Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 11:21:15 am *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Seeds of Destruction and EQEmu  (Read 11242 times)
Trevius
EQEmu Developer

View Profile
« on: April 03, 2010, 11:13:59 pm »

Since you guys moved to new forums here, I figured I would start another thread about the status of the new SoD client and give some updated information on it as well.

Currently, as of now, the sale of SoD from steam for $2.50 is still going even though it is well after March 28th when it said the sale was supposed to end.  If you don't have your copy of SoD yet, I recommend getting one before the sale ends!

Link to Steam for getting the SoD client for EQEmu:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/24130/

Currently, we are still waiting on Rogean to update the EQEmu Public Login Server to work with SoD, but that should hopefully happen any day now.

The EQEmu developers have been hard at work to get the SoD client caught up with SoF and beyond and even though it has been less than 2 weeks that we have been working on it, it is already nearly done!  All major systems seem to function very well.  We have resolved just about all of the known issues with the SoD client already and only have a couple of minor issues left to work on until we start getting more bug reports from players actually playing and testing all systems.  As soon as the Login Server is allowing SoD clients to log in, any server that is current with the SVN will be able to allow SoD clients to start playing immediately.

I have left my SoD client logged into my test server every day since I was first able to get in over a week ago, and have not crashed a single time other than while we were working on some development stuff.  So, the client itself is definitely much more stable than SoF and probably even more stable than Titanium.

It has built-in multi-core CPU support that means you won't need to worry about adding any multi-core fixes or anything to be able to run SoD.  It also assigns EQ to a single core per session you have up and will assign your first session to 1 core, and your next EQ session to the next available core and so on.  This means that boxing performance should be better than normal on most other clients.

SoD also has a feature to let you set the frame rate for EQ windows in the background, which further helps with boxing performance.  One nice improvement that SoD has over SoF is that it has an option that will let you lock the window size when in windowed mode, which prevents accidental window resizing and a potential crash.  I haven't seen a single issue from switching windows when boxing on SoD so far.

I also notice that SoD does not spike your CPU to 100% and keep it there like Titanium and SoF can do sometimes.  SoD only seems to use the CPU amount that it actually needs, so I think that helps with performance and stability as well.

The SoD client also works much better with custom UIs than SoF did, since SoF has a known bug with UIs that was worked out before the SoD client came out.  I have tested quite a few UIs on SoD, and so far, it seems to work with many of the UIs from the beginning of 2009 up to even the most current UIs out there.  There may need to be some slight adjustments needed for custom UIs from different expansions (like Underfoot) to work 100% correctly on SoD, but in general they seem to work well for the most part.

The SoF client took us months of work to get it to the point we now have SoD now in less than 2 weeks!  I expect some very nice things from the SoD client and again am recommending that everyone who can afford the $2.50 to get it right now and download it before the sale ends.

If you are interested on the current development status of SoD, you can check the development tracking thread for it here:

http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=30909

As you can see, there are not many issues with it that we are aware of that haven't already been resolved.  I have even been going back through some of the remaining SoF issues that also exist in SoD and resolving them too.  My hopes are that this will be the next mainstream EQEmu client and will replace Titanium.  The more people that get it now, the better.

If there are any questions or concerns, post them here and I will answer what I can Smiley
Trevius
EQEmu Developer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 03:45:23 pm »

Just an FYI, but the sale on Steam to get SoD for $2.50 has ended and it has returned to it's normal price of $19.99 for now.  I hope that everyone who wanted it was able to get it before the sale ended!  This client is great and that was quite a deal!
qualin

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 04:22:35 pm »

Any word if and when all the SoD AA might be added into EQ Emu?
Crabthewall

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 04:23:05 pm »

Just an FYI, but the sale on Steam to get SoD for $2.50 has ended and it has returned to it's normal price of $19.99 for now.  I hope that everyone who wanted it was able to get it before the sale ended!  This client is great and that was quite a deal!

I've heard this client uses way more memory than the old one. Have you noticed that at all in your testing?
Trevius
EQEmu Developer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 05:33:09 pm »

Well, I play with just about everything set to max, so SoD eats quite a bit of memory. It seems like it may handle memory better for multi-boxing, though. When I load up the first instance of SoD with max settings, it uses about 1GB of RAM, which is about what SoF uses with max settings. But, when I load up more instances of SoD, the extra instances only use a fraction of what the first one uses, and currently take about 400MB each. If you have settings all set to low for textures and effects, and have Luclin models turned off, I am sure it would be considerably less RAM usage than that. I haven't tried minimum settings yet to see how much it uses.

Even Titanium with max settings and Luclin models  on can get well over 700MB of RAM usage for an instance of EQ.  I don't think Titanium handles RAM as well for multi-boxing as SoD does, but haven't fully tested that yet for a good comparison.

It does definitely seem to be easier on the CPU when multi-boxing than any other client, so that should help performance.

As for SoF/SoD AAs; there is no ETA on when those will be added in.  Not even all of the Titanium ones are added and/or functional yet.  AAs from the newer clients definitely could be added at any time, but I wouldn't expect them until the Titanium ones are all done, which will probably be quite a while still.

Getting the SoD client for AAs isn't really the reason to get it right now.  The main reason is to allow you to experience any new content on any server that might use SoD features and content.  Another reason is for getting some of the new built in features and also better hardware support and performance such as the new Multi-Core CPU Support and others.  There are quite a few nice features from the SoF and SoD clients that didn't exist in Titanium.  Here is a small list of some nice features off the top of my head:

1. The Group Window now shows Mana and Endurance bars for each of your party members, so you always know how much mana your Cleric has and what-not.

2. The bank has 8 extra slots for a total of 24 instead of the normal 16 from Titanium (tons of extra space).

3. The in game maps now have an option to show where your party members are if they are in the same zone as you.

4. The Loot All option now works when looting corpses.

5. New Power Source Inventory Slot available.

6. Heroic Stats and Resists as well as a few other new item stats that didn't exist in Titanium.

7. Dozens of new zones, new NPC races, playable Drakkin race, hundreds of new weapon models.

8. Much better lighting system.  Once you see it, you will never want to be in the dark of Titanium again!

9. Not restricted to a max spell ID of 9999 like Titanium is, which means that reaching higher levels with full spells is possible.

10. Attack, AC, and Skills show correctly above level 70 (they show as bugged in Titanium).

11. Normally, zoning is noticeably faster on SoF and SoD.

12. SoD seems to be more stable than SoF and even Titanium so far.

13. Spellbooks are 60 pages instead of the normal 50 in Titanium, which gives 80 more spell slots.

14. SoD has better multi-boxing support than SoF and probably even better than Titanium, at least for Multi-Core CPU systems.

There are plenty more, but those are just a few reasons.

Keep in mind that some of the things listed there depend on the server whether they will take advantage of them or not.  You aren't going to get access to a ton of new fully populated and finished zones, as they have to be created from scratch.  Depending on the server, you may or may not see some of the things in this list, but that is up to the devs/admins to decide what they want to take advantage of.
Balthor

Vote for Pedro

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 07:56:36 am »

SoD is a much nicer and cleaner version of the game. I remember when it first was released live I jumped on test server for a month and had a blast.
Test server xp is my little bitch. Almost wished my druid was a mage however with the nice AA/Spells they had.

Will be nice whenever the spells / AA's are all working but just the client upgrade by it self is pure sex.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 6125
  • Latest: farrvva
Stats
  • Total Posts: 64988
  • Total Topics: 5053
  • Online Today: 282