Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:46:36 am *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Network Issues - Troubleshooting  (Read 2565 times)
Loyal

View Profile
« on: October 19, 2017, 10:28:32 am »

Several months back i started having some internet connection issues. Out of the blue everything (wireless and hardwired) will lose internet connection for about a minute and then the network is able to restore internet connection on its own. This happens several times a day and is seemingly random. It doesn't matter if there is one device connected or every device i own is connected it will drop connection. This is particularly annoying when you play 18 chars and have to constantly re-log everyone back in.

At any rate, i know enough about my network to know i have a cable modem and a router and the issue is probably in one of those two items. I borrowed a friends working router last night hoping that was it.  However, that didnt fix the issue. My next step is to try a known working cable modem, but before i do that i wanted to check in with you guys. I figure there are a handful of you guys that are experts in troubleshooting this type of stuff. Is there anything i can do to actually nail down what the problem is?

Also - i have chatted with my neighbors who have the same ISP and they do not experience the same issues while streaming.

wolfegunr

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 10:43:20 am »

Steps pretty much are check all connections, inside and out. Make sure nothing is loose or tampered with. I once had a huge ass wasp nest in the box on the side of the house where the cable connected to the house. Trace it all the way to the street (on mine it's connected in a rectangular box with easy access right by the curb of my street.) Of course you need to unplug everything also and let it sit for a bit then restart. Then call your cable company to ping and look at your modem remotely. Bipass your router and network equipment as much as possible.

It is helpful to also make damn sure you dont have leeching problems from rouge programs running on your pc (not to mention your phone or any other connected device which could take bandwidth with ads etc.) I wipe mine and re-image about every three months and it keeps everything running bug free and smooth. It depends really on what all you do with your pc, I use mine for everything so I keep it running tight, and I don't run antivirus but most people probably should. Make sure you make exceptions of course for all eq related apps.

Next step for me when I had these issues was to replace the cable modem, they can be had for $50 when on sale or $100 at walmart. Make sure it is a docsis 3 so you get proper speeds. If you still have issues after that and your neighbors dont, you need to look at the wiring of your house or where it runs to the street or pole (tree roots, animals can tamper with wires.)

I was told by an operator once that it was squirrels running on my lines that was most likely the issue, this can happen I guess? But your neighbors would have these issues too if that were the case. If your modem is more than 3 years old, I would replace it just for posterity and keep the old for a spare. If it clears everything up, toss that bastard. Good luck!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 10:47:05 am by wolfegunr » Logged

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this board is now dumber for having read it. May God have mercy on your soul.
Akkadius
Administrator
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 02:13:59 pm »

One thing I would check when you're having drops is to see if the modem starts re-training - that would indicate physical problems upstream from your home. Usually you will see a light sequence on the DOCSIS modem indicating that it is trying to train up with the CMTS. If that is the case, that's on your ISP to troubleshoot physical problems for you. If it's not, then you will need to look locally

EZ Server GM
Loyal

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 04:00:19 pm »

I appreciate the help guys! I broke down and just bought new equipment, here is to hoping thats all it was!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 6124
  • Latest: Havicck
Stats
  • Total Posts: 64988
  • Total Topics: 5053
  • Online Today: 55