Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 12:03:41 pm *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: LAG SPIKES FROM HELL  (Read 8550 times)
Camric

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2012, 09:58:31 am »

Not only would it reduce the drag on the database but it would also increase the efficiency of the client.  Instead of front loading the data on start-up, query on demand when required.

It would be good to speak with Tervius to understand why the decision was made to use a blob versus loading the data directly to tables.

lerxst2112

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2012, 11:37:12 am »

The decision to store as a blob was made a long time ago, and not by Trevius as far as I know.  It is a convenient way to serialize a large struct all at once occasionally, but not a good solution when the data changes frequently as we appear to be seeing.
Mattnaik

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2012, 12:01:00 pm »

The decision to store as a blob was made a long time ago, and not by Trevius as far as I know.  It is a convenient way to serialize a large struct all at once occasionally, but not a good solution when the data changes frequently as we appear to be seeing.

...or to query against it, or to gain performance benefits of indexing, or to maintain referential integrity, or to normalize the data to prevent repetition, or basically anything you use a database for.

I don't mean to sound so critical I would just really like to know what benefit is gained by doing it this way. Cause I can't think of a single one. I'm not saying there isn't one, and I have been known to overlook things before so I'm genuinely curious.

Hulkmad
lerxst2112

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2012, 12:36:21 pm »

Feel free to ask on the emu boards.  From my perspective it was just a convenient way to store a C++ struct in the easiest manner while reverse engineering what each byte in the struct was for.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 6125
  • Latest: farrvva
Stats
  • Total Posts: 64988
  • Total Topics: 5053
  • Online Today: 232