Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 30, 2024, 12:03:44 pm *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Group Instances  (Read 13005 times)
Xiggie | Stone
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2011, 12:39:01 pm »

25k group instances and 50k guild instances. Double that for certain zones like all the ldons, hoh and pofire. Make instances expire on server reboot. If by chance keeping them at 7 days, the double those prices. And before people say, "oh i would never make instances if that was the case" I have 2 points. Number one, that is the main point, to discourage people from making so many instances that the server has to manage. Number two, people would still make instances because they did before when the prices were higher and only lasted 24 hours. I think these steps would go a long way toward stabilizing zones. Yesterday every time I zoned to a non static zone I crashed if no one was in it.

Strix

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2011, 04:57:10 pm »

An easy backwards (and yes i know its ugly) way to fix sleeping instances is to add a wake instance feature.  One that Forces reboot of the instance without wiping its timers. You could click it when your ready and wait Ex: 5 minutes to enter, so it has time to load. Giving the button a 15 minute refresh should keep people from spamming it and lagging the server further.
I've been pondering this a few days...Thoughts Anyone?

That sounds like an awesome idea Trogdorr!  No idea on the tech side of course - but it seems a simple "Refresh Guild Instance" line off the waypoints would save a lot of grief for folks. 

Discovered last night that there seems to be a 15 min cooling off period for toons that get lost trying to enter sleeping instances.  Not sure why this is the case but it has me wondering.... how long does it take to wake one?

Strix

Strix

Strix

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2011, 05:38:22 pm »

25k group instances and 50k guild instances. Double that for certain zones like all the ldons, hoh and pofire. Make instances expire on server reboot. If by chance keeping them at 7 days, the double those prices.

This is good Xiggy.

I don't know - I'm almost of the mind that the Group Instances could go completely. 

*Cue opening the can of worms now*

I understand that they're good for players who aren't guilded - and for players in guilds who want to PL or help non-guilded players.  I also understand the benefit of being able to have your own private instance whenever you want one.   I get that.

So why make the suggestion to remove them?

As Xiggy suggests above - it appears the server is struggling to maintain all the instances players are demanding at this point in time.  Simply put - the system does not appear to be coping.  Raising the price will deter folks from using these instances for a period of time - but, as we've seen in the past, our player base is very resourceful in acquiring things (like plat) and this will only serve as a short term solution.  In removing the group instances we don't loose our ability to create instances - we just reduce the amount of ad-hoc instances being created (thus freeing up system resources and hopefully stabilising the system).

Strix

Undeterred

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2012, 09:26:15 pm »

I read this and started thinking of a solution... can someone point me to where the developer may see it....
But to answer your question, instances are populated by a group ID. The Group ID is created on the formation of a group to be tracked in the database. Once the group is disbanded the instance in itself essentially is still there but when you go back to the Waypoint it will not recognize you have a Group Instance because you no longer have a Group ID, or the same ID as when you got your instance in the first place. So if you create another group, you most likely won't have the same ID and essentially the Waypoint will not be able to find your last instance because your ID has changed. So as long as you stay in the same group and your group does not disbands you will not have a problem with Group instances.

MY thought would be if a toon is still in the zone... they could summon the waypoint and have an option "Refresh group ID" ... such that it can now link the particular instance with the new group ID....
Gilthanas

EZ > EQ Live

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2012, 08:16:23 am »

These don't seem to be the same as you've suggested.  As Chunk pointed out - you can now camp out of an instance and it remains for all the members of the group. 

There is definitely a discrepancy among various players about their experience with this. Some people seem to always be able to get back into their instances, whereas others cannot. I personally am extremely lucky if my instance comes back after logging out, disbanding, or disconnecting.

I'm just curious why there is this discrepancy. Perhaps the game client matters? I'm using UF. I also always make the same character my group leader, and that character always creates the instance (on somebody random's waypoint, however).
Undeterred

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2012, 10:46:18 am »

I found Akkadius's explanation of game mechanics perfect...

If you log out in the instance you're fine... when you log back in, if your 3-day timer has not expired. You're in the Instanced...

The problem arises if you disband, logout, change members, the group ID changes, and your link to that zone disappears. So if you zone out for whatever reason you cannot enter via waypoint... Rez will always work.

As it was stated Hunter did not create this code, I was wondering if the developer can look at the code again, and create some sort of "Refresh link" prompt on the waypoint for a member still in the instance to click and all current members of the group would be repointed to that particular instance.

Kwai

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2012, 05:26:01 pm »

Here is a work around that I use....

When you camp multiple toons in a group instance bring two of them to char select.  Push one... wait a couple of secs and push the other. The first toon (for some reason) will not get in, but the second (and 3rd... etc..) does.  Kill the first client once you load in a toon and then try again.  Everyone one loads after the first successful load.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 65023
  • Total Topics: 5057
  • Online Today: 95
  • Online Ever: 8678
  • (December 19, 2022, 02:32:09 pm)