Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 06, 2024, 03:31:08 am *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Character Balance  (Read 5394 times)
Warbash

View Profile
« on: May 27, 2012, 03:07:24 pm »

So I am curious about character balance, how do you go about this really? Do you assign a number to skills and balance the number out? Such as can dps X but only take y amount of damage = z or can buff x increasing or decreasing dps by y = z?

I like the way the characters are today, there is some give an take but overall its not bad. But then you have some classes that just don't offer that much.
Take enchanter for example, gets a new 10k damage spell which means 30k with UC which estimated parsing would be maybe 10kdps? I hear they can mez in T6 which is awesome but comparing what they were on live, with slows, haste, charm, mez, mana regen etc... they fall a bit short. Just curious really Smiley
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 03:14:44 pm by Warbash » Logged

Warbash and crew <Ancient Elites>
Hunter
EZ Server GM
Legend

EZ Server GM

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 03:22:43 pm »

As for casters, creating spells was my weakness, so melee got more powerful than casters.

As for player HP vs mob damage, just kind of made 1 zone at a time and see how the players survive. Each new zone npcs have their stats slightly higher than the last zone base how how much hp the last zone gear gave them.

Its a guessing game, takes some tweaking, etc.

Hunter - EZ Server GM
Fugitive
Legend

TROLL KING

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 04:15:48 pm »

So I am curious about character balance, how do you go about this really? Do you assign a number to skills and balance the number out? Such as can dps X but only take y amount of damage = z or can buff x increasing or decreasing dps by y = z?

I like the way the characters are today, there is some give an take but overall its not bad. But then you have some classes that just don't offer that much.
Take enchanter for example, gets a new 10k damage spell which means 30k with UC which estimated parsing would be maybe 10kdps? I hear they can mez in T6 which is awesome but comparing what they were on live, with slows, haste, charm, mez, mana regen etc... they fall a bit short. Just curious really Smiley

Hmm apparently you don't know the Haste fixes
Hmm apparently you don't know the new line of Mana Regen
Hmm apparetnly you don't know the hate spell lines both generator and reductions
Hmm apparently you don't  know the Pets (This wasn't even changed not perfect but still rocking and rolling)

They are a utility char.. what other char can stop a T6 mob dead in it's tracks solo? Not saying it's perfect but saying it's totally worthless isn't correct either. This is a far cry from where classes were 12 months ago +, it just takes time and balances..
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 04:36:01 pm by Fugitive » Logged

Quoted for the Brotherhood of Warriors
"I want my wizard to cast Fugitives instead of fireballs.
We can't always get what we want. ;-)"
-Hate"
Warbash

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 07:26:27 pm »

Yes Fug I am aware of those, it was just an example. I was just curious as to balancing is all and other peoples opinion on balancing

Warbash

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 07:36:55 pm »

oh and Hunter, i think the balance you have done so far is very good, this was more from looking at how to fill the gaps. I think if you did a balance by numbers they would turn out to be somewhat bland. Its fun right now Smiley

hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 02:23:57 pm »

You are not forgotten. I still have yet to have time to sit down and bust out a spreadsheet. I need to take all the new spells, compare to melee dps, and then scale up accordingly.

WARNING: Caster DPS will not immediately be on-par with melee, yet. As much as I hate you plate army bastards, I understand the time investment you have put in to those plate wearing goons.

-Hate

I'm so sorry Hunter, I tried...
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 6149
  • Latest: Acaelis
Stats
  • Total Posts: 65081