Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 12:01:24 pm *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: A way to use any armor for better graphics  (Read 6626 times)
Xiggie | Stone
Legend

View Profile
« on: January 21, 2014, 06:25:38 pm »

So I was wondering if it would be possible to turn our armor into augs and put aug slots on everything in the game. For instance the monk BP could be turned into an aug and then I could go find a bp that I like the graphics on and put my tier bp into that armor. It would create a lot of diversity in looks and in naming. I was going to suggest this before but the clickies we got from the armors always stopped me but now that augs carry their click over that is not an issue. We could even do the same thing with epics. I think this would add a hell of a lot of diversity.

Expletus

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 07:45:56 pm »

This isn't Rift where the armor can be mixed in matched. You honestly only have 2-3 armor gfx that players see. Not much customization I would say.

Keeze
Xiggie | Stone
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 08:27:22 pm »

I've never played Rift so I wasn't comparing to that or really any other game. I realize other games have more graphics and selection and such. I just think it would be a neat feature that would take next to no effort to put in. Even 2 or 3 would be better than one size fits all. In weapons though there is a hell of a lot more than 2 or 3.

anrath

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 10:06:24 pm »

Eagerly looking forward to having a rusty sword that hits for 200k  Tongue

Happyslappy-Warrior
Thewall-Pally
Healinman-Cleric
Creepingdeath-Necro
Anrath-Monk
Spinalbow-Ranger
Gannicus

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 11:13:43 pm »

I always thought monk chest should be robe look.
hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 11:14:38 pm »

So I was wondering if it would be possible to turn our armor into augs and put aug slots on everything in the game. For instance the monk BP could be turned into an aug and then I could go find a bp that I like the graphics on and put my tier bp into that armor. It would create a lot of diversity in looks and in naming. I was going to suggest this before but the clickies we got from the armors always stopped me but now that augs carry their click over that is not an issue. We could even do the same thing with epics. I think this would add a hell of a lot of diversity.

Would likely be simpler to add tier-based drops. Instead of monk t4, druid t4, etc etc....it would be several leather pieces (some caster based, some melee based, fewer favoring both).

Just a thought. It would be a gigantic undertaking as it would require a pretty large quest code adjustment.

-Hate

I'm so sorry Hunter, I tried...
Xiggie | Stone
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 11:25:35 pm »

I am confused about why it would be a gigantic undertaking? I would have thought just copy the current items, make the copy augs instead of wearable. Then make a duplicate of the recipe/quest to get the original armor with some slight modifications to turn your wearable armor/weapon into an aug. Maybe I don't understand the logistics but I thought most of it would be copy and paste and batch edits.

hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 12:55:02 am »

I am confused about why it would be a gigantic undertaking? I would have thought just copy the current items, make the copy augs instead of wearable. Then make a duplicate of the recipe/quest to get the original armor with some slight modifications to turn your wearable armor/weapon into an aug. Maybe I don't understand the logistics but I thought most of it would be copy and paste and batch edits.

If you were to allow the players to use the aug or the original item (again, t4 monk as my example punching bag), then you would need to literally double the code size for the "next-tier" checks. You would need to check each slot to ensure that it had an aug(s) matching ID XYZ (assuming augment checks can even be done through Perl) versus  actually checking to see if the original item is equipped in a non-aug form.

Simply copy/paste items isn't terribly hard. Copy pasting the quest code would be significantly more annoying as numerous pieces would need to be semi-unique.

On top of it, each class gets 8 unique items across ~14 unique classes. That gives us 112 items per tier. Currently, that would give us 1008 new aug needing to be created, assuming we started only at tier one. Admittedly, most of those items would be copy/paste excluding a few alterations (column edits). The sucky part is manually pairing up all the IDs to the actual tier progression checks so players are not giving "easy" access through oversight or simple fatigue (or conversely, unable to join because somewhere in those thousands of new lines, you skipped one item ID and threw the bulk of the tier's checks out of balance). When corrected, it isn't much of a problem anymore...it's just getting to that state that makes things....depressing.

Hope that helped a bit. :-)

-Hate

Xiggie | Stone
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 03:10:54 am »

That was a very good explanation, I appreciate it. Too bad there is not an easier way to do it. Going forward for the next tiers, would it be just as easy to make those next epics/armor augs instead of armor and weapons?

hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 10:39:12 am »

That was a very good explanation, I appreciate it. Too bad there is not an easier way to do it. Going forward for the next tiers, would it be just as easy to make those next epics/armor augs instead of armor and weapons?

Maybe once all the epics are simply class augs, it may be something to consider. It could also be easier to simply make all the tiered gear pieces simply dropped instead of augs or crafted. (More choices)

Just a thought though.

-Hate

Dinadas

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 12:16:48 pm »

What if there is a vendor that sells however many  "skins" armor that has no stats but different looks. Have all the stats come from the tier'd augs

Tiered armor becomes augs, that fit into the skins.

Could add skins at leisure.

I don't think that would double the code, just converts the armor stats into an augment.

It would be similar to how the epics are going to be.
Expletus

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 02:23:12 pm »

So plate could wear robes and junk?

Keeze
Dinadas

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 02:31:22 pm »

Sure why not, who cares?

Could be funny.
Adidis

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 04:39:25 pm »

Well you missed it. It does double the code because all the of level up checks require you being wearing all the pieces. You now have to reformat that code to again include all the augs as possibilities. This is why Xiggie just said for the next tier because at that point the code to ensure it all works will still be being formatted as opposed to already implemented.

The main issue with the "skins" is aug slots based on tier, but  The "skins" could be sold on vendors of that tier for change in number of aug slots. If we want a faster implementation of this though I'd suggest making a turn-in where we turn-in our armor and they give us the piece back plus an aug with same stats that we can just throw into one of the "skins". In this manner we actually still have all the pieces to make the level up check. The issue then is still making all the augs for each tier. I could be wrong on how this all works though and feel free to correct me on this one Hate.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 04:42:20 pm by Adidis1 » Logged
Dinadas

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2014, 08:26:05 pm »

Could rework the flags to be based on just epics of that tier minus t5 and qvic which already have the task.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 6126
  • Latest: Maww
Stats
  • Total Posts: 64991
  • Total Topics: 5054
  • Online Today: 207