Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 12:20:46 pm *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Server Instability Issues  (Read 6128 times)
Warbash

View Profile
« on: October 30, 2015, 10:59:23 am »

We were talking in OOC last night and figured that most of the posts about the server issues came off like bitching or there were the few that said they just logged in one toon and was ok. So I figured Akka or Hate may not know how bad off the server really is.

Things I have noticed:

1. When the server population reaches around 300, a lag bomb hits hard getting high latency spikes, upwards of 20k. You know its coming when you see the toons around you start to blink in and out. Just prepare for the impending lag. This lag subsides after around 2 minutes but the server still reacts slower in general.

Some things that occur during this lag bomb. All zoning stops dead in its tracks, the client locks up for up to 5 minutes still trying to zone. If you had a massive pull you may get disconnected and booted to char select if lucky.  I think this ties into when the lag subsides, I feel like the lag occurs when more than a few toons get logged on at the same time and locks the server up trying to load them. I think it goes away when the toons finally get in or stop trying. This may be why there are lag waves as groups of boxers start to load their bot army in.

2. Random bot characters experience higher latency than others in same zone. you can zone in 12 characters and a random character will zone in with 5k latency. Its usually fixed by zoning that character out and back in. This is separate from the lag bomb where you get stuck zoning and can occur at any time and to any toon randomly.

3. Some instanced zones have only high latency. I made 3 ToFS instances and my guild was good, my other toons guild was bad as in 2500+ every time I zoned in there.

Now looking at the 1st 2 above items together, it seems like there is some issue with where characters are loaded when you zone or log in. If you are on the fringes of what ever problem is affecting the server you get bit by the lag monster.

So this week has been rough to say the least, to combat the lag you need to have no more than 6 toons in the zone or logged in. Those that have a UW of higher levels seems to be faring better as we can solo content but have to dramatically lessen pull size. For example, T5 has dbl loot activated but I cant pull at the same pace in there effectively increasing my pull time to dbl if not more. This cancels out the benefits of the dbl loot for me but could still be ok for someone farming the zone for advancement I suppose.

Those that don't have UW are forced to rely on all their toons and killing is much slower. If you zone a lot or zone hop to farm, that's been killed by the zoning problems and disconnects so where ever you are hunting, you need to find a zone that you can stay in that has low latency and stick with it.

P.S. DBL loot is not on in every zone, would be nice to get that fixed and turned on in Halloween zone please Smiley

Hope this helps

Warbash and crew <Ancient Elites>
littlelongbeard

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 11:06:07 am »

Maybe a butt hurt botter got upset hate caught them and was banned. Now they are just running a shit load of DoS attacks against the server to cause massive latency issues

Tankbeard .... and many other bearded toons
Kruciel

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 11:09:15 am »

Except it isn't latency related
balidet
Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 11:10:23 am »

would we not be aware of a denial attack?

Openwounds

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 11:15:08 am »

I've found that I can keep a character completely away from the action (not in range for any melee/spell damage on chat) and on another comp.  He can keep my warriors hp bar up and I can keep glancing over and base when i heal or use RoA around how my hp is doing on that screen.  Abilities and spells still work when they should but you don't see them happen on your main toons screen till that client catches up.

..Kroggia..
balidet
Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 11:23:27 am »

I miss the hp counter in the middle of the screen:)

you know the time off has not been all bad... dont stress to much and enjoy your holiday this server is what it is for now..

thank you for all the effort it takes to keep it going

a few weeks of down time is not going to do any permanent damage:)

Kruciel

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 11:30:47 am »

Things I noticed over the past month:

Even having a lagged out instance open under your name will cause you to lag. Even if it's a guild instance owned by another guildy. I was very serious when I said "delete instances you are not using" to reduce lag in the previous thread. It's almost like the instances are trying to send you some kind of periodic update, but since they're running on a lagged out part of the server, those updates then lag out your entire guild. I was able to log off and back on the first few days until I finally got in with low ping, and was able to farm the Halloween zone fine all day long. Yesterday, a guildy had 3 instances running and logged off. I couldn't get anything going all day no matter what. As soon as he logged on, I asked him to delete one. Instantly sped up my Housegarden zone, after hours of nothing under 100 ms.

Someone reported logging on a character from a second PC and having 0 AA's again. Very odd. Not sure if this is the change responsible for that but: https://github.com/EQEmu/Server/commit/1589169200d3c27cc2e76e5bb21ecaf672dc47fe

Brannyn

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 11:41:38 am »

And thank you yet again for reminding me to delete my instances
Fuzzypoodle

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 11:56:36 am »

Hmm.. interesting.  I am the only one in my guild playing and I had no instances and only doing the expedition and still never saw under 100ms.  If I did as soon as I got 20+ .... BOOOOMMMM!!!!  Even with one grp.  Just what I have seen myself.
Drep

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2015, 02:49:35 pm »

Yesterday, a guildy had 3 instances running and logged off. I couldn't get anything going all day no matter what. As soon as he logged on, I asked him to delete one. Instantly sped up my Housegarden zone, after hours of nothing under 100 ms.

On this topic, I had deleted the instances I had open.   A bit later I had logged in people that were either logged out while still inside that now deleted instance or crashed in there and i never logged them back in.   Now that they are logged in, they are actually still inside those supposedly deleted instances.    These folks used to get auto booted to nexus but this did not happen.

*edit - I also tested and those deleted instances seem to be live.  The guy i logged into deleted TOFS instance was able to run out and get agro and kill it.    The guy I logged into Deleted Nexus was able to use the buff bot and do whatever
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 02:53:01 pm by Drep » Logged

Drep (War),  Wudd (Cleric), Mdydar (Monk)
Warbash

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2015, 03:58:25 pm »

Yesterday, a guildy had 3 instances running and logged off. I couldn't get anything going all day no matter what. As soon as he logged on, I asked him to delete one. Instantly sped up my Housegarden zone, after hours of nothing under 100 ms.

On this topic, I had deleted the instances I had open.   A bit later I had logged in people that were either logged out while still inside that now deleted instance or crashed in there and i never logged them back in.   Now that they are logged in, they are actually still inside those supposedly deleted instances.    These folks used to get auto booted to nexus but this did not happen.

*edit - I also tested and those deleted instances seem to be live.  The guy i logged into deleted TOFS instance was able to run out and get agro and kill it.    The guy I logged into Deleted Nexus was able to use the buff bot and do whatever

That's interesting. I had an instance with no one logged out in it and I could not access after deletion. I did then test what you said and logged a toon to char select. deleted that instance then logged toon back it. worked.

Warbash and crew <Ancient Elites>
balidet
Master

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2015, 04:22:30 pm »

It looks to be...to me at least... totally random.. so some will see patterns in it that seem to make sense and other wont..

I don't think we can say ! do this ! to fix it... its all that damn RNG again...

Drep

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2015, 07:06:14 pm »

well whatever has been going on seems to be fixed for me.  For whatever reason, I logged back in later and all my guys were sitting in nexus.  I have now both my groups in the Halloween zone with no issues.

Drep (War),  Wudd (Cleric), Mdydar (Monk)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 6124
  • Latest: Havicck
Stats
  • Total Posts: 64988
  • Total Topics: 5053
  • Online Today: 211