Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 09:25:36 am *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Clerics need lovin, too!  (Read 17330 times)
Chunka
Legend

Been gone so long I'm a newbie again!

View Profile
« on: January 01, 2015, 04:27:39 pm »

Ok, we've been discussing this in detail on game, and I think its time to bring it here.

Clerics: why do they suck, how can they suck less?

Clerics atm are a 3rd rate healer and probably dead last in terms of DPS of any class. Clerics are decent healers, but they dont excel in any one area; pallies are FAR better group healers, to the point that their group heal surpasses a clerics single heal. Druids are hands down the best single target healer. Shammy are the best support healer and dps pump of the healers.

So....where's that leave clerics?

A clerics epic proc is the same as an old pally epic proc heal/cure. Its ....ok, but not great. Their group heals are good from word of viv, but the recast time is somewhat long, in general terms. Clerics do get a massive single target heal, and its instacast, but its more of an "Oh, shit!" heal than anything (VERY mana heavy). The only thing clerics really have going for them is the epic click after 5.0....which is BEEFY. Sadly, the recast is beefier: 1 minute. This combo makes the cleric a solid healer but they definitely are inferior healers when compared to paladin or druid.

Some ideas to fix? Dont know.....its a hard line to walk. Maybe make their ST heals better. Maybe give them the ability to cast a buff that, for a brief time, reflects all damage back to the mob. Maybe lower the recast on the epic click and make it genuine AE, not just group (would help everyone, and would be a blast to try and manage agro!).

Anyway, just thought I'd open a discussion on this.

"When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything — you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." R.A. Heinlein
zymral

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 04:36:15 pm »

I would say give them a proc that reduces damage that a mob can do by like 25%. make them very desireable when fighting bosses ( like old eq) and keep the one step down pally proc but make it raid wide. This would make it so for aoe fights pallys still rule single target druids still rule and clerics would have a place.
Expletus

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 05:52:50 pm »

AOE healing the raid? Naw.

What about focusing on one of their line of spells and beefing it up. The ol "Mark of" line. Face it, they need something else to bring to the table to be competitive to make you want to log them in. You could change their proc effect to a "Mark of XX" which does the usual heals the targets that hit the mob, along with placing a debuff and a buff to party.

Maybe incorporate the Yalp line into the spell that goes buffs the raid w/it on proc. I dunno. out of ideas.

Keeze
Fugitive
Legend

TROLL KING

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 06:17:33 pm »

Clerics do need some loving they have been left waiting at the bus stop for a long long time. I only keep mine leveled up and geared. Hope this thread can get some good ideas out in the open to work on.

Quoted for the Brotherhood of Warriors
"I want my wizard to cast Fugitives instead of fireballs.
We can't always get what we want. ;-)"
-Hate"
Warbash

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 07:47:30 pm »

Make them do melee AE damage from epic that heals targets target Smiley

Warbash and crew <Ancient Elites>
Ponzi

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 07:53:33 pm »

Clerics have 3 main positives ppl forget:

1. ) Tower of Vie III -- 30 second duration buff that acts as like a 30% stonewall thats stackable with everything else (insane goblin pet, warrior epic stonewall click, SOA click etc).. With a 1 min recast time.. Essentially, for 50% of a time you got  pull in camp, the warrior literally cannot die in later tiers. Juggle glasses and SLD and only a lag disconnect can stop you.

2. ) t9 Neriak Warhammer - Yes, it's cleric usable. So they get double the icestrike XI slots other priests do. Hey, it's twice the dps, nothing to sneeze at.

3. ) Armor of Crab II - This could stand to have an upgrade, but its free hps!

So lets not act like the cleric is useless. It's the best hitter of the priests with warhammer.. It's got a hp booster, its got an insane stonewall spell add..

Another way of looking at it is akin to the pet casters : Cleric is a class that makes the first part of the game (ldon-t5) worlds easier, and as Strike Augs and UC2+ and insane warriors/druids take over t6+ they take more of a backseat. They help you start strong, they just aren't up to snuff at the finish line.. And I think i'm ok with that. Smiley

Ponzi Scheme - Monk
Kanyon - Paladin
Kiwis - Warrior
Avacado - Cleric
Raygan
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 07:59:19 pm »

Only thing I can say is a cleric should out heal ANY class....maybe an upgrade to Word of Viv with a decent amount of recast...maybe an upgrade to hp buff...shame that shammy 9.0 if 200k (plus 200 str/agi/dex/sta) buff and clerics Armor of Crab II is 20k.....of course I am not crying for a nerf...but 200k is kinda high when you compare druid at 16k hp buff, cleric 20k, shammy 200k  Roll Eyes

Hate's Most Hateful Hater
Warbash

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2015, 09:40:44 pm »

Clerics have 3 main positives ppl forget:

1. ) Tower of Vie III -- 30 second duration buff that acts as like a 30% stonewall thats stackable with everything else (insane goblin pet, warrior epic stonewall click, SOA click etc).. With a 1 min recast time..

its -10% melee mitigation

Dimur

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2015, 10:55:20 pm »

Nerfing drake would probably make the cleric a lot more desirable.

Roll Eyes
Chunka
Legend

Been gone so long I'm a newbie again!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2015, 11:11:42 pm »

<nod>

So would taking away pally epic proc. I dont see anyone seriously suggesting either, though.

"When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything — you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." R.A. Heinlein
Dimur

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2015, 12:57:17 am »

The point is, a cleric is perfectly fine at fulfilling their role, just because drake is a set it and forget it heal and paladin heals still remain balanced around pre-tuned T8 and T9 returns doesn't make them incapable of fulfilling their role.  Asking for them to be brought into balance with unbalanced spells is asking for the unbalanced spells to actually be tuned... careful what you ask for.
Rent Due
EZ Server Admin GM
Administrator
Master

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2015, 02:51:30 am »

this thread should die if its going to lead to nerfs of other classes, just sayin

that being said, I have always had a cleric in my line up, don't know why, prolly just for the crab hp buff.

cleric is a very hands on type class, if you play a cleric, and only a cleric, they are solid. they just don't exactly fit our needs because they need so much attention to play properly here.

for instance, the pally doesn't need to be babysat to do his job, its not like youre mashing 4 hotkeys to get a pally to do his job

its funny cause in EQ2 a cleric played the role of what our druid is now, more of a preventive healer instead of a reactive healer.

could make our clerics to be more of a "battle cleric" type class. more of an offensive casting class instead of a reactive healing class. beef up the mark of line of spells, undead damage proc on epic in addition to a few steps lower than pally group heal proc. low timer, fast cast group cure that does what our reward cure click does. Add in crab III at T9.

idk, just some ideas

Warbash

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2015, 10:57:15 am »

this thread should die if its going to lead to nerfs of other classes, just sayin

that being said, I have always had a cleric in my line up, don't know why, prolly just for the crab hp buff.

cleric is a very hands on type class, if you play a cleric, and only a cleric, they are solid. they just don't exactly fit our needs because they need so much attention to play properly here.

for instance, the pally doesn't need to be babysat to do his job, its not like youre mashing 4 hotkeys to get a pally to do his job

its funny cause in EQ2 a cleric played the role of what our druid is now, more of a preventive healer instead of a reactive healer.

could make our clerics to be more of a "battle cleric" type class. more of an offensive casting class instead of a reactive healing class. beef up the mark of line of spells, undead damage proc on epic in addition to a few steps lower than pally group heal proc. low timer, fast cast group cure that does what our reward cure click does. Add in crab III at T9.

idk, just some ideas

agree Smiley just need to find a role for the cleric not try to pigeon hole it into "it should be the best healer"

Expletus

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2015, 11:12:51 am »

If you made the cleric a battle cleric arent you turning it into a pally ? Leave the heal on the epic and give it some additional debuffs. Increase the mitigation buff and make that desirable like aoe in that party.

Keeze
Premador

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2015, 01:05:21 pm »

Idea, clerics have always been a undead killin class.  So maybe this...
Give them a class specific pet "alter boi"
Pet procs a skele curse(resist able to some degree)
Cleric can nuke harder on the skele, thanks to his special friend.

Now they have lots of love
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 6125
  • Latest: farrvva
Stats
  • Total Posts: 64988
  • Total Topics: 5053