Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 05:25:58 pm *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Questions About Spells! Help Me!  (Read 13845 times)
Griz

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2012, 02:17:26 pm »

The poison used by the bosses in plane of Sky (I think it's just called Deadly Poison?) is still 99 poison counters. Can it get reduced down to 18 or something more reasonable? Takes 5 casts of Disinfecting Aura for my shaman to remove it, and then it's pretty much recast again by then. He has 150k hp with a shaman 4.0 click, and it is impossible for him to even remove it from himself

Also, is there any possibility the radii of such spells (root and poison) could get reduced to something more sane, like 200 yards?  Right now, if I'm fighting on the spawn point in PoSky, the AoEs still hit people on the extreme far edge of the island.

Edit: Looked at the spell file, spell ID for the poison looks like 11112
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 02:32:15 pm by Griz » Logged
Griz

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2012, 02:40:41 pm »

Just Ported my shaman down to kraken my group while doing some T4, hit kraken and immediately bolted for the teleport pad to try and get away. Got hit with both root and the poison. Cured the poison and root with radiant cure, then healed myself while running the rest of the way to the pad (Acquittal of the Tribunal is only like 11k base). When I ported back up, I was alternating acquittal of the tribunal and disinfecting aura (which has a 2.5s cast), and purple clubbed before managing to finally remove it.

Alt tabbed back to my SK who had been rooted and punted out of melee range, and my cleric/paladin were out of range of radiant cure. Thankfully my loladin had aggro on the boss/adds, and after about 30 manastone clicks I was able to get back in the fight.

Interesting gameplay, this is.
Hunter
EZ Server GM
Legend

EZ Server GM

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2012, 03:50:05 pm »

Glad you enjoyed it! Smiley

Hunter - EZ Server GM
Griz

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2012, 04:17:46 pm »

The irony is that if the shadoo/tribunal spells actually worked, this would be less of a problem!
hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2012, 10:13:40 pm »

The irony is that if the shadoo/tribunal spells actually worked, this would be less of a problem!

Well if you know anything about C++ and have the time to sit down and add in the sections for it, by all means, please do so. Otherwise, I will do it when I have ~4h to burn in one sitting.

-Hate

I'm so sorry Hunter, I tried...
Griz

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2012, 10:30:53 pm »

Sorry, that sounded more condescending than I intended, I was just making a joke about how the poison sucks. I appreciate all the work you've done.
hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2012, 11:46:33 pm »

Hehe I know Griz, don't worry. Just being a dick. :-D

-Hate

Griz

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2012, 01:55:13 pm »

The thing is, the other spells used by the T3/T4 bosses are so weak that they barely matter. I think one of them is a rain that does like 5000 damage x3. What is the point of that? Same for the root. All the root does is make it obnoxious to try and loot after you win. It doesn't prevent you from actually fighting the boss, because nothing about the fights actually requires mobility. I'd much rather see the poison get toned way down and the other spells super buffed. Make the fights themselves challenging, not the cleanup afterwards.

Anyways, I'm not expecting any of this, but here are some suggested fixes:

Triple the damage done by the following spells:

Minor Dragon Fire
Minor Dragon Frost
Minor Dragon Shock
Major Dragon Fire
Major Dragon Frost
Major Dragon Shock
NPC Winds of Gelid
NPC Circle of Fire
NPC Explode
NPC Lightning Storm
NPC Winds of Gelid II
NPC Circle of Fire II
NPC Explode II
NPC Lightning Storm II

Then reduce the counters on Deadly Poison (spell ID 11112) to 16, and the durations of all npc poisons to 1 minute. They are cast enough on boss fights that they will be constantly up if not cured even with 1 min duration, but it makes actually healing through them after a fight viable instead of frantically trying to unroot and cure people.

The Minor versions of these spells only hit for 3k, once. Minor Dragon Poison ticks for 3k every 6 seconds for 10 minutes. There is a huge disparity in damage of these abilities. Also, the NPC disease cloud damage is so hilariously anemic that anyone with a 3.0 will outregen it. I think

I can't speak for the balance of the anguish spells, but it looks like some of the aoes hit for like 100k which isn't too bad, though that's only 65k with max spellshield, so maybe they should be buffed a bit also.

Also, I'd like to see maybe a 500k rune effect put on NPC True Name, so you can break it by damaging the person, Obviously this would need to be tuned.

Lastly, I saw an NPC Theft of Thought spell in the spell file. I think this is an interesting mechanic, but I think it would be cool if a boss drained your mana and killing the adds triggered an AoE that restored it. It would make you think about when you actually need to kill them.

The entire point is to make fighting bosses fun. Killing a boss and then having to perform all this maintenence afterwards is not fun. I'm guessing there is no way any sort of procced debuff with counters can ever be challenging with how spammy the proc curing is, which is why I suggested removing counters from holy knight strike entirely as it's just an arms race between nastier debuffs and the speed at which they can be removed by an autoattacking paladin.

Let it be said that I think that debuffs have their place, I just think that it's stupid that the way they are currently implemented, they are extremely trivial when actually fighting, and obnoxious when the fight is over. I think any change that makes fighting the bosses not be an autoattack slugfest is a good one. Making players react to things that are happening when fighting is good, and until we can get some of the debuffs more in check, there isn't really room to implement such things.

As a final thought, how well do the "Trigger on fade" spells work on EMU? There are a lot of creative things that can be done with these to make some interesting encounters/abilities.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 02:06:34 pm by Griz » Logged
Griz

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2012, 02:09:27 pm »

As much as we all hate the root mobs have, an one way to make it an interesting mechanic for a boss fight (granted I dunno how T7 is gonna be, it would work in a more structured zone like anguish or tacvi but less so in an open zone like T1/T2/Abyss) is to have a boss that roots, but then have its spawn permarooted adds that you need to  run over to and kill, because they nuke your group while they are alive. Presto, annoying mechanic made interesting. Though I'm not sure how this couldn't be cheesed with the current unrootable pets.
marxist

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2012, 02:52:39 pm »

Why are we still talking about buffing content that is two tiers behind end game? It isn't going to get more entertaining to kill and we could be coming up with ideas for t7. The zone everyone seems to enjoy the most (abyss) has some of the easiest bosses....its just a grind to spawn them.  The root is annoying and does not accomplish much else....but why try to trade abilities that are annoying for something that will hurt newer players?
Griz

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2012, 03:47:38 pm »

I'm not. My point is the poison is the only ability the bosses have that is actually threatening, and it is trivialized by the spam curing via holy knight strike procs. I think the challenge should be shifted away from the 10 minute 300 yard unresistable dots, that's all.
marxist

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2012, 04:27:24 pm »

Challenge is the grind.
hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2012, 04:50:56 pm »

This was a few simple questions...the thread derailed so hard. Stop replying to this thread. Going to attempt to close it.

-Hate

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 6149
  • Latest: Acaelis
Stats
  • Total Posts: 65081