Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 28, 2024, 05:47:22 am *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12
Print
Author Topic: T10 Thoughts/Musings  (Read 76504 times)
huffdady

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 06, 2015, 11:44:28 am »

have a boss that shouts a class, and only that class can land the killing blow, or boss DT's all players in zone =D

If this is going to be the case, then the XP mask buff needs a shorter recast time.
Dinadas

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 06, 2015, 12:19:43 pm »

I always thought tier 10 should be similar to tier 5, minus the water.

Some sort of huge task.
Dimur

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 06, 2015, 12:52:49 pm »

I don't think anyone is suggesting that every single character in the instance needs to have a UW, simply that UW needs to be a balance point to start with and the content should require more than the previous content has.  As you gear up in the relevant content, you attain gear and items that increase both your survivability and your dps and at that point the required numbers of survivability and dps have been surpassed to the point where you can do it with smaller forces.  But if you're just going to say anyone in full T9 gear wielding a single UW on their warrior that is geared far more than any of their support characters should be able to walk into T10 and start advancing right away then you're simply asking for a T9+1 zone.

I ask again, Hate, what is YOUR idea of what T10 is going to be?  What type of gear requirements are you visualizing for the content you want to put forth?  Because until we know that, we can talk about encounter mechanics, zone dynamics and everything else under the sun but none of it matters until we know what kind balance point this zone is going to target.
Expletus

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 06, 2015, 12:59:25 pm »

I think you can get what you are asking for with task system gear rewards and unlocking zone points to advance gear. Maybe utilize 2 sets of gear rewards which you can obtain right away with a heavier DPS / gear requirements and the starter set that will assist those who struggle in the zone. Building block sort of style. I do strongly agree the zone needs to be lengthy like t5. Every 5 tiers

Keeze
zymral

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 06, 2015, 01:10:03 pm »

I would like to see a velius like tier 3 factions with a central war zone have like the dwarfs to the hidden parts giants do armor and dragons do the weps. Then have the war zone be a anything goes kill giant boss get armor.... kill more giants get more giant bosses but spawn more dwarfs and dragons. When one facton controls the zone get a reward from the head of the facton.

Then you could combine the 3 to summon an overlord for the epic. After the kill the zone waits 3 minutes and repops all corpes gone.... ie not alot of selling.
balidet
Master

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 06, 2015, 01:27:18 pm »

you are all so funny...

All I want out of t10 is a challenge for my boxed army of 6-8 toons...

from what I see posted here they want to have DPS be a check..but how can that be when we have people with 6UW maxed out toons and 26 full t9 toons and then people like me with 1 group+ a couple of support toons....
You know that you cant balance a zone based on DPS on this server right? it wont work..

So what do you do?  everyone seems to have a fairly high UW now on at least the main tank...hell its been many months now with nothing else to do because t9 is such a cake walk... because people bitched because it was to hard...the same people I might add who are now complaining about being bored because it was to easy....but whatever...

MY suggestion is stop the UW at 11... its done..leave it.....no more....
stop the ROA at 1000....its done ..leave it....
now look at what people who have those items can do.....this is your base point... assume that they have ROA 1000 on all toons...assume they have UW11 on at least the main tank...
assume they run 12 toons...
assume they all have UC3...
assume they have chanter/bard/druid/shammy buffs...

This should be what you are looking at for the trash mobs in the new zones...

now you are forcing people to farm/backflag up to this general point to play in the new sandbox...some people are already at that point...most (t9)are close...

As far as what you want to do for content in the zone...

no lock out timers...please...no instance zones...please....

Normal formula has been kill a bunch of trash ...kill a small boss.....kill a bunch of trash...kill a small boss....kill a bunch of trash....kill a big boss? ....

t9 saw some variant of that and that was fine..and good...but it got reduced to nothing because of the dps nerf...

I really dont think you can make everyone happy...

whatever you decide please let it be a real challenge...like...holy shit I beat that %&&^ on my 50th attempt and it felt freaking great.... hell it should be broadcast across the server what a bad-ass (insert player name) is because he just beat the badbossman challenge in t10!

So what does a bad ass boss look like?

I think because of how we play... knockback would be a huge factor... maybe a zone with fast repop as well.... so you have to clear most of the zone...cause this R%&%&^ boss will knock you clear across it and you will agrro a mad train on your toon running back....so maybe a mage has to have his COH skills up...
having low aggro threshold on the boss would be good so he is switching targets constantly...
Striping buffs would really piss of people so that would be great.
Random Enrage is good...
Porting back to a bind and summoning help is fun.... more of this would always be good..
Lots of tricks in the mobs of EQ that can be made to make it a challenge...but doable on this server and make it fun!

No mater what you do ( unless you are truly a mad genius ) people are going to figure it out...and beat it into the dust.. its just how we are... sorry... I would not worry to much about making it unbeatable but lets try to make it fun!

I was really really sad when I spawned my first Hill Giant and it was a tank and forget it mobs...made the entire zone seem pointless to me...

its just ideas and feedback ...

Warrioror

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 06, 2015, 01:46:20 pm »

I know I haven't been around much at all the past 6? months or so.  Gnomi and myself got burnt out on all the farming.  Yea, my warrior got hooked up, thats it.  I had a good tank to help with all the farming.  It took months between 2 people to farm enough essences for UW for 1 person, since gnomi was more of the farmer, we decided he could have them.  We got him to about UW4?  Since everyone has between 3-30 boxes, seems like a scaling zone would be amazing?  LDON scaled based on levels and hard/normal right?  would it be too hard to use that system for the zone?
allalon

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 06, 2015, 02:55:19 pm »

First of all I want to say i have enjoyed reading everyone's ideas. This community has a lot to offer. That being said I want to put in my 2CP about someone who is only flagged for T5. I have been playing EQ since it first came out and I have played it off and on throughout the years. I have seen the game go through many phases some good and some bad. I have also played alot of other MMO's that had better graphics,quest systems, crafting and raid experience. Out of all those games I have always come back to EQ and the reason why is this. EQ is the only game I felt that I actually had to work at it to earn something. It was never intended to be an instant gratification game. What I mean is I should not expect to log on and be max level and raiding within a couple months.

I remember when I first started playing it took me almost 2 years to make max level. I remember being in a group for 5 hours doing SolB and only making 20% xp. You were lucky if you got more than 1 name to spawn. Spending 20 hours camping one name for a quest update (Anyone remember Stormfeather in IC Ocean?). That was the way the game was. I spent maybe 20-30 hours a week on the game and I loved it. Sure there was frustating times and I always saw high tier characters running around and I used to OOH and AWW over the gear they would link in world chat. But at the end of the day they could do that becuase they put in the time to get there. I wasnt jealous or thought it should be easier for me to get there, it just encouraged me to keep plugging away. The problems with all the new MMO's that come out is that they are catering to the masses and making the games so much easier that they cant keep up with thier players. Look at SWTOR great quest and story line but it was so damn easy that after 1 month, I was raiding, and within 2 months I beat all the game content. Then I stood there wondering what am I going to do now.

That what I love about EZ, its the old EQ. You have to work really hard to get to the max tiers. Not everyone is going to be equal and get their at the same time. I am T5 flagged with 12 toons. I only have 2 UC's, and every toon's ROA is at 100 except my tank at 250. Everyone else in my guild is T8 - T9. They help me out every now and then but I dont expect them to. They worked hard to get to where they are and played alot longer on thier toons and they should be rewarded. I am all for T10 being a gut check. I will tell you that T5 is a gut check to me when I got in it. I had 1 group and realized very quickly that I needed 2 groups. I needed to work on my resists, UC's and augs. Now that I am back in there I can tell the difference. Let make T10 the same way and not appeal to the masses (minus the water and damn stationary mobs).

-Sapish
clbreastmilk

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 06, 2015, 03:41:08 pm »

Boss chains are Very fun.  Would love to see that a thing.  T9 had way too many mats to farm up to gear.  Killed some of the fun.  Unique boss abilities that existed on some bosses would be welcome as long as it's box friendly.

In my opinion some of these posts requesting bosses that take multiple people are a bit out there.  The majority of people box and the ability of said boxes varies considerably person to person.  Please keep them in line of what your average player can do.

NO WATER ZONES PLEASE.

Pro's of previous tiers:

T1/T2 having trash pop mini bosses and chests were fun, the random aug mats were not.

T3/T4 Shadow was a neat mechanic, the shadow step was not.  Sky bosses spawner was efficient but def ensures people won't be using the public instance (do they ever now I suppose?)

T5, spawning random bosses was pretty fun but requiring them to progress makes this zone extremely tedious IF the rarity isn't altered.  CORALS NO.

T6, Loved this place.  Spot on.

T7, Again, loved it, spot on.  Chains were quite fun and this zone allowed a better geared player to do more in less time.

T8, DRAGONS!?  That was the highlight.  

T9, event ending up becoming tedious and farming mats to combine for every toon is a nightmare.  Things changing during night and day and having bosses spawn was cool.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 06:27:15 pm by clbreastmilk » Logged
clbreastmilk

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 06, 2015, 06:41:20 pm »

I really have to disagree here, because this would pretty much assure that the lower time to play crowd isn't going anywhere, maybe ever.

Not sure what you mean Rent. Limiting instancing doesn't really have anything to do with lower play time. Someone with limited time to play can still beat you to a boss spawn during their play time.

Don't you ever feel like, even as the content changes from tier to tier, that's it's becoming the same grind every time? Everybody heads to their private instance. Someone figures out how to get all the loot, the information disperses, everybody waits for the next tier.

While the above is true, that is what occurs at this point on EZ.  Your idea would result in a handful of people running content since there is no tagging.  This would, if anything, cause an uproar and many people to leave.  Are we trying to lower EZ population? 
WatchYouDie

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 06, 2015, 07:33:13 pm »

Striping buffs would really piss of people so that would be great.

Seems like a great idea but ...

content is based around stonewall. a nice one at that I'm at 69% and I'm an sk... and wars are what 73%? That is a lot of extra damage when numbers tend to be put to the max here in the first place.

How about this do a script like the one in OT for uw and if you dont have uw12 you can't use any UW in that zone or it kicks you... this would mean you would have to actually finish this zone to use the UW there but you could in all other zones....

I.m.o I would like to see content set up for a 6 man group. Yes with more toons it does become faster.
It takes a lot of work to get 12-18-24- whatever you want to say fully flagged for T10 ... but because you put that hard work in to make things easier for you now you have to make everything harder for everyone else?

Knockback + Snare = good combo gives you a chance to get back to the mob to proc heals etc again. Pref a lower range like 200 or so.

Dimur

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 07, 2015, 12:26:02 am »

More than anything, the things I loved about previous tiers was zoning in and knowing nothing about what I was supposed to expect and having my ass handed to me handily.

I liked when I first went through LDoN and actually had to worry about wiping because I hadn't finished my key and respawn was fast enough that you had to keep your ass moving, the mobs were hard enough that you could easily wipe on a bad pull and there were a handful of times I had to start all over due to wipes until I got to level 6.  

I liked Qvic and initially being overwhelmed by the named mobs' adds and wiping until I figured the spawn mechanic out, I liked that Qvic kicked your ass when you first got there but as you geared up it became trivial.  

I liked zoning into PoDragons and burning disciplines to take out trash dragons because until you got enough gear, you had to do it to survive.  I liked being able to collect the augs you could make from there, even though aside from the Nerds augs everything was outdated by the time you made them.  I didn't mind having to farm crystals from minis so you could spawn armor bosses, but I fucking hated the totems random respawn timer.  I liked the T2 bosses being challenging enough to make you sweat when you were getting ready to spawn them, hoping that if Kronos spawned you'd be able to find the real one before you wiped.

I liked HoH with the roaming pathers and static clusters of mobs, didn't much care for chasing Shadow around more due to his HP and my lack of dps at the time than the shadowstep.  Airplane was fun when you finally got the dps to turn the 10 minute snoozefest fights into something under 3 minutes, but only if you had a stack of coins to burn on boss spawns...going up there with 20 always seemed a waste of time.  

T5 was a gut check, actually having to UC my paladin tank because I hadn't rolled a warrior yet, and really needing to flesh out some strike augs.  And the task itself was fun for me, because even if I was limited on playtime I could go in there and target specific mob types and hope to get a named or two to spawn, not to mention the elation you got when you finally finished the quest and realized you didn't have to do it a second time for your dual wielding alts.  

T6 was great the way the front end mobs were easy enough to do on first break in, but the further you got into the zone the harder shit became...it really gave you a gauge for the increases you made dps wise in relation to clear times and I liked that yardstick because it magnified the hard work you put in after initially getting there in bringing up the rest of your crew.  

T7 was a real pain in the ass initially, not so much for the mob difficulty but for the vastness of the zone and the 2 hour respawn at release, thankfully that was increased to 4 hours soon after.  T7 had a great mechanic too as far as the epic fight went, needing to farm enough bane weapons to take out the Skull and hoping your group heals could keep up with his rampage since paladin epic proc and cleric epic procs didn't work on him.

T8 was incredibly rape initially, with the unresistable 1mil DD, the damaging AE spells, and the massive dps output from mobs as well as the rampage they'd fire off at a very fast rate.  It was so bad, the first few times I managed to kill Dozekar was killing the 2 roamers that pathed through his room and positioning my toons out of AE rampage range and chain healing my warrior with my cleric and sending toons in to attack knowing they were going to die but hoping I'd get him low enough that I'd eventually outdamage attrition.  T8 is also where I decided to go easymode and roll a druid for Drake to make it more manageable, and since then I still keep my cleric active more out of habit than necessity.

T9 was a broken zone on release, but if you managed to get the teleport ring so you could port to the tunnels you could wait out the skeletons at night and chip away during the daylight hours.  The mobs absolutely smoked anyone but the tank if they either drew agro or ate a riposte, there was no lore at all to tell you what to do and the armor patterns cost 1mil plat each and were surrounded by Obliteration mobs.  If you didn't realize this and were actively killing obliteration mobs along with other trash mobs, you fucked your faction with them and had to do a full camp clear to be able to spend your 1mil per pattern buying them from neutral vendor mobs in the camps, I hated that because people that didn't kill oblits could just walk in and have no issues with the patterns.  Spawning the Hill Giant was retarded more so because unless you were directly told by Hunter how to do it, you had no idea that you had to kill 20 each of 5 different mob types, some of them associated with each other...more than anything I hated T9 for the lack of direction given to you upon breaking into it.  I love the T9 armor system, it gives you a reason to grind other than trying to spawn bosses and I am glad as hell that the armor patterns had the ridiculous cost on them removed.

I was fortunate enough to hit T8 and T9 when they were balanced around end game gear, Hunter cited using Fugi as a template when he used his damage scales for the npc mobs.  It felt epic going to these zones, I didn't make my first UW until I was already full T7, and T8 and T9 still kicked my ass until I put in enough time figuring out zone mechanics, mob tendencies, etc and then backfarming UC's, UCv2 and upgrading strikes until I could manage the zones.  I understand the shitstorm that arose when UW's were being reigned in and tuned, and I understand that at that time UW's were still a rarity for the overall playerbase, but I don't think that's the case anymore.  I realize that not everyone is going to be at the same level of time invested, I realize that some people are going to stockpile resources more quickly than others.  But Hunter always had a way of dangling that carrot, making you grind towards being able to do something and not just getting flagged and expecting to waltz in and get to work clearing a zone you just got access to.  There used to be a learning curve, and that curve was harsh and steep and had a way of pissing you off to the point the you'd relegate yourself to going back in tiers just to farm enough to catch up to progress in tiers.  T8 and T9 were gutted to make them accessible to the non-UW crowd because at the time, the UW was an item that not many people had access to.  Times have changed, things have been streamlined and people's focus has shifted toward getting that UW for their warrior before they even bother progressing.  

T10 is the next tier, and after being fortunate enough to be one of the early adopters in previous end game tiers, my perspective on what it should be is going to vary greatly from those who've only come up after T8 and T9 were gutted to casual status zones, mob damage values being 1/10th of what they were and the heals that Hate adjusted against the original values having remained the same...essentially being 10x more effective than they probably should be.  The game in the last year or so has taken a HUGE swing toward catering to the casuals, with daily missions that you can farm for exp, plat, essences and alternate currency with a normal crew to the 2 highest tiered zones being tuned toward characters without UW.  My hope first and foremost for T10 is that T10 specifically swings back to the hard core, bleeding edge zone we haven't had here since.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 12:29:26 am by Dimur » Logged
Expletus

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 07, 2015, 08:26:22 am »

T10 is the next tier, and after being fortunate enough to be one of the early adopters in previous end game tiers, my perspective on what it should be is going to vary greatly from those who've only come up after T8 and T9 were gutted to casual status zones, mob damage values being 1/10th of what they were and the heals that Hate adjusted against the original values having remained the same...essentially being 10x more effective than they probably should be.  The game in the last year or so has taken a HUGE swing toward catering to the casuals, with daily missions that you can farm for exp, plat, essences and alternate currency with a normal crew to the 2 highest tiered zones being tuned toward characters without UW.  My hope first and foremost for T10 is that T10 specifically swings back to the hard core, bleeding edge zone we haven't had here since.

That would be fine except the UW's that were in existence had 3-4 Million HP's on them. Since the adjustment in HP's the mobs had to be scaled down which it seems you are asking for. Whatever is coming im sure will be fun and be adjusted several times before the final version settles.

At some point I believe the UW has to end and it should allow regular gear to catch up. It would then be very easy to make a zone based off RoA/SoA etc and not so much the UW's dmg raping the mobs. Is that T10 or T15? Who knows but the only thing I do know is that as long as the UW remains the same the discussion of basing a zone off the UW will remain.

Keeze
Chunka
Legend

Been gone so long I'm a newbie again!

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 07, 2015, 09:24:53 am »

Sorry, Ex, but saying you shouldnt balance the zone around UW, if its end game, is like saying you shouldnt balance new expansions Live around top tier raid drops/quests in the previous expansion. Its in the game, people are gonna get it, and a lot of them are going to gear more in their raid force (guilds there, boxes here) than just the main tank.

Two possible solutions here: remove UW completely (which we all know isnt going to happen) or make cutting edge content with UW in mind. Anything else is a waste of the "Borne Supremacy's" time. And a waste of ours.

"When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything — you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." R.A. Heinlein
Dimur

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 07, 2015, 09:27:55 am »

I'm confused as to where I've asked for mobs to be scaled down anywhere in this post, please clarify.

At some point I believe the UW has to end and it should allow regular gear to catch up. It would then be very easy to make a zone based off RoA/SoA etc and not so much the UW's dmg raping the mobs.

Here is the flaw in your logic, you summarily dismiss the UW as regular gear and then go on to cite balance points around ROA and SOA etc.  UW is just as much part of this game now as strike augs, so much so that people forego maxing out strikes until they make their UW as high as they can make it.  Why shouldn't the highest content be tuned around the highest attainable gear?  Nothing is preventing you or anyone else from getting one or more.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 65023
  • Total Topics: 5057
  • Online Today: 83
  • Online Ever: 8678
  • (December 19, 2022, 02:32:09 pm)