Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 25, 2024, 01:37:54 am *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: "Uberitis"  (Read 2854 times)
Chunka
Legend

Been gone so long I'm a newbie again!

View Profile
« on: January 04, 2014, 01:19:36 am »

Used to belong to a pretty heavy guild live....and our (in)famous raid leaders at one point had to cure what they called "Uberitis", or "overly enjoying the smell of your own flatulence".  Without naming names I will say I've seen some of that recently in ooc.

We got cured of that one night. We were forced to create a level 1 character, gnome, wood or high elf or dwarf, and get to crushbone. NO PLing, no twinking, just what we could loot along the way. Then we were to form up and raid Emperor Crush without zerg tactics. Taught us a bit.

End of the raid we were imparted with what became kind of a core philosophy for the guild. They lost sight of it from time to time, but the leaders were pretty quick to threaten Crushbone raids Cheesy

Anyway, the philosophy was:

1) If ya aint dyin, ya aint tryin!: You learn more from failure, usually, than you do from success. Dont be afraid to fail....it often leads to great things!

2) JAOP, its Just Another Orc Pawn: Lose a spawn to someone else? Miss a mob? It happens. Wait around a bit, just as with orc pawns there'll be another around soon enough!

3) (and this was a biggie!) The fact that I am better geared or farther along than you just means I have more time on my hands!
No need to be a douche to someone else just because they are new, or because they progress slower, or because they lack the knowledge you have. We all play for different reasons, or at different paces. One isnt better than another. And to those who would say, "Sounds like an excuse for failure" my old GL would without a doubt say, "Sorry your life is so shallow and empty than you have to turn to a video game to stroke your pathetic excuse for an ego or to find what passes for self worth".

And trust me....he accomplished more in these silly little games than most of us.

Anyway, soap box off.

"When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything — you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." R.A. Heinlein
Fjord

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 02:04:13 pm »

3) (and this was a biggie!) The fact that I am better geared or farther along than you just means I have more time on my hands![/b] No need to be a douche to someone else just because they are new, or because they progress slower, or because they lack the knowledge you have. We all play for different reasons, or at different paces. One isnt better than another. And to those who would say, "Sounds like an excuse for failure" my old GL would without a doubt say, "Sorry your life is so shallow and empty than you have to turn to a video game to stroke your pathetic excuse for an ego or to find what passes for self worth".

And trust me....he accomplished more in these silly little games than most of us.

Anyway, soap box off.

Great post and seriously agree with this last point.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 65023
  • Total Topics: 5057
  • Online Today: 299
  • Online Ever: 8678
  • (December 19, 2022, 02:32:09 pm)