this baby on the SSD array.

Great work once again Crab, it is wonderful that you volunteered to take care of the hardware issues, I appreciate it and I hope everyone else does as well.

Let me know when I can jump in it this weekend. In the meantime I am working on EZ code preparations.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 05:48:17 pm by Akkadius » Logged

EZ Server GM
Nexxel

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 06:26:59 pm »

Looks Sweeet.
Chunka
Legend

Been gone so long I'm a newbie again!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 11:04:35 pm »

Much thanks to all of ya for the work you've been doing. The server's noticeably improved, and I'm betting the best is yet to come!

"When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything — you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." R.A. Heinlein
Brokyn

Artificial intelligence beats real stupidity

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 11:09:49 am »

That is an absolute dream machine Crab.  Thank you for the effort, and generosity

We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?
Krupa

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 11:45:36 pm »

does EQemu utilize dual cpu's? i love the look of maxed ram, but makes trouble shooting a pain
Akkadius
Administrator
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 11:59:13 am »

does EQemu utilize dual cpu's? i love the look of maxed ram, but makes trouble shooting a pain

Certainly, all of the zone processes utilize their own automatically assigned threads.

EZ Server GM
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 65023
  • Total Topics: 5057
  • Online Today: 95
  • Online Ever: 8678