Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 11:53:39 am *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Windows 10 rant  (Read 6125 times)
aythena

View Profile
« on: January 25, 2016, 08:08:37 am »

First off, Not a fan of it. Many reasons beyond gaming. If linux had full support of games I would never look back to windows again, but the simple fact is windows 10 HATES 9.0 directx, no matter how you dl fix, yell at it, romance it, just a simple fact, tried every possible known fix I could possibly find, and its not just eq clients, even current games, such as tera, are having issues due to the windows 10 and direct 9 problems, it cause the computer to lag out horribly, grant it playing a game with one client its tolerable, but the simple fact I went from running 18 toons smoothly to horrible lag with 12, after doing several different things, such as trying every possible optimization and fix anyone could suggest, and still come up with two results, client would hang then dc, or I would get massive lag 1-2fps on multiple pulls, is disheartening to say the least, At first I thought it was my computer, then I thought it was just due to the fact of how old Everquest itself is, versus how new windows 8+ were. But the fact is, its messing up a lot of games in general, lets not even mention the fact of how it force freezes the computer after doing updates. Anyways this is a Windows 10 QQ post, Let the salt rain :p

Leader of the Angry Waifu Club:
Cause even waifu have feels too.
spuddson

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 10:22:28 am »

I had really bad lag when i started win10. found out it was the search indexer and an anti malware program eating all resources.

I turned of the auto indexing and removed the anti mailware and had no issues since
Darpey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 10:51:01 am »

I run a very clean Windows 10 (minimal additional programs), pretty much my games and AVG free (antivirus). Zero problem. Fast.

But I have a fast computer (OS and applications/games on SSD, 16gb RAM, GTX 970 video, i5 4690k processor)

I'll go against the grain of this post and say Windows 10 is my favorite OS so far.

Like everyone I:
liked XP (LAN Parties pre-XP were fun, spend the first half of the party making IP addresses match, and fixing conflicts, the other half playing)
disliked Vista (XP + unnecessary extra crap)
loved 7 (who doesn't?)
Hated 8 (I actually bought it, then uninstalled, and gave away my copy)
Came to tolerate 8.1 (But still hate the "Metro" thing they were trying to push)
Loved 10

Also I play lots of old games on Windows 10 with no problems
King's Quest games (via DOSBox, depending on the age)
Space Quest games (via DOSBox, depending on the age)
Quest for Glory games (via DOSBox, depending on the age)
Monkey Island games (via DOSBox, depending on the age)
Commander Keen games (via DOSBox, depending on the age)
Halo PC
Age of Empires Original
Medal of Honor Allied Assault
Call of Duty: World at War
Rainbow Six: Raven Shield
RollerCoaster Tycoon
Star Wars KOTOR
N64 Emulator (Mostly Zelda, OOT and MM, and Starfox)
Tyrian
Starcraft Original
Worms Armageddon
Elder Scrolls: Morrowind
EverQuest original (Project 1999 via Titanium Client)

My Max Payne original has some graphics glitches
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 11:04:32 am by Darpey » Logged

Darpey - Warrior <Focus Hope>
http://www.ezserverwiki.com/
Kwai

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 02:19:20 pm »

Agree with above poster on the anti-malware issue.  Once I disabled Vipre during game times all went smoothly on 18 toons.
Chunka
Legend

Been gone so long I'm a newbie again!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 02:20:28 pm »

Absolutely zero problems with any DX9 game and windows 10. Wife's machine is actually running DX9 games BETTER using Win10 than using 7...mine not a huge change, except for EZ clients, which used about 40% less resources in general for me (18 boxes running) than the same hardware and Win7. FORTY percent less resource! Thats a pretty huge reduction.

Other friends making the switch also saw perf upgrades.....but after asking all of use have search indexing disabled (pretty common tweak since Windows 98 days when shutting off Indexing Service was a must). You might wanna try that....but any way you look at it Windows 10 isnt the only problem; the issue lay elsewhere with your system and compatibility with the new OS.

"When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything — you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." R.A. Heinlein
Chunka
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 02:22:20 pm »

And yeah.....anti malware can have a pretty big impact. Which are you running? And is the updater looping?

"When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything — you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." R.A. Heinlein
Noot

EZServerHowTo Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 06:30:11 pm »

I was also reluctant to move from 8 to 10, due to all of my editing software possibly being incompatible.  I made the switch about a month ago and I haven't see a difference in performance from my boxes.  At the moment I'm running 15 fully loaded boxes.

My OS is a lot like Darpey.  I turned off a lot of programs and apps as soon as I upgraded.

aythena

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 07:29:48 am »

Absolutely zero problems with any DX9 game and windows 10. Wife's machine is actually running DX9 games BETTER using Win10 than using 7...mine not a huge change, except for EZ clients, which used about 40% less resources in general for me (18 boxes running) than the same hardware and Win7. FORTY percent less resource! Thats a pretty huge reduction.

Other friends making the switch also saw perf upgrades.....but after asking all of use have search indexing disabled (pretty common tweak since Windows 98 days when shutting off Indexing Service was a must). You might wanna try that....but any way you look at it Windows 10 isnt the only problem; the issue lay elsewhere with your system and compatibility with the new OS.
AMD FX 8320 8 core processor
12gigs
Radeon HD 7800
All games running on a SSD
Gigabyte 990fx-ud3
Yeah no most of my hardware is more then up to date, there absolutely no excuse why it wouldn't be 'compatible' considering the website has drivers for winblows 10. I guess I can try excessive tweaking, just look at this crap os like vista needs a lot of updates and tweaking to be worth a damn . Glad you've had great experience with it but every one I have talked to has had nothing but problems, hang ups on updates, having to reboot it several times and repair it after updates, having to fully re install drivers after updates, to me its worse then vista pure and simple, Had less issues with updates and hang ups from a vista machine then this plox coded garbage but hey it is what is it is, you said 'clean install' are you talking about buying windows 10 disc and fresh real install or doing the free upgrade because that could be the difference.

Chunka
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 12:15:26 pm »

I am no longer on a direct helpdesk (thank you God) but I am still in the business. Tons of friends, coworkers and customers took the update, and universally if they are having problems its been something on their end (and seldom hardware related). Most often its something they are running that doesnt like Win 10, or a tweak they made to their old OS that doesnt work with 10 when they upgraded. Only surefire method I know of to fix it is to do a clean install of Win 10, but you probably could also start turning off services and check performance differences.

Chunka
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 12:20:54 pm »

And definitely turn off the search indexer

aythena

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016, 11:06:24 am »

I am no longer on a direct helpdesk (thank you God) but I am still in the business. Tons of friends, coworkers and customers took the update, and universally if they are having problems its been something on their end (and seldom hardware related). Most often its something they are running that doesnt like Win 10, or a tweak they made to their old OS that doesnt work with 10 when they upgraded. Only surefire method I know of to fix it is to do a clean install of Win 10, but you probably could also start turning off services and check performance differences.
Done 5+ clean installs now and same results chunka, same issues, same problems.

Raygan
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2016, 03:53:31 pm »

I was having issues with Windows 10 on install...I had to do a clean install (not saving any files/programs) and after that it ran 100%...dont know if that will help or not

Hate's Most Hateful Hater
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 64994
  • Total Topics: 5054
  • Online Today: 79
  • Online Ever: 8678