Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 18, 2024, 02:50:36 am *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Weapon skins on higher tiers  (Read 14837 times)
Subdued

View Profile
« on: February 25, 2017, 07:53:26 am »

I noticed something recently that I found a bit frustrating:  from tier 4 to about tier 8, the weapon skin upgrades are practically worthless, as far as their contribution to overall DPS assuming you're doing a good job with your strike augs.  I'm cleaning up the last few boxes in T8, and when a weapon drops that's usable by one of my DPS, it doesn't excite me at all because I know it's a negligible upgrade as far as DPS is concerned, and it's more for the HPs and heroics and whatnot. 

Is there any reason it was designed this way?   I don't think weapon skins should be a replacement for strike augs, or give people a reason to slack off on them, but it feels like it's gone too far in the other direction where equipping a full team with the next tier's weapons probably affects your overall damage less than 5%.  Just feels off, to me.
walk2k

Hero Posts: 99999

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 01:26:31 pm »

you're supposed to grind UC's for all 28 of your toons

Ekiir

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 08:45:57 am »

I noticed something recently that I found a bit frustrating:  from tier 4 to about tier 8, the weapon skin upgrades are practically worthless, as far as their contribution to overall DPS assuming you're doing a good job with your strike augs.  I'm cleaning up the last few boxes in T8, and when a weapon drops that's usable by one of my DPS, it doesn't excite me at all because I know it's a negligible upgrade as far as DPS is concerned, and it's more for the HPs and heroics and whatnot. 

Is there any reason it was designed this way?   I don't think weapon skins should be a replacement for strike augs, or give people a reason to slack off on them, but it feels like it's gone too far in the other direction where equipping a full team with the next tier's weapons probably affects your overall damage less than 5%.  Just feels off, to me.

You might want to look towards the ultimate weapon quest line - Its fun, I promise Smiley

http://wiki.ezserver.online/Ultimate_Weapon

Subdued

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 08:53:07 am »

I have UW8, I'm just referring to that missing feeling we all got back in live EQ every time we got a weapon upgrade as a melee class.  I hate that weapon skins don't have that excitement to them except for when you get your T1 weapon skins in Dragons.  That was the only meaningful weapon skin upgrade that I've noticed from any tier, particularly because of how much damage we get from strikes and UW.
spuddson

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 10:43:34 am »

It would be good to see Goblin UWs drop as a rare say 3-4 zones behind the true UWs so goblin 6 would drop in Tier 7 .
walk2k

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 11:15:05 am »

how about adjusting the DPS of the skins so the are ~half of an equiv. level UC (instead of what they are now, like 2%. lol.)

tier9 UW 2HS white dmg = 221,600
tier9 2HS white dmg = 8,600 - ROFL(not a typo, eight thousand vs two-hundred-twenty thousand)

tier9 UW spell dmg = 568,750
tier9 NS = 325,000  Cry
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 01:15:27 pm by walk2k » Logged

Peign
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 11:36:00 am »

how about adjusting the DPS of the skins so the are ~half of an equiv. level UC (instead of what they are now, like 2%. lol.)

tier9 UC 2HS white dmg = 221,600
tier9 2HS white dmg = 8,600 - ROFL(not a typo, eight thousand vs two-hundred-twenty thousand)

tier9 UC spell dmg = 568,750
tier9 NS = 325,000  Cry

Welcome to EZ, you must be new here.   UCs are important.    UCs are not optional.    A UC1 does not allow for you to do T10.

Please stop trying to nerf content based on your inability to do what is necessary to progress.     Many people have now finished T10.    Magelo those toons/guilds to get an idea of what it takes.   Check out Blood Legion,  Victory,  STONE etc to get an idea.    People did not roll into T10 with UC1s and expect to win.    That is just silly.   

To quote Fugitive: "not everyone gets the shinies"       Relating back to old school EQ or WoW or <insert mmorpg raiding game here>,  there are strict requirements for progression and there would be strict requirements for entry into a guild doing certain tier progression.    For example you had to have X amount of resists. 

Just stop the QQ,  suck it up and do your UC2/UC3s on your toons.    It is not that hard.

With your gear,  your app to my guild would be auto denied. 

Brannyn

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 11:41:51 am »

tier9 UC 2HS white dmg = 221,600

tier9 UC spell dmg = 568,750
tier9 NS = 325,000  Cry
Pretty certain he was talking about UW and not UC, he's just an idiot who said UC instead.
Welcome to EZ, you must be new here.   UCs are important.    UCs are not optional.    A UC1 does not allow for you to do T10.

Please stop trying to nerf content based on your inability to do what is necessary to progress.     Many people have now finished T10.    Magelo those toons/guilds to get an idea of what it takes.   Check out Blood Legion,  Victory,  STONE etc to get an idea.    People did not roll into T10 with UC1s and expect to win.    That is just silly.   

To quote Fugitive: "not everyone gets the shinies"       Relating back to old school EQ or WoW or <insert mmorpg raiding game here>,  there are strict requirements for progression and there would be strict requirements for entry into a guild doing certain tier progression.    For example you had to have X amount of resists. 

Just stop the QQ,  suck it up and do your UC2/UC3s on your toons.    It is not that hard.

With your gear,  your app to my guild would be auto denied. 

Peign
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 11:43:48 am »

Ahhh, I see.   Well the spirit of my comment still stands. 
Subdued

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 11:55:49 am »

I know you're talking to Gell, but let me clarify my positon which may or not be consistent with his:  I don't want overall dps to increase here.  I just want weapon skins to feel meaningful as upgrades and have them be a greater part of your overall damage, with a small reduction to strike aug damage to compensate.

Parses could make the argument stronger, and I admit I have none at the moment, but I can still say with certainty that my box dps is increasing 10-15% on average per tier by upgrading strikes while new weapon skins are negligible.   The gap between the skins and strikes also increases drastically. T4 skin base wep damage is 6% of gmajor ninja strike while T7 skin base damage is 1% of LP ninja strike.

I would love if non-UW weapons were like 30-40% of the box's overall damage instead of the paltry amount it feels like it is right now.  Getting weapon upgrades should be at least somewhat exciting. It always has been in every RPG I've ever played.  Didn't it feel great getting your broad sword in Dragon Warrior?

Peign
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 12:52:04 pm »

I know you're talking to Gell, but let me clarify my positon which may or not be consistent with his:  I don't want overall dps to increase here.  I just want weapon skins to feel meaningful as upgrades and have them be a greater part of your overall damage, with a small reduction to strike aug damage to compensate.

Parses could make the argument stronger, and I admit I have none at the moment, but I can still say with certainty that my box dps is increasing 10-15% on average per tier by upgrading strikes while new weapon skins are negligible.   The gap between the skins and strikes also increases drastically. T4 skin base wep damage is 6% of gmajor ninja strike while T7 skin base damage is 1% of LP ninja strike.

I would love if non-UW weapons were like 30-40% of the box's overall damage instead of the paltry amount it feels like it is right now.  Getting weapon upgrades should be at least somewhat exciting. It always has been in every RPG I've ever played.  Didn't it feel great getting your broad sword in Dragon Warrior?

It felt great when I got my first UW.   Felt great each one thereafter.   
Subdued

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2017, 12:55:03 pm »

Agreed.

However, in the other thread, there was discussion about level req'ing UWs or something similar in order to encourage players to tier advance and not farm UWs while they're still in low tiers.  It seemed to be a well-supported argument by other posters in the thread.

Should someone follow that path, forced by development or not, that means they would go an awfully long time without being excited about a weapon upgrade for their warrior or any other box. 

It's not as easy to be excited about finally getting your hands on 2 SLS to combine your next tier strike aug.  A rare weapon drop would be much more fun.

walk2k

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2017, 01:16:31 pm »

meant UW yes. of course...

not interested in joining your guild, thanks anyway. lol
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 03:54:28 pm by walk2k » Logged

Loyal

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2017, 06:28:10 pm »

Agreed.

However, in the other thread, there was discussion about level req'ing UWs or something similar in order to encourage players to tier advance and not farm UWs while they're still in low tiers.  It seemed to be a well-supported argument by other posters in the thread.

Should someone follow that path, forced by development or not, that means they would go an awfully long time without being excited about a weapon upgrade for their warrior or any other box. 

It's not as easy to be excited about finally getting your hands on 2 SLS to combine your next tier strike aug.  A rare weapon drop would be much more fun.

You need to stop personifying your boxes...they are an army of stick figures and nothing more. Dont allow them to make you think it should matter if  it is white damage or the aug....its all damage from a stick figure.

I get what you are saying but really dont think this should even come close to being in the top 10 things worthy of Akka/Rent's time. This kind of change would take a significant time commitment testing and tweaking to implement without completely fucking over the balance of the classes (which isnt exactly perfect to begin with). You think a bard is useless now? Try upping their white damage and taking away their proc damage. All that work to essentially net to zero change (if i understood your position correctly).

Personally i prefer to be happy my toons have a new weapon graphic and not pay attention to the fact that its the aug upgrade that will give me my true boost in damage and let Akka spend his time on something more meaningful.

Peign
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2017, 07:15:54 pm »

Agreed.

You need to stop personifying your boxes...they are an army of stick figures and nothing more. Dont allow them to make you think it should matter if  it is white damage or the aug....its all damage from a stick figure.

I get what you are saying but really dont think this should even come close to being in the top 10 things worthy of Akka/Rent's time. This kind of change would take a significant time commitment testing and tweaking to implement without completely fucking over the balance of the classes (which isnt exactly perfect to begin with). You think a bard is useless now? Try upping their white damage and taking away their proc damage. All that work to essentially net to zero change (if i understood your position correctly).

Personally i prefer to be happy my toons have a new weapon graphic and not pay attention to the fact that its the aug upgrade that will give me my true boost in damage and let Akka spend his time on something more meaningful.

Getting UCs, Mana Necks, UWs, UA, T10 Citrines was exciting.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 6126
  • Latest: Maww
Stats
  • Total Posts: 64992
  • Total Topics: 5054
  • Online Today: 45