Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 12:03:22 pm *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Microsoft surface  (Read 5672 times)
Anuli

View Profile
« on: February 19, 2013, 09:35:26 pm »

Yes, i am planning on getting the Microsoft surface pro as a present for myself from my wife and i for my birthday and using my tax refund Cheesy its about time i upgrade my 3 year old broken laptop.
My question is, is anyone familiar with the surface and does it have the capability to play eq and more or less can it box? I am about to go read the specs in detail but thought I'd like to hear opinions from someone who owns it. It isn't replacing my desktop, just something to carry with me to Miami and for work.
red2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 11:36:02 pm »

gunna have to get a bluetooth kb+ mouse to make it eq friendly. plus getting eq to work with win8 is tricky. and pretty sure the grafix capability is sux. but i think it has a ssd with around 4gb of ram so could do maybe 3-6 guys. i wouldnt recomend it unless you have a NEED to be highly mobile, and need the touch crap, and a need for MS not icrap.
marxist

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 12:14:37 am »

4gb of ram and an ssd could easily 12 box depending on the graphics set up
Xiggie | Stone
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 03:33:40 am »

I wouldn't think 12 toons on 4gb of ram, ssd drive or not. When I first start up on a skinny client, (old models, eq ini edited to strip out all spell and particle effects including fire, no mount models, and my global with only 4 lines) my clients run about 200k to 250k, and swell up to about 500k to 600k after a little bit of playing around. With 8gb I could barely fit 12 toons in before running out of ram. Even then, I am catching all kinds of weird error stuff, clients losing sink, toons dropping on zone regularly and very noticeable clients side lag. I was ok with playing about 8 or 9 toons. Though my rig is not state of the art it is not a piece of junk either. i3 2120, PC10700 ddr3 ram, and Nvidia Geforce GTX 260. I've since doubled my ram and logged in 20 toons with a browser up and it ran just fine. For the hell of it I even opened up Swtor and Diablo 3 and saw no lag running 20 toons around zoning them with no issues. It was definitely my ram limiting me.

I don't think I would bother geting a MS Surface to multibox eq. If you were going to solo and just liking having that touch screen lap board then maybe.

Felony

Trump it

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 06:39:02 am »

I would not touch that with some other dudes... well you get the picture.
SSD is not going to do much for you in terms of playing EQ. It's still a nice thing to have but dont stress that.
4 gig of ram is going to get you 6-9 clients stable depending on what client you use and how much you strip it down.
If you just must have a laptop I'm not sure what the options are but a desktop can be bought or built for cheap and I wouldnt take anything less then 16gig...

If we judged them by the content of their character, they'd be begging us to judge them by the color of their skin
Brokyn

Artificial intelligence beats real stupidity

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 07:00:08 am »

SSD is not going to do much for you in terms of playing EQ.

Wow, just wow...

I put an SSD in my machine and immediately noticed the huge benefits for EQ...  Faster load times being the very first one.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 07:06:09 am by Brokyn » Logged

We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?
Anuli

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 09:28:55 am »

4gb of ram and an ssd could easily 12 box depending on the graphics set up

Idk about 12 but i assumed at least 6, so my main group for when i am out and find myself with a few hours of free time, usually about 2 days a week. The rest of the time after work i have my desktop with dual quad i7,  16Gb Ram,  HD radeon sli 1gb cards idr model #.

Felony.. What? The ssd will make it so much faster than standard magnetic spinning hard drives. The ram will limit me yes, but i don't plan on loading 20+ toons on it lol. Just wondered if anyone has one and ran eq on it. I think it has windows 8 pro but also a windows 7 desktop to switch to, or so it seems from what i read on their website.

I'd never get an iAnything, i highly dislike Macs. Guess we will have to find out in a week just what it's capable of cuz in any case i need a new work laptop so it's still happening. Cheesy also i do have a Bluetooth Mouse so that's ok lol.
hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 10:05:54 am »

Wow, just wow...

I put an SSD in my machine and immediately noticed the huge benefits for EQ...  Faster load times being the very first one.

Hate to take sides, but I am pretty sure he was referring to the SSD in a Surface. If that is the case, he is correct. An SSD or a traditional hard drive are both irrelevant in the Surface if it can't run EQ.

A quick skim of google gives a very uncertain view on the Surface for gaming. The Surface running "Surface RT" or whatever they decided to call it is apparently NOT a true Windows environment and supposedly will not run Windows 7 programs. The one sporting Windows 8 should actually work. Obviously you are heavily limited by hard drive space and RAM. As for video performance, I cannot find any solid answers or reviews of people trying it.

If you do end up trying it, PLEASE let us know. I am curious myself. :-)

-Hate

I'm so sorry Hunter, I tried...
Felony

Trump it

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 11:41:29 am »

Wow, just wow...

Ok faster load time like initial log in or each time you zone? imo its not going to make as big of a difference to boxing on ez as not using that piece of crap surface and getting something with a lot of ram.
This is not a server where its often that I just absolutely must zone 10 or 20 or even 30ms faster.

If we judged them by the content of their character, they'd be begging us to judge them by the color of their skin
MarbleArts

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 01:42:34 pm »

I use an ssd on one box and a 7200rpm hdd on the other.  comparable processors, ram, etc.  The SSD cuts load times in half.  The computer also boots, installs, and launches programs super fast.  SSDs also don't slow down over time and crash.  if you spend 100+ on a graphics card, why not spend an extra hundred on an ssd?
Anuli

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 01:45:13 pm »

Hate,
I had the same problem with information gathering, the Intel i5-3711 with HD 4000 has benchmarks on other laptops and i did find one review that someone ran diablo 3, portal 2, and some other games on full graphics except the shadow effects turned low and they had 30+ fps, no noticeable problems, hiccups or freezing. The hard drive will not effect gameplay in the slightest, the determining factor looks to be whether or not i can run it on win 8, however all reviewers state the pro runs legacy win 7 and below flawlessly so the last step is to find out for myself and as soon as i get it I'll pass on my results here for you.

Felony,
Bro calm down, what do you have against the surface? lol like i said it's mostly for work and I'm going to Miami for my doctorate in chemistry so i drive down there 2 hours away every Tuesday and Thursday for class so the lightweight design of the surface is perfect for carrying with me to do work and MS office, I'd rather not carry around a large laptop with loads of ram. It's a personal preference and i understand that getting lots of ram will let me box all 18 of my toons and that the surface obviously won't but it's more a question of can i play leisurely on a few and farm things in between classes or help people out than trying to find a portable solution to progressing all of my toons at the same time.
Anuli

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 04:13:08 pm »

Ok, well i got it and its the most amazing laptop tablet hybrid I've ever owned. I could run 4 at full graphics, but the 4th instance gets it a little too hot and they built the turboboost in to where if the processor runs too hot it will scale down to 1.5ghz or lower until it cools down. I could turn it off in the bios but i don't want to fry it faster than it will naturally burn out. I just won't run 4 at full graphics.

However i can run 1 at full and 5 at poor quality and have no lag issues or over heating. Will be good for when I'm not home for farming alt necessities, just have to get used to the tiny keyboard and Bluetooth mouse. Also it is 1080 by 1920 and looks beautiful!
Fugitive
Legend

TROLL KING

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013, 04:19:29 pm »

Ok, well i got it and its the most amazing laptop tablet hybrid I've ever owned. I could run 4 at full graphics, but the 4th instance gets it a little too hot and they built the turboboost in to where if the processor runs too hot it will scale down to 1.5ghz or lower until it cools down. I could turn it off in the bios but i don't want to fry it faster than it will naturally burn out. I just won't run 4 at full graphics.

However i can run 1 at full and 5 at poor quality and have no lag issues or over heating. Will be good for when I'm not home for farming alt necessities, just have to get used to the tiny keyboard and Bluetooth mouse. Also it is 1080 by 1920 and looks beautiful!

should be able to use any bt keyboard and mouse

also what was total cost if you dont mind sharing?

Quoted for the Brotherhood of Warriors
"I want my wizard to cast Fugitives instead of fireballs.
We can't always get what we want. ;-)"
-Hate"
Anuli

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 12:53:42 pm »

Yes i could use any bt keyboard, but the cover is a keyboard so i don't have to keep track of it since it is magnetically attached. It was 999 for the computer, 139 for the keyboard and i bought a case so all together $1300
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 6126
  • Latest: Maww
Stats
  • Total Posts: 64991
  • Total Topics: 5054
  • Online Today: 207