Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 02:17:17 pm *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: AFK code  (Read 12958 times)
walk2k

Hero Posts: 99999

View Profile
« on: July 20, 2016, 05:38:55 pm »

Sadly, I have to bring this up... know I'll get some flack for it but..

I know years ago EZ used to have AFK code, it would kick you after 20 or 30 minutes I think, of inactivity. I'm pretty sure it applied only to Nexus (non-instanced).

I'm sorry to say I think this needs to be re-implemented. Performance even on a beefy machine like mine (i7 6700k 4.0Ghz quad core, 16gb ram, Geforce 980) slows to a sad slideshow in Nexus now where we are seeing 100+ toons, most of them idle.

Apparently a lot of these toons are just parked there to get uber-buffs (which is maybe a whole other topic but..).

I know logging in 48 toons or whatever is a pain, and is why some folks just park them when they're done playing... As long as the server can handle this I don't see a problem, except when they are all parked in the SAME PLACE. Parking them in an instance of Nexus, or anywhere else, should be fine, and doesn't seem like a huge burden to ask people..

What do you guys think?

warrior5

YAY

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 05:41:39 pm »

Tongue

KnowFear

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 06:34:38 pm »

Serverwide buffs would be fucking epic too. (like what Akka's Funhouse used to have).
Kruciel

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 08:33:16 pm »

It'll only take a week for someone to post the anti-afk script and then it'll just go back to normal, then the forum posts about people too lazy to use it complain about being kicked on all boxes for going to grab a drink, the circle completes  Grin
Avanju

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 11:15:42 pm »

I log 12 toons in and while the lag in nexus is noticeable, it is also very bearable.  You could try instancing your own nexus to serve as a home base, or use stone hive if the lag is not workable for you.
Goth

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2016, 07:23:22 am »

i never go to Nexus, unless I have to.. I use / go to  Stone Hive ... you can do pretty anything in Stone Hive and more with 0 lag
Peign
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 08:19:44 am »

We've been there, done that on this server.   No need for that type of solution.    The solution, as others have stated, is not to go to nexus or create your own instance of nexus. 
walk2k

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2016, 02:21:19 pm »

Thanks for the feedback.

Problem with using Stonehive or instance of Nexus is, all the clickies port you to Nexus, the charms, and later on the tier boots... I guess I could bind all my toons in SH and use the "gate" ring..

Back then the server also rebooted once a day... that helped clear it out too. I guess there have been some improvements since then... like I said, if the server can handle 100+ people being logged in the same zone idle, ok then?

Leis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2016, 03:05:15 pm »

Use your belt, it ports you to stonehive.

Flin is alone with the grimoire. I stab it, no wait I backstab it! You can't backstab it, you can't sneak attack an inanimate object. Why not it's prone? It doesn't have a discernible anatomy. It's got a spine doesn't it? *Rolls a 1 and stabs himself.
Leis  ~  Daira  ~  Arith  ~  Laria
Ponzi

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2016, 05:51:48 pm »

I can fix all problems instantly:

Have the nexus public banker DT anyone who stays in his proximity for more than 15 minutes.

You'll see the nexus numbers drop by 80% immediately.

The delicious irony of the buff begging is I was one of the last hold outs who'd still go and buff out nexus a few times a day.

Since the lag in there is so bad these days I really no longer bother. So they are actually discouraging the buffs they are trying to cheese with the little lemming party. Seriously there is like 200 people idling in the nexus. I've been here off and on since 2008  and its never been even remotely that bad.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 05:53:30 pm by Ponzi » Logged

Ponzi Scheme - Monk
Kanyon - Paladin
Kiwis - Warrior
Avacado - Cleric
Leis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2016, 10:09:39 pm »

Wow, 200 is a lot for the nexus. If its that big of a problem, maybe Akka can add in a zone wide skele buff that goes off every so often. That should lower the amount of models being loaded.

Flin is alone with the grimoire. I stab it, no wait I backstab it! You can't backstab it, you can't sneak attack an inanimate object. Why not it's prone? It doesn't have a discernible anatomy. It's got a spine doesn't it? *Rolls a 1 and stabs himself.
Leis  ~  Daira  ~  Arith  ~  Laria
Dimur

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2016, 12:20:22 am »

Sounds like a  player  made problem with an easy player  made solution...I always  had the opinion that buffers buff so people will like and or acknowledge them. Buffing the  shit out of a lower level player doesn't help them at all, it just allows them to blow through content at a ridiculous rate only to fuck themselves over when they get to content that requires the grind to progress. I  have no problem helping players in need of a boost...a bit of insight on their group make-up, content relevant questions or just casual banter but I am adamantly mindful of not enabling them by negating content that they are more than capable of doing themselves for them.  If  someone  dies on the 3rd floor of LDON and needs a rez I have no problem with helping out...if Shadow is a bit too much to handle before the zone starts respawning I am happy to come kill him, but if someone afk's to leech buffs that they neither need or have access to on their own then they can afk for days for all I care.

tl;dr Stop massing buffs because it doesn't help the people begging for them to actually play the game, but if you  think it somehow enhances their playtime, buff every hour on the hour if you want.
walk2k

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2016, 11:21:39 am »

" I've been here off and on since 2008  and its never been even remotely that bad. " Agreed.

Crab used to buff in weird places, Butcherblock docks, Runneye banker, etc... Just to make the nubz work for it a little. Cool

Goyuzund

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2016, 11:31:57 am »

if buffing lower tier people is such a issue and makes the game so much easier then what of higher tiers grinding out UWs and basically giving away all the loot they generate to a lowbie, if you wanna stand on the soap box that buffing them makes it to easy then you should probably refocus on giving away entire tiers worth of gear.  Unless of course thats not the real reason you have issue with it.

walk2k

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2016, 11:59:17 am »

If mgmt feels the higher tier buffs trivialize the lower tiers they could restrict them by level (as they did with the XP mask).

As far as giving gear away, if you've made it to say Tier 5 and some Tier 9/10 guy is clearing the zone for ess's you're just going to get your gear/flags a little faster - you still need to get the flag to be in the zone in the first place.. That's a bit different than a brandnew 70 getting a 400k Hp buff (when they naturally have something like 8-10k) and solo'ing Plane of Time..
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 01:38:33 pm by walk2k » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 6124
  • Latest: Havicck
Stats
  • Total Posts: 64988
  • Total Topics: 5053