Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 05:33:39 pm *

Login with username, password and session length
Poll
Question: Would you play on EZ PVP Server?
Yes
No

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: EZ PVP  (Read 24333 times)
cerwin

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2012, 05:54:08 pm »

Yea I would guess that melee/proc spam takes up 99% of the bandwidth usage here, however it looks like we will have to rely on people using server filtering properly to reduce usage.
Xiggie | Stone
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2012, 07:21:04 pm »

Being as melee and proc are text and graphics tend to be a bit bigger than text I would say melee and procs are no where near 99% of bandwidth used. I don't know anyone who would ever want to turn off their own melee reports or damage done to them. Take away the parry reports and block and all that but at least let me know that I am hitting the mob. For that matter I don't think there are any games out there that even lets you turn that feature off. Now if there was a way to filter out everyone elses (so you don't see other hits/misses) or set it up so it is defaulty turned off would be wonderful.

cerwin

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2012, 07:38:16 pm »

Being as melee and proc are text and graphics tend to be a bit bigger than text I would say melee and procs are no where near 99% of bandwidth used. I don't know anyone who would ever want to turn off their own melee reports or damage done to them. Take away the parry reports and block and all that but at least let me know that I am hitting the mob. For that matter I don't think there are any games out there that even lets you turn that feature off. Now if there was a way to filter out everyone elses (so you don't see other hits/misses) or set it up so it is defaulty turned off would be wonderful.

Graphics arent sent over the internet...

Im pretty sure melee and proc data account for 99% of the bandwidth here at EZ.
Hunter
EZ Server GM
Legend

EZ Server GM

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2012, 09:28:15 pm »

I bet I could save bandwidth if I turn off ooc server wide Smiley

Hunter - EZ Server GM
Xiggie | Stone
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2012, 09:41:52 pm »

So your character file, your armor, your movement, your spell glow effects are stored on my PC? The mobs, their movement, their attack animation, that is also stored on my PC? The world itself, yes is stored on my pc. That is why you can't place world items in everquest form the clients for everyone else to see. Graphics are sent over the internet. Your character graphics are not stored on your pc nor anyone elses but Hunters. Same thing goes for the mobs. So again, melee and proc do not account for 99% of the bandwidth here at ez or any other server.

cerwin

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2012, 10:14:18 pm »

So your character file, your armor, your movement, your spell glow effects are stored on my PC? The mobs, their movement, their attack animation, that is also stored on my PC? The world itself, yes is stored on my pc. That is why you can't place world items in everquest form the clients for everyone else to see. Graphics are sent over the internet. Your character graphics are not stored on your pc nor anyone elses but Hunters. Same thing goes for the mobs. So again, melee and proc do not account for 99% of the bandwidth here at ez or any other server.

Huh? All graphics are stored on the client pc's. The server simply transmits the NPC/PC location data and simple model type data. This is small stuff, no actual jpg files or anything.

In other words as Im moving across your screen, the only data youre being sent is my model type NUMBERS and color data. You are not getting data for every single pixel of my character. See the difference?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 10:24:01 pm by cerwin » Logged
Drezden

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2012, 10:15:42 pm »

I'm pretty sure everything you mentioned is client side, except for character data and movement(where the server thinks you/mobs are). All graphics and animations are client side.
Xiggie | Stone
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2012, 10:23:44 pm »

Ok actually yeah, that makes sense. Instead of sending the graphic to you it is instead sending a packet of information telling your pc to display this locally hosted graphic this way or that. In that case I can not refute at all that melee and proc being an extremely large part of the bandwidth on EZ. Sorry Cerwin, I was wrong.

I still wouldn't want my own melee and proc damage to be blocked from me being able to see it. Blocking others hits/misses/procs and all that jazz, hell yeah.

cerwin

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2012, 10:33:53 pm »

No harm...

Personally I filter even my own hits and procs unless Im parsing something. Not like I can really even see that data as it scrolls my screen at 20 lines per second. But I can see how some people might like it, nukers especially.
Xiggie | Stone
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2012, 10:48:13 pm »

For the longest time I have had my setup with a melee window, magic window, spam window and chat window. Here on ez I have moved magic into the melee window and put auction and shout in my old magic window. The first thing I do though is turn off as much as I can that way I only see my own hits and hits me. The rest of that stuff I turn off so it helps with losing sync. Crits are another big one I always turn off. If there was a way I could see my own, then maybe but as emu currently is you can not filter everyone elses unless you turn all crits off.

I wonder if increasing the per hit damage that we do (both melee and proc) and then increase the delay till our dps was the same would be an option?

Hunter
EZ Server GM
Legend

EZ Server GM

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2012, 01:48:06 am »

Good idea. Willing to try that although many players will be butthurt during the testing phase.

Hunter - EZ Server GM
Natedog
Master

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2012, 01:59:24 am »

Good idea. Willing to try that although many players will be butthurt during the testing phase.

I run 12 characters and have no problem with lag? Guessing people are just too lazy to turn off filters?

I am a noob... will this only change for the PVP server? If so that a mighty fine idea so you can find a lower bandwidth IP for PVP server.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 02:15:22 am by Paldail » Logged

Xiggie | Stone
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2012, 02:02:46 am »

I run 12 characters and have no problem with lag? Guessing people are just too lazy to turn off filters?

Honestly I don't think many people know about it. I think there are probably about 25% of the population who actually use the forums.

Hunter I would be glad to help out in any testing through parcing and whatnot like that.

cerwin

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2012, 02:08:22 am »

So double or triple weapon delays/dmg, double or triple proc dmg? I would hope this change would affect both regular EZ and pvp EZ. Might be worth doing when you consider it could cut bandwidth usage dramatically. It would also reduce server processing, although I imagine RAM usage would be roughly the same.
cerwin

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2012, 02:16:17 am »

Alot of people probably dont filter out their own damage dealt, including melee and procs, which is probably a large portion of the server bandwidth.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 6149
  • Latest: Acaelis
Stats
  • Total Posts: 65081
  • Total Topics: 5061
  • Online Today: 439