Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:28:08 am *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Magorian Exploit  (Read 8606 times)
Fecs

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2020, 07:21:26 am »

It did seem strange that there was magorian kills like every 30 seconds for hours after the original end time.

Personally I'd suggest a roll back to just before the event started for those characters that did the triggers/their bots and deletion of any loot from those kills as they did likely offer a lot of loot out to people as a side effect - minor punishments for exploiting just encourage it to continue next time. Either way  Sad
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 07:28:45 am by Fecs » Logged
slekky

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2020, 05:06:24 pm »

i would like to thank you for the awesome extended halloween event. dracawarrior and icestriker have helped me so many times while playing here.they are very nice players and funny lol. i do think that all who were involved should be named on the site.we all make mistakes and this is, and hopefully will be there only offense. i played eq for years and this is such a blast from the past.i have made some great friends along my short time here.hi sikkaan brogok. as for punishment i think posting the offenders names is shame enough.p.s. pleqase look into my guild request Tongue
Raygan
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2020, 10:05:47 am »

I have thought about this for a bit and talked to Icestriker....he is my friend so i am trying not to be biased in my analysis of the situation. I think that any account that participated in this exploit (but didn't loot any items from the chest Magorian drops) should be rolled back to before the event and suspended during next HW event.  Any account that participated in the exploit and LOOTED items from the treasure chest, that's a different matter....I am concerned because in the past I would jump on the BAN WAGON fast...but like I said i am biased as these guys are friends and guildies and i have a lot of respect for them all....it is very complicated but we do have a rather small community and many of these guys (not myself) are very helpful to the community....that should also play a roll.  If it was someone like me who didn't help other people that often I would say throw the book at them....I would not punish the entire community by banning the next HW event.  Maybe put the timer on Magorian again...disable zp in HW zone...make it so that the lockout timer on completion of the Magorian event locks all accounts out for 24 hours by ip address (if that is possible) so that other people aren't feeling screwed out of an inability to even spawn Magorian and thus inadvertantly fueling possible exploiting......

Hate's Most Hateful Hater
Kinetix

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2020, 12:23:58 pm »

Arkain, Draca, and Icestriker are all well known on the server for always being helpful. Ignoring this fact is not helpful. I don't know who else was involved as they didn't announce themselves here, but speaking from my experience with these 3 that makes me feel that I really don't have an issue. As far as I knew, all three of them didn't really benefit from "extra" farming, they were all maxed and even had MULTIPLE warriors maxed. Was it wrong? Yes, but as far as I know they caused no harm to other players. And it's far more likely they'd use those additional resources to help others (as is there track record BEFORE the incident, I would imagine that all this scrutiny would only cause them to be even more helpful). This isn't a competitive server really, I mean it kinda is with the leader board, but I don't think it's accurate nor does anyone care. There's no IRL monetary gain for them. This is a game, and even more than that, it's a splinter of a game (albeit imo better than the original). This was a self-serving exploit, no competitive advantage was gained. So here's my thoughts:

1.) Ban is not an option, even with the rules, I think it'd be silly to Ban 3 or more of the most influential and helpful members of this server.
2.) Personalized rollback - this is a possibility, it makes more work for Akka, but it does seem to be the best way
3.) Ban from next event - This may be a possibility, but again, with them being as influential and helpful to the server, this may be more of a punishment to the server.

Here's my idea (Something more subjective and less objective):

4.)  They are required to do "Community Service" hours, where on their honor ALL loot and time spent on the server for X * 8 hours (X being # of times Magorian was exploited) is used to serve others, ie; helping kill corals in Abyss, OC pulls, UW farming, etc.
This could be on their honor system, but we can even make it MORE categorical by having a thread for each offender and having people post in there how many hours they were helped until the total required "Community Service" is reached.

They did something wrong, but they didn't commit a crime, harm the server or get an UNFAIR competitive advantage (again, there's no advantage to be gained when there's no competition). They got greedy and thought they found a loot piñata. Look at it for what it is, there's no need to white knight this or try and look at it purely objectively. These aren't rando's here to harm the community and server, they are LARGE parts of this community and server.
Mersedez

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2020, 07:52:03 pm »

Self hazing is the key with vids so we can laugh.

Even if you were to roll their characters back to level 1 most of the guildies including myself would log back on and give them everything they need so they'd be back to where they were minus HW items within a week. Probably back in Sleepers in 2 weeks.

The population on the server already sucks and those 3 actually help everyone.

Dimur

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2020, 08:42:45 pm »

All 3 are both guildies and friends, but I don't know why people think that they shouldn't be held to the same standard as anyone in the same situation.  I don't know what penance needs to be exacted, but it should be a bit more than a shoulder shrug of indifference.
Kinetix

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2020, 12:04:24 am »

Judgment should never be done in a vacuum. Taking into account what they have/haven't done leading up to the event isn't a shrug of indifference; it's determining if this is behavior is a pattern or a one off. It's determining if this was a single bad judgment call or a constant goal of skirting the system.  Yes; in a MMO with HUNDREDs of THOUSANDs of players, you can be more strict because there's not enough time or capability to review the actions of the individual on this basis; but we are not even hundreds of players on this server... we're like maybe 50 people total? It's worth it to take the time and actually take action based on who they are, not JUST what they've done.

A repeat offender is not treated with the same judgment as a first time offender. A penitent individual who's shown a history of giving and helpfulness to the community should not be judged the same as someone who's given nothing to the community and has only sought to self-serve and constantly seek to exploit. Yes, we should try to hold people to the same standards when we cannot judge their character, but in this instance we CAN judge their character; so why are we shirking that responsibility?

I am not advocating for a shoulder shrug, but obviously taking into account who they are as a player and member of the community is necessary. To not do so would be foolish and callous.
warrior5

YAY

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2020, 11:05:29 pm »

Roll the offenders back and lock them out during next Halloween. No sense rolling everyone back because of a handful of people. If you do roll everyone back, I suggest you re-run the event with the timer back on for Mago.

Hank Hill

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2020, 11:31:33 am »

All 3 are both guildies and friends, but I don't know why people think that they shouldn't be held to the same standard as anyone in the same situation.  I don't know what penance needs to be exacted, but it should be a bit more than a shoulder shrug of indifference.

I agree. Rules are rules, you cant just save up enough karma points to get away with murder. Sparing them will onley make it seem like you can get on the nice list on the server, and then do what you want. I know i exaggerate, but whats done is done, and comming out when you get caught is not the same as reporting a bug after a few "tests"

If its just a slap on the wrist and a harsh talk, then it seems like you can get favors with the devs. Im sorry for the people who are involved.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 11:39:31 am by Hank Hill » Logged
Akkadius
Administrator
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2020, 04:39:26 am »

Thanks for everyone who has responded to the thread

• Original Magorian cooldown has been returned
  • The ability to bypass realm checks has been removed
  • Anyone who exploited Magorian this round and last round has had any DL/TL/ZP loot subtracted from the exploited kills

EZ Server GM
Natedog
Master

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2020, 02:57:16 pm »

Nice none of my stuff was taken away after this Smiley

-edit - I hope everyone knows I'm joking... I haven't been playing... so no gear taken away because I didn't exploit Smiley
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 09:25:55 pm by Natedog » Logged

neccos

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2020, 10:55:05 pm »

Wow, no Majorian gear rolled back, lotta <Origins> made out pretty good on that deal.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 10:51:44 am by neccos » Logged
Mersedez

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2020, 11:15:33 pm »

Akka just said you guys also need to haze yourself by waxing off your right eyebrow, walk to the crowded areas of your town for a mile without a mask, have a penis drawn on the left side of your cheek and record people's reaction.

True story.
neccos

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2020, 06:18:29 pm »

Jealousy is a very bad trait, I can feel your butthurt from here..

Jealous ? not at all I just prefer getting my loot the legit way sorry, obviously you don't agree with that concept.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 01:20:43 am by neccos » Logged
warrior5

YAY

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2020, 10:38:10 pm »

No exploited mago gear rolled back? Wha... what?

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 64969
  • Total Topics: 5050
  • Online Today: 74
  • Online Ever: 8678
  • (December 19, 2022, 02:32:09 pm)