Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 03:35:06 am *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: New player first impressions  (Read 25498 times)
WatchYouDie

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2015, 11:55:44 pm »

MUST run RoF2, EQBC and MQ2 all in admin mode for it to mesh properly using the RoF2 version.

Or run in a public folder.
garfield101

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2015, 09:31:21 am »

Strike augs are free in the fighters guild once you have access, Albeit they will be level 1. That will up your dps quite alot for your group. And I would go the route of farming a few Superior Light Stones as stated. Pay someone for a qvic run for your warrior then u can have access to cazic and postorms. VERY NICE weapon upgrade there free of charge once u have that zone access about 1k damage per weapon on 1 handers,  also the weapons aren't Lore. If you haven't gotten access by the time I get off work I will gladly help you out with it free of cbarge aND i have doNE the sam for many every since. I was handed the same courtesy by someone when I started made the game so much easier.  My chr name is Extinct and Limpie. I normally play those toons.
Woodee

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2015, 05:35:11 pm »

I am always back farming Qvic/Ct essences. If you see me on hit me up for a run through either.
Moruk

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2015, 09:33:12 pm »

Strike augs are free in the fighters guild once you have access, Albeit they will be level 1.

I thought that was the crafters guild?  I've had access to the fighters guild for a while now and I dont see any strike augs.

Chunka
Legend

Been gone so long I'm a newbie again!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2015, 09:55:46 pm »

So get crafters guild access on a few chars. Its not as if it takes much time at all, or costs much cash. You can do the entire quest without farming a damned thing....dont have to swing a weapon once to get any of the items, and can do the flag inside 90 minutes without much effort.

Honestly, I am baffled as to why more players DONT flag their melee just for the starter augs...or flag at least one casters guild flagged char to make mana necks.

Here's some numbers for ya:

Ninjastrike I adds a 4K proc to any weapon its slotted into, and works at level 70. Any NS class can slot 2 of them at least (one in each hand).
Firestrike I adds 2K to knights and zerkers
Icestrike adds 1K for all other melee and priests

Mana neck is a lot pricier to make to start with, because there is no free rank....but later its less expensive. Casters wearing a mana neck, when they nuke, get added spell damage, for one, that stacks with UC/sorc, AND gives pets a short term buff that gives pets a proc with the same damage as a firestrike aug of the same level as the mana neck. So.....make a mana neck 1 for your mage and he immediately adds 2K proc to each hand on their pet...in addition to any other procs the pet may get.

Use the guides and wiki, crafters guild your characters. Its worth it.

"When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything — you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." R.A. Heinlein
Chunka
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2015, 09:57:24 pm »

Oh, and just an FYI: farming ONE SLS (which takes very little time) will pay for materials to flag 3+ characters, easily.

"When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything — you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." R.A. Heinlein
Moruk

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2015, 11:05:25 pm »

So get crafters guild access on a few chars. Its not as if it takes much time at all, or costs much cash. You can do the entire quest without farming a damned thing....dont have to swing a weapon once to get any of the items, and can do the flag inside 90 minutes without much effort.

I appreciate the information, really I do.  But there is only so many hours in the day, I just havent gotten to the crafters guild get.  1.5 x6, 2.0 x6, fighters / caster guild x6, 2.5 x6, 3.0 x6,  15 qvic tokens x6, you get the point.  I'm not being lazy I asked a legitimate question Smiley

Mixlor

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2015, 01:46:53 am »

Yeah... Fighters guild will give you the Anger Augs I to use for warriors... you have to get the Fire, Ice and Ninja from the Crafters guild. Utilize the forum Wiki's and that will help you speed thru the Crafters guild flag. Just need to get 1 toon flagged to get strike augs for your toons.. as long as you uprade them to rank II they are tradeable from what I remember.

And set goals on what you want to do when you log in. This game has ALOT to do as far as upgrading armor, epics, strike augs, charms etc.. all of which can be overwhelming but just plan out what you want to do for that play session and go at it. Above all.. just have fun!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 02:05:39 am by Mixlor » Logged
Gannicus

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2015, 01:54:37 am »

Have to agree, just setting a goal and breaking it down piece by piece is the best way overall to do it. Especially if you have limited play time availability.
Chunka
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2015, 12:43:58 pm »

What they said! If you have a set goal when you log in you can time manage a lot better. I'm in the same boat you are.....work and family eat up a ton of my time lately (lots of 14 hour work days). Often I'm only on for an hour, maybe 2. Best part about EZ is that you can still get a lot accomplished even with short play time.

Moruk

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2015, 01:08:15 pm »

An update:

I read through original post and it comes off as really negative.  That wasn’t my intent so I thought I’d post a follow up now that I have a better understanding of the server.  I’m having a blast, and I think I’m pretty on track with my progression.

-        The buff bot is fantastic.  These buffs are typically all I have on, my group of 6 has a cleric and a paladin and so far I don’t even bother using their buffs.  This will obviously change as I progress.  Almost every night I’m on someone advertises uber buffs at the nexus which is insanely helpful, but I mostly miss those though due to being inattentive to ooc Wink

-        All my mq2 problems are solved (hopefully).  I don’t really use many mq2 features, I really just use the map, and auto login.  I wish there was a way to find out the server number without actually trying to log in.  It’s not something that is published by eqemulator from what I can see.  I thought I’d get lucky by web scraping and finding server id’s hidden in the html but no luck.

-        I’ve done up to epic 3.0 on 5 of my 6 (haven’t done cleric yet).  What a HUGE dps increase from 2.5 to 3.0.  The berserker in particular, if I have a big pull stuff just falls over dead.  I’m really having to restrain myself from shelving the rogue and making another berserker.

-        Fighters/Casters guild:  the first quest I did took forever.  I was not very well geared (only up to epic 1.5 and bits of qvic armor) and didn’t have any cash to create my own instances.  The better geared my characters became, the more I was able to send them all out at once to camp things simultaneously.  I sold 2 SLS’s to afford the zone repops and that made all the difference.  I’d almost like to see a disclaimer on the wiki that tells the noobs like me to not to start these quests until they farm the plat for instance creations.  For the most part, these camps are really dull and boring.  There are two exceptions though:  Reavers and hunter/forager.  Those are actually interactive and fun, I wish it were possible to make the other camps more like these two.

I greatly appreciate that npc in the guild that maxes out your skills.  Previously I’d left my noobs online attacking the practice dummy trying to get offense / defense skills.

-        Crafters guild:  I finished this quest yesterday on my warrior.  I didn’t even try to start this quest until I finished out all the tradeskill aa’s.  I didn’t keep track of the plat I spent, but as far as time goes, it took me about 4 hours I’d guess.   If I were to do it again on another character it would be significantly faster since I didn’t really know what I was doing the first time and had to really follow the wiki and google a bunch of stuff.  Now that I’m inside I haven’t done anything yet, I’d like to make a couple ninja augs but I haven’t gotten to that yet.  I did end up leveling an enchanter to 49 though so I could enchant my own stuff.  I kept failing combines and it was difficult to find online enchanters at times.

-        After I do the 3.0 for the cleric, it’s back to qvic.  I screwed up and deleted some armor on my warrior because I was given waaay better armor by a kind player (WatchYouDie).  I hadn’t looked into beyond qvic at that time so I didn’t know it was necessary to have that armor in order to make CT armor.  Now that I’m nearly all epic 3.0’d and have pretty much maxed out aa’s for level 71, finishing off these missing pieces will be a breeze.  When I get to a point to where the progression armor is finally as good as or better than the armor WatchYouDie gave me, I plan on either returning it or paying it forward to another new player.

-        I need to put Kiwis on my ignore list (sarcasm).  I have truly lost track of how many qvic and ct runs he’s done with me gobbling up the loot and aa’s.  I think I’ve only actually cleared qvic fully twice by myself, and I’ve never cleared CT yet I have almost every armor piece from there already.  I don’t even know where to begin to pay him back.

-        I’m really making a lot of use of the xls that was linked in the guide.  I have to hide a bunch of tabs to make it manageable for my current progression, but overall it’s a serious time saver.

-        I still maintain that the spider for the 1.5 epic is out of whack for truly new players.  At that point you really don’t have but maybe 10 aa’s and the free 1.0’s, and there is nothing but primitive agro control using class skills like cyclone blade.  Not like it matters anyway, the big spider and all those adds chew through a noob tank in a matter of seconds.  I believe my warrior had around 9k hit points at that level.  I know Chunka disagrees but that was my experience.

Kovou

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2015, 01:35:35 pm »

Grats and very thought out post... and i'll say you'll disagree with Chunka on a lot of points... but you have to think of the spider for 1.5 as the Progression checkpoint to make sure you are ready to move to the next level..you will find this wall again when you hit T5 (some will say T2 Kronos but i didnt hit it until T5). Also i have something for you Moruk i forgot to give it to you last night.... as for the rogue...bench him and make another zerker if you feel you want to....or make a 2nd group and put him in there. remember all points lead to bigger damage! lol

Irsmart/Whispering
Guild Leader of Ancient Elite
balidet
Master

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2015, 02:16:23 pm »

I would be careful with the min maxing on this server.. its so tempting but really in end game a rouge is fantastic!

the zerk is pretty much always fantastic so he does make more sense...less $$ to max out the firestrike over the ninja's but it s all about what you want to do.

The spider is Way OP .. I died with my original crew at least 20 times before someone helped me kill this thing.. it was not even close.. Yes my group makeup was probably horrid.. but its way early in game for new players to figure out what works and what don't.

Honestly if the adds would just spawn like 1 or 2 at a time so that you could have a shot at aggro control that would be way better.. kind of a krono type thing where you can spend all day killing adds but you gain nothing until you kill the real deal.... /shrug

I assume the armor you where given is blue diamond armor and that is way way better than what you could possibly get yourself.

long story short is keep plugging away and have....but try not to worry about min/max... just about the time you figure it out they will "adjust" a class and you will have to change it anyway lol:)

Phah

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2015, 04:38:28 pm »

I will concur, as I have done for the past year, that the spider is way to hard. fortunately, lots of people are more than willing to kill it for us nublets or uber-buff us so that it isn't a problem.

I'd recommend actually running CT once or twice by yourself, with only buff bot buffs on. That was probably one of my favorite early zones (at least the first few times I ran it - after 20 it does get old Wink ).

check out this post for how to set up a script that will find the proper server number and put it in the autologin script. You'll still need to log in one character manually, then the autologin can do the rest.

Mine is the drill that will pierce the heavens! Or at least the next tier.

Filthy casual? Yep, that's me!
Moruk

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2015, 05:22:54 pm »

check out this post for how to set up a script that will find the proper server number and put it in the autologin script. You'll still need to log in one character manually, then the autologin can do the rest.

I was looking for a way to completely automate this step, I keep both eqlsPlayerData.ini and MQ2AutoLogin.ini open in Notepad++ for easy editing, but I dont want to edit them daily because I'm lazy.  I'm a software developer so I was hoping to be able to look at the eqemulators web site and somehow pick out the server ID from the html.  If I were successful in finding that number it would be trivial for me to write a quick app that polls that site every minute/hour/day whatever and update my 2 files for me.  But I cant find that server id, I dont think it's advertised.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 6125
  • Latest: farrvva
Stats
  • Total Posts: 64988
  • Total Topics: 5053
  • Online Today: 201