Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 30, 2024, 02:47:13 pm *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: New player first impressions  (Read 27102 times)
Raygan
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2015, 05:23:52 pm »

I see everyone talking about Terrorantula being sooo hard.  It's not that it is too hard you just need to have more healing than the damage taken (follow this rule through each tier) Heck I did it with a paladin when I first started and they don't tank nearly as well as a "true" tank.

Hate's Most Hateful Hater
Chunka
Legend

Been gone so long I'm a newbie again!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2015, 08:33:34 pm »

I would be careful with the min maxing on this server.. its so tempting but really in end game a rouge is fantastic!

And the eye liner is to die for!

Sorry, couldnt resist Cheesy And I will agree with IRS on both points. Min/maxing here is almost pointless (some classes with issues aside, like beastlord) because as you progress things can dramatically change for a class. What seems awesome in T4 or T5 may be bleh T6 or 7, then again after T8 decent again. As for the rogue....if you are seeking a class to UW after your tank, this is the one. DPS on even a UW4 rogue is insane. UW4 will literally outdamage T9 dagger and ninjastrike XI because of the insane backstabs. Get that UW higher and its nuts. Right now my UW6 rogue does almost as much dps as my UWXI warrior. But even before the UW a rogue will do more single target dps than any other non UW melee once you get a Twhip offhand and max your ninjastrikes (yes, more than the monk).

Zerk dps IS insane, and its smart to make them a major part of your team. MAKE SURE you examine the disc and AA zerks get carefully.....they get some abilities that help their entire group.

As for the spider.....never said she was easy Cheesy She's a gut check, and a rough one. But....put together some numbers and present them to Hateborne. He DOES pay attention to player input, and he will make changes based on such, but you need to be thorough (we get "mob X is too hard!!" all the time from even veteran players here, nevermind new fish Cheesy He has to make certain its a needed change).

"When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything — you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." R.A. Heinlein
Ponzi

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2015, 11:53:45 pm »

I dont think numerical input will really matter.. It's simply the fact Terrorantula doesnt need to be spawning 10 adds at once.. maybe one at a time every 10% or something... You dont see adds like that till qvic/t2 on the progression line and even those dont spawn so many at once.

At the level of progression you face Terror at, you dont have many aggro control tools at the disposal... What Cyclone Blade? I'm not even sure if the AE taunt AA works, and I'm pretty sure a player at that point on the progression timeline doesnt have that many AAs earned anyways. Even if they do there's about 20 things on the AA agenda more useful than a slow cool down AE taunt.

Heck even Master of Weaponry doesnt release that many adds at once. And to those that say this isn't important - I argue the contrary. This is often times the very first thing players tackle after hitting level 70. It's a pretty brutal wake up call. Nothing in Plane of Time or Ldon is that annoying/difficult. People dont register on message boards to suggest a change in this. They simply stop playing and server pop drops off. Just a minor tweak needed, really Smiley
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 12:07:59 am by Ponzi » Logged

Ponzi Scheme - Monk
Kanyon - Paladin
Kiwis - Warrior
Avacado - Cleric
Waraesh

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2015, 01:49:33 am »

At the level of progression you face Terror at, you dont have many aggro control tools at the disposal... What Cyclone Blade?

I couldn't agree more!  The difficulty in Terrorantula isn't with the incoming dmg, it is with the adds running around and eating the healers.  Prior to having Nerds 5, Hatestomp, etc.  Managing that AE threat with a warrior is quite taxing.  Granted, I only wiped on this fight hideously once, and quickly recognized I needed help.

Chunka
Legend

Been gone so long I'm a newbie again!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2015, 09:44:52 am »

I will definitely agree, when Hunter dropped in the adds on the spider it was overkill. It was challenging enough to new players before.

"When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything — you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." R.A. Heinlein
Raygan
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2015, 10:09:19 am »

Why nerf stuff and make it easy...hell use what ya got.  Most EVERYONE on this server rolls a paladin and at lvl 70 you should have Dread Gaze...its an AoE hate....tank the damn spider with your warrior and offtank adds with paladin.  Make it seem like it is an unbeatable feat but its not...just use what ya got.  Hell the paladin will even heal while its offtanking.

Waraesh

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2015, 12:42:18 pm »

Correct, having pally tank it is a simple solution; so it is not an unsolvable problem.  But you are asking player new to the server to convert their healer to a tank for 1 fight in the game.  In content that is below the tiers... That to me seems illogical, but to each his/her own.  Just my 2cp.

Raygan
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2015, 06:05:49 am »

You don't have to convert anything...you just use the pally to tank the adds....sheesh even a new player (assuming they have read the wiki and understand paladins are a good, possibly best healing class in the game) to use a toon they should have already made to OFF TANK the adds...hell if you played on live you should know about off tanking.  It isn't rocket science.  Dumbing down SIMPLE content to appease newbies is a waste of time, that could be better spent on say T10 and above. Roll Eyes

Ponzi

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2015, 08:00:28 am »

It's not a nerf, it's a matter of having it make sense and problem solve it. The style of the encounter is far more hectic than anything that follows it.. Plane of Timea is straightforward.. Nothing out of the ordinary in Ldon either.. Even MOW has a more obvious, linear spawning of adds. Thats all i'm inquiring about. To have it make more sense.

Because this is not some trivial thing. This is about the first real hurdle new players have to jump, and it might be a bit too overwhelming. Why should we care? Because new players are the lifeblood to EZ server. People stop playing for X amount of reasons, take breaks, many come back, many don't. But something like this is very important to the future of the server. Players need to be able to do this with a variety of different group make-ups:

P99 is an obvious source of new players, PEQ, Stormhaven, whatever..... Paladins aren't an obvious 'must-have' when someone is making toons and having their first go. Hell I applaud the ones that ask questions in /ooc, and not just because it allows us to make fun of the beastlords. Those are the ones that want to understand, and will likely make it far enough on the trek of EZ to get hooked. They'll get far enough to read the wiki. No one reads the instructions before playing a game. Thats part of the experience. We don't want them hitting the wall before they have the chance to get hooked and do it properly. Smiley

If i wanted to waste dev time, I'd demand they drop everything and make GSOA's stackable. That would be a total waste of dev time. <3

Ponzi Scheme - Monk
Kanyon - Paladin
Kiwis - Warrior
Avacado - Cleric
hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2015, 08:32:25 am »

It's not a nerf, it's a matter of having it make sense and problem solve it. The style of the encounter is far more hectic than anything that follows it.. Plane of Timea is straightforward.. Nothing out of the ordinary in Ldon either.. Even MOW has a more obvious, linear spawning of adds. Thats all i'm inquiring about. To have it make more sense.

Because this is not some trivial thing. This is about the first real hurdle new players have to jump, and it might be a bit too overwhelming. Why should we care? Because new players are the lifeblood to EZ server. People stop playing for X amount of reasons, take breaks, many come back, many don't. But something like this is very important to the future of the server. Players need to be able to do this with a variety of different group make-ups:

P99 is an obvious source of new players, PEQ, Stormhaven, whatever..... Paladins aren't an obvious 'must-have' when someone is making toons and having their first go. Hell I applaud the ones that ask questions in /ooc, and not just because it allows us to make fun of the beastlords. Those are the ones that want to understand, and will likely make it far enough on the trek of EZ to get hooked. They'll get far enough to read the wiki. No one reads the instructions before playing a game. Thats part of the experience. We don't want them hitting the wall before they have the chance to get hooked and do it properly. Smiley

If i wanted to waste dev time, I'd demand they drop everything and make GSOA's stackable. That would be a total waste of dev time. <3

The posts leading up to this were expressing the same thing. This post is a great example of how to be thorough, opinionated, but not throat f@$%ing me with his/her opinion. For now, the spider adds are disabled.

-Hate

I'm so sorry Hunter, I tried...
Warbash

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2015, 09:58:31 am »

We love you Hate (no homo)  Grin

Warbash and crew <Ancient Elites>
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats