Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:10:58 pm *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Apologies, slight delay...  (Read 2446 times)
Draca
Administrator

View Profile
« on: November 13, 2022, 08:56:56 am »

Update

As today was my 'at the latest' for launching Tunare, and that won't launch today, wanted to post a quick update about what's going on.

First off, EZ Server is due for a server code update. There have been several challenges working on Tunare, most of them related to our database schema not being current, resulting in several critical tools (Spire and PEQ Editor) not being fully functional. While I can manually enter database values, that's not an ideal situation when tools exist to do it. This update hopefully can be applied to the Test server in the coming days, followed by a call to help test stability there, and eventually a push to our production (live) server.

Secondly, my business had a substantial database corruption issue, which cannot be corrected automatically (back up data source was inaccessible). So I've been working through over 45000 customer entries to verify and correct any anomalous data. This is an absolute nightmare, both in the amount of work involved, and the issue's impact on the ability for my business to function smoothly, and ultimately has completely pulled me away from anything EZ-related. I expect there is another 5-7 days of work involved, after which I will be able to get back into EZ. This will affect....

Rallos Event moved to 11/27

Due to the above mentioned work issues, I am moving the next Rallos event to 11/27. More details and times as we get closer.

Apologies for the delays, thank you for understanding...

-Draca

Pubis

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2022, 10:20:02 am »

Thanks for keeping us up to date Draca! Take care of your stuff, EZ will be here! We appreciate your effort.
Miriya

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2022, 06:34:38 am »

No worries, Draca.  Tend to the RL world issues first.  Thank you for all that you do for EZ server!
wolfegunr

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2022, 10:06:19 am »

I do not think anyone fully realizes what it is to work a full time job where you are working a demanding position and doing this on the side. I would say budget some time for yourself so you don't get burned out.

The holidays are coming up, don't be afraid to put this stuff off, we appreciate your hard work and dedication.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this board is now dumber for having read it. May God have mercy on your soul.
Sarthin
Administrator
Legend

Common sense is not so common

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2022, 05:51:10 pm »

You the best, you know this Smiley

Good luck fixing your business issues. EZ will as always be waiting.

Draca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2022, 12:29:21 pm »

Just a quick update, still working a few things out with the Tunare encounter. Sometimes things seem like an interesting idea or boss mechanic, but end up not being that interesting at all. After getting rid of most of the bugs and script glitches, what sounded like an interesting fight on paper, was ultimately just a long fight with a bunch of adds, with almost no mechanics to learn, or strategies to work out. That's not what I had in mind, so I'm making changes now, so it's quality content when launched, without having to make a bunch of changes once it goes live.

Along those lines, what boss fight mechanics would you like to see implemented in the future? It can be something that's already been done before, but maybe not used on EZ, or something you've thought would be fun, within the bounds of a boxed server. I'm always open to suggestions, and like hearing what people would like to see in future content. While I may be responsible for new content, and ultimately have to make some decisions one way or the other, it's also all of your guys' server, and I want to make sure the content goes in a direction people will enjoy playing.

Rallos make up dates!

Is there anyone who would be willing/able to manage running the make up event? There would be an NPC that would respond to a certain person's commands, and would allow them to start the event, depop and repop the zone, and would have to take attendance. I am pressed for free time right now to run it.

Miriya

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2022, 09:16:54 pm »

Draca, If no one else has volunteered yet I am available to assist you with the Rallos make up event if you like.  I can do that same time like last one for this Sunday 12/11 1:30pm CST for a couple hours.   I might be able to help for stragglers on Monday 12/12, late afternoon around 4pm CST if needed.  Let me know.
GebbonEQ

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2022, 07:04:27 pm »

I'm not sure on mechanics for boxing.    I tried the Hidden Forest server and eventually gave up because it had knockbacks/feign death mechanics from Ssra Temple.   If it gets elaborate on those I'd try it but probably wouldn't want the grind to complete a tier to be like T10 length of time with those mechanics.
Denzig

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2022, 08:02:34 am »

My 2cp:

Don't try to reinvent the wheel. You're one guy and any new content you put out will be received favorably. Please don't kill yourself trying to code/script a ton of odd mechanics into an encounter.

We've largely been a tank and spank server from jump so hard hitting mobs requiring healing, debuffs that can be cured but will kill you if ignored, and basic stuff like adds will go a long way for EZ encounters. As long as we have a few seconds to address the situation, without being insta-dead, it's all good.

I find folks clamoring for "make it hard!" tend to also say "it's too hard!" once they wipe a few times.

Finally, Death Touch sucks. So does being mezzed or charmed.

Grin

Denzig <STONE>
Draca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2022, 04:34:26 pm »

My 2cp:

Don't try to reinvent the wheel. You're one guy and any new content you put out will be received favorably. Please don't kill yourself trying to code/script a ton of odd mechanics into an encounter.

We've largely been a tank and spank server from jump so hard hitting mobs requiring healing, debuffs that can be cured but will kill you if ignored, and basic stuff like adds will go a long way for EZ encounters. As long as we have a few seconds to address the situation, without being insta-dead, it's all good.

I find folks clamoring for "make it hard!" tend to also say "it's too hard!" once they wipe a few times.

Finally, Death Touch sucks. So does being mezzed or charmed.

Grin

Funny enough, after asking the question, I started to think about what the mechanics have been for EZ bosses to this point, and generally it's all pretty much one mechanic used in some repetition, straight tank and spank or some combination using adds as well. While VP can diverge from this a bit, I've never wanted to develop Tier content where you could pick it out as "oh, Draca must have made this", instead of following the general (and successful) EZ formula, of keeping it simple, while keep it rewarding. There's still room for some new stuff, but it's a good reminder that I need to stay in between the lines. Reworking some of the ideas around Tier 11, just to make sure it's a good fit.

Sarthin
Administrator
Legend

Common sense is not so common

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2022, 06:43:13 pm »

Some servers have more intricate and advanced NPC encounters, but those servers also tends to allow more advanced controls, like the E3 script and automated macros, to make them soloable.

EZ has always been a boxing server where you would meet encounters that you could more or less defeat while never having to leave your main tank window, with some small exceptions, and also while not needing any advanced macros or scripts to pull it off. Making stuff too complicated will most likely also tempt some people to use illegal means to counter the challenges. We've seen this too many times in the past. Most importantly though, it would defeat the vision of what EZ is all about.

The things I find important with content on EZ on the top of my head are in no particular order, and not limited to:

• Easy to navigate for boxing
  • Good choice of zone with great scenery (for a 20 year old game hehe) and interesting and cool looking bosses
  • ...and while speaking about bosses. The small shakes (not server wide ones) and those screen wide messages giving us either taunting messages or information about something that spawned or whatever, which was introduced in T10 and also carried on in HoS (HW) is something I really like. It adds some excitement and just makes it all more interesting and enjoyable even though it seems like a small thing really. It's also easier to catch than tons of text in /shout
  • I'm not saying all bosses should have a chain spawn element, far from it, but it does add some excitement and should at least be used for some encounters, I think.
  • Repetitive, but interesting and fun tasks and quests that you would want to do again
  • ..some tasks could even carry you to another zone entirely for some variety.
  • NPC's should be harder than previous tier and progressively harder the futher you get into the zone

• Gear should also get progressively better, meaning the longer you stay in the zone, the better gear and stats you get, so you then can tackle new challenges. I think limiting it using hit points is a good formula to go. This is especially true now that we have the int64 added to the server. In no MMO I've played were I able to enter a zone new to me and go kill the "end boss". We need to gear up in the zone to be able to tackle the toughest shit. Besides, mitigation seems like a dead end now, we're already so close to max. A boss that hits you for 17 millions per round would kill any one of us, but if it meant farming the first part of a tier to gain a new armor with a few million hit points added in total, that boss would suddenly become killable.
  • Rare and unique items with a small drop chance that would leave your jaw open when it finally drops. Shouldn't make you Superman, but should definitely see an increase in damage or survivability.
  • ..and most importantly, tons of items with instacast!!!!!  Wink

So since I totally went off track with this, I decided to get back on topic in the end here.

Some mechanics I think is fine on EZ:

• Direct damage spells
  • DoTs
  • Bosses that debuffs important buffs like our mitigation buffs, while also giving us a chance to regain control and not wipe.
  • Spells cutting vision or fearing us for a short period, but don't overdo it with many encounters
  • Chain spawning

The above mechanics already exist on EZ.

The ones below were just on the top of my head and may be interesting to see:

• Objects/mob that needs to be destroyed or you get severely punished in the fight. Doesn't need to be hard to kill the object/mob, should be doable with any force all down to 6 box, but it should require your attention if you want to complete the fight. This could be an interesting feature in a fight, I think.
  • Phases where a boss would hit harder or do something different for a small period. Screen wide emotes could hint you when it happens.

In the end though, we've been wishing for T11 for a long time. Spending tons of hours making stuff too advanced and varied with lots of scripting is not a good route to go down, I think. You're only one developer and while you can gather feedback from the players, it's still you who have to do the most time consuming stuff implementing it. Make sure it doesn't cost too much, in terms of time consumed to make it. It should't be too advanced, but I prefer something happening instead of a boss just standing there doing melee for a few mins until dead though. That's boring. Heck, even High Orc Warboss Zug's Gravity Flux spell adds some action/spice to the fight whether you like it or not.

That's not to say some bosses and encounters shouldn't be more straightforward though. I think a balance is just fine. Some mobs and bosses can be pretty straightforward, while others may require a bit more of you and will be a bit more "involved".

After having played on EZ for a long time with the newest armors, UWs, triples, ZPs and helpful players, it's easy to forget that EZ used to be much less forgiving and way more challenging in many ways than it is now. I would definitely not like to see a new tier where I only met tank and spank mobs with no added features for the challenge and variety.

PS: Death touch sucks, even though it has existed on EZ since T6 at least if not before.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 07:43:20 pm by Sarthin » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 64969
  • Total Topics: 5050
  • Online Today: 81
  • Online Ever: 8678