Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 06:29:06 pm *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Spell file help! Not sure where to put this question  (Read 5828 times)
slaughterhaus

View Profile
« on: August 19, 2010, 02:20:55 am »

Hey guys sorry if I'm posting in the wrong spot but I'm tuckered out and at wits end.

I'm running a berserker and until today I've been unable to run any combat abilities. Upon Hunters suggestion I reloaded the spells_us.txt file on my laptop while at work. Bingo it works great!!!

I tried to perform the same function at home on my desktop and haven't had any changes at all.
I've reinstalled, I've copied the files from my laptop you name it.
No changes.

Interestingly also My UI position and button lables haven't changed either. This is leading me to believe that the server is still seeing an older image of my character and spell files on my desktop. But hell I'm stumped!

Any way, any help will be gladly implemented and greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Slaughterhaus
Xiggie | Stone
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 02:39:18 am »

Look at the icon that you use to load eq. Right click in and see where it is being directed to. It sounds as if you are running multiple copies and are just uninstalling the wrong copy.

slaughterhaus

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 02:49:58 am »

That sounds feasible but there is only one sony folder and just one everquest folder.
I double checked to see that it wasn't an admin issue, or a case of multiple versions under different users.
Just one user.
Me.
hmmm
lerxst2112

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 09:07:44 am »

Right-click the shortcut and open the properties, then click "Find Target" or "Open File Location" depending on which version of Windows you're running.  That folder is where the spell file needs to be unzipped.
slaughterhaus

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 01:09:12 pm »

Yeah that's were it is. I'm stumped on this one.
I've done a search for multiple instances of eq and found nadda.
I've deleted any extra files left over after uninstalling and then made a clean install.
I then unzipped the spell file into the correct folder renaming the old version prior of course and still the problem persists.
If I hadn't had success with my laptop I would have surely given in by now, but I know it's possible.

Again thanks for the input!

Xiggie | Stone
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 01:26:25 pm »

Sorry to harp on this but did you right click on your short cut and visually see where the short cut goes to? Reason I ask this is because you uninstalled it and then deleted the folder yet your ui stayed the same. That is not possible unless somehow the ui files and ini files stayed behind. Also, what version of windows are you using? What version of eq are you using? Where did you get that version of eq? If you got it from steam that could be an issue too.

bufferofnewbies

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 03:17:46 pm »

Since this worked on one system but not another:

Right click your folder and make sure 'under Properties' that it is not set to 'Read Only'. This will cause it to appear to patch, but will not actually change any files.

Alhbie Eurhuckelberry <Brans Flakes> -- Erudite Paladin
Branlenio <Brans Flakes>-- Gnome Mage
slaughterhaus

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 10:39:46 pm »

Ok update. I'm running widows 7. Turns out even though I uninstalled EQ completely from my system there was still a virtualstore location containing all of the eq files that are generated from playing the game. I guess windows 7 doesn't allow eq to write directly to the progamfiles(x86) folder. This is where i found all the .ini files ext.
When uninstalling It seems that eq didn't think to remove those files. /shrug

Now the question is as im about to reinstall eq should I delete those files first or go for it....

Still I do not have an answer why it worked on my windows 7 laptop but not my pc.
I will try to investigate further. Hopefully this is the right avenue.
Thanks!

oh and yes I checked the location of the shortcut. Everything was spot on there.
Slaughterhaus
slaughterhaus

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 12:05:48 am »

Update!

we are good! I removed the spell_us file from the \\Computer name\Users\me\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Sony\EverQuest

blamo reinstalled downloaded the ezserver spell_us file extracted it to the physical programfiles(x86) location and loaded up eq.

All combat abilities are in working order.

Thanks for the sounding board guys
Slaughterhaus
lerxst2112

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 12:40:43 am »

I would recommend not installing older programs to Program Files on Vista or Windows 7.  It's just too much hassle when the virtualization stuff kicks in and messes things up.

Glad you figured it out though. Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 64994
  • Total Topics: 5054
  • Online Today: 191
  • Online Ever: 8678