Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 10:26:21 pm *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Laptop Help  (Read 18729 times)
jaxs1031

View Profile
« on: July 01, 2015, 06:58:43 pm »

I'm sorry to post this here, but i need a little help. I know nothing about computers.
The laptop I'm on now was ok till i clicked a wrong link on a torent trying to download EQ what ever it was slowed my computer down so bad its shit now I have tried a few spybots.. windows virus scanner..and norton scanner and nothing.
 So in short i need a new laptop it's killing me trying to play on this. so I'm asking for help picking one out I have $600 can anyone please post a link from Bestbuy to a better laptop that doesn't go ove $600..here are the stats on this computer...

Windows 7 Home Preium

Manufacturer.. ASUST eK Computer Inc.

Model.. Asus Notebook K73SD/K73E/K73SV  Series

Processor... Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2350M CPU @ 2.30GHz 2.30 Ghz

Installed memory (RAM).... 4.00GB

System type... 64-bit Operating System

186GB hard Drive

Raygan
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 07:41:37 pm »

If it was ok before the download and you cant get anything removed...just do a system restore and bring it back up to original specs.

Hate's Most Hateful Hater
Kovou

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 07:47:57 pm »

i can find you tons of cheap laptops that are decent for under 600$ but if that is all that is wrong with the laptop then just system restore (or factory reset) hell i'll take the one thats fucked up if your just gonna throw it out lol
jaxs1031

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 07:56:08 pm »

How do i restore it back that far ? I tried looking for it but it would only let me restore it back so far and it's after it got messed up.
Chunka
Legend

Been gone so long I'm a newbie again!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 08:58:35 pm »

Avoid best buy. You pay for all kinds of garbage you 1) wont ever use and 2) dont really want.

If you cannot system restore back to the point before you hit the torrent crap (and WHY would you go to torrents??? There's a safe, easy link to the UF client in the ez guide, and link to the RoF2 client, or Steam download for RoF2...and instructions on setting up either there) then try MS Security Essentials, Malwarebytes (freeware version is fine) then finish off with CCleaner. That SHOULD wipe out whatever's ailing you.

If you decide you just want a new machine, thats fine too. I'd do Tigerdirect.com or newegg.com (I prefer newegg).

Example:  Refurb laptop: $194

New Laptop $469

Or go for a new tower (towers typically give you more bang for the buck, and handle gaming better for far, far less cash. Example: New tower with new RADEON 380 vid card for $659

That tower will handle whatever you wanna throw at it, and should last you years.

Just some options.

"When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything — you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." R.A. Heinlein
Darpey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 09:24:26 pm »

I built my computer for around 1000... but this web site is pretty spot on with its suggestions for a price range (if you're wanting to build a complete system yourself from scratch)

choosemypc.net

Here's a link to a $600 build without Windows or a CD Drive

Then just buy it all on Amazon

Just looked at Chunka's suggestion for a pre-made tower... Chunka's Newegg Tower - pretty killer deal for $659... can't really go wrong with that at that price point

BUT the one way that will get rid of all viruses... I mean all viruses... and it ends up taking less time IMO than trying to hunt them down is...

Format your PC

Back it all up then nuke the bastard... do a clean reinstall of Windows. Might want to do a virus scan of all your old stuff to make sure you don't reinfect.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 09:33:30 pm by Darpey » Logged

Darpey - Warrior <Focus Hope>
http://www.ezserverwiki.com/
Chunka
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 09:50:54 pm »

Format your PC

IF you have your OS disks, or a setup process if you have some mass market systems.

"When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything — you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." R.A. Heinlein
Krinkle

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 12:44:35 am »

And if you dont have OS cds, Torrent it, if you dont know what your doing when your using torrent, dont use it, ask someone who does know to send you links to verified safe (as verified safe as possible) torrents, I got all my EQs from torrent, and my windows 7 from torrent, and I can use windows updates and everything all legit. (of course i bought all the eqs and windows 7 before so i have the liscense and can legally download those things=p)

But i agree just back up the naked pics of chicks and videos of you and your ex's and re install windows.

Krinkle Sprinkle
RedDwarf

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 01:44:52 am »

You could try a system restore, dosnt always work
But worth a try,if enabled

If that dosnt work, Most laptops have a factory restore mode
Usually pressing f12 for example when booting up to bring back as new

Worst case is buying a legit os
If the laptop was ok before. Why buy a new one
Save your money )

Red

jaxs1031

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 03:59:52 am »

I'll try and answer a few questions ..I used a Torrent to try and download eq before i found this server I was trying to play on p99 i was on there a day before i found this server by then it was to late and when i said windows scanner i meant MS Security Essentials and i also tried Malwarebytes. anything  do on here is so slow windows freezes up web pages load like I'm on dial up if I'm lucky and the sound is messed up the first 30 sec are ok after that it get a loud buzz in it every 3 sec... have no system disks for it..and i do have a really good desktop just would like a new laptop or to fix this one so I can play in different rooms of the house. and the reason a asked for best buy is it's easier for me to go there and pick one up and i could tell my wife that i was working and some junky walked by and i got it for $50 if she found out i spent $600 on a new computer she'd go bat shit and kill me and as far as using a  Torrent to download anything else I'm going to stay away i wouldn't know how to setup and reinstall windows myself unless it tells you how.but I'll give the F12 thing a shot and see if that works...I tried the F12 thing it did nothing i got options for f8 but it will only let me go back about a month I'd need to go back a lot longer then that..
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 04:32:10 am by jaxs1031 » Logged
Darpey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2015, 06:07:46 am »

If you like your laptop, and don't want to spend money for a new one, then the best option (after trying to devirus it) would be to format or system restore rather than buying a new compy.

If you know how to do it, it's a fairly simple process - but for a person unfamiliar with the process, it can be very confusing (like playing EZ Smiley). The sad thing is that any one of us could get it going quickly if we were physically at your computer :/

One thing you might try (which has kinda already been said), is torrent the current version of windows you have (e.g. Windows 7)... and burn it to a DVD. - If you get the EXACT same version you can even use the Windows key, which is probably on the bottom of your laptop... and then you're 100% legal. - Or just break down and actually re-purchase a new OS disk.

To format, depending on the disk, and what version you're running now, you'll have to do one of two things:

1. Put the disk in the drive and restart - there will be an option during bootup saying something like "press any key to boot from disk"

if you don't see that message, or it doesn't work

2. Put the disk in the drive while your computer is running, and run setup (My Computer --> DVD Drive --> etc...)
a) The setup will start, and should give you an option of "which files to keep" fairly early on... make sure to select "No Files" - or something to that effect... then just babysit the process.

Keep asking questions here - There's no reason you shouldn't be able to keep using your old computer after you fix it.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 06:18:45 am by Darpey » Logged

WatchYouDie

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2015, 07:31:35 am »

[Quote ]

BUT the one way that will get rid of all viruses... I mean all viruses... and it ends up taking less time IMO than trying to hunt them down is...

Format your PC

Back it all up then nuke the bastard... do a clean reinstall of Windows. Might want to do a virus scan of all your old stuff to make sure you don't reinfect.
[/quote]
 Not exactlly true but close enough

Darpey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2015, 08:29:24 am »

Admittedly, I'm no computer genius. How can a virus survive a hard format? Can they implant themselves on bios?  Shocked

WatchYouDie

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2015, 08:57:33 am »

Normal format doesn't cover the mbr.. and there are a few that can stay in ram past post... (old days of bios format) they don't come around very much anymore but they happen
Chunka
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2015, 09:35:29 am »

PO Box is like 15 bucks. Set one up, have it delivered to the PO box. They will as long as the billing address is your own.

Best Buy for PC's or components is like shopping for cars at Car Hop. You KNOW you're gonna get screwed, and they charge you double for the reach around.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 64994
  • Total Topics: 5054
  • Online Today: 179
  • Online Ever: 8678
  • (December 19, 2022, 02:32:09 pm)