Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 27, 2024, 04:34:07 pm *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Rogue weapons and source code  (Read 6757 times)
Brokyn

Artificial intelligence beats real stupidity

View Profile
« on: December 29, 2012, 05:39:28 pm »

While we have some down time I figured I would ask this.  It's obviously not a priority with all the other things going on now...

My rogue got the Halloween death's dagger IV with the 15k damage.  If he equips his 6.0 the crit damage from the death's dagger IV is too high for the variable that holds damage, and it rolls over to be very small damage instead of very large damage.

I realize this is probably too big an item to fixed just for EZ, but was wondering if we could brainstorm to come up with ideas?

I would love to be able to equip my best DPS gear all at once.  Unfortunately at the current time I have to gear down a bit to keep dps up.

We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?
Felony

Trump it

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 05:40:46 pm »

How much do you max backstab for without clicking 6.0?
Might be a simple fix in the source.

If we judged them by the content of their character, they'd be begging us to judge them by the color of their skin
Solbash

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 05:41:05 pm »

The halloween daggers are getting nerfed once he releases T7. He said he was just going to let people enjoy the 15k bs damage until then. Once he lowers it, you should be able to rock both and have decent dps from the rogue again.
Hunter
EZ Server GM
Legend

EZ Server GM

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 05:54:01 pm »

I need some honest quality feedback on the DPS for each of the Halloween weapons so I can tweak them to be more reasonable. By reasonable I mean just a small step above a max Strike Aug weapon currently available to T7 players.

So if a T7 player with 2 swords fully Augged can put out 80k then I'd probably allow Halloween Weapons to be around 100-125k DPS. Etc.

Again, I don't know the numbers yet, so it depends. I do want them to be good weapons.

Hunter - EZ Server GM
Felony

Trump it

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 06:02:19 pm »

Dont have a rogue dagger which is what this thread is about but as far as I can tell in the source the max damage is sint32 and no math I come up with breaks the max value for a sint32 so no idea why its rolling over.

If we judged them by the content of their character, they'd be begging us to judge them by the color of their skin
cerwin

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 06:07:09 pm »

I need some honest quality feedback on the DPS for each of the Halloween weapons so I can tweak them to be more reasonable. By reasonable I mean just a small step above a max Strike Aug weapon currently available to T7 players.

So if a T7 player with 2 swords fully Augged can put out 80k then I'd probably allow Halloween Weapons to be around 100-125k DPS. Etc.

Again, I don't know the numbers yet, so it depends. I do want them to be good weapons.

I have a 2h halloween sword on my sk, but I would never use it because of the loss of epic lifetap. Pallies probably in the same boat.
lerxst2112

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 06:41:54 pm »

Dont have a rogue dagger which is what this thread is about but as far as I can tell in the source the max damage is sint32 and no math I come up with breaks the max value for a sint32 so no idea why its rolling over.

Well, if you look at the code you'll see the formulas were written to avoid any floating point calculations.  Because of that, the numbers are often multiplied by 1000, 10000, or more to allow for calculating percentage based bonuses and then divided back down.  The overflow is during one of those intermediate steps.

Avoiding floating point calculations was once a useful optimization, but it hasn't been so for many years and the formulas could be simplified quite a bit without that, but they work as-is and don't overflow on a legit server so there's no real reason for anyone to change them in the base emu code ad risk breaking something.
Griz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 06:42:45 pm »

80k? That's less than what a T4 mage pet does :p
Fugitive
Legend

TROLL KING

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 06:50:35 pm »

he was just throwing example numbers out.. sheessh calm down

Quoted for the Brotherhood of Warriors
"I want my wizard to cast Fugitives instead of fireballs.
We can't always get what we want. ;-)"
-Hate"
Felony

Trump it

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 08:29:01 pm »

Well, if you look at the code you'll see the formulas were written to avoid any floating point calculations.  Because of that, the numbers are often multiplied by 1000, 10000, or more to allow for calculating percentage based bonuses and then divided back down.  The overflow is during one of those intermediate steps.

Avoiding floating point calculations was once a useful optimization, but it hasn't been so for many years and the formulas could be simplified quite a bit without that, but they work as-is and don't overflow on a legit server so there's no real reason for anyone to change them in the base emu code ad risk breaking something.

Yeah I noticed some of the math was kind of silly.

Gannicus

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 09:34:31 pm »

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 6149
  • Latest: Acaelis
Stats
  • Total Posts: 65081
  • Total Topics: 5061
  • Online Today: 310