Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 10:22:11 am *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Hail of Arrows  (Read 5699 times)
zomgDanyelle

Retired

View Profile
« on: June 04, 2010, 07:50:59 am »

Ok Kuanya has been bugging me to fix it lol so i've been looking at the spell. I think i've figured out why it's not working. The spell is fine. At first i assumed it to be a Titanium thing (the spell wasn't set up properly at Titanium's CD release or something) however it has the same issues in SoD some years later and thus that cannot be the case. A little digging has revealed it's an Emu bug. The spell is actually a unique spell, it uses a skill not a casting skill, specifically it uses Archery, fires 4 arrows (actual arrows) in a cone arc out from the player with a hit or miss percentile and the damage of the spell is based off of the arrow and bow you're using. The Emu cannot read this yet.

tl;dr i CAN fix it, but i CANNOT make it like it was on Live (which is what would make it useful). i can only set it as a standard AoE spell with a set minimum and maximum damage. Would you rangers be fine with that or would you rather leave it broken knowing now that the spell in it's "fixed" state would be somewhat disappointing compared to the awesomeness that it was on Live.... If you do want me to fix it suggest a min/max damage and an AoE type pl0x. I will test a bit more to see if there's anything else i can do but until then these are the only options.

Discuss

Pic unrelated:
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 07:52:57 am by zomgDanyelle » Logged

Blood of the Akkadian
qualin

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 08:11:24 am »

I'm not sure how AE's specifically work, and what options there are.  I know there are 'point blank AE's and 'targeted AE's' correct?  It just seems SoE should have followed 'keep it simple stupid' when creating this spell.

Why not just make this a targeted AE?  Target 1 mob, and it hits everything in a small area around it.

As far as damage, I crit for 8562 without the T3 ranger spell. So the damage of the spell should be 4281.  If I spell crit, then I hit for 8562. I dont know if you can modify how often certain spells crit probability, but if possible, just modify it to crit like 75% of the time just like im using a bow most the time.
Sickem

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 07:44:09 am »

From what I know hail of arrows was supposed to be a limited use large area damage skill. So setting it with higher damage would be "more like it IMO." Though it is a skill available to anyone at 70..not necessarily a person with the 3.0. Obviously a fresh level 70 ranger with HoA being able to do that much damage might skew the class balance some (not that others aren't already mind you). A group of rangers could go in and raid some bosses that normally takes a full balanced group force. The trouble is the ability wouldn't scale like it should with a better bow/arrow. It would be a set damage range (i.e. 3k-5k) instead of being variable due to skill/weapons. Obviously the best solution would be to have the emu fixed to allow it but I don't necessarily see that as high priority on the dev's list of things to do Sad
All that being said..a damage somewhat feasible imo would be min 3k max 10k with whatever the refresh time is suppose to be on the actual skill. Perhaps a bow could be developed for each epic level with that as a clicky effect. Could scale the damage at least some like this.

zomgDanyelle

Retired

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 08:02:19 am »

Well me and Kuanya double checked. It doesn't seem that the Archery skill being used as a spell is what the Emu can't read, it's the Cone target AoE effect. Thus the Archery doesn't need to be changed and the threat of having to set a base damage isn't an issue anymore, the spell will scale with the player's bow/arrow that is equipped.

That being said, the route this is likely going to take is the Cone effect will be replaced simply with another AoE type and bam fixed. Also any other spells using the Cone effect (I.E. Caster "Beam" spells although i think most of those if not all are 71+ spells) will not work either but none of them would have been as important as HoA and thus not really an issue but if you have a spell you want fixed and you suspect it is due to the Cone AoE effect please post it here and i'll deal with that as well.

Blood of the Akkadian
talanos

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 09:46:20 am »

Can it be a "rain" AOE?  I"m thinking it could look like the hunter's Volley ability in WoW.  Plus "Hail of Arrows" suggests arrows raining from the sky.
qualin

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 01:31:52 pm »

I think just changing the target type so that it works like its supposed to is the best option.

Whats the refresh time on that spell? Just curious.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 6149
  • Latest: Acaelis
Stats
  • Total Posts: 65081
  • Total Topics: 5061
  • Online Today: 223