Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 02, 2024, 02:23:03 pm *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Make Guilds  (Read 15322 times)
Hunter
EZ Server GM
Legend

EZ Server GM

View Profile
« on: August 28, 2011, 08:38:26 pm »

I haven't made any guilds this weekend yet, I was out of town.

I'll try to make them in the beginning of this week as soon as I can.

I would like to use new features in the updated source code that would allow players to make their own guild, but due to the lag creating a guild, I prefer to do it during low peek hours and give a quick warning, so that nobody loses items thru the lag when doing a turn in or combine or anything. If I allowed players to make the guild on the spot, they would spam it in order to lag the server, nerd rages, etc.

-Hunter

Hunter - EZ Server GM
Xiggie | Stone
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 08:44:03 pm »

If it involves an npc that you have to interact with in order to create the guild maybe you can have the npc to spawn only at certain times?

Fugitive
Legend

TROLL KING

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 08:57:25 pm »

Possible pay for the guild too.. shrug..

Quoted for the Brotherhood of Warriors
"I want my wizard to cast Fugitives instead of fireballs.
We can't always get what we want. ;-)"
-Hate"
Fugitive
Legend

TROLL KING

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 09:05:41 pm »

We could make a quest that involves effort to get a guild creation token.

+1

Quoted for the Brotherhood of Warriors
"I want my wizard to cast Fugitives instead of fireballs.
We can't always get what we want. ;-)"
-Hate"
Xiggie | Stone
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 09:14:14 pm »

If it involves an npc that you have to interact with in order to create the guild maybe you can have the npc to spawn only at certain times?
+
Possible pay for the guild too.. shrug..
+
We could make a quest that involves effort to get a guild creation token.
=
Win

Solbash

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 10:58:13 pm »

And also code it to where there has to be multiple people doing this just for the one guild, IE 3 people do the quest/tokens. The leader initiates the creation and the other two which would be officers do the turn ins and bam you get your guild.
Appren

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 12:11:02 am »

And also code it to where there has to be multiple people doing this just for the one guild, IE 3 people do the quest/tokens. The leader initiates the creation and the other two which would be officers do the turn ins and bam you get your guild.

No. The other three suggestions are good, but not this.

Appwar - 4.0 WAR
Appren - 3.0 SK
Gnoheal - 4.0 CLR
Apptwo - 4.0 MAG
Appthree 3.0 PAL
Corvac 4.0 PAL
and more...
Gantrathor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 10:12:45 am »

Good suggestions to limit problems, but this one might be best left in administrative hands.  Anything the players get to do will eventually be abused in one way or another by some.  I'm certain we'll have guild name issues, followed by complaints about the guild name nazi's when people bring them to Hunter's attention.
Xiggie | Stone
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 10:36:23 am »

I don't see how this would create more problems. The quest and plat requirement would keep most from creating guilds with stupid names. As it is now, Hunter has to do 100% of all guild creations. With this he may have to fine toon someones guild name from time to time.

To be a little more clear, I personally think the quest should be as long as the fg and cg quests but with all no drop stuff. The plat, 100k minimum. I don't think there are many people who would put in that kind of effort and that kind of plat just to make a guild with a funny name for shits and giggles. Most of the people who do names like that are 1 to 3 week people.

Hunter
EZ Server GM
Legend

EZ Server GM

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 11:16:17 am »

I could easily make a quest like the Fighters and Casters Guild have. I could also have the Quest NPC to make the guild check certain things, like Player Level, Player AA's, etc. I can also write up a name filter so certain key words, or even partial key words like anything that contains "nig" in the word would be rejected, but that would reject things like "Knight".

My top concern is guilds being created during high population / peek hours. During a guild creation, the server tends to lag out for 10 seconds, maybe due to the 123,000+ characters in the database. Hopefully the character purge coming up will help with that. During that lag period, its possible for players to lose items they were trying to trade in to NPCs and we don't refund items here, cause if we did then everyone would come up with a story to get free items.

My second concern is naming policy but that can be easily fixed when brought to my attention.

I'll consider the quest thing to regulate. Maybe even see if I can make a black out period like 4pm - 2am can't make guilds cause server has too many people logged on at that time. Server population has dipped this year a bit, which does make it easier for the rest of the players that really want to play without lag. I've noticed, based on our 5 MBits/Sec upload that we start getting lag around 450+ players online.

Anyways, I'll keep ya posted if/when I decide. Same with character purge, I'll try to give a lot of advance notice, maybe 1 month's notice. Any characters that have been created or logged in the last year from the date of the purge will be safe from the first wave of purging. If I go under a year, the I might look at other criteria like is the player level 1 with no money and less than 20 items and under 10 hours of play time? etc.

Hunter

Hunter - EZ Server GM
Xiggie | Stone
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 11:21:50 am »

Awesome, I think this would be a really good thing.

Dood

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 10:08:29 pm »

Wow,
You sir, are a master of geek speak.

Collector

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 07:07:51 am »

Caryatis use to have a guild creator npc, but you could only make 1 guild per IP.
Dethundrel

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 11:36:49 am »

I say any change that has even a "slight" chance of causing an item loss is bad ju ju.  It will only take 1 person losing an item to create a shitstorm over it, and can you blame them? If I went to do a 3.5 turn-in right as someone made a guild and lost my shit, I would literally lose my shit!
Also, no matter how big of a restrictionyou put in place, how much effort it takes, or how much money it costs, there are plenty of asshats that will always abuse it to make horrible names or grief people.  Who to say that if you beat someone to an epic kill, they won't be a dick and have a guildmake on standby waiting to watch you go to turn in so they can try and screw you?
Am I being WAY over paranoid? I think not. The majority of people here are very well mannered and would never perform such douchebagary. However, we know there are just as many idiots that come here once in a while that would LOVE to exploit something like this. You could make a guild cost 5 million Plat, and you will still see some form of "OMG Buttsex" for a guild name.
DrEradul

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 12:58:56 pm »

I like the entire FG/CG list and so far it's been a lot of fun for me being in Lguk with my toons, therefore it would also be a good idea for the guild quest.

Additionally, how would you guys feel about having a list of mobs to kill as well as the items to collect?  Flagging your character for these mobs in order to turn in the items and receive the guild token, as an example.

Too much?

Rorle - monk
Stralus - paladin
Hehv - warrior
Berkana - cleric
Eradul - mage
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members