Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 08:40:32 pm *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Hypothetical: SLS Revamp?  (Read 18657 times)
hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« on: January 20, 2015, 01:15:47 pm »

Hypothetical: SLS Revamp?

This is a new type of post. I'm curious about revamping the way SLS are obtained to help limit botting and make the gearing up process less hellish. I am kicking around the idea of making SLS boss dropped and berry-purchased only.

In Example:
  • Wisp-type bosses have a chance to drop (Ancient Willowisp in T9 will have elevated chance but will lose it's 100% chance).
  • Superior Lightstones would be for sell at 10-20 berries each.

In return for the vastly slower rates of SLS 'production', about half of the recipes (lowest) would be limited to 1 SLS per combine, a few ranks above the "lowest" section requiring 1 less SLS (min 1), and highest ranks requiring 2 SLS (max per combine period).

AGAIN, THIS IS JUST AN IDEA AND I AM GATHERING FEEDBACK. PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU PANIC! This may never happen depending on feedback!

Crafting Cost Breakdown: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13GIolnBa7mk8DUUqHdy23JGpeNXm3lyblPVMuj1stJI/edit?usp=sharing

-Hate
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 02:33:58 am by hateborne » Logged

I'm so sorry Hunter, I tried...
Chunka
Legend

Been gone so long I'm a newbie again!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 01:31:14 pm »

Plusses and minuses. This setup would make it easier for higher end players to gear up, but depending on how the boss drops are managed for lower tiers it could make starting the strike/SOA grind one hell of a lot worse.

But all in all I think you are on the right track. Stuff needs to change from the current setup.

Now, if I could just convince you that using tier essences for UW is a horribly bad idea.....

"When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything — you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." R.A. Heinlein
clbreastmilk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 01:33:01 pm »

I like that you are looking into this process, but would suggest supplements to your suggested method.  Forcing people to do berries is prob not quite what the server is looking for here, especially at that price, even with the require drop.  If you wanted to go that route, you could, but I would suggest you add a low chance (1-5%) of SLS dropping for various bosses throughout progression.  This would ensure that people who don't want to do Mini's can still progress, and that people who do, are having them as well.

If you eliminate wisp farming, you would likely put a damper on new players as they cannot obtain needed dps augs until they could do a mini.
hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 01:36:18 pm »

Chunka,

I was considering giving out an SLS for things like joining Crafter's Guild or completing T5 (somewhat milestones). The upside would be a single SLS to get them started with some basic DPS. The downside is a slight hand out and the potential for people to trick the lowbies out of them.

I also wanted to add lower dungeons if this type of thing were to go live, since the lowbies will obviously need a way to get SLS.

-Hate

EDIT: If you ladies/gents/trolls have better suggestions or a set of things that you believe to be better for SLS, PLEASE PLEASE post it!

greatshadow

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 01:38:09 pm »

or even add GLS drops like how hoh tokens drop to every zone.  would give more access to sls and actually be productive farming them. exp/rainbows/gsoa etc.
Premador

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 01:52:30 pm »

I'm all for a change. Right now farming SLS is nothing but a timesink. There is no fun in farming them whatsoever. As much as this game should have somewhat of a grind, this way of farming them is silly.
I like the idea of purchasing them with berries or even the charm things(name eludes me at the moment), and having rare random drops and drops off bosses only makes sense.
But I still like the way that they are a commodity now. Sellable to make cash if you need it, so I hope they stay tradable.
Chunka
Legend

Been gone so long I'm a newbie again!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 01:57:29 pm »

They need to be removed as an income source, plain and simple. We're seeing the market on them all wonky because botters are farming mass quantities of them. We've all seen certain people who I wont name who are pumping out literally hundreds of SLS a day in trades for armor drops, essences, finishing tier quests, etc. Did they get them legitimately? Maybe. But obviously based on what Hate found not all of em are.

Maybe just make SLS no trade, and find another way for lower end players to get cash.

"When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything — you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." R.A. Heinlein
Premador

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 02:29:51 pm »

We're seeing the market on them all wonky because botters are farming mass quantities of them.

Yup I agree, but if botting can be tackled, then nothing wrong with keeping them a commodity.
Expletus

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 02:36:16 pm »

1) I honestly think the best way to handle SLS are to completely remove them from the UW/SOA/Strikes. The process of getting these things are expensive enough. If you wanted to keep the SLS you could use them to create another way. You could combine 5 SLS for 1 essence of norath or stone of ages. Then could put the SLS for berries into play.

However the SLS removal would make getting plat early on harder for new players. This would eliminate botting for sls but make them poor.

2) Another alternative is to just put them in the crafters guild at 250k per. Remove the drop from wisp and add more plat bag drop chance.

3) Remove drops, put in task system rewards for mobs killed in each zone, repeatable. Could calculate the drop rate vs mobs killed (prolly explaining this wrong). IE: Could earn 5 SLS killing 25 mobs. Double it for task system, 5 per 50 kills or 15 per 50. Something like that. Couldn't take much to implement this and task system is 99.9% flawless.

Keeze
zymral

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 02:51:16 pm »

I would be all for removing them. They truely serve no purpose. Except to promote this farming issue.
hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 02:52:28 pm »

I would be all for removing them. They truely serve no purpose. Except to promote this farming issue.

They serve to throttle people from spam farming -strike augments.

-Hate

WatchYouDie

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2015, 03:10:28 pm »

Using tier ess for uw is fine... if you are actually leveling you get close enough to uw your mt... You want to rid of sls bot farming? Make sls no drop... however this wouldn't fly over do well... I would suggest making them a WORLD  drop with a slightly higher rate than gsoa
Darinow

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2015, 03:17:07 pm »

They need to be removed as an income source, plain and simple. We're seeing the market on them all wonky because botters are farming mass quantities of them. We've all seen certain people who I wont name who are pumping out literally hundreds of SLS a day in trades for armor drops, essences, finishing tier quests, etc. Did they get them legitimately? Maybe. But obviously based on what Hate found not all of em are.

Maybe just make SLS no trade, and find another way for lower end players to get cash.

If the way they are farmed is changed..i.e. berry,rng boss drop,task related..etc, the botting issue is solved.  But their removal as a currency is just dumb.  Lowbies being able to sell extra to afford the plat sink part of augs is very useful.  Their value will be dependent on how many people actually go out, kill, and farm them vs. how many sit with thumb up ass whining about price of them in ooc.  The more people who farm..the lower their price will be.
Dimur

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2015, 04:00:41 pm »

I still contend that most of the botting would be mitigated if you took the SLS zones Jaggedpine and North Ro and made them level relevant zones.  You'd need to be level 70 to zone in, mobs would be on par with whatever part of progression that you need to do the FG/CG quest since GLS is a required component.  As it stands now, the GLS dropping in retardedly low level zones makes the only requirement being an alt that can kill wisps in an otherwise non-agro zone...this is what makes them easily bottable.  If you actually had to react to multiple mobs engaging you instead of /target wisp and /stick then /attack, it'd be a lot more difficult to automate the process.  I'd wager most people bot farming SLS are doing it on characters that they have little time invested in, since they wouldn't care if they were banned or not and anyone who has invested significant time into theirs wouldn't want to risk losing everything.  Make time invested in characters that can farm SLS and possibly negate the retards who would otherwise do it think twice about getting character wiped.
WatchYouDie

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2015, 04:05:18 pm »

I still contend that most of the botting would be mitigated if you took the SLS zones Jaggedpine and North Ro and made them level relevant zones.  You'd need to be level 70 to zone in, mobs would be on par with whatever part of progression that you need to do the FG/CG quest since GLS is a required component.  As it stands now, the GLS dropping in retardedly low level zones makes the only requirement being an alt that can kill wisps in an otherwise non-agro zone...this is what makes them easily bottable.  If you actually had to react to multiple mobs engaging you instead of /target wisp and /stick then /attack, it'd be a lot more difficult to automate the process.  I'd wager most people bot farming SLS are doing it on characters that they have little time invested in, since they wouldn't care if they were banned or not and anyone who has invested significant time into theirs wouldn't want to risk losing everything.  Make time invested in characters that can farm SLS and possibly negate the retards who would otherwise do it think twice about getting character wiped.

he links the accounts by ip ... not a lot of people run multiple ips let alone to just bot sls

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 64994
  • Total Topics: 5054
  • Online Today: 179
  • Online Ever: 8678
  • (December 19, 2022, 02:32:09 pm)