Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:54:02 pm *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Christmas Stuff???  (Read 6943 times)
Hank Hill

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2021, 05:50:09 pm »

On that note. we aren't guaranteed an event. Akka felt that the people earlier this year ruined the spirit of the event and has not wanted to put it back because of it. I'm sure at some point he will either come up with some new event or fully fix the issues that were brought to light earlier this year.

If that is really the reason he did this, then im back at, why the hell did the persons involved just get a light tap on the wrist?! So he wont reward the server a little holiday fun, because a few people are rotten. We all knew this would happen
Ginge
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2021, 12:44:51 pm »

On that note. we aren't guaranteed an event. Akka felt that the people earlier this year ruined the spirit of the event and has not wanted to put it back because of it. I'm sure at some point he will either come up with some new event or fully fix the issues that were brought to light earlier this year.

If that is really the reason he did this, then im back at, why the hell did the persons involved just get a light tap on the wrist?! So he wont reward the server a little holiday fun, because a few people are rotten. We all knew this would happen

Yeah, that's a little messed up...

Draca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2021, 01:28:37 pm »

I think he's probably just really busy.

Draca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2021, 04:21:04 pm »

That's an asinine statement Tank. He's not making excuses, he just explains that he has real life commitments, as well as his contributions to the EQ Emulator project as a whole, which are substantial. He was volunteered into taking over the server, when likely no one else had the ability too, and he's continued to make upgrades to the stability of the server, while supporting much of the work of the EQ Emulator community as a whole. I get frustrated too, but this isn't his only responsibility. I think we'll see some activity soon.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 04:25:05 pm by Draca » Logged

RedDwarf

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2021, 06:46:43 am »

That's an asinine statement Tank. He's not making excuses, he just explains that he has real life commitments, as well as his contributions to the EQ Emulator project as a whole, which are substantial. He was volunteered into taking over the server, when likely no one else had the ability too, and he's continued to make upgrades to the stability of the server, while supporting much of the work of the EQ Emulator community as a whole. I get frustrated too, but this isn't his only responsibility. I think we'll see some activity soon.

Yeah, i did hear from Akka back in December and just says he's been real busy, RL always will take priority over this sandbox, but would be nice just to hear from GMs on forum now and again, even just to say hello  Grin blah blah

Red
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 06:57:59 pm by Dimur » Logged

crusad0r

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2021, 09:23:04 pm »

I admit I did stop playing EZ because of this. I don't care about the XP bonus, but it was a sign that the GM cared about us. I notice that server updates are getting less and less frequent, and it looks like 3 months+ now. its been since Oct 31 since we heard something last. I remember the days when the GM's would pop in and say hi all the time, now it feels like that time is over. I'm not complaining, I'm not upset by this, but I am not enthusiastic anymore to play on a server that feels like its been put out to pasture.
Akkadius
Administrator
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2021, 05:00:08 pm »

Let me frame things again since this appears to be a post and a theme I see from time to time

Server has been up for well over 10 years free to the community

Server will continue to be online as long as there are players to enjoy it

The server was Hunter's baby and could have flat out died with him if I didn't coordinate with his family to crack the password on the server that was at his father's, put all of the data on a HD and ship it out so we could get it up and running again 6 years ago. There was a ton of effort to make this happen because no one wanted to see this community go and it continues to be that way

We have far exceeded life expectation of the server. When he asked me to keep "hosting" the server, I didn't want to because its his baby that he share with Nate (Basher) and they honestly did NOT expect EZ to last past T8. Each tier they did they completely blew numbers to a point of ridiculousness and they had serious doubts the server would be able to live beyond that point. There are many technical challenges to consider

I think a lot of people heavily underestimate what it takes to run a server. The burnout, the energy, the longevity of running it year over year, issues, bugs, triaging, new content. Some people can do it well, but so many people get burnt out within a few months and the server barely lasts a year.

I support ProjectEQ which is the vanilla project that every single EQEmulator server is built off of, I host the server and help the team of 10+ do what they need to do to create content which involves tooling; backend support; feature support

I support EQEmulator and lead a lot of efforts and have done so for the latter part of 10+ years now, the amount of time I've invested into not just EZ Server but the community at large is mind blowing. So even if you don't directly play on EZ all the time, you are definitely playing a collective product of the massive open source community we've fostered for a long time

Now, that doesn't take away from the future. I have had the busiest year of my life last year, between COVID, given 6 months to build a new platform at a huge company that we were acquired by, building a house and dealing with all kinds of things in between. I don't expect folks to understand this or have sympathy for this but that's just been my reality. If I had it my way, I would love to work on EZ / EQEmulator full time - but that definitely is not a current reality - but I would like to work towards having time to make dope shit for EZ

Whether or not I directly have time myself, we can borrow on the strength of the community members to keep the spirit of EZ server continuing on. There is no "stronghold" grip here - anyone who is willing, capable and can actually contribute is more than welcome to. You have to keep in mind though that it takes a certain level of ability / talent to be able to build content and do it in a way that doesn't fall completely flat. There's a lot of pressure on anyone who tries to take on the next level of incremental content and challenges that folks don't exactly understand. Anyone who does take them on will see oversight to ensure that things have continuity from the previous tiers

This game isn't going anywhere for the next 10 years, easily

EZ Server GM
akpainter

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2021, 05:25:24 pm »

Great post Akka...

Just from a different perspective (I was busy, not as busy as you but busy), a lot of the players here are working from home or out of work. 

It is a testament to what has been built that people flock here to enjoy it and help escape the reality of our last year.  This community has helped a bunch of people connect in a time that we were lacking that.  With that being said too much free time leads to issues or keyboard warriors.

Your issues are unique and your accomplishments are great in the EMU community but we also want to be a little selfish and get a little of your time.  Some day this will fade and RL will rule us all again but not today.  I'm sure some original people will want new content and fixed content and want, want, want but the majority of the people just want to see a post from you/rent saying howdy.

Glad you got to drop in today and read about Peeing on the BBQ

As far as the development/management stuff my hats off to you guys, running a small business is like hearding cats and the EMU community is doing it for free and distanced.

Just my 2 cents
Zentail

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2021, 05:28:51 pm »

Sorry to hear how incredibly busy things have been Akka. I know not everyone understands it all the time. Most of us (well, I hope most) understand things going on. We appreciate the immense amount of work you've put into EQEmulator as a whole over the years. Who knows where things would be without you. Being here specifically, we're super grateful for your part in EZ and the taking over after Hunter to keep the community alive.

Whether or not I directly have time myself, we can borrow on the strength of the community members to keep the spirit of EZ server continuing on. There is no "stronghold" grip here - anyone who is willing, capable and can actually contribute is more than welcome to. You have to keep in mind though that it takes a certain level of ability / talent to be able to build content and do it in a way that doesn't fall completely flat. There's a lot of pressure on anyone who tries to take on the next level of incremental content and challenges that folks don't exactly understand. Anyone who does take them on will see oversight to ensure that things have continuity from the previous tiers

This is somewhere I would love to help out but I'm probably in the same boat you're in. While I know I am capable of doing the stuff, time is a hard factor to come by. I tried communicating this to some people in /ooc a few weeks back as people were talking about wanting to see new content. As a programmer, I began grasping the concept of pressure that can be involved, but I don't think I fully understood until I actually developed and shipped a game. Sometimes you finish something and you have that sense of wanting a new project. Sometimes you want to keep working on the project but there's a lack of money coming in from it and you have to leave it, even worse when in comparison to a project like EZ where there's no money at all. Without understanding, people just want more even though it's far from that simple.

As mentioned, my time is sometimes limited (though I get time off occasionally and have far more time than you), but if you feel there's anything that you could use help with, I'd be more than happy to help when I can. I know it's also a situation where you don't exactly want lots of hands touching things which can be hard to manage.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 05:31:57 pm by Zentail » Logged
warrior5

YAY

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2021, 12:32:19 am »

Akka if you need any help with EZ consider me an asset. I think my playing days might be numbered but I’d love to give back to the community as a content creator if needed.

Also, if anyone on the board is interested in developing a new MMORPG with me I’ve been working on one for some time and it’s a lot of fun. Even if it’s just for a small group I think it’s tons of fun. Hosting a server with a EQ emulator is fun and all but I think we should make an EZ inspired game which isn’t based on 20 year old code. Just sayin. DM me if you’re interested!

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 64987
  • Total Topics: 5053
  • Online Today: 98
  • Online Ever: 8678
  • (December 19, 2022, 02:32:09 pm)