Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 05, 2024, 07:04:21 am *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: making my first box group  (Read 7519 times)
Smasht

View Profile
« on: July 01, 2013, 12:45:38 pm »

I am making a 6 man group and I just wanted some insight on whether I picked to right classes and which classes I should prioritize.  My main is a warrior, 4.0 with UC, then I have 2 paladins, cleric, necro, monk and I have a 4.0 shaman I was gonna drag along to buff.  Is this a good set up?  Overkill on heals?  too low on DPS?  Should shaman replace someone in the groups?  Also who should I UC second/third/fourth/etc.  Thank you.
Gilthanas

EZ > EQ Live

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 01:23:56 pm »

That's basically what I do, except instead of necro I have another melee (just personal preference). Definitely UC a paladin next. If you're having trouble  healing after that, UC the cleric. UC monk as soon as you are good on heals. A UC monk with max strikes is wonderful.

I'd rather be overkill on heals than sweating bullets about potentially dying any day. With 2 paladins and a cleric, I was able to get to the final boss in T6 within a week of getting there. Would have been much hard with only 2 healers.

In an ideal world, I'd probably run a second group of 6 with a pally and 5 more monks.
Griz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 07:24:35 pm »

Replace a paladin with a zerker and the necro with a bard.
Rageful

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 12:01:42 am »

I don't fancy paladins much, I use druid instead

also, what Griz said
Chunka
Legend

Been gone so long I'm a newbie again!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 09:15:36 am »

When I run 6 I typically run war/pal/sham/chanter/zerk x 2. I can also swap out the chanter for a bard if I need to, but the chanter has lately been a favorite (dots, nukes, pet all do a surprising amount of damage....and GoA on one of the zerks is pretty ugly). If I run 12 I typically do war/pal/sham/bard/chanter/bst (all pets I might run in 1 group) and zerk x3/clr/monk/ranger in 2nd group. I'm still a T5 gimp, but at the moment I have zero issues with heals with this setup, in either group.

I like running shammy instead of cleric for healer. Maybe that will change later, and I have 2 clerics with oracle 50 that can be pulled up...but shammy heals very well. Druid is also a damned good healer....maybe better than a cleric or shammy overall. But, again, its a matter of preference.

"When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything — you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." R.A. Heinlein
Smasht

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 09:38:06 am »

I made my shammy years ago just for the 4.0 buff and kraken so I never really thought of using him as healer til recently.  What heal do you use for a shaman and where do I get it?
Felony

Trump it

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 09:51:14 am »

Replace a paladin with a zerker and the necro with a bard.
I don't fancy paladins much, I use druid instead

also, what Griz said

Both somewhat valid but also bad. Replace the necro yes but dont replace a paladin, add a druid and zerker to what will become the second group. See druids might be able to heal now but paladins still fucking CURE your group. You'll most likely end up with 2 groups and want a paladin in both.

If we judged them by the content of their character, they'd be begging us to judge them by the color of their skin
Chunka
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 10:57:11 am »

What heal do you use for a shaman and where do I get it?

Acquittal of the Tribunal is the first decent single heal a shammy gets. Drops in T2. Breath of Nature II is a very good dru/shm group heal, drops in HoH. Acquittal of the Tribunal II is a T6 spell.

"When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything — you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." R.A. Heinlein
grim2594

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 08:18:54 pm »

Warrior, Cleric, Rogue, Ranger, Monk and Berzerker ... or another DPS type + support (Bard for haste, ect, but you can change it up to find what you like the best).

This is one of the best combinations as it requires minimal effort. Once you pick caster classes then you are going to notice that you have to wait for mana, as well as spend a lot of time doing nukes, dots, and other annoying tasks. My combination will only halt if the cleric runs out of mana... (Does that ever happen?! lol)

Personally, I like to be at a steady pace...

Just my two cents. Smiley
Chunka
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 09:24:21 pm »

A pally makes a massive dif in a group. Casters can do very well, if set up right, and mana isnt an issue at all if you have a bard in group, or know how to set up mq2 macros for self regen on mana (depending on classes).

For 6 box I love my war/pal/sham/bard/zerk/zerk team. Can pull 6 at a time in T6 with that combo without issue, and in T5 gear.

Kovou

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 05:23:25 am »

Basicly what all these ppl are saying is play what you want, play what works fro you, tweek it as you go you'll figure out how you want everything to look sooner or later
Chunka
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 09:44:03 am »

^

Smasht

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2013, 02:40:08 pm »

updating this thread.  I have dropped the necro and cleric in favor of a shaman and zerker.  I still have the cleric and also have a bard, both waiting to see if i'll need them to swap out.  I kind of just want to run 6, not 12 or 18 or whatever.  So my questions before I go UCing all these guys is can a group consisting of a war/pal/pal/shm/ber/mnk do T5 well?  I have UC on war, i am working on UC on pal and monk now, and aiming at 41 sorc on zerker and 41 oracle on 2nd pal, not sure on shaman.

Is this an optimal setup or should I rework this group?  What should I swap out and why aside from personal preference.   Also should I just aim to UC zerker and 2nd pal before tackling T5 to avoid rezzing every pull and what in that world should I do with shaman charm.  I feel like I might be micro managing a bit but I have limited time to play between work and kids so I just want to be as efficient as i can.  Sorry for the wall of questions but any advice is appreciated as long as you elaborate a little as to why.
hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2013, 02:45:15 pm »

updating this thread.  I have dropped the necro and cleric in favor of a shaman and zerker.  I still have the cleric and also have a bard, both waiting to see if i'll need them to swap out.  I kind of just want to run 6, not 12 or 18 or whatever.  So my questions before I go UCing all these guys is can a group consisting of a war/pal/pal/shm/ber/mnk do T5 well?  I have UC on war, i am working on UC on pal and monk now, and aiming at 41 sorc on zerker and 41 oracle on 2nd pal, not sure on shaman.

Is this an optimal setup or should I rework this group?  What should I swap out and why aside from personal preference.   Also should I just aim to UC zerker and 2nd pal before tackling T5 to avoid rezzing every pull and what in that world should I do with shaman charm.  I feel like I might be micro managing a bit but I have limited time to play between work and kids so I just want to be as efficient as i can.  Sorry for the wall of questions but any advice is appreciated as long as you elaborate a little as to why.

I wouldn't see any issue honestly. Shaman is a healer/debuffer, so I say Oracle charm. The shaman epic proc (melee) will further lower a mob's damage, which serves a ghetto form of stonewall.

-Hate

I'm so sorry Hunter, I tried...
Chunka
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2013, 03:51:15 pm »

Maybe consider dropping a pally for a bard, or even chanter. Pal/shm duo heals fine even in T6. We'll see about T7 and 8 Cheesy If neither bard or chanter appeal to you, perhaps a 2nd zerk.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 65024
  • Total Topics: 5058
  • Online Today: 246
  • Online Ever: 8678
  • (December 19, 2022, 02:32:09 pm)