Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:20:55 pm *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: gtx 3080  (Read 5322 times)
wolfegunr

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2020, 09:54:28 pm »

Did anyone else try to snag a GTX 3080 today?  What a fiasco!! I was up late last night and early this morning refreshing pages and clicking like crazy to try and snag one. I finally was able to get one in a cart from BestBuy and checked out with paypal... only to have it then say product unavailable as I completed the sale.  
Seems like a paper launch, the demand by FAR has exceeded the supply with sellers reporting having sold through all stocks within 5 minutes!
I went from thinking I would wait until all the hoopla died down to really wanting one when the specs and prices were rumored then confirmed, but I have nothing to show for my efforts and no idea when they will even be available. What a bummer.

I guess the PS5 presales were a joke too, and of course that's not even being released until November.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 09:56:13 pm by wolfegunr » Logged

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this board is now dumber for having read it. May God have mercy on your soul.
Zentail

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 11:28:51 pm »

I tried to get one too but I also missed it. One of my friends over at Nvidia said that the demand for this card is unimaginably higher than they could have possibly predicted and he "isn't even sure why." They supposedly manufactured more of this for launch than past years' cards and assumed it would be enough, but apparently it wasn't.

My guess was that the power is pretty extraordinary for a pretty low price. Lots of people (like me) haven't updated since 10XX series (I have 1060) and decided to skip the 20XX series altogether, so it could be the normal influx of 20XX series upgrading in addition to the massive number of us that decided the 20XX wasn't worth upgrading into and want the 30XX now.
wolfegunr

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2020, 02:25:03 am »

How they didn't know this was going to be so popular is beyond me, alot of us skipped the 20 series as it was not really an upgrade. My 1080ti is almost as good as a 2080 without paying any extra, and ray tracing really didn't add anything as no games supported it at the time.

This is a big upgrade in speed, ray tracing is now being utilized, and don't forget that bit coin miners are still very much a thing. There is a resurgence going on and this is THE most exciting piece of hardware in quite some time, the GPU being the bottleneck as we push into making 4k the standard in gaming. I've been on the bandwagon every since I went 4k and can't go back... the 3080 really is the maturation of this technology, making it very practical. We can actually have a chance to max current settings and still have a lot of potential to grow thanks to ray tracing requiring a lot of horse power and becoming more prevalent as we head into the future.

The pricing of the 3080 makes it a huge bargain as it surpasses cards that cost $1200 today. Furthermore, there is the 3090 looming on the horizon which is going to be a beast, the only thing preventing it from becoming the standard right off is the hefty price tag...and I am willing to bet that will be far more popular than they planned for as well. The PC world is abuzz with this and AMD's next offering; Nvidia pushed to be out first, but may have shot themselves in the foot by pissing everyone off with lack of availability.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 02:27:13 am by wolfegunr » Logged

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this board is now dumber for having read it. May God have mercy on your soul.
Rakharth

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2020, 11:00:23 am »

The shitty part is price is gonna go up im sure.

Raygan
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2020, 10:30:13 pm »

Well with all the 3080 cards crashing guess it was a good thing not many got them. Bright side though the new AMD cards are suppose to be cheaper and faster than the 3080's......

Hate's Most Hateful Hater
Zentail

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2020, 12:20:37 pm »

Well with all the 3080 cards crashing guess it was a good thing not many got them. Bright side though the new AMD cards are suppose to be cheaper and faster than the 3080's......

New cards crashing right when they come out isn't really even news. I see the same headlines every time AMD/Intel/Nvidia/Anyone launches a new anything graphics/processor-related.

And they'll probably be cheaper and not better performing/power saving/etc., just as they always have been (except for there one model that's still not as powerful despite being the same price as Nvidia's stuff every series). That could change, but we don't really know anything about the new Radeon cards yet. 99% of all leaks/guesses/estimates on the new Nvidia cards was straight up wrong, especially because the #1 estimate by like all sources said the new cards were going to start at $1500+ with an improved $2000+ version and a top-of-the-line $4000+ version. That proved to be woefully incorrect. Then the #2 guess was about 30% less power than they ended up actually having. Based on that, I'd assume the same leaks will be incorrect for the new Radeon cards as well. They could come out of the water with an over-the-top-powerful card for dirt cheap, but I'd say it unlikely based on history. Definitely wouldn't complain if it happens though.

Raygan
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2020, 06:57:24 am »

[/quote]

New cards crashing right when they come out isn't really even news. I see the same headlines every time AMD/Intel/Nvidia/Anyone launches a new anything graphics/processor-related.

[/quote]

These are crashing because of cheap capacitors and they were pushed out too early to beat AMD cards...they will "fix" it with driver updates to keep people from pushing the cards and creating unstable frequency BUT it just shows that Nvidea can be unseated...that is BIG news!

wolfegunr

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2020, 09:05:13 pm »

I think these cards were mainly the developer cards based on an all PSCAP design.
 I know EVGA had changed to a MLCC/POSCAP hybrid design, for their retail cards, citing the all POSCAP design did not pass their internal testing (colorful also had documentation on this.)

There does seem to still be room for improvement for sure, as even these cards when pushed at all have problems. So yeah, seems like first gen has some issues. Waiting for the second or third iteration would be wise, but patience has always been a virtue I've struggled with. However, in this situation it looks like I have no choice, and these issues will likely further delay future supplies.

I am not a devotee to any brand, and I relish competition in the market place as we the consumer benefit in the end. I don't know how big NAVI will perform, but if it is close and has similar support for ray tracing and better availablity with similar pricing, it could be a huge blow to NVIDIA...Nvidia's stocks are soaring at the moment, but this would crash it pretty fast.

I think NVIDIA deserves some criticism for their fiasco of a product launch, how could they not have known how popular these cards would be? We are all stuck inside, and people are spending like there is no tomorrow plus the 20 series was such a non event.

They weren't just short by a bit, not even by half which would be huge, no they were short by something like 30+ to 1. 30+ people trying to buy every 1 card they actually had in stock, and they aren't cheap... good price to performance, yes but still $700 bucks....which brings us to the 3090 launch.

WOW, this was even worse than the 3800... which we figured would happen, and these suckers cost $1500+. They have done nothing to stop bots, I experienced it first hand as I carted a card on three different sites and checked out only to then see the message product unavailable and then entire site crash. I bought a card from newegg... then best buy... then evga... went through whole checkout process and my info is all stored  couple clicks all I had to do.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 10:49:34 pm by wolfegunr » Logged

wolfegunr

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2020, 11:09:46 am »

Looks like Nvidia is doing something about the next release, the 3070:
It's no secret that Nvidia has a marketing team that's great at their jobs — perhaps even a bit too good. With the launch of the RTX 3080 and RTX 3090, demand for the new GPUs was so high that Nvidia was not only unable to keep up, but it got beaten into the ground for not ensuring there were enough cards available. That's not even taking into account the stability issues, which were later addressed with the 456.55 drivers. Now, Nvidia wants to do it right for take three, and has therefore delayed the launch of the RTX 3070 cards to October 29th, pushed back from the original October 15th launch date.
 "Also of note is that the new launch date is one day after AMD's planned Radeon RX 6000 reveal." -toms hardware

"Production of GeForce RTX 3070 graphics cards are ramping quickly. We’ve heard from many of you that there should be more cards available on launch day. To help make that happen, we are updating the availability date to Thursday, October 29th." - Nvidia

I hope this also means more 3080s will be produced, and now I'm going to wait to see how amd performs and will buy whichever is better.

Raygan
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2020, 02:26:06 pm »

On the bright side I am hearing that the AMD cards may be better performing cards than the Nvidea (as in their $500 card is equivalent or better than the Nvidea $700 card)...if that is true then we may see some big things changing in the near future on the enthusiast level!

wolfegunr

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2020, 01:05:29 pm »

RTX 3070 was released today. It went pretty much like every other 30 series launch to date, I saw some in stock at newegg.com... an MSI one. I tried to buy but it was gone before I could complete checkout. The bots win again. Or so I thought as I strambled to cart another lucky find at BESTBUY.com....I in fact completed the entire checkout proceedure with paypal. Then the screen just went black, no message. Could not see a confirmation on BestBuy nor on paypal....I guess it was a ghost transaction that never really happened.
EVGA is really trying to do something different, que lines based on email notifications. I signed up right away as soon as I saw a 3070 come up, having no idea if anything would come of it or not. I then went to sleep after messing with all this crap for 3 hours.

I woke up to a miracle...EVGA sent me a purchase link, I had 8 hours to buy one. I got it!!!  An EVGA 3070 (plus a nifty bonus of an EVGA T-shirt which I will wear everywhere) for $499. This card will trade blows with a 2080ti, so I'm pretty damn happy with it. I really wanted a 3080, but maybe it is for the best that didn't work out anyawys.

Don't forget, big Navi is around the corner and launches in two weeks also. I am going to really be watching their launch as well, they may very well have a bit better performance at a lower price point.  The big question for me is how they are going to handle ray-tracing, other than that I would also buy a big Navi in a heartbeat.

Raygan
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2020, 06:06:53 pm »

Big Navi will have ray tracing. I am waiting until Nov 18 to get a 6850XT....hoping AMD learned from Nvidea's paper launch and have the cards to meet demand.  If they do, they will strip the crown off Nvidea's head. AMD had their press release for Big Navi yesterday (10-28-1010) and that's where I got my information from...am super excited as they claim it is a better GPU than the 30 series.

Zentail

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2020, 10:05:32 pm »

Big Navi will have ray tracing. I am waiting until Nov 18 to get a 6850XT....hoping AMD learned from Nvidea's paper launch and have the cards to meet demand.  If they do, they will strip the crown off Nvidea's head. AMD had their press release for Big Navi yesterday (10-28-1010) and that's where I got my information from...am super excited as they claim it is a better GPU than the 30 series.

I'm pretty excited myself. I am going to wait for third-party benchmarks to come out first, but it's looking pretty promising.
wolfegunr

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2020, 07:41:54 pm »

Big Navi releases tomorrow!!!  Neat-o. I am sure they will be rare, even though AMD said they would be more prepared. Obviously everything tech is in high demand right now, but we should have adequate bot protection by now... but we don't. It will not stop me from trying to get ahold of one though.

I did get an RTX 3800 on the second wave... the only reason was because EVGA's Que system actually works. They are the only ones that are doing this right and making sure they are selling to actual people, 1 per registered, verified account.

I tried to get ahold of an AMD 5 series CPU also.. but no dice. If anything those went faster than anything before... at least I was able to put the 3000 series cards in my basket only to be told they were sold out. I never even got to see the cpu instock... this despite AMD's Frank Azor insisting it would not be a paper launch, that tons were sent out.

I really want to pair an AMD 5 series cpu and a 6k series card together and see what kind of real life performance it offers in comparison to the 3800. The cards have 16GB of ram on them which is quite impressive and may come into play when gaming at 4k with all details on.

There is also the high speed memory access which allows the CPU to directly access the faster video ram which is said to give a 4-5% boost in performance. It may prove to be a bit of a gimmick, though NVIDIA actually commented on this, saying that they should be able to use a similar feature (regardless of  CPU) via a firmware update. Apparently this is apart of the PCI-E spec, which begs the question of why it has not been utilized before.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 07:54:30 pm by wolfegunr » Logged

wolfegunr

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2020, 06:08:44 pm »

Well...the Rx 6800 and 6800 XT launch was even worse than the Nvidia. They even delayed the launch of the 6000 series, albeit by only a couple of weeks, to shore up the numbers they said. Sure seems like there were fewer to not only me but PC Magazine had the same exact experience as I did.. a brief add to cart button then nothing on Newegg and even their own site AMD.com.
Hell, even BH simply chose to bow out and only had a message when you searched for 6800. Basically they refused to participate in the circus at all this time around.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 07:13:15 pm by wolfegunr » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 64987
  • Total Topics: 5053
  • Online Today: 2016
  • Online Ever: 8678
  • (December 19, 2022, 02:32:09 pm)