Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 30, 2024, 03:19:07 pm *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Thanks & Salutations!  (Read 9743 times)
sowilorune

View Profile
« on: February 21, 2011, 05:53:01 pm »

First, I'd like to thank everyone who has put so much time and effort into this community to make it what it is today.   I cannot believe that it took me this long to find out about this great project.

Back in 2001, I played EQ on Lanys' and did a fair share of high end raiding as a WAR.  I've missed the old mobs for years.  I've had to take a sabbatical from work for health reasons (months of *extreme* stress and grueling hours) and was told to relax for a while.  Nothing sounds more relaxing than earning an epic 1.0 in two clicks and proceeding to bring pain upon all those old mobs that made my life so interesting back in the day. 

I'll be getting a copy of SoF  and installing it later this week.  I hope it will run on my laptop (laptop is little less than a year old, but has a GPU - Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family: passes the can you run it website test).  If it can't, I'll get my desk top running again.

If anyone that used to roll on Lanys played here, send me a message or look for me in game.  Not sure what screen name I will use yet, lol.

Anyhow, take it easy and enjoy nostalgia. 
Everwes

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 07:38:46 pm »

This is a perfect server to go back and rock the old world.  There is a 10k instance for dragonhorn keep and a well outfitted toon can solo it.  Welcome back to eq!
sowilorune

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 08:56:48 pm »

Thanks for the welcome.  I look forward to making Lower Guk, Sebilis, and Upper Guk pay.  Froglocks and I have a long and nasty history.
Reed
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 09:37:48 pm »

Luckily for you, in order to progress you have to go into ALL of those zones (see ref: Fighter's Guild Quest and Caster's Guild Quest)

If you see me online, send a tell. I'll be more than happy to let ya tag along for things you need to get done (Qvic, Tacvi, etc..). Next week, or whenever im not being slave driven, i'm planning on making a few more boxes. Apparently im missing and Enc, Wiz, 2nd Monk, and some others... and have alot of t1/t2 stuff rotting. Figure may as well kill two birds that way. More than welcome to come and get what you may need as well.

sowilorune

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 02:03:09 am »

Luckily for you, in order to progress you have to go into ALL of those zones (see ref: Fighter's Guild Quest and Caster's Guild Quest)

If you see me online, send a tell. I'll be more than happy to let ya tag along for things you need to get done (Qvic, Tacvi, etc..). Next week, or whenever im not being slave driven, i'm planning on making a few more boxes. Apparently im missing and Enc, Wiz, 2nd Monk, and some others... and have alot of t1/t2 stuff rotting. Figure may as well kill two birds that way. More than welcome to come and get what you may need as well.

Thank you for the warm welcome and help.  It's much appreciated from a crusty old pre-Luclin veteran like me.  I'm trying to research and discover as much as I can on my own, but have not been able to answer a few big questions:

1.  How much beef does your comp need to have to handle 2-4 boxing?  I understand that boxing is almost required at times to progress.  Any idea of minimum specs? 

2.  How often are the old world raid bosses up for slaughter?  I read that they are on standard world timers -- how often do they get smacked into the ground? 

I'm especially itching to kill Trakanon, Yelinak, NToV, and countless others.

Thanks again for the warm welcome! 
Storm

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 03:48:17 am »

The old world bosses are killed within seconds by even a moderately geared character on EZ.  Raping them is satisfying but quickly gets old because there's zero challenge to it.

Which leads me to think... Maybe the fabled version of the old world bosses could be made tougher (on par with T3 or T4 bosses, or Shadow, or even MCP maybe) ?  With some worthy loot added (they could drop things like cyan stones or bags of plat (big ones!) or even augment components, or stuff like T3-T4 spells...

sowilorune

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 04:18:14 am »

After 3 months of 80+ hour weeks, stomping in the face of mobs that cost me hundreds of hours seems like a fitting way to relax, =P. 

Man, I really hope this laptop can run the game.  Fixing up the desk top would be such a pain...
Fabdibikya

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 05:02:37 am »

Great idea about the fableds, except for one small detail:

Many of those mobs drop items needed for FG/CG quest. The last thing you want to find out as you are camping Nagafen, which you can normally solo at 70 with regular epic or 1.5, that Fabled Nagafen spawns which needs 6 full t2 people with 3.0's or higher.

Woops!

Clevitsj, Hipster Enchantress Extraordinaire
(I WAS AN ENCHANTER BEFORE THEY WERE COOL)
Storm

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 05:15:05 am »

Just don't alter the fableds that are PH's for FG/CG mobs... do it for Kael, Ntov, etc... Smiley
Kreemo

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 05:29:21 am »

I play on a base model Dell laptop that is about 1 year old and I can play comfortably.

I run my main on normal settings and have a seperate folder for my boxes as described in the thread 'ways to help you box' which I am sure you will find easily enough.

I normally run 3 or 4 toons and can push it to 5 or maybe 6 at a push for a short while which isn't bad considering I wasn't expecting to use the laptop for any gaming when I bought it.

You should be able to play 4 or 5 easily with yours if you set up that extra folder with all the settings turned low/off.

Krusha

Kreemo - monk
Krusha - warrior
Grimshaw - pally
Vern - cleric
sowilorune

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 10:52:14 am »

Whew, fabled?  My crusty old butt has a lot of stuff to come up to speed on, lol.  Who ever thought they'd brand new mobs by making random high level spawns of old world mobs. 

Kreemo, if you don't mind me asking, what are the exact specs of your laptop?  Specifically, do you know the video card/display chip it uses? 

I tried to send you a PM, but not sure if it sent through.   You've made my day with that information though!

I'm thinking about boxing a warrior, cleric, and monk at the moment if my laptop can handle it. 

Also tempted to do maybe an SK, cleric, and warrior... decisions, decisions....

...or maybe a monk, cleric, SK? 

Arrrrrgggghhhh.....

Reed
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 11:13:37 am »

Should consider Paladin, Cleric, Monk

group heals x2 and considerable DPS

Nebbeny

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 12:20:27 pm »

As it stands, i feel a cleric can certainly keep a group alive on their own, but having a pally will make it much easier as they provide heals inbetween cleric cool downs.  If you only intend to box 3,  the dps might be lacking with pally cleric monk, as both monk and pally now depend on augs to dps alone rather than relying on the pally proc.  A warrior will be cheap dps to start with (once you hit T1/2 and get anger augs) but will be surpassed by the time you can afford augs.

May be worth swapping the monk out for something that can dps without the augs, like a pet class, higher maintenance, and you'll need to make sure the tank positions mobs correctly so the pet doesn't attack the front and get slaughtered, but may help you get up and running quicker.

Also if you have a pally tanking, you can hand the 2H version of your epic in to the epic vendor, and get a 1H version back, allowing you to equip a shield, which give a hefty chunk of AC since they're not penalized by mechanics.
sowilorune

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 12:55:03 pm »

Haha, it's going to be so much fun learning how to box.  Hell, back in the day, you were lucky if you could get EQ to run in a window without your comp blowing up in your face.

Thanks for the suggestions!  I'll see how many windows my laptop can run and adjust accordingly.  I've already read the multi-boxing thread, and will probably use ISBoxer while following the tips. 

I've read about paladins, and their subsequent nerfs, and might be interested in playing one if I can manage 4 boxing.

I'm kind of stuck on warrior, monk, and cleric for old-times reasons; my best friends in EQ (who I grouped with 90% of the time) played a monk and cleric for their mains. 

...In my personal experience, Paladins were always the ones that managed to beat me on loot rolls, horde all the DKP up, train the raid, cause extreme guild drama, and engage in other forms of special behavior [I suspect the Firey Avenger and 'TEH HERO' complex flavored the disposition of most paladins back in the day].  Bad memories of paladins in general, lol.   

What classes(es) or combos are good for soloing old world content (pre-PoP specifically)?

Oh god, I can't wait.  Froglocks must be exterminated with extreme and brutal prejudice. 
Nebbeny

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 01:10:34 pm »

I hearby support your quest to exterminate froglocks!  As far as soloing the old world content, as soon as you get your epics upgraded a few times, no class should have issues with old world (though try to use a dps class, rather than a healer since they kill way too slowly) so the monk would probably do.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 65023
  • Total Topics: 5057
  • Online Today: 95
  • Online Ever: 8678
  • (December 19, 2022, 02:32:09 pm)