Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 06, 2024, 01:20:54 pm *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Retro Gaming  (Read 8951 times)
Darpey

View Profile WWW
« on: January 25, 2016, 11:14:44 am »

Answering the Post "Windows 10 Rant" got me thinking about old games.

What is your favorite "old" game... and I guess the definition of "old" is kinda loose

Here is the basic list of what I still actively play of "old" games, all on PC

King's Quest games (via DOSBox, depending on the age)
Space Quest games (via DOSBox, depending on the age)
Quest for Glory games (via DOSBox, depending on the age)
Monkey Island games (via DOSBox, depending on the age)
Commander Keen games (via DOSBox, depending on the age)
Halo PC
Age of Empires Original
Medal of Honor Allied Assault
Call of Duty: World at War
Rainbow Six: Raven Shield
RollerCoaster Tycoon
Star Wars KOTOR
N64 Emulator (Mostly Zelda, OOT and MM, and Starfox)
Tyrian
Starcraft Original
Worms Armageddon
Elder Scrolls: Morrowind
EverQuest original (Project 1999 via Titanium Client)

What is your FAVORITE old game(s)

My favorites would be the following, in order:

King's Quest VI

Quest for Glory 1, VGA

Space Quest 5

Space Quest 4

Tyrian (Downloadable freeware version is called "Tyrian 2000")

« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 11:20:21 am by Darpey » Logged

Darpey - Warrior <Focus Hope>
http://www.ezserverwiki.com/
Rent Due
EZ Server Admin GM
Administrator
Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 11:43:13 am »

NES Metroid
NES Contra
SOE Everquest
Dark Ages of Camelot

D&D in college........you know, paper, pencils
Battletech.....you know, paper, pencils a board

Ponzi

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 03:41:05 pm »

Loves original Civilization/SimCity/Populous type 'god' games.

Huge into PS1 retro emulation. Two gems there : Final Fantasy Tactics and Havest Moon : BTN (yes, a farm sim.. i cant explain it either, its just relaxing and fun)

Genesis - Road Rash I and II, Centurion:Defender of Rome, Streets of Rage (all), Toejam and Earl.

Thats just a taste, if we wanted to get into NES and such it scroll for pages.

Ponzi Scheme - Monk
Kanyon - Paladin
Kiwis - Warrior
Avacado - Cleric
balidet
Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 07:41:52 pm »

my brother got me a usb stick and a retro original Nintendo usb controller..

on the usb stick he had downloaded every Nintendo game ever made...

I can now rock them all...old school style...

not going to lie it was an awesome gift!

hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 08:22:19 pm »

So far I've built and gifted two RetroPies to family.

RetroPie Project: http://blog.petrockblock.com/retropie/
RetroPie Wiki: https://github.com/retropie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki
Starter Case: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MQLB1N6?m=A30ZYR2W3VAJ0A&qid=1453774832&ref_=sr_1_2&s=merchant-items&sr=1-2
Actual Pi: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DG9D6IK?m=A30ZYR2W3VAJ0A&qid=1453774855&ref_=sr_1_10&refinements=p_4%3ACanaKit&s=merchant-items&sr=1-10

It's not terribly hard, but it is, admittedly, not for the faint of heart or those afraid of command line. With a bit of work, it's a HUGELY rewarding experience to see some one power it on for the first time. I gave the most recent one to my father and he's done nothing but play Mario Kart 64 with my youngest brother. :-)

-Hate

I'm so sorry Hunter, I tried...
Kruciel

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 02:02:41 am »

Some of these don't fit the retro category I know, but this is more just a list of games you need to play before you die sort of thing.

Breath of Fire (SNES) - first JRPG I ever played, and it is amazinggg

Chrono Trigger (SNES) - if you haven't played this, for shame.

Legend of Dragoon (PS1) - extremely overlooked game. Almost everyone I know completely missed out on playing this game because it took so long to release, it literally came out just weeks before PS2 launched. A must-play JRPG if that's your thing.

Legend of Legaia (PS1) - another overlooked JRPG of the ps1 era. Imagine taking Final Fantasy and replacing the "Attack" command with Mortal Kombat moves. Yep.

Dragon Age (PC) - Even though the expansion was a joke and Dragon Age 2 sucked ever worse, the original installment of this franchise was mind-blowing. It took the idea of FF tactics, gave it a real time feel and added more strategy to the battles. To give a little example, one of the common strategies for the 'hard' difficulty was to load your tank up with fire resist for the entire game because 1: dragons breathe fire, fire hurts and 2: your mage rains fire down on everything, including your tank, and then of course there are enemy mages.

Being a JRPG fanboi I have to at least put some FF on the list, so here it is:
Final Fantasy VIII (PS1) - That's right, I didn't pick 7, everyone has played 7, everyone overhypes 7, so I stick with my favorite. Best character development, best storyline, best music of any game I've ever played, and ya the draw / junction system was retarded and easy to take advantage of after playing thru the game multiple times, which is why everyone rips on the game  Tongue but there is way more good here than bad.

And last of all, this one might get some negative responses but hear me out:
SWtoR (PC) - This game is worth installing and playing for one reason. The storylines are INSANE and LONG. Almost 95% of the development time went into the quests, stories, and leveling process. Being rushed by their deadlines, EA forced the game into the world with every beta stress test bombing, gutting the game of half of the UI features just to make the servers able to handle the load (removing the entire combat log). I can tell you first-hand they spent 0 time working on raids as soon as the first stress test bombed. They spent months gutting the game and dumbing it down to smooth out the launch of the game. I was invited to both alpha and beta as a raid tester, and they never contacted us a single time to even do anything. The entry raids were terrible, PVP was incredibly inbalanced, blah blah blah the list goes on. The game flopped and deservedly so, BUT the game is free to play now, and while you are locked out of a lot of crap without paying a subscription fee, what you can do is pretend it's a single player RPG and just level characters. There are hundreds of custom quests depending on which faction and which class you choose. My point is, it's basically like having 8 different KotoR games at your fingertips for free, with a much better combat system. You will get much enjoyment out of leveling 2 or 3 characters, especially if you choose different factions.
Leis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 03:36:10 am »

Xenogears (PS1) An amazing RPG for its time, solid story, game play and combat system.

Flin is alone with the grimoire. I stab it, no wait I backstab it! You can't backstab it, you can't sneak attack an inanimate object. Why not it's prone? It doesn't have a discernible anatomy. It's got a spine doesn't it? *Rolls a 1 and stabs himself.
Leis  ~  Daira  ~  Arith  ~  Laria
Chunka
Legend

Been gone so long I'm a newbie again!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 11:31:15 am »

Daggerfall is my favorite "old" game. I dont really do console.

"When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything — you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." R.A. Heinlein
Fuzzypoodle

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 04:48:03 pm »

I loved Wizardry and Bard's Tale in the late 80's. 
balidet
Master

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 08:53:26 pm »

wizardry was awesome! I played that on grind mode until i was a ubber god

Ponzi

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2016, 12:59:49 pm »

One of my favorite things to do when i have about an hour and dont feel like playing solitare or whatever while listening to music/podcasts is to fire up the original Dragon Warrior on a NES emulator and set the refresh rate to monitor refresh (i.e. blazingly fast).

It's quite comical if you stick to lower areas, since you basically can average a kill every other second (slimes ghosts, etc, and moving up once you gain levels and armor). You can basically beat the game while barely paying attention in an hour. It's kind of addictive lol. Newer games added more members to the party, more command lines, etc, but the original DW was totally set up for mashing the attack button and running around aimlessly lol.

Ponzi Scheme - Monk
Kanyon - Paladin
Kiwis - Warrior
Avacado - Cleric
Fuzzypoodle

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2016, 02:08:07 pm »

There was a game I played in 79 to 80 and a store called Sword and the Phoenix, but the game was called Space Raiders and played on an Atari 800. The Atari 800 was my first pc.  woot 256k memory module, I was rocking back then.  Smiley
Ponzi

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2016, 08:38:44 pm »

There was a game I played in 79 to 80 and a store called Sword and the Phoenix, but the game was called Space Raiders and played on an Atari 800. The Atari 800 was my first pc.  woot 256k memory module, I was rocking back then.  Smiley

My very first gaming machine as a young child was an Atari 400, and I remember that game being so epic compared to all the other cartridges i owned.

Also, as a side note.. perhaps the last gaming console with  its own built in keyboard lol.

Ponzi Scheme - Monk
Kanyon - Paladin
Kiwis - Warrior
Avacado - Cleric
Darpey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2016, 10:22:28 pm »

^^

Darpey - Warrior <Focus Hope>
http://www.ezserverwiki.com/
Ponzi

View Profile