Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:41:47 am *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: GSS bottleneck  (Read 5725 times)
Sarthin
Administrator
Legend

Common sense is not so common

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2022, 06:56:46 pm »

...but a general feeling among everyone I talk with "Except maybe Sarthin".

Huh?

Otto

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2022, 07:09:46 pm »

...but a general feeling among everyone I talk with "Except maybe Sarthin".

Huh?

I only mean to say that I haven't seen you mention any concern over shortage of GSoA / GSS / etc. That's all, mate.

Sarthin
Administrator
Legend

Common sense is not so common

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2022, 07:15:31 pm »

Oh, I have voiced my opinion both here in the gss thread as well as in the gsoa thread.

Raygan
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2022, 07:33:45 pm »

...heck I remember when it was only RoA 100!

Same, but it was RoA50 max =)

Was it?  I don't remember...was a long time ago...could have swore it was 100....

Hate's Most Hateful Hater
Pubis

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2022, 08:10:17 pm »

I will take ball crushingly hard every single day of the week above mind numbing zone pulling low danger stuff for what amounts to aesthetic upgrades on characters whose equipment doesnt matter. The absolute best part of this server is hitting those walls and then building your crew to overcome it, so let us fail if we are going to fail. I've played on this server for over a decade with lots of breaks and long ago there was a really bad habit of conflating repetitive with hard, farming gss isn't hard it's just boring.

I'm really excited to zone into vp and try to figure out how to not get my ass kicked unfortunately I'm guessing that will mean completing my main tanks UA before anyone else gets any which puts me further behind in ST keying but I know I'll just quit if I have to log in always after day and just zp t10 for an ultra rare drop that happens once every week or two.
Draca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2022, 09:21:54 pm »

I'll hit the points I want to address right now. Understand, this isn't to simply defend myself, nor do I take this stuff personally, but I obviously have opinions about certain things, and they quite possibly won't always jive with the community. I may live in California, but can't make decisions about the server based on a popular vote.

Tier10 takes absolutely FOREVER to complete, even with triple loot and zone pulls, and feels like an artificially gnarly triple-faction grind intended to be EZ's final zone
So was Abyss when it was released. Yes, Sunderock isn't easy, and it's not fast to work through, but it won't be the final zone in the game for too much longer, but will remain another hell level type grind on the progression ladder. If people choose to quit because of it's difficulty, that's up to them. People have been quitting at various stages of progression for a long time, it doesn't always mean it needs to be changed, and I don't think the progression part of Sunderock needs to be.

UCv4 farming sucks, it's not even fun at all, and the drop rates are so random that some folks have seen half dozen, while others have seen zero

Everyone has an equal chance for drops of UC4's, RNG as always can be finnicky. From the opening of Sleeper's Tomb until I quit playing, I killed at least 1000 Kerafyrm's, never got a single UC4. I would agree the Rose drops for questing the UC4 are a little all over the place, but it's a powerful item, it's not supposed to be automatic, and the number of drops in VP are considerably higher than questing or Kerafyrm drops were producing in ST.

Halloween no longer allows zone pulls, which means those of us that missed that don't have the 20million+ surplus AA's that the guys who were able to ZP currently have, on many characters (Maybe all). This also affected the ability to refresh stock of ZP spears, triples, doubles, augs, and the awesome gear from the event

You can actually farm HoS quite efficiently without zone pulling it. It's been admitted it was a mistake to allow zone pulling it to begin with, so there are some people who benefited from that advantage, but it doesn't mean that you can't farm what you need quite quickly pulling the zone, or zone areas normally. Yes, it's  more work, it actually requires more than equipping Guardian Charm and facerolling a zone pull. Halloween is an excellent zone, it has rewarding quests, and interesting bosses, but in no way is zone pulling the only reasonable way to farm it.

GSoA have now become the prime currency, as we need 52 for the earring (Required or you do no damage), and another 50 for the Legendary Ring of the Ages (Completely game changing, folks will view this as a tank requirement). They also drop less frequently than GSS, at least in my experience.

Yes, they are indeed a prime currency, they certainly are more common than GSS's, although they certainly have renewed interest..

Most of the grumbling is due to lack of key drops that we need to have "FUN" here, which is the main point of playing the game. While a good RPG grind is rewarding, I feel things may be reaching a breaking point for many players here.

If you're referring to the key quest to get into boss rooms, how easy should it be? If it's not done in a day, it's too much? It's not a monthlong ordeal to get keys, sure RNG plays a part, but it requires a single key for the whole raid to access the room, not every character to have their own. Zone loot drops are quite good, maybe UC4's aren't falling out the sky, but given the loot logs I can see, people are doing pretty well. My definition of fun may be different than the average player, but working through a quest that ultimately (literally) opens up new mobs or new loot, is more rewarding when you finally complete it, than simply walking up to the bosses and smashing them.
Took 'key drops' a little too literally...
New players can't easily find EZ

This point I go agree on. Unfortunately the EQEmulator login is jank, and if the server drops off the EQEmu server status page, the only way to restore it is to reset EZ, sometimes time and again, until it gets picked up. This isn't something that's fixable from our side, unfortunately.

Final thought:

I am not here to make changes to make anything easier, just for the sake of making it easier. Yes, people may quit if they get to a point in the game they don't like, or they feel stalled by progression, that has always been true. That being said, I don't want EZ Server's population to dwindle to the point it's a dying community, but I plan on combating that with new content, not gimping previous content to get people into it quicker. Yes, some progression sucks more than others, some quests suck more than others, we all know this, we've all played through it. Neither ST or VP was intended to be a progression zone, ST was Rent's first solo zone development, as VP was mine. They are kept simple on purpose, and we both did the best we could given our experience and abilities. That being said, while Rent moved off after launching ST, I have no such intentions with VP. I have learned a lot both in the development of VP, as well as the weeks following it's launch on what works, and what doesn't, and I'll be using that in T11. There are some issues in VP that still need to be worked out, and they will be, but I'm clearly still learning. As I always have, I want to know what people think, things like the class balance survey will be heavily referenced during T11 and beyond, and I'll do my best to make classes relevant, but VP was never really going to be that.

As most are aware, I was a player not long ago. I was banging my head against the same walls you have, or are now. I also know that sometimes the end of the struggle is a reward in itself, and being handed everything isn't fun or rewarding, as it then has no value. I know the same feelings of thinking things are unfair, or quests long, but ultimately I worked through them. EZ will continue. I didn't give up playing on the server I love, with a great community, and friends, to let it wither, but I won't make it less challenging either.

Finally, the point of this post to begin with, GSS are out there. I can see them being looted, and I can see people holding them. I understand if people want to play it straight, but making reasonable trades at the end of the game in order to progress isn't breaking the game, it's part of what the community is there for. Start auctioning for them, I'm sure you'll find some people willing to make some reasonable trades.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 09:05:44 am by Draca » Logged

Dokplayer2

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2022, 03:38:01 am »

Not to derail the thread too much and start talking about halloween but given that the event is available for only a limited amount of time and zone pulls have now been disabled, I honestly would recommend increasing the trigger rate of bosses to compensate. That zone was really so well done it would be nice if it was available year round just to give us more content. You can get rid of the double, triple loot, and zone pulls if you want the quests and everything else are rewarding enough.
wolfegunr

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2022, 09:55:29 pm »

*I modified the HW zone bit to better reflect my thoughts*

I agree very strongly with what Draca said about T10. If there is no achievement to completing that zone, what is the point? I know I am not alone in thinking that cheapening the value of GSS by making them more common would be a great injustice to the struggle that is T10.

Yes it can get old and you can burn out... my advice is to take a break and don't make it a job. T10 when done in chunks is very rewarding and I think fun...even though I have put something like 50 toons and helped many others through it.

I am a bit bummed about not being able to ZP Holloween, but I feel the logic is sound here. Being able to zp it really diminishes the experience...I would also agree that named mobs NEED to have a better chance to spawn. They are rare even with ZP and without it would take forever to see a specific one. LIKE 2X AT LEAST.

I also would like to see it more often, but don't think it should be available all the time. Maybe for like a week every two months or something would be about perfect...or 4 days at the beginning of every month would be even better.

Thanks again Draca and Akkadius for all you do. It does my heart good to see this server still chugging along.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 12:38:19 pm by wolfegunr » Logged

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this board is now dumber for having read it. May God have mercy on your soul.
Pubis

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2022, 10:57:23 pm »

I agree very strongly with what Draca said about T10. If there is no achievement to completing that zone, what is the point? I know I am not alone in thinking that cheapening the value of GSS by making them more common would be a great injustice to the struggle that is T10.

You are conflating two things: T10 and GSS. T10 is fine. It's a well balanced zone where you are likely to struggle at first (unless boosted) and eventually be able to master it. The factions go quick by the end and around that time you'll be finishing up PB. At that point you level to 79 and you should be "done" just like in every other zone (I assume this will be enough to enter T11 when the time comes). The real issue is that when you finish the zone you'll have only a few GSS. I ended up with 3 total, at those rates I would have to do T10 6 times just to key my squad for ST. I can't recommend enough getting away from this regressive mindset that grinding hours and hours at trivial content is an accomplishment that makes for good gameplay.  It's not a struggle and really not worth getting a sense of "achievement" from, take pride in creating engaging and interesting content not mind numbing low risk grinding.

Lest you think I just want things to be easy, I've been playing on this server since 2012. I've never accepted anything from anybody on purpose. The economy is broken because players sit at the cap and so pretty much every sub-top tier resource has 0 value to those players. I got 3 GSOA today, I could have keyed basically an entire group for ST today with that but I'm not interested in skipping through content like that. However, I'm just trying to point out that there's a serious problem in moving past T10 and the rates are very out of wack.
Natedog
Master

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2022, 12:39:07 pm »

What does GSS stand for I'm a noob now

Ginge
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2022, 12:51:30 pm »

For Ultimate Armour Quest...

http://wiki.ezserver.online/Glowing_Sun_Shard

Tank
Fugitive
Legend

TROLL KING

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2022, 05:41:15 pm »

What does GSS stand for I'm a noob now

Nothing changes!!!

Noobers

Same questions my noobbutt had too heheh

Quoted for the Brotherhood of Warriors
"I want my wizard to cast Fugitives instead of fireballs.
We can't always get what we want. ;-)"
-Hate"
wolfegunr

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2022, 12:27:32 pm »

I still say don't make GSS more available. They can be traded for, and everyone doesn't need a bunch of GSS. This zone is a gut check, UA is very high-end.

I think making this more available doesn't only cheapen T10 progress, it cheapens the whole experience. I think that way too many people have been pushed through T10... faction is over way too quickly is the issue, not the rarity of GSS (I know this from first-hand experience, I realize I assisted too many too much. My heart was in the right place but I shoulda thought of the big picture consequence.)

I feel the same way about GSoA. You only *need* it on your main war. Everyone else is a bonus. If you fought through the tiers and through T10 you will have at least two toons, for example, your MT and ST with ear 50s and on the way to getting a third done. There are other viable alternatives for DPS, every monk/pali/etc doesn't need an earring.

GSS and Gsoa are the real currency on this server, and to a lesser extent, essences. Introducing more is directly inflating the economy, thus literally cheapening the experience for people who put in the time to farm resources. Farming resources is an essential aspect to this game and one of the principals EQ was founded on, and we both love it and hate it.

Anyone saying they are about to quit...believe me, I have been there. And I realized I was mainly just being whiny. I was trying to get too far too fast and taking the content and grind for granted. My intention here is not to insult anyone, only to relate as I can with my personal experience. This is not a job, it is a nostalgic/hobby project. Every project like this has setbacks, gut checks, and frustrating moments. It is a good idea to step away when it becomes too much of a grind and return later.

BTW, I am willing to help when I am on to get over a hump. Again, I will not hand hold as I did in the past, but I am willing to help.
As for the new zone, I am a newb all over again and have yet to give it a proper go. I have been very busy as of late and have not been on much.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 12:46:24 pm by wolfegunr » Logged

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this board is now dumber for having read it. May God have mercy on your soul.
Pubis

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2022, 02:18:10 pm »

I still say don't make GSS more available. They can be traded for, and everyone doesn't need a bunch of GSS. This zone is a gut check, UA is very high-end.

The real point here is please just disconnect T10 and GSS. GSS can still be rare and whatever status symbol you want, but don't stop progression while people farm them. Many of the people who glorify what they've done or how much effort they've put into this or that have farmed this stuff while the server sat for a solid month on 3x loot between gms or by having powerful friends ZP over and over with ill-gotten spears. As someone that has never interacted, grouped or traded with anyone else on the server, I'm telling you you'll hit 79 with your raid and still be dozens of GSS short of the current requirements. In fact, it's probably worse for me because I actually did all three factions one at a time.

I think making this more available doesn't only cheapen T10 progress, it cheapens the whole experience. I think that way too many people have been pushed through T10... faction is over way too quickly is the issue, not the rarity of GSS (I know this from first-hand experience, I realize I assisted too many too much. My heart was in the right place but I shoulda thought of the big picture consequence.)

Then up the faction requirement but realize that if you want it to match the imagined "difficulty" of farming GSS for your whole raid that is currently required you are talking about making the faction grind 5-6 times longer.

I feel the same way about GSoA. You only *need* it on your main war. Everyone else is a bonus. If you fought through the tiers and through T10 you will have at least two toons, for example, your MT and ST with ear 50s and on the way to getting a third done. There are other viable alternatives for DPS, every monk/pali/etc doesn't need an earring.

GSOA don't hard gate content so do whatever you like, also speaking as someone who actually has grinded alone without any help, I've  have one level 43 earring and am out of gsoa. I'm sure if someone is ZPing T10 on double/triple loot while you do T10 you might end up with multiple earrings. Doing it the right way, you will not... which is fine and totally doesn't matter since GSOA doesn't gate progress.

GSS and Gsoa are the real currency on this server, and to a lesser extent, essences. Introducing more is directly inflating the economy, thus literally cheapening the experience for people who put in the time to farm resources. Farming resources is an essential aspect to this game and one of the principals EQ was founded on, and we both love it and hate it.

Again I think we agree, I don't care about gss or gsoa except that they currently hard gate content

Anyone saying they are about to quit...believe me, I have been there. And I realized I was mainly just being whiny. I was trying to get too far too fast and taking the content and grind for granted. My intention here is not to insult anyone, only to relate as I can with my personal experience. This is not a job, it is a nostalgic/hobby project. Every project like this has setbacks, gut checks, and frustrating moments. It is a good idea to step away when it becomes too much of a grind and return later.

BTW, I am willing to help when I am on to get over a hump. Again, I will not hand hold as I did in the past, but I am willing to help.
As for the new zone, I am a newb all over again and have yet to give it a proper go. I have been very busy as of late and have not been on much.

It's not like this is some task that is just so hard I'm going to quit, I'm just saying that most people aren't going to sit around praying for GSS every month or so while annihilating single loot instances, there's not a lot of motivation to log in. It's not fun. On the other hand, if there was some content that was too hard for me to do without this gear I need to grind for then I'd be all for it, but I think we all know my cleric or rogue or whoever doesn't need 3 pieces of UA for my group to be successful in ST. It's been said in this thread already, gear only matters on the MT so sitting around trying to farm what amounts to an ultra-rare key isn't that fun.

The problem has been already partially solved, I can now move on to VP once I finish up with T10 and that'll be good enough for me.

The last thing I'll say is that what made EQ good was the ever-present danger. Dying deep in a dungeon threatened your entire weekend. Forgetting to bind when you went across the continent cost you a day of your life. The principle that made EQ so addictive was the way it could punish you and the way it could lay you low like that was proportionate to the heights you felt for accomplishments.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 02:22:10 pm by Pubis » Logged
Ginge
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2022, 02:39:20 pm »

Without UA you won't survive in VP so the removal of the requirement was a bit of a puzzle for me to be honest...if anywhere, remove it from Sleeper and put a 3 piece check on VP instead of 5...

At the end of the day everyone will play the way the want and everyone will have different opinions on what is best... The people that have done t10 and gotten the gss to flag all their toons really don't want anyone else to have it easy because they didn't have it easy, as if upping the drop rate by .5% is going to have some drastic effect on the server that it won't be able to recover from..

The mentality of "It was really hard when I did it so it has to be hard for everyone else" Needs to be addressed...The drop rate was pitiful to keep people in T10 because there wasn't anything to do after that, now there are two zones after T10 and the drop rate has stayed the same and the GSS have been added to another two zones 1 in which the drop rate has been increased(No idea about sleeper)...

The fact that I was able to purchase 16 GSS from one person in VP just shows you how much more often they seem to be dropping in a tier two above the quest zone, which as I've said many times, is a flawed way to go about it...

Where plat was useless apart from augs/uw/soa, it's now the hot commodity along with GsOA.

Tank
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 64979
  • Total Topics: 5051
  • Online Today: 62
  • Online Ever: 8678