Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 12:17:00 pm *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Server population dwindling  (Read 16793 times)
Raygan
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2019, 09:40:02 am »

I don't see how that would fix the problem with population. I find the problem being that you can box as many toons as you may want without the need to interact with others - making the whole server feel as a single player mode.

That's the whole fun in the server IMO

Hate's Most Hateful Hater
Zentail

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2019, 03:03:48 pm »

I don't see how that would fix the problem with population. I find the problem being that you can box as many toons as you may want without the need to interact with others - making the whole server feel as a single player mode.

That's the whole fun in the server IMO

I personally understand that being the point of the server, but I do wish if the server was built around being a "solo player" with multiple boxes, that it would be tuned in a manner that would allow 1-2, maybe 3, -boxing to be enough to adequately clear content. Needing 6+ is excessive, in my opinion. It would be better if the server was built for 6+ needed if a single person couldn't do more than, say, 2-box and had to interact with others.

The downside to needing interaction with others is when population is low, players can never clear content. That's why I usually lean towards solo-type servers. However, like I said, 6+ boxing is just excessive.
Dimur

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2019, 06:26:48 pm »

I personally understand that being the point of the server, but I do wish if the server was built around being a "solo player" with multiple boxes, that it would be tuned in a manner that would allow 1-2, maybe 3, -boxing to be enough to adequately clear content. Needing 6+ is excessive, in my opinion. It would be better if the server was built for 6+ needed if a single person couldn't do more than, say, 2-box and had to interact with others.

The downside to needing interaction with others is when population is low, players can never clear content. That's why I usually lean towards solo-type servers. However, like I said, 6+ boxing is just excessive.

Would it be correct to assume that the reason you are averse to playing 6 or more toons is because you don't use MQ2?  I'm asking honestly because with MQ2 there's really no difference in playing 2, 12, 24 or whatever your system can handle since you'll have one character as your control toon sending the commands you want executed to other toons in the EQBC channel.  Also, it's entirely possible to play through all content with 2 or 3 characters, albeit the time spent killing mobs with limited dps as well as the resources required on at least the tank are considerably higher than 6 or more.

As far as suggesting a complete gear reset so everyone starts from scratch again, I'm not sure how that would help.  If it's a case of being too far behind to bother dusting toons off again to catch up, it is pretty retardedly easy to flag through to T10 if you've already progressed through at least T8, since that's the only zone post T5 that drops class specific armor pieces.  If it's a case of nostalgia, all the lower tiered zones are still there and it should be no problem to make new characters and consume all that content.  But doing a gear reset is only going to bring people back to the same starting point, the grinders are still going to grind it up like they do and the casuals will still chug along at their own pace...there's always going to be disparity between the two because of the amount of time they each choose to devote to playing.  It might pique your interest for a little while, but it's not going to fix whatever it is about EZ that lost your interest in the first place.
warrior5

YAY

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2019, 12:28:37 am »

There’s nothing wrong with EZ, it’s just an old game with an aging population. I say we keep playing EZ and in our free time we make our own modern MMORPG... then profit $$$$$$.

Zentail

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2019, 10:51:17 pm »

Would it be correct to assume that the reason you are averse to playing 6 or more toons is because you don't use MQ2?  I'm asking honestly because with MQ2 there's really no difference in playing 2, 12, 24 or whatever your system can handle since you'll have one character as your control toon sending the commands you want executed to other toons in the EQBC channel.  Also, it's entirely possible to play through all content with 2 or 3 characters, albeit the time spent killing mobs with limited dps as well as the resources required on at least the tank are considerably higher than 6 or more.

I, personally, haven't had a problem with the boxing. I use EQBC also. I'm just looking at the potential problem objectively is all. It can be somewhat annoying having to manage several characters, even through MQ2. I think an ultra-difficult server where someone only has to play a single character can make gearing that character feel extremely rewarding. If you're boxing, that feeling is slightly diminished because you have to get said upgrades twice. 3-boxing diminishes it a little further, and so on. It's not like that awesome feeling of upgrades ever goes away--it will always feel good--it just feels better when you are your character and you're getting stronger. It feels less important when you're no longer your character because you're now multiple characters.

I definitely think EZ is fine the way it is, especially considering how old it is, and I enjoy it anyway, but I do wish I saw more people online. It doesn't help any that EQ, overall, is old and dying off slowly (at least the EQEmu scene, anyway).
Isakk

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2019, 06:58:47 am »

Yeah, I love the EZ content and all that one can do but having to do it for your own army of characters - that requires EQBC/MQ2 to manage - makes it a job and that's not fun. But EZ isn't going to change for the minority, and that's fine. I wish I could do it all solo (as in one character) with trial and error, but I also know that's just a wish Tongue
wolfegunr

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2019, 12:04:32 pm »

The reason EZ has gone downhill (from a high end, long time player perspective) is due to getting away from the winning formula. We need a new zone and then you make the previous zone more accessable. Simply put, the time spent vrs reward is laughable now. And you don't have to make T10 ez mode, honestly just unnerf it so it actually drops sun shards. Fixed.
What we did instead was nerf the drop rates, tease that new content was coming and it never did. The community offered up so many good ideas we figured T11 was a lock.
It also didn't help that the greatest version of the halloween event that ever happened was nerfed along with server wide drops. I understand that the drop rate was stupid common at first but now it's not even an event. What is the fear of people having zone pulls and double loot boxes that put the time and effort to farm them? They genuinely made the game fun again, it was like a reboot and our enjoyment surged but now it's all fallen off. This game now quite simply is an utter waste of time which deeply saddens me because I would have played it forever.
Also, what is the harm of free trade? Toons and items were literally worth thousands, now worthless. You could even charge 10% to do so, netting life sustaining gains for this server. It was never a problem that people bought and sold here, only that you failed to profit from it, thus the shutdown. Make a trading place on our website, all above board and legit and you get a share of the profits, easy peasy. This is the greatest opportunity that EZ missed out on. Of course it's going to go to shit without funding, making new content is work and you should get paid to do so. Also, the RL prices of items on the trader are laughably high, your bread and butter in such businesses are the small transactions in volume, remember people buy these things times 11+ accounts.
Having items and toons actually worth something does something you cannot do any other way, it gives people vested interest in this endevor. Using this model, we would have grown and grown instead of stagnating and dying. Our currency was worth more than some third world countries when this was running full steam back in the day.

TL;DR Let's make EQemu great again! We need T11, unnerf the goddamn sun shard drops, allow us a way to get the zone pulls and open up the halloween zone (unlimited instances, it's stupid to go to every instance to see one guild in all of them) which will at least give us something to do until T11 is done. Also, let's bring back the free market!!! .
I want to play here again so bad, and everyone that's been here does too.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 12:08:55 pm by wolfegunr » Logged

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this board is now dumber for having read it. May God have mercy on your soul.
Danish

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2019, 03:45:48 pm »

I say, nuke it back to zero - see what happens.

I'd be back - atleast for a few hours Cheesy
Isakk

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2019, 09:54:13 am »

Don't think many people would be happy with that idea Tongue And the army-boxers would just get to the same place they are now eventually ;p
neccos

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2019, 07:42:29 pm »

Shame, been a lotta good suggestions to get things hopping again without a whole lotta time/work/effort involved but ignored. Nerf is the answer, if u been here for 4 years or so its obvious.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 04:24:40 am by neccos » Logged
Raygan
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2019, 02:54:02 pm »

I haven't seen anything posted about nerfing anything....but I know it sure has felt like things have been nerfed in T10 as far as GSS and essences....I haven't logged in that much as of late.  Matter of fact i am trying to remember my username/password for EQ live atm to see about giving that a spin again.

Hate's Most Hateful Hater
Ryndon

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2019, 07:50:08 pm »

I haven't been on in a while because of a new job taking up most of my time and energy. I was halfway through getting my ultimate armor. Every now and then I'll have a night when I'm looking for something to do, but yeah, what are the chances of getting one GSS in one hour if you're pulling whole camps? Not worth it. Maybe one day I'll return when I have larger chunks of time to spend hoping for a single drop I'm after.

The way I see it, I'm either gonna burn out before I finish my UA, or I'll burn out shortly after I finish getting it since there will be nothing left to do. Why not unnerf like people were saying? Give people a shot at being able to do something productive in an hour's time, and they'll continue playing.

Soakked

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2019, 09:59:09 pm »

Pre-nerf Halloween would be nice, a 2 week access (starting Oct 15th) with zone pull item drops and higher odds for higher lvs for GSS. Exp 4x for the duration of the event (with higher exp crystal drop) and lower rng for edibles would be super to bring up some logins. Maybe even add SLS here and there. Yes there will be some that pull in some hardcore 3rd work hours during event but who cares? Personally Im not even past tier 5 and I dont care if people above me are doing massive pulls in their own instance. But October for the history of the server has been THE MAIN event, why not make it a once a year special that it deserves? At this point theres so few people really on that it shouldnt really hurt anymore. I havent played in a year and the year before that was spotty here and there with my play. But Ive almost always logged in for Halloween event and tbh the last halloween was very lackluster.

Pippens *Muffin Time*

On and off'er forever stuck in T5
Danish

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2019, 07:38:10 am »

You know, every since I read the original post here, and eventually made my comment. I've been playing with the thought of "restarting" the server. And I see a lot of you currently playing folks, wouldn't be too happy about that. I get that, a lot of hours has been poured into your current project. But for someone like me, who played a lot during the T2 - T8ish era, it would be awesome. I hardly remember what shit I have on my chars =D On the other hand, I doubt I'll ever pick it up again as it is now.

So! Would it at all be possible, to do an EZ - TEST - Progression server, where the Ts are opened at a 4-6 month interval - good googly mookly that would be awesome. I realize, there are a lot of stuff to consider - including instances and whatnot, which has been improved and changed over the years - but that could be some brainstormin' sessions and shit on the devs parts.

It would also, be able to generate enough $$ - with people having to re-buy the legups along the way. It works great for Daybreak atm, so why wouldn't it work great here too?

Am I alone on this? - In that case, I'll drop it  Wink

wolfegunr

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2019, 12:30:36 am »

A progression type server would absolutely breath new life into this. Don't delete the old server, which is low population and will be almost 0 anyways if we do this, just make a new one and start at like tier 3, then every 3 months, release a new tier.

Or just copy paste the server and have everyone start at 0 again, This would be fun as all hell and would give us at least a full year if not two of distraction until some new content could be made for the "classic" server.

There are all kinds of possibilities with this that would get everyone back just like that. There are also many ways to make this a revenue generator since that aspect cannot be ignored if we want any real dev involvement/content creation not to mention just the costs of keeping this damn thing up. Let's take a vote on this idea with the commitment of everyone who votes offering to donate $25 a head if this takes off. We can then do this every 6 months, averaging out to $5 a month to play unlimited toons and support a project that means so much to us. This can be a litmus test to see if such a concept is what people really want, make sure to reach out to everyone you know that might want to be apart of this. We seriously also need to open up transparent trading on this site with fees to keep the stream going.
I remember a time when people donated and traded literally thousands of dollars to buy characters/resources here. Let's bring this shit back, people!!!

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this board is now dumber for having read it. May God have mercy on your soul.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 6124
  • Latest: Havicck
Stats
  • Total Posts: 64988
  • Total Topics: 5053
  • Online Today: 183