Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 06:19:49 pm *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Technical Difficulty  (Read 9495 times)
MarcH

View Profile
« on: May 03, 2012, 05:44:29 pm »

I recently installed the UF version of the game (was running Titanium but switched) and for some reason all of a sudden I randomly get a "Reset Device Failed" error pop-up and it causes my game to crash.  I have no idea what causes it or how to remedy it...any ideas?  When I used to play (on titanium) I never had this issue.

I just started using MQ2 also (after I installed UF) & I was thinking maybe it has something to do with MQ2, idk.  Whenever I load MQ2 it shows me the maps but it can never connect, it always fails.  I read up on it on the MQ2 website and it said I need to make my IP address static and that should solve the connection problem; but to be honest I could care less about MQ2 connecting.  My comp can barely run 2 accounts, 3 if I'm lucky so I don't really need macro bots or anything.

Anyway back to the main issue, any idea what causes the "Reset Device Failed" error? It's really irritating.

hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 05:57:42 pm »

"Reset Device Failed" is a video issue. The failures to connect is MQ2BC.

First, go to the folder where EQ is installed. Find OptionsEditor. Run that.

Second, when in game type:
/plugin mq2eqbc unload noauto

This will resolve both problems.

-Hate

I'm so sorry Hunter, I tried...
MarcH

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 06:59:03 pm »

Thanks for the tip Hate! So far so good  Grin
MarcH

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 09:56:42 pm »

Nope still getting the error.   Huh  Angry
lerxst2112

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 11:23:51 pm »

It could be many things, from old video drivers to your video card overheating and resetting.  I would make sure you have the latest drivers for your card and the latest DirectX 9 version from here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

Do you play any other 3D games?  Do they work ok? What video card do you have?
MarcH

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 12:30:06 am »

I've played many other MMORPGs (FFXI, DAoC, EQ2, EQ live) and they've all ran w/o problems.  I have a NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT graphics card (1gb).  I'll try seeing if there are any updated drivers I can DL and I'll update my DirectX (I have 9.0c atm).  I'm thinking it might be due to overheating because it seems to occur after I'm playing for a while (at least I think); but I've never ran into this difficulty on any other mmorpg.
Blurring

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 12:44:56 am »

You should also check and make sure the display frequency is set equal to your monitors refresh rate (likely 60Hz). The setting is in options -> display -> video modes. Also check your eqclient.ini for a bad RefreshRate entry.

Blarr!
MarcH

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 12:53:02 am »

Tried checking my refresh rate in-game but on the drop down box under refresh rate it's empty haha.  I checked my .ini file and at the bottom I noticed it said "FullscreenRefreshRate=0" (I run windowed mode not full screen, idk if that matters or not).  Should I change the 0 to 60? or leave it alone?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 12:57:26 am by MarcH » Logged
lerxst2112

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 04:44:20 am »

Leaving it at 0 is fine.  The game just enumerates the modes available and picks one that matches the resolution you've chosen.  The video driver will only report 60 and sometimes 59 hertz on an LCD monitor and either is fine.  Do you play in windowed mode or fullscreen?  If it's in fullscreen mode and isn't waiting for vertical refresh you might be getting more than 60fps which is an extra load on the card.  I don't know if Underfoot has an option for that or not.  One thing you could do though is try lowering the max foreground fps slider to 60 just in case.

If you think it is possible the card is overheating you could download something like hwinfo which should be able to read the sensors on the card and you can run it in the background to see what the max temperatures are.  http://www.hwinfo.com/index.html

You could also use something like Rivatuner to underclock the card or force the fan to a higher setting, but the utility isn't all that user friendly and you can make a mess of things.

The easiest solution might be to get a can of air and just make sure the fan and heatsinks aren't dusty.
Blurring

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 04:59:49 am »

Not saying lerxst is wrong necessarily but I would definitely switch FullscreenRefreshRate to =60. Everquest rarely does what we expect or what it should.

Blarr!
Drezden

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 06:53:31 am »

Save a copy of the UF eqclient.ini..then take your working Tit eqclient.ini and drop it in and overwrite the one in your UF folder.

If you didn't get your UF client from Hate's list, I would suggest doing so. We know it works fine.
MarcH

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 01:59:34 pm »

Thanks all for the info I'll try them out.  I was looking at Hate's File Dump under his clients and I noticed there's like 15 files in there.  Do I DL them all and put them in my EQ directory or do I just DL the 15mb one?
Chunka
Legend

Been gone so long I'm a newbie again!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 03:26:39 pm »

Download all the files, and use 7zip to unzip them to a new folder for the new client. Dont muck around with combining clients, thats just crazytown. If you need missing files I think Hate has them on his site....if not you can find them at tinyurl.com/eqfiles.

"When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything — you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." R.A. Heinlein
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 6149
  • Latest: Acaelis
Stats
  • Total Posts: 65081
  • Total Topics: 5061
  • Online Today: 439