Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 07, 2024, 02:56:51 pm *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Botting Accounts Suspended 06-11-14  (Read 6321 times)
hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« on: June 11, 2014, 05:27:44 pm »

Botting Accounts Suspended

Today, 4 bots were suspended for a week. Thousands of Fire/Water/Ice/Earth Crystals, ~1500 Dragon Ore, about two dozen Rainbow Crystals (varying), and thousands of PoD augment nonsense were all deleted from bots. Ring of the Ages and Mask of Experience were halved as well.

Go Bots Go!

-Hate

I'm so sorry Hunter, I tried...
Nexxel

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 11:59:44 pm »

Another one bites the dust mm mm mm another one bites the  dust and another one gone, and another one gone .......  Grin
Expletus

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 10:17:36 am »

halved!? Delete that shit start from zero.

Keeze
Medic

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 07:01:04 am »

I have to ask the dumb question.

If we keep seeing botters, is the system we have for achievement just flawed in that it take hours and hours of grinding in the same zone killing the same mob to accomplish the end goal of say a UW?

I assume that changing how the UW is created from a grind/quest perspective is mechanically far more difficult then I imagine it in my head but I feel like you have to go out of your way to stop cheaters which means less time with Love or here enjoying yourself or making positive changes to the game.

Just a thought.

Krunkley, Gimble and Co.
Ponzi

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 08:23:43 am »

That's certainly a valid point.

Most of your botting action (that we know about) seems to take place in Jaggedpine Forest, Postorms (T1 mainly), and Anguish.

Jaggedpine and T1 require absolutely zero skill. A monkey (re:bot) punching buttons will yield nearly the same results as a skilled player maneuvering the keyboard. Its not surprising those are the choices for automation.. Hell if i could come back from a long day at work and notice one of my froggy clerics churned out 20 SLS, thats 5mil of value from something that would have been 8mil of value if i called in sick that day and 2boxed my paladins all over jaggedpine raining zealous smite all over those florescent bastards. So using my completely made up benchmark, the fact that a program running in the background is 62.5% as efficient as me doing all the dirty work instead of seeing sunshine and bathing regularly and even potentially eating something, it's tempting..... so tempting. I'd never do it, but to a degree i recognize the lure of those who do.

Anguish once over-geared would function relatively the same i'd imagine. It'd be an empti victory, but a victory nonetheless to sleep for 8 hours and log back in to one of my dps classes 1/2 way done with a ucV2.

Obviously Hate is incredibly harsh on botters, and we applaud him for that. But you have to realize the lure is there and the other end of the fence is script programs like Trevius + Kayen had on Storm Haven where progression stuff was major events that required 4+ active human beings slamming macros and responding to triggers, etc. It was a ton of work to play/progress on there, and you needed 3+ buddies on your same time schedule to make raiding type content happen in the course of your playtime. We're a relatively casual player base, so grind content makes more sense than content that requires co-ordinating a batphone and filing for divorce.

Making the content boring allows us a lot more freedoms, realize that! And if UW required 500,000 orc scalps from crushnbone, 500k lion pelts from the karanas, and 500k snake fangs from Ecommons.. Thats still bottable content. So the problem with botting never truly goes away. All we can really do is be vigilant and email suspicious behavior and protect the server economy in the end, i guess.

Ponzi Scheme - Monk
Kanyon - Paladin
Kiwis - Warrior
Avacado - Cleric
Claytin

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 11:58:20 am »

I wouldn't call Hate harsh on botters, I think most would like to see an even harsher penalty. It also must not be harsh enough if we keep seeing these douchebags doing it. UW is an awesome weapon because it sucks to get. If you want to cheat to do what others put in the time and effort for then be prepared to face the consequences. UW was never made for the "casual" player anyway but instead intended for an elite few to be able to achieve. The lure is there for me to rob a bank for easy money but I'd be a low life PoS(not Plane of Storms) if I did and would deserve prison time for it.
Chunka
Legend

Been gone so long I'm a newbie again!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 01:09:24 pm »

But the problem is that today's entitlement minded player base (which seems to be the rule rather than the exception anymore, even here) see's top end gear as something they should be able to get with casual play times and casual skill. Put up the shiny and the genuine players put in the time, effort and endurance to get the item, and revel in the achievement...then the hypercasual masses piss, moan and whine because they dont get it handed to them. And this is exactly the type person that makes these botters not only possible, but successful.

So far management here has been pretty good about laughing at these people and telling them politely to go perform an anatomically improbable act. Lets hope it stays that way.

"When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything — you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." R.A. Heinlein
hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 01:10:18 pm »

I wouldn't call Hate harsh on botters, I think most would like to see an even harsher penalty. It also must not be harsh enough if we keep seeing these douchebags doing it. UW is an awesome weapon because it sucks to get. If you want to cheat to do what others put in the time and effort for then be prepared to face the consequences. UW was never made for the "casual" player anyway but instead intended for an elite few to be able to achieve. The lure is there for me to rob a bank for easy money but I'd be a low life PoS(not Plane of Storms) if I did and would deserve prison time for it.

The bit in red: Everyone should be allowed one chance to redeem themselves. Caught once, item ranks crucified and set back severely. Caught second time, banned.

-Hate

I'm so sorry Hunter, I tried...
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 65024
  • Total Topics: 5058
  • Online Today: 97