Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:22:39 pm *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: AFK code  (Read 12872 times)
Akkadius
Administrator
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2016, 02:00:54 pm »

We used to have AFK code for a variety of reasons, one of the biggest ones was stability of the server. This was mostly a Hunter band-aid at the time.

It's a huge testament to how far things have come that a zone can even handle 200 players at idle.

And honestly, there's nothing to keep people from going into their own instances if client sided lag is an issue.

That lag is going to be a combination of mostly net-send lag even at idle, and graphical rendering.

Like usual, if there are thoughtful suggestions that people want to chip in about a resolution I'm never opposed. But I'm not seeing much of an issue here.

EZ Server GM
Dimur

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2016, 05:20:18 pm »

if buffing lower tier people is such a issue and makes the game so much easier then what of higher tiers grinding out UWs and basically giving away all the loot they generate to a lowbie, if you wanna stand on the soap box that buffing them makes it to easy then you should probably refocus on giving away entire tiers worth of gear.  Unless of course thats not the real reason you have issue with it.

Huh? Please elaborate on the soap box comment relative to what I posted.
Goyuzund

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2016, 10:34:48 pm »

i wasn't so much replying to you directly and more replying to the discussion on buffs in general going on in public channels at the moment.

Fecs

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2016, 11:04:28 pm »

If mgmt feels the higher tier buffs trivialize the lower tiers they could restrict them by level (as they did with the XP mask).

As far as giving gear away, if you've made it to say Tier 5 and some Tier 9/10 guy is clearing the zone for ess's you're just going to get your gear/flags a little faster - you still need to get the flag to be in the zone in the first place.. That's a bit different than a brandnew 70 getting a 400k Hp buff (when they naturally have something like 8-10k) and solo'ing Plane of Time..

I'd argue that having a high level rush you through t5 is exactly equal to having high level buffs in pot. Both just cut time off of whatever thing you're doing.

My feeling is, let people play how they want to play.

If you don't want to buff, don't buff. If you don't want to rush someone, don't.
If the people begging for buffs bothers you, just ignore them.

Finally in regards to the people who afk in nexus, I'd hazard a guess and say more than half of them are established people's characters staying logged in generally to save time. All of the lag in nexus is graphical lag, and even that generally fades as soon as you finish rending the stuff the first time (except that first time Rymo buffed 1k and destroyed the zone)    Smiley
Avanju

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2016, 01:16:53 am »

Wholeheartedly agree with Fecs.  There is enough of a grind already that a few buffs and free drops along the way make it slightly more enjoyable.  If senior players want to make buffs and drops available to newcomers, THANKS!  If not, no worries.  But don't make a fuss when you see someone asking in ooc for something.  Asking is not begging so quit calling it that.  Also, suggesting that people stop asking and just wait until it is offered is kinda ridiculous too.  How does the proverb go? "Ask and ye shall receive."

If you are going to continue advocating for "no mass buffs" (you know who you are) just know that you are essentially saying "no we won't help you" and you are giving the server a bad image for newcomers.  If you don't have anything helpful to offer, just leave it alone or /ignore. It's better for an ooc /ask to go unanswered than criticized for no apparent reason.  It doesn't really matter if you would help in other circumstances.  That's not what everyone sees.  Everyone just sees you being rude in ooc.

/rant
Blurring

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2016, 09:55:41 am »

There's a couple sides to this whole buffing conversation lately that I haven't seen people comment on, so here's my thoughts for fun.

First, this is a community of limited size joined together primarily by one global channel, OOC. There's no denying that over the past couple months it is an incessant stream of BUFFS PLS, BUFFS INC 1M!!, BUFFS PLS, and it gets to be grating. That's just how it is, when you see it non stop every day for months, it gets to be annoying. And here's the thing about putting those people on ignore or filtering out OOC all together -- it's nothing personal against those players, them asking for buffs doesn't mean they have nothing else to say obviously; and filtering out OOC is the same as excommunicating oneself from the community almost entirely. So I'm not really on either side of this, but this is the crux these hot topics in OOC always balance across.

Secondly, you'll notice the people fed up with all the buffing are almost entirely end-game players, and I think that muddies what they're really trying to express in this argument. (Though many, Dimur for example, have started to hit on it directly) The thing is, for all these high-end players, they have seen hundreds if not thousands of players come and go on EZ. And they know the patterns of who stays to play and enjoy the content EZ has to offer. They have a thorough understanding of that content and what it has to offer from many viewpoints. And they understand that when players get rushed through certain components, the odds of them still playing 6 months down the road is cut almost to nothing. It's not a one-time thing, we have seen this pattern over years and years and hundreds and hundreds of players. So again, I'm not saying NO BUFFS or otherwise, but please understand that high-end players aren't always trying to bring down the up and comers, they are trying to get them to stay and enjoy what EZ has to offer long term.

Blarr!
Noot

EZServerHowTo Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2016, 10:52:49 am »

Hello.  My name is Noot, and I am an alcoho... I mean buffer.

When I was a young Noot, struggling through LDON and QVIC, there was a few times I just gave up and went to P99.  The spawn cycles absolutely ruined me, and I just couldn't keep up while I was recovering, which frustrated the shit out of me.  I can't remember what the highest tier was at the time, sometime in 2009/2010, but getting those buffs kept me going and finally pushed me out of that preinstance nightmare and I was able to be self sufficient.  I never begged for buffs, but I didn't shy away if they were offered, which was typically in places like Skyshrine, Iceclad Ocean, and Rivervale.

I don't indulge the beggars, and I don't do it every hour, but if I'm going to buff my team anyway I'm all about sharing the wealth.  I do, however, stay to the opposite side of the nexus platform from the banker, where people have been parking themselves lately.  I may start a sightseeing tour, and have my buffs in obscure places, as the veterans had done before me.  I agree that these buffs cause some people to burn through content and fly too close to the sun, slamming into the T5 brick wall without the proper gear, but I remember being that toon that really appreciated that extra boost to push me past the roadblock I had been unable to penetrate.  To those people, I will continue my enabling, but I hear the rebuttal loud and clear, and so I will not do it in Nexus anymore.

Avanju

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2016, 11:48:57 am »

And here's the thing about putting those people on ignore or filtering out OOC all together -- it's nothing personal against those players, them asking for buffs doesn't mean they have nothing else to say obviously; and filtering out OOC is the same as excommunicating oneself from the community almost entirely. So I'm not really on either side of this, but this is the crux these hot topics in OOC always balance across.

You don't have to /ignore players completely or filter out ooc.  You can use MQ2 to filter specific lines of text containing key words such as "buffs" or "MGB."

So again, I'm not saying NO BUFFS or otherwise, but please understand that high-end players aren't always trying to bring down the up and comers, they are trying to get them to stay and enjoy what EZ has to offer long term.

I understand the argument--spoiled players that don't have to struggle initially won't be willing to struggle later.   However, I don't buy it.  Any player that does even a modicum of research on the wiki will realize the grind that is in store for them, and that they will need to box and gear multiple characters to advance.  It's not buffs that ruins it for them.  The players that leave just simply aren't up for the grind, or other things become more important than EQ/EZ/video games in general.  So what's wrong with making things enjoyable for each other during the time we play together?  Do you not help people at work just because they might leave or you might get a new job?  That's silly.  Let's help each other and be kind to each other while we share a common interest.  If we decide to part ways later, at least we'll have good memories.
Balthor

Vote for Pedro

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2016, 08:51:12 am »

I never begged for buffs, but I didn't shy away if they were offered, which was typically in places like Skyshrine, Iceclad Ocean, and Rivervale.

I remember when a couple of us would play those games. Make people come find us in out of the way places, then reward them with buffs or pp or even full guild sets. Good memories.
Raygan
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2016, 10:54:48 am »

Any player that does even a modicum of research on the wiki will realize the grind that is in store for them, and that they will need to box and gear multiple characters to advance. 

That is giving people a BIG benefit.  New players, from my experience of reading /ooc, do not bother to read the wiki.  How many times a day to you see questions asked in /ooc that were EASILY answered if some lazy schmuck would just take the time to read the frigging wiki? A LOT!  Roll Eyes

Hate's Most Hateful Hater
walk2k

Hero Posts: 99999

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2016, 11:51:35 am »

I guess I could break out the druid and do the old MGB Circle of Lavastorm in nexus... clear things out a bit Smiley

Chunka
Legend

Been gone so long I'm a newbie again!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2016, 03:34:55 pm »

That is giving people a BIG benefit.  New players, from my experience of reading /ooc, do not bother to read the wiki.  How many times a day to you see questions asked in /ooc that were EASILY answered if some lazy schmuck would just take the time to read the frigging wiki? A LOT!

In their defense.....most of them are a product of US public education. I have my doubts many of them CAN read. My current theory is that they play using some form of text to simulated voice interface.

"When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything — you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." R.A. Heinlein
Fecs

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2016, 04:11:12 pm »

That is giving people a BIG benefit.  New players, from my experience of reading /ooc, do not bother to read the wiki.  How many times a day to you see questions asked in /ooc that were EASILY answered if some lazy schmuck would just take the time to read the frigging wiki? A LOT!

In their defense.....most of them are a product of US public education. I have my doubts many of them CAN read. My current theory is that they play using some form of text to simulated voice interface.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUM3uuAqBV0
Ponzi

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2016, 09:17:27 pm »

I guess I could break out the druid and do the old MGB Circle of Lavastorm in nexus... clear things out a bit Smiley

Or just blow a stack of pearls with a mage to hide people all over the nexus.. Maybe spell out famous phrases or curse words from an aerial view.

Ponzi Scheme - Monk
Kanyon - Paladin
Kiwis - Warrior
Avacado - Cleric
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 64987