Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 07:09:15 pm *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Newbie, first week. Getting buffed???  (Read 5826 times)
JLPicard

View Profile
« on: January 05, 2017, 07:19:39 pm »

Buff Bot is great, don't get me wrong, just not great enough.  I have noticed since I started this week that asking for buffs is frowned upon.  I have seen buffers go as far as hide in out of the way places so their MGB's are not hitting those folks congregating in central areas. 

So, what's the newbie to do?  I guess the answer is that we have to spend our first couple of days getting our own buffers up to speed so we can self buff.
Loyal

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 09:48:49 pm »

There are three main player types when it comes to buffing:

1.) Those who just buff themselves and dont want to go back to the nexus every hour to re-buff. These people typically dont bother publicly buffing because they arent used to thinking about /ooc'ing when they get on.
2.) Those who /ooc and buff in nexus ever few hours if not on the hour. Most of these people are currently on hiatus. The recent T10 revamp may bring these folks back, cross your fingers.
3.) Those who /ooc and buff somewhere else. Typically i have seen them buffing in Stonehive. These people typically are just trying to avoid giving buffs to the AFK squatters parked in the nexus.

I havent seen anyone going into a deep dark corner for buffing....typically if they are informing people in ooc they are buffing, then they are doing it in a location that players can get to pretty easily.

Just to give some perspective...a lot of the more veteran players came up in an era where the buff bot was all they had unless they were running a buff class to give them something more special. As time has passed, the buffs a T10 character gives to a lower class, trivializes the lower content for the player progressing through that content. Many players do not want to be a party to trivializing content for new players. You can find several threads that get into peoples personal feelings on this but the short of it is that more often then not, you will run into people who will call you down for asking for buffs if you are ooc'ing for buffs repeatedly.....and sometimes even once.

Another part of it simply that people are buffing every hour (in time with their experience buff). Depending on what the person is doing, it can be very inconvenient to move your 18 boxes back into the nexus to buff....wait on a few stragglers to get there....buff.... then back into your instance and back to the location where you are. Some people do it, but not everyone. Now layer in the fact that 90% of the time someone asks for buffs in ooc, even if there was someone who would be willing to stop what they are doing to move somewhere to buff, you need to be lucky enough to be asking right before their 1 hour buff is going to wear off.

I played long ago when the buff bot was the best i could get in advancing, and advancing was hard. I took a significant break and came back to the current era. If i caught T9 buffs, i could have 3 hours of god mode for the lower content. I faced the same thing you are facing now. The way i went through my progression was to hope i was lucky enough catch someone buffing, if not i just grind it out the way it was meant to be played. Typically this only meant i had to pay more attention to healing the tank.....but i was playing the content the way it was meant to be played.

TLDR: you wont find much sympathy on the forums, if anything you will just catch shit for appearing to be entitled (im not saying you are, just saying thats how some people will react).

Rakharth

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 05:37:15 am »

So, what's the newbie to do?

Um play without them and learn your toons. High lv buffs are a bonus if you can get them. They are by no means needed to lv your toons. Not trying to be a real douche but most of us didnt have these uber buffs when we started especially xp buffs.

Chunka
Legend

Been gone so long I'm a newbie again!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 07:34:12 am »

Or do what the players who cast those buffs did: level up characters yourself who can cast such buffs, then cast them yourself. Even my reward clicky from my time as Loremaster only gave me the buffs I'd already earned.....I just got them in a one click stop.

"When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything — you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." R.A. Heinlein
Peign
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 09:43:41 am »

Rolling a Shaman, Cleric, and Druid will provide much more value than just "buffers".    Yes they will provide buffs which you pretty much need in end game.   However, all 3 of those classes provide great value to a group.   In fact those 3 classes are 3 of the best in game.   

If you plan on playing here long term you should definitely have those 3 classes on your team. 
JLPicard

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 06:17:07 pm »

I havent seen anyone going into a deep dark corner for buffing....typically if they are informing people in ooc they are buffing, then they are doing it in a location that players can get to pretty easily.
How do you get into a guild instance that's closed to invites to get buffs?
Brannyn

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 08:08:10 pm »

Nobody that does an OOC about buffs hides in a private instance when they throw the buffs out.
Peign
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 10:07:57 pm »

Nobody that does an OOC about buffs hides in a private instance when they throw the buffs out.

Do you even play here?
Rent Due
EZ Server Admin GM
Administrator
Master

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2017, 03:26:58 pm »

I will be MGB'ing all my buffs on July 18th 2017 at 03:00 EST

be sure and be at the Lower Guk zone entrance, one of them, idk which one yet

see ya there $$

Raygan
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2017, 08:50:00 pm »

that's not true. i have /ooc that i would be MGB in nexus in "x" minutes....and i was in nexus the whole time but was an instanced nexus.....and it was open...but screw it if people don't find it funny. i did.

Hate's Most Hateful Hater
Brannyn

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2017, 01:04:33 am »

that's not true. i have /ooc that i would be MGB in nexus in "x" minutes....and i was in nexus the whole time but was an instanced nexus.....and it was open...but screw it if people don't find it funny. i did.
I said private instance not an open instance
1everdude

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2017, 01:29:18 am »

I think now I'm gonna start oocing in a private instance every time I buff my toons, just to mess with people.
Noot

EZServerHowTo Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2017, 01:45:04 pm »

I don't do it every hour, but after a lot of backlash last year about nexus squatters, I made it a point to not buff in Stonehive or Nexus.  Then people started complaining that they had to move their boxes to the zone (which I also just stopped what I was doing to zone all 18 of my boxes to buff) I called out in /ooc.

So now I don't buff at the zone in spot anymore.  If you want buffs you're going to run, for instance I'll do Aviak Village in SK, Noobie Lift in Gfay, Dvinn tower in Crushbone, Kedge Keep hallways, etc.

As someone who buffs on the regular, I hear a lot from both sides.  I appreciated the buffs when they were given over the years, but that was few and far between.  The newer players are mostly appreciative and not pushy, but there is a vocal minority that is ruining it for the rest.  I stay mindful of that, but I agree it shouldn't be expected or handed out like STDs at a Juggalo gathering.

Edit: Also I've never seen anyone entice buffs from behind an instance that was inaccessible.   I always do it in public zones, and most others buff in public Stonehive.  Hell, I even made it a point to not buff in Wedding Chapel anymore because people complained their client didn't support it.  The only time I ever see someone buff from an instance is either as a joke or because they don't want to zone out of their instance to buff and they open it up to everyone.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 01:48:47 pm by Noot » Logged

Raygan
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2017, 04:58:59 pm »

I found it funny when I told everyone I was MGB in nexus (it was an open instance) but I didnt advertise that...then I said INCOMING! and by the time I zoned over to my tiered instance I got a crap ton of tells about not getting it. I said, "Well I cast them all." but was laughing my butt off because folks thought it was gonna be public nexus.....but I am a butthole like that and get my jollies hearing people whine  Grin

Hate's Most Hateful Hater
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 6124
  • Latest: Havicck
Stats
  • Total Posts: 64988
  • Total Topics: 5053