Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 03:08:31 am *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Quality of Life Suggestions  (Read 21674 times)
Vorthis

View Profile
« on: April 28, 2016, 12:22:51 pm »

hey there folks,

Ive got a couple of ideas that might improve quality of life for new players trying to grab a toe hold on EZserver.

First off, is there a legitimate reason that spell research for only starts at t5 with inks dropping there and not in previous tiers? for the most part classes don't rely on spells as much as say necro's do, considering they have a specific quests that makes it mandatory to have all four of their dots before they can complete the death spell quest? I suggest inks starting to drop at lower tiers just to help out with this. in the long run I don't think this will effect any trivializing of the content as it just helps fill your spell roster.

Second off, it would be nice to see some sort of exchange merchant like in t1 for the lower to medium tiers probably only up through t4 as I have not reached higher than that. It becomes exceedingly frustrating to see drops that cant be used because you don't have x class and needing those 1-2 items to progress and it never drops.

I understand that no one wants to give out a free ride through progression and I completely agree. I want to earn what I get but having your advancement roadblocked by the RNG gods doesn't in my opinion add meaning in any useful way to the game. Even if it were a system of kill 1k x type of mobs in a quest like fashion or turn in x amount of tokens for a class token that your class can actually use would make significant improvements on the player side of things that feels like the work and grinding you have put in actually pays off.

As a new player, the frustration with drops takes it toil. With all of the other grinding you have to do, with strike augs, charms, shield of the ages, and the plethora of other grinds you can work through not even counting aa's for the ring of ages and mask of exp, having a complete RNG stop you from advancing due to not getting the drop you need is demoralizing to say the least.

Let me be clear, I am not asking for a hand out, or to trivialize the content. I am just asking for an alternate way to continue progressing without having a luck factor determining how far you can get. Personally I box 18 toons. Yes, it's my fault that I chose to do this. This in itself slows me down greatly and Im ok with that.  I just want my time invested to seem like it means something or the very least that i know I will progress without being road blocked by chance.

I am an old school gamer with the old school mentality of you get what you put forth, If you work for it, you should obtain it. I like the challenge, I don't want it easy, just to be on a more level playing field when it comes to what you can and can not do.

Anyways, feel free to blast away at these ideas, I am new and I will bow to the experience of those that have put more time and effort into the server to make it what it is. I am just coming from the point of view of a new player and seeing how things are up till the t4 level of things, If there are legitimate reasons for things being the way they are I would love to hear them. Regardless Ezserver is my home. We have a amazing player base with great people, and that alone makes it worth playing.

Thank you for your time.

-Vorthis

Raygan
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 01:11:45 pm »

This has been brought up before....The early tiers are not that difficult and if that little bit of a grind is turning folks off then they are going to straight nut up or die come to t5 or later tiers. I have been accussed in the past that I am bad about "back in the day we had to walk uphill barefooted in the snow" mentality but this server doesn't come out with new content every 6 months...so just relax and enjoy the ride...I mean grind.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 01:13:46 pm by Orthanos » Logged

Hate's Most Hateful Hater
KnowFear

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 01:24:22 pm »

I agree with some sort of rot bot type thing for t2 and t4. Even if you have to turn in patterns for all other classed in your group. i.e pally would have to turn in clr, war, shd armors to get one for themselves. I agree, it is kind of frustrating to spend 35 hoh tokens to spawn the same boss over and over and over and never see the drop for your class. (I did this the other night trying to get 1 single drop from t4 and never got it in the end)
Vorthis

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 01:34:13 pm »

This has been brought up before....The early tiers are not that difficult and if that little bit of a grind is turning folks off then they are going to straight nut up or die come to t5 or later tiers. I have been accussed in the past that I am bad about "back in the day we had to walk uphill barefooted in the snow" mentality but this server doesn't come out with new content every 6 months...so just relax and enjoy the ride...I mean grind.

Don't get me wrong Orthanos, I don't mind grinding. What I do mind however is spending over 100 tokens in t4 to get a single item and never seeing it just because i didnt happen to get lucky. Like i Said, I dont want to trivialize the content, that is not my intent at all. You are also absolutely correct that the challenge of the lower tiers isnt difficult however relying solely on RNG mechanics doesnt bring challenge to the game it just adds frustration. Lets be honest, from t1-t4 has 0 challenge other than getting lucky with what drops you need. There isnt a significant difficulty or skill needed to acquire any of these things just need a good lucky streak and voila you are done. I want to get into the meat of the game I don't mind spending a week or two grinding out what I need as long as in the end I know i will get it. The problem comes up, when with my limited experience, I have spent two weeks grinding t4 tokens just to see the same patterns drop over and over and over again. The lack of advancement is where the frustration comes in. Again, I don't want anything just handed to me. However if you put in the time and effort, you shouldn't have to rely on luck.
Darpey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 01:44:51 pm »

At a point, everquest is all about luck. P99 is about luck and so is EZServer.

P99 has SUCH luck required, and crazy camps for some of the bottleneck items required for the unlucky classes' epic quests.

Just wait until you break into ToFS and try essence farming there (especially the masters)... You'll wish you could go back to the days of T4.

T5 is also very "luck" based in the way you describe.

In every instance (except ToFS), there are ways you can HONE in on your luck. Only fight the mobs that drop the TOKEN you need in HoH, then you can spawn THAT boss over and over and over.

There are 16 classes, so here are the odds to get a specific class on subsequent tokens... (for example if you're looking for BEASTLORD arms - the odds of having the boss drop that specific arm (T4) given the number of boss spawns)

Based on the bosses dropping TWO class specific armor pieces per loot (the way T4 is set up currently)

1 - 12%
2 - 23%
3 - 32%
4 - 40%
5 - 48%
6 - 54%
7 - 59%
8 - 64%
9 - 69%
10 - 72%
11 - 76%
12 - 79%
13 - 81%
14 - 83%
15 - 86%
16 - 87%
17 - 89%
18 - 90%
19 - 91%
20 - 92%
21 - 93%
22 - 94%
23 - 95%
24 - 95%
25 - 96%

Every 5 tokens, you get a 50% chance at the piece you want... every 25 tokens you have a 96% chance at the piece you want.

And with 50 tokens, there's a 99.94% chance (or 16 in 10,000) that you will get the piece you want.

BUT - that means that 1 in every 25th time, you're gonna have a string of BAD luck when it takes MORE than 25 tokens to get your piece. And one in every 625 attempts, it's gonna take you more than 50 tokens

BASED ON DROPPING ONLY 1 PER BOSS

1 - 6%
2 - 12%
3 - 18%
4 - 23%
5 - 28%
6 - 32%
7 - 36%
8 - 40%
9 - 44%
10 - 48%
11 - 51%
12 - 54%
13 - 57%
14 - 59%
15 - 62%
16 - 64%
17 - 67%
18 - 69%
19 - 71%
20 - 72%
21 - 74%
22 - 76%
23 - 77%
24 - 79%
25 - 80%
26 - 81%
27 - 82%
28 - 83%
29 - 85%
30 - 86%
31 - 86%
32 - 87%
33 - 88%
34 - 89%
35 - 90%
36 - 90%
37 - 91%
38 - 91%
39 - 92%
40 - 92%
41 - 93%
42 - 93%
43 - 94%
44 - 94%
45 - 95%
46 - 95%
47 - 95%
48 - 95%
49 - 96%
50 - 96%

Every 10 tokens, you get a 50% chance at the piece you want... every 50 tokens you have a 96% chance at the piece you want.

BUT - that means that 1 in every 25th time, you're gonna have a string of BAD luck when it takes MORE than 50 tokens to get your piece.

... (I could keep going if you want)

The point is the 50/50 point is at 5 or 6 tokens

Every 5 tokens you turn in, you have a ~50% chance at a specific class drop.

If you turn in 25 tokens, there is a 96% chance that you will get you BEASTLORD arms... or whatever class you were looking for
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 02:24:34 pm by Darpey » Logged

Darpey - Warrior <Focus Hope>
http://www.ezserverwiki.com/
balidet
Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 01:51:08 pm »

, I dont want to trivialize the content, that is not my intent at all. You are also absolutely correct that the challenge of the lower tiers isnt difficult however relying solely on RNG mechanics doesnt bring challenge to the game it just adds frustration. Lets be honest, from t1-t4 has 0 challenge other than getting lucky with what drops you need. There isnt a significant difficulty or skill needed to acquire any of these things just need a good lucky streak and voila you are done.

What I dont think you see is that this statement is what is wrong with the server.... no challenge... you are 100% correct that tier1-4 offer no challenge and its just kind of a time sync to get past it.....hell this is what 1-70 used to be....

We as a server in my opinion want to curb this...and sooner would be better than later.

what is going to happen when people get on the easy train 1-70 then t1-t4 and then run smack dab into the first hurdle of t5?  we are going to see posts about how unfair it is...they have to increase/fix/reduce the time spent in t5 because its so MUCH harder than t4 or t3... see...you need some bad rng....its ....to toughen you up for the fun that comes later...

so in my opinion no t1-4 should not be made faster....

not because I had to do it the hard way but because I got to do it the hard way and it prepared me for the later part of the game..

the point of this server is not to "beat" it... its to have fun playing the content...

thoughts?

Darpey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 02:03:19 pm »

A lot of the fun of EZServer is the bad rng runs... you won't think so at the time, but part of what hooks you.

If, for example, they had the T4 bosses drop from a rotation of ALWAYS Warrior, then Paladin, then Cleric, then Bard (cycling through all the classes), it would lose that addictive BURST that you get seeing the drop you wanted.

That's what makes herion EverQuest so fun... and maddening...
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 02:20:12 pm by Darpey » Logged

balidet
Master

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 02:30:46 pm »

Darpey I love all the math and logic but I have had several runs of 100+ tokens with no drops so ..yea...bad rng...or whatever but the math just breaks sometimes.Smiley  I have also zoned into tofs and had a master essence in 5 mins...so...it cuts both ways:)

Darpey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 02:36:02 pm »

When you say 100+ tokens, do you mean you had 100 of a SPECIFIC token (e.g. split paw) and spawned 100+ bosses, all looking for a single class on a single token type?

There's a difference between that and having 100 tokens of EVERY type and winding up with one that you go through with one class missing, because you're talking about 7 different token types (making it 7x more likely than my example) AND you're not talking about a specific class you're talking about every class (making it 16x more likely). In this scenario, you would be 112x more likely (7*16) than my listed numbers for a "bad RNG" run

What I did was this:

1/16 = 0.0625 (the number of classes)

take the inverse of that = 0.9375 (the chance of getting a single drop to be what you want)

multiply it by itself for each drop

First token = 0.9375
Second token = 0.9375 * 0.9375 = 0.8789
Third token = 0.8789 * 0.9375 = 0.8240
Fourth token = 0.8240 * 0.9375 = 0.7725

Take the invest of THOSE and you get the odds of drop

First token = 0.9375 --> 0.0625 (or 6%)
Second token = 0.8789 --> 0.1211 (or 12%)
etc...

To calculate TWO drops from a single token, just take the percentage on #2 and call it #1, #4 becomes #2, #6 becomes #3, #8 becomes #4...

I think that's right - right?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 02:42:01 pm by Darpey » Logged

Mexi

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 02:41:41 pm »

In every instance (except ToFS), there are ways you can HONE in on your luck. Only fight the mobs that drop the TOKEN you need in HoH, then you can spawn THAT boss over and over and over.

Just want to point out that specific mobs no longer seem to drop specific tokens in HoH. Not sure when this changed or if its a bug, but any monster in there can drop H1N1 now, for example, or Split Paw, etc., which makes farming the token you actually need nearly impossible. Personally I did 4 full clears of HoH last night and saw one single H1N1 drop.
Darpey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2016, 02:43:06 pm »

Just want to point out that specific mobs no longer seem to drop specific tokens in HoH. Not sure when this changed or if its a bug, but any monster in there can drop H1N1 now, for example, or Split Paw, etc., which makes farming the token you actually need nearly impossible. Personally I did 4 full clears of HoH last night and saw one single H1N1 drop.

Ouchies - that sucks - Sad that would indeed make farming much harder.

balidet
Master

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2016, 03:19:05 pm »

yes 100 splitpaw and Needing say cleric whatever and no cleric whatever when i was out of tokens..

Mixlor

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2016, 04:21:12 pm »

From what I am reading... in HoH you should farm the specific tokens you need? To my understanding, in the past certain mobs would drop specific tokens (ie Avatar of Underwurld would drop H1N1 and the avatars to the right of them would drop splitpaw tokens, etc), and I would just go after the specific avatars for the tokens I needed but I thought that was changed to any type token will drop off any Avatar? That makes you do full clears of HoH in order to get any type of token to drop. Been out of the loop from time to time so I don't catch all the changes.

Mix
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 04:23:07 pm by Mixlor » Logged
Mexi

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2016, 04:22:49 pm »

That's right Mix. As it currently stands, any Avatar drops any token, which is why getting the specific ones you need is fairly difficult. Its great for the early part of the grind when you need every single token, but absolute torture near the end of the grind, especially when H1N1 / The Warlord drop less loot than the other T3 / T4 bosses respectively.
Mixlor

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2016, 04:24:28 pm »

That's right Mix. As it currently stands, any Avatar drops any token, which is why getting the specific ones you need is fairly difficult. Its great for the early part of the grind when you need every single token, but absolute torture near the end of the grind, especially when H1N1 / The Warlord drop less loot than the other T3 / T4 bosses respectively.

Get to grinding then.. and make RNG yer biotch! *cracks whip*

Mix
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 6125
  • Latest: farrvva
Stats
  • Total Posts: 64988