Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 03:29:59 am *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Guide for Paladins!  (Read 13078 times)
Uxt

Schizoid

View Profile
« on: April 02, 2010, 11:35:03 am »

I will change this guide soon to reflect the recent changes done to paladins.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 09:51:48 am by Uxt » Logged

Hunter
EZ Server GM
Legend

EZ Server GM

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 11:41:24 am »

I been meaning to look at Paladins in the near future. Stonewall was nice at end game, but your right, mid game needs some better stuff, including DPS. Let me know what suggestions you have to make Paladins more useful. Damage, Delay, Clickies, etc. Thanks!

Hunter - EZ Server GM
Supreme

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 12:06:25 pm »

I would include Paladin AND SKs in the discussion.

Personally i feel a 3k AE Aug for both classes are in order.

In addition i would make the paladin do a AE zero duration stun on process. The SK would do a 3k AE lifetap or 1k group lifetap>healing process.

Necosi

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 12:20:26 pm »

I would rather see SKs on the offensive side of the curve and Pallies on the defensive side.  Maybe some kind of "holy mending' that allows the Pally to mitigate damage better or regen at a rate relative to a HoT (either innate, or a instant-cast self-only 5 minute buff, like the Pally is praying before each battle).

I played a Pally for several years on live and never wanted to out-damage a warrior or SK.  I wanted to tank and heal better, and guard the group; that was my role.  DPS was for the Rangers, Rogues, Wizzys, Zerkers, etc. 

It's been several years since I played one so I'm out of touch and couldn't offer exact examples/ideas of what I'd like to see but, like I said, if you're going to look at the Pally/SK classes then I think each should be on opposing sides of tanking.

Siccwilly Darkmind - Barbarian Berserker
Snaekize - Iksar Beastlord
Dhuka Vhurl - Dwarf Paladin
Drat

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 01:06:09 pm »

I also agree in keeping the 2 knight classes different in the classic EQ way. SKs were always more on the dmg side and "selfish" type of spells where a pally was less dps but did more to guard and help the group with heals etc.

Will be really nice when these classes have a boost and more of a role. I am sure Hunter will make a nice balance for them.
Uxt

Schizoid

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 02:01:11 pm »

I support the 3k damage aug, and I'm hoping you mean that as a proc and not +3000 damage to the weapon (lol /win).

Femme (she's so sweet, awwww <3) was talking to me about 3k DD and 25 million aggro with the proc, but that's out of my league for understanding. I can't steal aggro from a 3.0 warrior with Dread Gaze, but I sure as heck can keep it from everyone else, plus the spell is literally spammable. I'm speaking generally for mid-game paladins, since I don't even have access to T3 or a high level oracle charm. I don't know how it fares in the endgame. If anyone has a T3 accessed paladin and can give better insight, please do so. :3

If I had to decide what gets "upgraded" first, it would be DPS. I mean, the heal proc is really nice, but when I pull 3+ mobs at once that can hit for several thousand, my damage output is so low that I rely on the proc to keep me up.

Supreme

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 12:07:43 am »

paladin flurry AA would be nice=).

Binou

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 03:05:32 am »

I'd prefer a "DPS or tanking" choice, like a 2h knight only serie of augs that add a DD proc OR a shield only serie of augs that add damage mitigation and a 1h knight only serie of augs that add AE taunt with a smaller DD. The important point is that those augs should start dropping before T3/T4 since atm i don't see the point of a pally/SK in T3, plain and simple. Outside of the War/Clr/Rng golden trio... there's pretty much no hope except for utility/buff classes.

Here's a rough sketch :

SK/Pally 2h only augs (Slot 4&8 )

Slap of the Knight I -> 1000 DD proc, drops in LDON 6
Slap of the Knight II -> 2000 DD proc, drops in Qvic
Slap of the Knight III -> 3000 DD proc, drops in T1
Slap of the Knight IV -> 4000 DD proc, drops in T2
Slap of the Knight V -> 5000 DD proc, drops in T3

SK/Pally shield only aug (Slot 8 )

Slap Resilience I -> 5% dmg mitigation, drops in LDON 6
Slap Resilience II -> 10% dmg mitigation, drops in Qvic
Slap Resilience III -> 15% dmg mitigation, drops in T1
Slap Resilience IV -> 20% dmg mitigation, drops in T2
Slap Resilience V -> 25% dmg mitigation, drops in T3

SK/Pally 1h only augs (Slot 4&8 )

Call for Slaps I -> 200 AE DD + 50k AE taunt, drops in LDON6
Call for Slaps II -> 400 AE DD + 75k AE taunt, drops in Qvic
Call for Slaps III -> 600 AE DD + 100k AE taunt, drops in T1
Call for Slaps IV -> 800 AE DD + 150k AE taunt, drops in T2
Call for Slaps V -> 1000 AE DD + 200k AE taunt, drops in T3

Up to 25% dmg mitigation on a shield would make shields really worthwhile for tanking, and knights would be able to tank more high end content without sending the stonewall rotation into uselessness.

Just my 2 coppers.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 03:07:59 am by Binou » Logged
OGFemme

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 12:14:37 pm »

This would mean creating new Spell ID's and New Items for Hunter...

This is EZ Server, and custom - so you can't really compare what classes did in Live to here.

For EZPaladins, a little more DPS via Proc on 3.0 or Aug Proc would be nice for them. 3k isn't terribly high, considering they only 1h or 2h.

Also, since Paladins are the second best tank ("PebbleWall" as we call it in OR) maybe a Custom Aggro Spell is due for them.

In T3 and even in T2/T1, a War with 4 V's or IV's Anger augs can generate a lot of Hate in a matter of minutes. So if Paladins (As well as Shadowknights) want to snatch agro, then they need something that can put them way up there "Johnny on the spot"/quickly for a group/raid. And the only way I see that happening is giving them a massive +Hate Custom Spell available via Lvl 70/69, easy to attain.

robpickles

Official Lurker of EZ Server

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 10:29:05 am »

Now I know why I have such a hard time playing my Pally.

Maybe a combo DD/Temp Invulnerabilty Proc Combo so you can Damage and shield at the same time when it goes off...Like a "Holy Flame" thing.

Rob Smiley
Tacticulous

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 10:59:28 am »

Now I know why I have such a hard time playing my Pally.

Maybe a combo DD/Temp Invulnerabilty Proc Combo so you can Damage and shield at the same time when it goes off...Like a "Holy Flame" thing.

Invulnerability is the last thing a tank needs.

Invulnerability = no aggro

I think you mean rune shield?
robpickles

Official Lurker of EZ Server

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 11:31:56 am »

Invulnerability is the last thing a tank needs.

Invulnerability = no aggro

I think you mean rune shield?

Thank you... Yes... that is what I meant!

Rob Smiley
Loktar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 01:43:48 pm »

I have a paladin alt.  I'd like to see him proc his heal spell more often.  Secondary tank, more group heals.  DPS and tanking are well behind my warrior.  I dont care about his DPS much.  Just make him proc like a 3.0 necro pet.  Probably need to reduce the heal amount.  Consistent and predictable heals and secondary tanking ability would be a good place for the paladin to be.  Maybe have his proc remove poisons too. 
Uxt

Schizoid

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 01:55:25 pm »

I have a paladin alt.  I'd like to see him proc his heal spell more often.  Secondary tank, more group heals.  DPS and tanking are well behind my warrior.  I dont care about his DPS much.  Just make him proc like a 3.0 necro pet.  Probably need to reduce the heal amount.  Consistent and predictable heals and secondary tanking ability would be a good place for the paladin to be.  Maybe have his proc remove poisons too. 

The reason necro pet procs so much is that it has dual wield and insane speed, making the group heal go off probably four times as much as a paladin. It would be interesting to compare the DPS and heal rate of the necro pet vs. a paladin.

Paladin 3.0 is supposed to cure poisons and diseases, but it's currently bugged. It removes the icon, but the effect will still be there (even after you zone). Happened to me a few times where I gated to nexus only to just fall over and die while selling to a vendor. Just keep Radiant Cure AA handy for now!

beanz

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2010, 10:05:32 pm »

Just spent 30 mins + fighting frog on Ldon level 3 WITH my pally AND cleric..

Frog was still at 98% after 30 mins so I just died and be done with it..I thought about going for the world record fight maybe 2 weeks or so..but I got thirsty.

..in other words...MORE DPS PLEASE!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 6125
  • Latest: farrvva
Stats
  • Total Posts: 64988
  • Total Topics: 5053