Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:36:55 pm *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Economies of scale  (Read 13079 times)
gotee

View Profile
« on: October 01, 2017, 09:15:40 pm »

I've been playing for a couple years now and have seen the drop rate of ess, gsoa, rainbows and any other useable progression items going down down down down down and down.  I understand that there needs to be economies of scale but the nerf rate is becoming ridiculous, PP bags out the wazoo are nice for the shiny effect but u cant buy anything except vendor items that need to be combined with drops.  How about putting gsoa's, ess rainbows as vendor items for a ridiculous amount comparable to the ridiculous pp drop rate.  Its becoming extremely painful to get quest items anymore.
Otto
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 09:33:29 pm »

I agree with this, but have a reason why;

Some will say "It makes the best item, it should be hard to get". And I agree. GSoA and Essences make the best items.

The real consideration here is that it's not just for 1 character, eventually you need this stuff on all your damage dealing characters unless you want to 18+ box and zerg everything. Look at Maslow, the guy 30 boxes. There was another player, a Japanese fellow that boxed half that and had everyone decked out with earrings / UWs / RoAs.

Could drop rates possibly be adjusted? I know some of the players at the top have 5-10 characters with Earring 50, UWX!, and RoA 1000 / Mask 1000. With the current drop rates and economy / trade system, this doesn't seem quite as attainable.

Things were altered somewhere along the way, apparently, to where current players really can't achieve the same results with the same /played or applied effort.

Maybe I'm wrong... But maybe not.
Peign
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 12:28:53 am »

I agree with this, but have a reason why;

Some will say "It makes the best item, it should be hard to get". And I agree. GSoA and Essences make the best items.

The real consideration here is that it's not just for 1 character, eventually you need this stuff on all your damage dealing characters unless you want to 18+ box and zerg everything. Look at Maslow, the guy 30 boxes. There was another player, a Japanese fellow that boxed half that and had everyone decked out with earrings / UWs / RoAs.

Could drop rates possibly be adjusted? I know some of the players at the top have 5-10 characters with Earring 50, UWX!, and RoA 1000 / Mask 1000. With the current drop rates and economy / trade system, this doesn't seem quite as attainable.

Things were altered somewhere along the way, apparently, to where current players really can't achieve the same results with the same /played or applied effort.

Maybe I'm wrong... But maybe not.

I have 30 toons, partially because of boredom and partially because why the hell not?   Magelo Red Horse and have a look.   Many guilds in old-school EQ took the Zerg approach.  With MQ2 and Bogtank, managing 30 is no different than managing 1.  So if you have a dev machine why not run more?

While I have 30 completed T10, I don't need 30.     10 UW 11s,  2 UW 12s, 4 EoA 50s, 1 EoA 46, 22 uc3s, UA, donation items.    I never needed 30 lol.     Play 12 if you want, play 6 whatevs, will still have to grind to get the good gear.   I got my first UW X Thanksgiving of 2013 using just 6 toons to run ToV. (Why the worthless bard has a UC3)

Problem may not be drop rates but rather no one is selling.   Everyone is a buyer now.     Even people new to the server are immediately looking to buy.  Not much of a market if no one is selling.     I'd cut plat drops in half, after doing a server plat wipe.

Anyway, enjoy the grind and spending a wheelbarrow of plat on a loaf of bread.   Oh, and gsoa prices are inflated thanks to Rymo buying gsoa at 20m a pop to deck out his toons.

Maslow

« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 12:31:50 am by Peign » Logged
Bogreaper

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 09:48:50 am »

it all comes down to the two basics of economics.

1: Supply and Demand.
2: YOUR value of goods/services/time.

The #1 issue on ezserver is the lack of players.  The content is good, the scaling and balancing is GREAT (Even tho some think end game characters are over powered, this is not true.  Playing in sunderock still feels as challenging and fun as starting a new character and playing in the west freeport playground.)

For those of us towards the T10, there are only so many things we are interested in farming, trading, buying.
With the time involved in progressing through T10, we have to weight our ezserver time.

ie.  I need to do the kill 750 orc quest 12+ times, and I need to farm 100 Essence of Gods Minor, which which is more important to me?

With that being said, the only items we are really interested in are.

Tier zone essences (qvic, ct, dragons, gods, abyss, anguish, lp, oc, sr)
Essence of Norrath
Essence of frozenshadow
Gemstone of ages
Rainbows
Superior lightstone

The problem here in is, no one wants to sale these for plat, because plat is basically only used for the 10mil plat token for ultimate weapons, and for magic ores to craft a few items.  This leaves trading for the items.

Everyone wants these items. So that puts us at the supply/demand issue, tons of demand but no supply.  Everyone wants the same thing, and they don't want to let go of anything they have because they value what they have at equal or greater value.

---------------------------------------
Lower drop rate.

I have to agree, either I did something very bad and the universe is punishing me, or the drop rate on items has been lowered.
Prime example.  (I keep spreadsheets on things I do for comparisons)  Back in april I would clear qvic, on average the essences would drop per clearing, 2, 1, 3, 0 for an average of 10-12 per 10 clearings. (this is weighted over 100 clearings).  in the past few months, I will see drop rates per clearing of 1, 0, 1, 2.  and I ensure that I kill everything in the zone.

---------------------------------------

What can be done about this?  Bottom line is more players.

If each person that currently plays on a consistent basis (I would venture this to be 10 live bodies), would recruit 4 new players, and take 1 of them under their wing to mentor, we could get the user base back up to 50ish players.

New players will be hungry for high end gear, and want to wheel and deal and move on up to where they can farm, make better gear.

--------------------------------------

I am sure I have not said anything there that everyone does not already know.

I just vocalized it.

Peace.

gotee

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 05:19:02 pm »

I don't dispute that the higher end items shouldn't be easy to get however what I am saying is the drop rate compared to a year ago is so far down its just becoming numbing to progress the nicer items.  If you got your UW's / earrings etc done a year or so ago consider yourself lucky because it is taking the rest of us 3-4 times as long to attain the same items now. Drops are 80% pp - that buys the UW coin to get rusty in your bag while you grind endlessly to get the ess for it.
gnonim

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 08:02:57 pm »

Have to agree with Bog mostly... need to get more players on the server.  I actually think drop rates are fine with the exception that plat comes too easily.  If you farm 100 OCs, which i did a few weeks ago, I came away with about  150MM pp.  Was probably greater than that as i sold diamonds along the way.  Everytime i see someone selling an EON or GSoA, it's like a race to send them a tell before it's gone...

Incidentally, I six box, and have had to back farm a lot to be able to kill in T10.  Have 4 UW11's, one EotA 50, 6 UC3's, one ROA1000, and that's it.  T10 is totally doable with that setup, and that's not that much back farming. 
KnowFear

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 08:11:07 pm »

Even if new people show up to EZ to play, they get discouraged quickly by the ,for the lack of a better word, "eliteness" of the players here. Back when I played on EZ, I loved it. I was totally immersed in this server. To the extreme where I would call in sick to work so I could sit at home and play. I would leave my toons parked in the nexus and come back fully buffed up and ready to go try to push forward. And then everyone started pissing and moaning about people giving buffs. The whole having to walk to school uphill both ways in the fucking snow argument. It was enough to make me quit. If I wanted to start from the bottom and just fucking stay there, I would play on live. Yes, we all know it can be done. But if people truly wanted a higher population they would actually, I don't know, help them reach it. Without making them feel like shit for getting there via buffs. The more people that play, means the more items getting farmed, and the more items being needed. If people were willing to pay to pass the grind, they would do it. I sold numerous GSoAs and tons of SLS when I was here.
Peign
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 08:35:48 pm »

Even if new people show up to EZ to play, they get discouraged quickly by the ,for the lack of a better word, "eliteness" of the players here. Back when I played on EZ, I loved it. I was totally immersed in this server. To the extreme where I would call in sick to work so I could sit at home and play. I would leave my toons parked in the nexus and come back fully buffed up and ready to go try to push forward. And then everyone started pissing and moaning about people giving buffs. The whole having to walk to school uphill both ways in the fucking snow argument. It was enough to make me quit. If I wanted to start from the bottom and just fucking stay there, I would play on live. Yes, we all know it can be done. But if people truly wanted a higher population they would actually, I don't know, help them reach it. Without making them feel like shit for getting there via buffs. The more people that play, means the more items getting farmed, and the more items being needed. If people were willing to pay to pass the grind, they would do it. I sold numerous GSoAs and tons of SLS when I was here.

QQ more lil noob snowflake
KnowFear

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 09:08:58 pm »

Precisely why I left.
Peign
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2017, 10:16:15 pm »

Precisely why I left.

Hope you found a warm, safe space.
Peign
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2017, 10:44:59 pm »

So many accommodating comments from long time players that got all their stuff when it really was EZ and have 6,7 8 UW's at 11, UCv3s, and maxed earrings and rings.  Try working your way up now from sqat for over a year and see what you think about the loot nerf compared to when u went thru the first time.  I'm just asking for fair - which its not anymore.

It is really hard now.    Really really hard.    No one else had to work for their gear ever!
Dimur

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2017, 01:06:22 am »

Way hard... I'm glad I was able to play through all of this super hard content way back when it was easy.
Bogreaper

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2017, 02:25:03 am »

Are there 2 EzServers?

I routinely sneak into zones I find sub 70s in and buff them  up, If I can catch them not moving around too much I will drop a mil or 2 plat on them.

Usually the last thing I do when I walk about from the computer , and first thing I do when I get back is mgb nexus, and cycle through target warriors looking for anyone with lesser buffs, and have the bogs buff their group.

That is not to mention how many countless times I am in lower zones doing a  pull for someone to get them that one item or kill to get them over the hump so that they can make it on their own and not get discouraged and quit.

I see, Cathiest, Gumboo, and others all /oocing mgb nexus or stonehive every few hours.

Now I have only been on the server since March, and I have meet and played with nothing but great and friendly people (barr ONE that will remain nameless, but you know who you are. ).

Is there trash talk? sure always, I can ignore it, the same as I can ignore people at work that have diarrhea of the mouth.

Like I had to explain to someone the other day.  Quit your job looking for better co-workers and your going to find the same people just different names.  No One is ever going to like everything everyone says.

But I will say this.  If I am busy, and not in a position to EASILY zone to nexus, and get back to where I was, nah, I will not come running just because you want a buff or want something.  If it is not a bother sure.  And I believe 99% of the EzServer players are the same.

peace

Peign
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2017, 09:05:29 am »

Are there 2 EzServers?

I routinely sneak into zones I find sub 70s in and buff them  up, If I can catch them not moving around too much I will drop a mil or 2 plat on them.

Usually the last thing I do when I walk about from the computer , and first thing I do when I get back is mgb nexus, and cycle through target warriors looking for anyone with lesser buffs, and have the bogs buff their group.

That is not to mention how many countless times I am in lower zones doing a  pull for someone to get them that one item or kill to get them over the hump so that they can make it on their own and not get discouraged and quit.

I see, Cathiest, Gumboo, and others all /oocing mgb nexus or stonehive every few hours.

Now I have only been on the server since March, and I have meet and played with nothing but great and friendly people (barr ONE that will remain nameless, but you know who you are. ).

Is there trash talk? sure always, I can ignore it, the same as I can ignore people at work that have diarrhea of the mouth.

Like I had to explain to someone the other day.  Quit your job looking for better co-workers and your going to find the same people just different names.  No One is ever going to like everything everyone says.

But I will say this.  If I am busy, and not in a position to EASILY zone to nexus, and get back to where I was, nah, I will not come running just because you want a buff or want something.  If it is not a bother sure.  And I believe 99% of the EzServer players are the same.

peace

Peeps get buffed up,  blitz the content but never quite learn the skills  necessary to make it on their own.  In addition,  when content is blitzed the players are not truly invested in their toons and EZ.   

The core subject of this thread is increasing drop rates, specifically the drops required for the UW.    Well, how does having other higher tier toons help this?     Answer is that it doesn't, those players just become buyers thus increasing the demand on already scarce resources.

If you cannot play this game unbuffed and or cannot just roll a shaman, druid and cleric for buffs then this game isn't for you anyway.     
Bogreaper

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2017, 09:28:28 am »

I concur.  And I will add this, call it karma, or random number gods, or what ever, but there are some players that have alot better luck getting something to drop then others.

example.. scales in tov.  I get 3 green scales for every red.  Thoruz gets 2 reds for every green.  why? no clue.. how consistent is it?  Him and I have been comparing our scale drops since the last double loot.

so dropping back to help someone spawn widowmaker in abyss is always a plus.

Peace

and yes.. as noted above by me, the drop rate of tier zone essences has decrease drastically since march.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 64979
  • Total Topics: 5051
  • Online Today: 104
  • Online Ever: 8678
  • (December 19, 2022, 02:32:09 pm)