Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 09:16:36 pm *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Revamping core group  (Read 7581 times)
Roadgypsy

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2012, 04:06:35 pm »

Hey guys, been playing here casually about 6 months, have a full group in tacvi but having trouble starting PoD with no charms/Roa. Before starting the grind though, I want to make sure I can keep going on the classes I spend the most time on, and after reading up my pal/war/zerk/mage/nec/bst group and a sham for buffs sure sounds like it's gonna have issues. The pet classes helped carry me so far, but sounds like they're going to be a liabilty later on. I'm a bit slow on the draw, so I'm thinking I'd like to stay away from cleric if possible. If I drop bst>2nd pally, zerk>monk and mage>rog that should give me some more viable dps and surviveability if I'm not mistaken?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 04:08:12 pm by Roadgypsy » Logged

Rufio/Linkded/Thegl/Bigax/Bigfat/Choose/Gruulso
hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 04:20:56 pm »

That group should honestly be somewhat decent.

RoA/UC Warrior, Oracle50 Paladin and Shaman, Sorc50 the rest.

The shaman has the best tank heal in the game (in terms of casttime+recast and mana cost). The cleric DOES have a stronger single target heal, but it's unholy expensive (intentionally).

The pets are having a little bit of trouble in T5+, but I'm working hard to produce an acceptable (but not overpowering) solution to this.

Zerk is lovely. Even unaugged, it isn't wholly terrible. The added AoE will be a bane and boon in later parts of the game (but easily avoided with two tanks).

Necromancer, when geared appropriately (sorc50 or UC), has some VERY nasty damage from DoTs+Pet. In trash fighting, it will not shine as hard. On bosses, the necromancer should take the cake one of your higher(est?) DPS.

Beastlord is just DPS, no real pro or cons. If pet dies, get it back up ASAP. Otherwise, gogogogo.

-Hate

I'm so sorry Hunter, I tried...
Roadgypsy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 04:26:32 pm »

Ah, well that makes things easy, thanks. I had been told early on shams were crap healers here and just for buffs, so didn't look into the custom spells much. That'll make things alot easier if I only have to finish gearing him and just drop the mage out. Knew the zerk was nice for aoe, but alot of ppl trash on em and figured I needed at least 1 NS class for single target dps, but if not dropping the bst now he will still cover that even if pet drops. Need to do some more reading myself apparently instead of listening to naysayers and fanboys........but wait, i was told all these things on the internet, they must be true!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 04:30:57 pm by Roadgypsy » Logged

hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 04:53:38 pm »

Having written 90% of the custom spells for the players, the shaman is not crap. The shaman lacks any decent HoTs (paced reactive healing) or shields (pro-active healing, but makes up for it with powerful single target heals.

The line that I am referring to is the Acquittal of the Tribunal.

The paladin will handle your group cleansing and group "ambient" healing, but your shaman will be keeping that warrior alive through the toughest parts.

Lastly, play what is fun or what looks neat. You won't be "min/max" your DPS, but you aren't a carbon copy of every other group out there. I run SK, CLR, BRD, WIZ, WIZ, WIZ. At the moment, I am not great DPS nor am I super survivable. I am having fun though.

-Hate

Xiggie | Stone
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 05:03:42 pm »

The only thing about the shaman healing that I can think of is it's not group healing and since he sits on the outside of your group he is going to have to single target heal himself and your warrior. Even if you are not attacking with him he is going to get dots and aoe damage. Speaking of which, does the shaman have a cure component with that heal? If not, then you also have to manage your shamans curing. Personally I would rather have something that will heal and cure an entire group and rely on the shaman for kraken, (very very nice spell) and their huge buffs and use them as a source of back up heals if at all needed. If it were me, I'd drop the mage, add a pally and keep the shaman on the outside of the group. I'd also drop the bst and add a bard as they are always a super nice addition to a group.

Roadgypsy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 06:36:14 pm »

Thanks to you too Xig, you're one of the more helpful and knowledgeable people I've seen post, so one of the few that could make me think something other than "Hate is god, everything after this is meaningless"  Tongue Sounded like most of the concerns you raise are still covered by the pally, unless his proc cure don't cover all bases? I also know from the little I did in PoD the pally cure doesn't help if your target is dead and you have to move the whole group to find something else to whack before they wipe. My biggest worries were underhealing and not enough DPS later in the game, but sounds like subbing the sham for one of the pet classes is a good place to start for my playstyle. If I have mostly melee/pet dps it'll be pretty easy to just get everyone in range, use warrior to turn mob and then switch to sham for healing and occasionally DoT with nec.  If it turns out my fears weren't unfounded, switching 1 class out later for a cleric or 2nd pally sounds like it'd be alot easier than trying to swap 3 out now.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 06:39:51 pm by Roadgypsy » Logged

hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 06:49:46 pm »

I'm not a deity, I'm just a player needing DB experience and the intellectual challenge.

The paladins are generally preferable as healers since they are "Set it and Forget it!". They can also double as tanks. Their DPS (assuming UC and full augs) is VERY respectable, as is their healing output.

I'm just somewhat biased against AFK classes. That's all. :-D

-Hate
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 06:57:38 pm by hateborne » Logged

Roadgypsy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 07:26:00 pm »

I used to 2, sometimes 3-4 box on live, but with 1 comp (esp laptop) It's taking alot of getting used to 6, so set it and forget it works best for me now lol. Gonna try to get an asus ROG laptop soonish, so maybe easier with a better/multiple systems.

Chunka
Legend

Been gone so long I'm a newbie again!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 09:01:16 pm »

Just dont delete the pet classes. One thing you'll learn is that EZ is constantly changing...and what crap today could be gold tomorrow.

"When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything — you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." R.A. Heinlein
Fugitive
Legend

TROLL KING

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 09:04:19 pm »

if you like building classes Keep @ least 1 of everything around..

Right now any and all classes are playable as long as you invest time into them

Quoted for the Brotherhood of Warriors
"I want my wizard to cast Fugitives instead of fireballs.
We can't always get what we want. ;-)"
-Hate"
Bobbin

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 09:35:00 pm »

The DPS classes that shine in T6 are not the best for progressing through Qvic-T4

Don't try to tailor a low-end group based on the current 'end game' content. Make good use of pet DPS and resiliency while you push through to T4, 4.0s, and your first UCs.

Main: Bubbin
Xiggie | Stone
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2012, 12:09:21 am »

Lot of good points on here. I used my mage until I got well into T3/4. She was a solid form of dps till I could get my melee classes geared up and in line.

Roadgypsy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2012, 04:09:42 am »

Oh no, not deleting anything if I do revamp and making sure necro at least is on separate acct from any new toons  to carry through 3.0 and tacvi. Think I'll just sub sham in for mage an start RoA/charm farming on the core 6, can always use mage for a little extra dps from outside.

Sebastionleo

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2012, 09:11:28 am »

Only recommendation I'll make is drop one char for a bard, preferrably the mage. Bard TBIII will improve your entire group's DPS, and they also help survivability with March of the Wee, and do fine DPS on their own.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 6149
  • Latest: Acaelis
Stats
  • Total Posts: 65081
  • Total Topics: 5061
  • Online Today: 439