Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 05:26:21 am *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: 'Gaming' in the workplace? (LDoN in the office...)  (Read 5583 times)
hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« on: October 25, 2011, 12:22:56 pm »

Afternoon EZ, I have questions about NON-EZ stuff.

I am trying to draft and submit a "gamification" in the workplace system. Essentially this system would reward employees for doing their job, going above and beyond, and then even some chance.

First, every employee will be allowed to accumulate points for keeping their station clean. This includes cleaning up any food spilled, any stacks of paper, keeping dust covers on their machines when they head home, and/or using the ticket system instead of showing up at the door "My <device> doesn't work". This will amount to a trivial amount of points weekly (and will be capped to prevent excess) but will stand as a fair share over time.

Second, every employee may find ways to improve his/her surrounds. This would enable a vigilant employee to obtain a fair share of extra points. This might include forwarding scam emails to us (IT Dept) so we may block the senders, reporting suspicious vehicles at start/end of day, or reporting any exploitative glitches/workarounds (such as a firewall workaround or torrent program that can be run while still under the software lockdown policy).

Third, (my favorite) employees can make weekly nominations. Each employee will be given a set amount of "nomination" points to allow him/her to nominate an employee who has done something extremely noteworthy can be awarded a small amount of extra points from others. This amount will not be capped, but it would require quite a bit of manipulation, begging, or nude-y pics to get a significant amount.

Basically, I have those generic examples and a few others:
  • Password Security (changing it every 90, not sharing, etc)
  • VPN ladies/gents logging in once a week at a certain time to get patched up
  • Possibly award minor points for commenting on weekly How-To articles or reading up on company news and commenting on it.

-Hate

I'm so sorry Hunter, I tried...
oldepharte

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 03:47:37 pm »

I had advantages in the workplace that you probably don't today.

Some of what you suggest rewarding employees for we mandated as part of their job responsibilities and therefore their annual performance evaluation.  Others we tended to reward via 'attaboys' in in-house and in-government publications.  Truly exemplary actions resulted in extra vacation and/or pay.  There may be some ways you can use these kinds of tools in your situation.

I have yet to meet a point system that cannot be scammed nor a nomination system that does not devolve into an old boy network.  But I am a cynical olde pharte!  Research and forethought can greatly reduce these issues.

The ideas have merit along with the potential pitfalls.

Skeezy Ratty Troll
Xiggie | Stone
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 06:54:10 pm »

Sounds like there are too many details. You have to remember that anytime you introduce something like this in a non-gaming atmosphere not everyone will be as enthusiastic as you about it. And those with less enthusiasm are going to get lost in the details.

yawn_god

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 07:06:15 pm »

All in all, these sort of things always seemed slightly patronizing to me.
L0stman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 08:24:29 pm »

All in all, these sort of things always seemed slightly patronizing to me.

Ayup.

I am a professional - if I came in to the office to find some twenty something kid mandating an "office game" like this, I would be a bit peeved.  If it was accepted, I would be disappointed - disappointed as I would need to look for a new job.

I come to work to work.
whatzizface

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 08:30:57 pm »

If i went to work and found out that we would get points for certain things i would run by the cubicles every morning screaming about how we needed to stay out of the whelps or i would get a 50DKP minus, But it wouldnt stop me from shooting my stapler across the hall claiming i was Dps. So i would be looking for a new job as well.

yawn_god

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 08:55:49 pm »

If i went to work and found out that we would get points for certain things i would run by the cubicles every morning screaming about how we needed to stay out of the whelps or i would get a 50DKP minus, But it wouldnt stop me from shooting my stapler across the hall claiming i was Dps.
  I would run around with permanent marker, poking everyone and everything with it, screaming "More dots". 
hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 05:28:27 pm »

I see I have wasted my time.

It isn't just a game to "level up" at work. It actually would contain rewards such as free lunch(es), movie tickets, and maybe at end year something much larger.

However, I see that instead of suggestions I am met with opinion.

Whatziz, thank you.

-Hate

I'm so sorry Hunter, I tried...
Xiggie | Stone
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 05:44:57 pm »

Suggestions generally are opinions.

whatzizface

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 05:49:25 pm »

Hate
 I am sorry if you took my joking around as offensive, I never meant that at all. When posting on a gaming forum site it is rarely taken as asking for serious advice on workplace ethics (or workable reward systems meant for employees). Once again i apologize if any offense was taken by my post.

Kovou

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 09:10:46 pm »

hate before i give suggestions may i ask what it is you do for work? to give me abeter idea?
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 6124
  • Latest: Havicck
Stats
  • Total Posts: 64988
  • Total Topics: 5053
  • Online Today: 182