Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 04:35:53 pm *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: LAG SPIKES FROM HELL  (Read 8490 times)
Fugitive
Legend

TROLL KING

View Profile
« on: August 20, 2012, 03:56:55 pm »

8/20/12 1600 CST

Every mob we pull stutters... then multiple party members are down =(

What are ya querying? !!! Or changing !!

almost unplayable...  have to rez 1 or 2 every pull which is way abnormal..  

Also the deaths have cause the zone to crash x2....which is way abnormal.. 
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 04:00:42 pm by Fugitive » Logged

Quoted for the Brotherhood of Warriors
"I want my wizard to cast Fugitives instead of fireballs.
We can't always get what we want. ;-)"
-Hate"
Mattnaik

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 10:28:57 am »

I noticed this too when trying to loot anything it would take up to 15 seconds for the loot window to come up yesterday.

Any chance this is caused by the new race changer? I know literally nothing about the code so this is just a shot in the dark but just throwing it out there.

Hulkmad
Hunter
EZ Server GM
Legend

EZ Server GM

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 10:49:26 am »

Actually yeah, its probably the race changer. There is a huge 'blob' field in the character table that is probably causing lag from being accessed.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 12:20:38 pm by Hunter » Logged

Hunter - EZ Server GM
Camric

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 11:23:44 am »

For the race changer it might be best to setup a table to store all the daily requests and then have it execute after reboot and before server is made available. Or worst case, it occurs as soon as the server comes up.

Mattnaik

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 12:16:50 pm »

Actually yeah, its probably the race changer. There is a huge 'blob' file in the character table that is probably causing lag from being accessed.

I'm a software developer by trade and when I read this I started twitching uncontrollably.   Shocked

Hulkmad
hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 12:37:26 pm »

Actually yeah, its probably the race changer. There is a huge 'blob' file in the character table that is probably causing lag from being accessed.

I'm a software developer by trade and when I read this I started twitching uncontrollably.   Shocked

Could you join the EQEMU team and rewrite the SQL queries through quest scripts to be considerably more efficient and/or allow "out of band" queries that may pull in extra CPU cycles (instead of riding on the same ones and causing massive server lag when a special query is run)? :-P

-Hate

I'm so sorry Hunter, I tried...
Mattnaik

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 01:15:05 pm »

This reminds of one job I worked at where these people stored an XML configuration into a single table column. They would run "LIKE" queries against it. Thankfully they let me redesign that mess.

I never understood the concept of storing multiple pieces of data into a single column...just add another column. It makes your indexes actually do something other than take up hard drive space.

Hulkmad
Kenshou

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 02:08:01 pm »

I love the race changer, but if its going to cause problems like this to continue, id still like to suggest the permanent  illusion AA the enchanter gets be used instead. I spent some time in t5 yesterday and it was horrible swimming with the lag spikes
hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 02:11:16 pm »

This reminds of one job I worked at where these people stored an XML configuration into a single table column. They would run "LIKE" queries against it. Thankfully they let me redesign that mess.

I never understood the concept of storing multiple pieces of data into a single column...just add another column. It makes your indexes actually do something other than take up hard drive space.

So is that a yes or a no?

If you want to redesign the entire character system, redesign how gear is handled, and massively increase the character database size...go for it. As long as it is more efficient, it works, and you don't mind completely rebuilding the bulk of how the EQEMU server source handles gear.

http://code.google.com/p/projecteqemu/

Have at it.

-Hate

Hunter
EZ Server GM
Legend

EZ Server GM

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 02:23:37 pm »

I asked dev's before and umm yeah its a big task.

Hunter - EZ Server GM
hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 02:46:34 pm »

Is it actually a server issue or simply a connection issue? No point in reinventing the wheel (through code) for something that is simply a logistics issue.

-Hate

Kenshou

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 02:55:24 pm »

GIMMIE THE AA, problem solved
Mattnaik

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 03:12:46 pm »

So is that a yes or a no?

If you want to redesign the entire character system, redesign how gear is handled, and massively increase the character database size...go for it. As long as it is more efficient, it works, and you don't mind completely rebuilding the bulk of how the EQEMU server source handles gear.

http://code.google.com/p/projecteqemu/

Have at it.

-Hate

Normalizing the data properly (3NF) should reduce the size on disk, not increase it. What type of data access layer is in place? Does it use stored procedures for data access or is the SQL hardcoded in compiled code?

If I had more free time I would definitely consider taking a look at it. I work 60 hours a week so most of my free time is split between spending time with the wife and doing shit around the house.

Hulkmad
hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 03:42:37 pm »

All the relevant info is in the source on the link I sent. :-)

-Hate

lerxst2112

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2012, 04:21:03 pm »

Yeah, changing the character info to be stored as actual data fields instead of the blob is a huge task.  I think Trevius was chipping away at it a bit for a while, but until the whole thing is done the problem would still exist since it needs to save/load the whole thing until everything is out of it since the blob needs to stay the same size even if some of the data isn't used.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 6125
  • Latest: farrvva
Stats
  • Total Posts: 64988
  • Total Topics: 5053
  • Online Today: 163