Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:17:26 pm *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Basic Beginner's Guide/FAQ  (Read 64085 times)
zomgDanyelle

Retired

View Profile
« on: April 06, 2010, 04:33:03 am »

Figured i would set this up =D

First let me just say this isn't so much a "guide" as it is a list of answers to questions that are asked basically 500 times a day. Wink I'll try to keep it updated if need be etc and people of course are welcome to add to it. It's my hope that having this here and directing people to it (as well as the rest of the guide's section) should hopefully save everyone from the dangers of carpal tunnel for typing all this out so many times a day lol.

There are a few accompanying screenshots as well FYI. (I use SoD client AND ,for some of them a custom UI, so inb4 "why are the item windowz so weird?Huh" there's your answer)

Guide "Patch" notes:
EDIT: Color coded it so it's a bit easier to read. "Qs" are now red and "As" are now green. Smiley
EDIT: Added stat food/drink screenshots.
EDIT 4/8/10:Fixed a question. Though the answer was correct i found a much easier method. This question specifically was the SoF/SoD human models question. If you used that "patch" i would suggest you reread it. Added a couple questions. Also changed the name. This post has also reached it's max size limit. Any added info will be added to a post farther down. Thank you.
EDIT 6/9/10: Added a few more screenshots and questions.

NOTE!: This post is full up. Continue reading the FAQ by following ~~this link~~

Q. Where do i get my spells
A. In Surefall Glade and The Nexus there is a High Elf NPC named "Trainer". Her surname (the title underneath her name in parenthesis) states "Spell Scriber". In Surefall she is located near the bull's eye set up on the opposite side of the zone from the soul binder near the zone in from Qeynos Hills. In the Nexus she is located next to the banker. There is one in the CG and FG guilds as well but if you don't know about the spell scriber by the time you gain access to a guild i'm sorry but you're lost >.< lol Hailing her brings up the options to scribe your spells, train in meditiate, train your swimming, train in your bard skills or put one point in each of your tradeskills (to allow usage and skill ups)

Q. How do i get back from <insert zone name here> to Surefall?
A.

Q. Why am i not in Surefall? I'm in The Arena.
A. Check above answer. That charm is put into your inventory by default.

Q. What's the max level here?
A. 70

Q. Why am i seeing "Unknown Spell" effects?
A. You're missing the custom spell file. Follow these links:
If you use Titanium: Link here
If you use Secrets of Faydwer: Link here
Go to your Everquest directory and find the old "spells_us.txt" file and drag it somewhere safe. Now drop the file you just downloaded into your EQ directory. If you were already in Everquest you must completely exit the client and log back in for the changes to take effect.

Q. What is a spell file?
A. spells_us.txt is a text file that the client reads prior to entering the character select screen. It's a list of numbers and letters indicating different spell fields and effects. The spell file only allows connection with the spells in the database (you can't have one without the other) and usage of spells. It has absolutely no effect on in game graphics for spells.

Q. What is the difference between the Titanium and Secrets of Faydwer spell files?
A. Titanium is limited to having 9999 spells in the file. SoF is not restricted to that number of spells. In a addition some spell fields (the numbers that tell the client the spells effects) were apparently removed between the Titanium and Secrets of Faydwer clients. The spells still read the same and have the same effects/graphics however the client reads them differently. All you need to know is the differences are not visual and you won't see them from a player point of view. P.S. you CANNOT mix spell files (I.E. using the SoF file in a Titanium client)

Q. Why are there humans in South Ro/Oasis etc?
A. If you're using SoF/SoD these zones will not boot their models properly meaning only globaly booted models will show (player character models/ alligators/ elementals etc) There are a couple ways to fix this. The easiest being changing the mobs booted in the zonename_chr.txt files. It seems even though you are using the old zone files it uses the new zone's _chr file for model booting (as opposed to the old one). Thus your best bet would be to make sure the following files look as shown below:
(Note: SoF only has sro_chr.txt and nro_chr.txt by default, SoD doesn't have any of these. If your client doesn't already have one of these files just open up Notepad and copy these down and name each one appropriately.)
sro_chr.txt:
Code:
bet,rathemtn_chr
bgm,qeynos_chr
spi,velketor_chr
cst,cst
dke,dke
fgh,fgh_chr
gem,paineel_chr
ghu,fearplane_chr
gia,southkarana_chr
gob,runnyeye_chr
mmy,mmy_chr
pma,pma
qcm,qeynos_chr
qcf,qeynos_chr
rom,rom_chr
sha,oot_chr
snk,snk
spq,spq
tar,tar
zom,fearplane_chr
zof,fearplane_chr
sna,qeytoqrg_chr
pum,iceclad_chr
orc,crushbone_chr
nro_chr.txt
Code:
arm,oggok_chr
rat,akanon_chr
bet,rathemtn_chr
spi,velketor_chr
bgm,qeynos_chr
btn,btn
eef,eef
fpm,freporte_chr
gdm,unrest_chr
ghu,fearplane_chr
gob,runnyeye_chr
gia,southkarana_chr
mmy,mmy_chr
pma,pma
qcm,qeynos_chr
qcf,qeynos_chr
rtn,rtn
snk,snk
tar,tar
cst,cst
fgh,fgh_chr
gem,hole_chr
zom,fearplane_chr
zof,fearplane_chr
pma,iceclad_chr
sna,qeytoqrg_chr
oasis_chr.txt
Code:
orc,crushbone_chr
spi,velketor_chr
sna,qeytoqrg_chr
bgm,qeynos_chr
bet,rathemtn_chr
ghu,fearplane_chr
gob_runnyeye_chr
zom,rathemtn_chr
zof,rathemtn_chr
pum,iceclad_chr
gia,southkarana_chr
Fixed: Snakes work now to.
If you used the old GlobalLoad.txt fix for this bug simply open the file and erase what YOU put inside. Be careful what you take out as it may cause some models to no longer display or worse yet break your game.

Q. What does CG/FG stand for?
A. Caster's Guild/ Fighter's Guild respectively.

Q. How do i gain access to CG/FG
A. You must be level 70 to begin the quests. After you obtain level 70 speak to Hyacinthe (Caster's Guild) or Melwithe (Fighter's Guild) in the Nexus to begin. Follow the following links for guides/walkthroughs:
Overall Guide thread: Link here
Caster's Guild Quest: Link Here
Fighter's Guild Quest: Link Here
Walkthrough Video by Hazard: Link Here
Have fun! =D

Q. How do i do <insert epic number here>
A. 1.0 is bought free from Epic Vendor in Surefall Glade, The Nexus and both guild halls. Epic Vendor also provides the quests for 1.5/2.0/2.5/3.0 and 4.0. The 4.0 you likely will not be seeing for a LONG time so ignore it for now.
Guide Thread: Link Here
You must be level 70 to start 1.5-3.0. The quests are custom and are not the same as Live. Terrorantula/Quillmane for the 1.5 are NOT the same as they are on Live so please don't zone into South Ro at level 50 asking where Terror is then being surprised when you get 1 rounded. You've been warned. 1.5-2.0 epics are the same as they are on Live. NONE of the epics are Lore so dual wielding classes can do it 2 times for 2 3.0s (for Rangers you can do it 3 times for 2 swords and a 3.0 bow. You can only get the epic bow at 3.0, not 1.5-2.5) The clickies on 2.5-3.0 are different than the 1.5-2.0 so you can get your 3.0 then go back and get a 1.5/2.0 for the clickies if you so desire (some classes may be advised to do this actually)

Q. How do you upgrade a charm?
A. You must buy the Noobie Charm V2 off the Noobie Vendor and then find a Charm Upgrade from ldon levels 2-6 (VERY rare). Turn in the noob charm with the upgrade for it's corresponding charm. To continue to upgrade it you must find the same upgrade as your current charm. The charm's go up to lvl 50 (only up to 25 from ldons. 26-50 are from T3 raid content) The charm types are as follows:
Guardian: A Tank charm.
Oracle: a healer charm. Has a healing focus.
Sorcerer: A Spell DPS charm. Has a Spell damage increase focus.
Brawler: A Melee DPS charm. Not working as intended right now but focus is supposed to increase melee/bow DPS.
There is also an Ultimate Charm made by combining level 50 versions of all 4 charms together. (Screenshot in the continuation of the guide below)

Q. How do ldons work here?
A. ldons are not instanced here. There are 6 currently existing levels.
1. The Spider Den (mirc)
2. The Chambers of Eternal Affliction (mmcd)
3. The Royal Observatory (takd)
4. The Arena of Chance (ruji)
5. The Cauldron of Lost Souls (guka)
6. The Morbid Laboratory (mirh)
ldon1 drops no cards and has no named. As for the rest, all cards minus the Illusionist cards can drop on all levels except ldon1, but certain cards are more common on certain floors and to expect them elsewhere is foolish.
ldon2=feet/hands
ldon3=arms/head
ldon4=bracers/legs(bracers have an increased drop rate since you need two bracers)
ldon5=chest
ldon6=illusion
Points are now handled through the Gatekeeper by handing him certain objects found in the ldon floors. The first is the ldon point coins. There are two types, "Ldon Credits 10" (Trash) and "Ldon Credits 50" (Named), they net you 10 and 50 credits respectively obviously. You can also trade in armor cards (except illusion cards) and charm upgrades for 10% of their purchase value (feet/hands=30 points, arms/head=40 points, bracers/legs=50 points, chest=60 points, charm upgrades=200 points.) For what those cards cost to buy back simply multiply those points by 10 (feet/hands=300 points, arms/head=400 points, bracers/legs=500 points, chest/illusion=600 points, charm upgrades=2000 points.) Ldon levels 2-6 also have 2 2.0 pages per floor.

Q. Where do i get maps?
A. http://www.mapfiend.net/

Q. What benefits come from the guilds?
A. CG:
Casting Skills maxed and over capped. Casting Specialty Set. Stat Drink and the CG pet ring:

If you have a pet you can now also hail him to buff you (same as Nexus/Surefall buff bot) and to equip your pet with:

FG:
Melee combat skills maxed and overcapped. Stat food and clicky rez stone:

Q. Can you give those CG fireswords to any pet or just your own?/Where do i buy the CG fireswords for my pet?
A. You never actually get your hands on those swords. When you become CG flagged hailing your pet brings up the option to equip one of those swords. clicking the saylink forces him to equip one, clicking it again forces it to equip 2. So no you cannot give it to any other pets and you don't buy it anywhere.

Q. Who can use the CG pet ring?
A. See the above image of the ring.

Q. What does RoA stand for?
A. Ring of the Ages

Q. What do you do for RoA?
A. You must obtain level 70. After that you may unequip all your armor and hail the RoA NPC in Surefall. Hailing her gets you a no-stat RoA rank 0. Hand her the no stat RoA (or the RoA you want to upgrade) and she will delevel you and you must level to 70 again, she hands you the RoA back upgraded when she delevels you. There is a max rank of 100. The ring has no required level until rank 51. Eventually you need to use tradeskills to level. Apparently the rank 100 clicky absorbs 9500 dmg.

UPDATE!~

Q. How do i organize spells?
A. More than likely if you are asking this it's because you just scribed your spells and they are a mess in your spell book and you can't find what you want to memorize. If this is the case you don't NEED to organize your spells. Simple right click an empty spell gem on your task bar and it sorts the spells you have by category >type>level. As seen in the screenshot below:

Q. What is the lowest level that can group with <insert level here>
A. To find the lowest level a person can group with simply take 2/3rds their level. For the highest level someone can group with take their level plus half their level. As a tidbit of info as well the lowest level a level 70 can group with is 47. Also keep in mind the low level player will not get experience from a kill if the high level person doesn't either. So keep that in mind before you start screaming that the numbers must be wrong.

Q. What's the minimum level to enter Plane of Fire?
A. 47

Q. What's the max level you can be in Dulak's Harbor?
A. 61 you will no longer be able to zone in at or you will be booted out if you're already in the zone when you ding.

Q. Does the mage spell Raging Servant or the Beastlord spell Beastial Empathy work here?
A. No. By default those pets are not sourced into the database (for some reason) and Hunter has not added them by hand yet. If you try to cast the spell you will get the following message:

The spells themselves work and are in the game however because the pets either aren't in the "NPC_Types" table or the "Pets" table in the database (one or the other or both) they can't be spawned because they simply don't exist. Of course Hunter has the ability to fix this at anytime Wink but trust me it's not that much of an issue here so i wouldn't worry about it.

Q. Is ooc server wide here?
A. Yes as is /auction. On every Emu server /ooc is a server wide channel due to the previous lack of correct implementation of the general chat channels. SoD/SoF still have issues with chat channels on some servers (EZ included) but they work for Titanium. Also every server has the ability to make /ooc and /auction server wide or not server wide however here they ARE server wide so there ya go lol.

Q. How do i use melody?
A. /melody now works properly. Set it up as follows "/melody 1 2 3 4"

Q. How do you get bots on this server?
A. You don't. Bots are not used on EZ server. Some people may respond to this question and tell you that you get them in Plane of Time. This is a misconception as the bots/mercs they are referring to are npcs that act exactly like pets (because they are pets. "Hiring" one activates a quest script that forces your toon to use the "#makepet" command to summon these pets from the database without a spell.) and are only available in that zone.

Q. Where do i turn in/do with <insert any of the bag of platinum rewards given by noobie quests>
A. You don't turn it in to anyone. You sell it for platinum just like any other vendor trash =D

Q. What tier comes after <insert zone here>
A. Tiers are as follows:
Plane of Time A>LDoN zones>Qvic>Tacvi>T1 Plane of Dragons (Grassy section of Plane of Storms)>T2 Plane of Dragons (Desert section of Plane of Storms)>T3 Plane of Gods (Halls of Honor A)>T4 Plane of Gods (Plane of Sky)
Contrary to popular belief Qvic is NOT T1, Plane of Dragons is (AKA Plane of Storms on Live)

Q. What armor drops where?
A. Armor drops by "What zone they're in now=What zone they were in on Live"
Field of Bone=custom
Oasis/Paludal Caverns/Mistmoore Castle=Old Sebilis/Thurgadin
Dulak=Vex Thal
Bastion of Thunder=Plane of Time B
Plane of Time A=Tacvi
Ldon=Citadel of Anguish
Qvic=Dreadspire
Tacvi onwards=custom

Q. How do i turn off /melody?
A. /melody off

Q. Where does the item Alacaramba is looking for drop in FoB?
A. An item with a gun icon. Off giant scorpions in the pit.

Q. Can someone link the CG/FG ring(s)?
A. All it is is a no stat ring with a port clicky to CG/FG respectively.

Q. How many toons can i box here?
A. There is no IP limit so you can box as many toons as your computer can handle.

Q. How do you open up the Discipline window?
A. Alt+C

That's all i got atm =D. Feel free to add to it and direct noobs here Wink

Have fun EZ!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 11:42:56 am by zomgDanyelle » Logged

Blood of the Akkadian
Reed
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 06:10:25 pm »

A+ new player guide. like the detail
reading brought me back to when i started on EZ server. think i asked just about everyone of those questions at one time or another.

zomgDanyelle

Retired

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 06:32:28 pm »

Thanks! =D

It's gonna be "ever expanding" as there's a lot of commonly asked questions i missed due to forgetting about them etc lol and of course as i said everyone is free to reply with more Q&As and i'll edit them into the first post for easy access (i'll keep a "changelog" of sorts at the top of the thread.)

Hoping to use this to help make noobs aware of the forums/website (since they're very useful tools) and to stop the spam of the same questions day in and day out. It was either this or make /ooc hotkeys XD lol

So promote this section of the forums as much as you guys can ^_^ lol

Blood of the Akkadian
Blackee

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 10:03:58 pm »

I was a total noob before reading dany's guide. Four thumbs up!

robpickles

Official Lurker of EZ Server

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 11:54:34 am »

Nice work!

Been asking for someone to post something like this for a while in Suggestions.

Thanks!

Rob Smiley
zomgDanyelle

Retired

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 10:10:10 pm »

FAQ continuation:

New questions will be put here. "patch" log will still be added to first post so if need be i'll move some questions down here. Enjoy EZ!

Q. What is the stat cap with AAs maxed?
A. 355=stats 550=resists. Certain classes get even more AAs for example casters can get int/wis cap raised to 405 with max AAs. Also remember some buffs raise the cap of stats.

Q. What are the negative mana augs for on the Noobie Vendor?
A. Mana cap for upper tier people using the Titanium Client. People using SoF or SoD do not have this mana cap and do not need those augs.

Q. What level do mage spell pets become better than 1.0 pet?
A. 65.

Q. What's the command for autofiring?
A. /autofire... lol

Q. How do i get the buff bot to buff my pet?
A. CG/FG guilds and the Pet Affinity AA.

Q. Can anyone link RoA 100 pl0x?
A.

Q. How does one get the Epic 4.0?
A. At the moment quite simply YOU don't It's 1 mob in T4 that can crit for 250k+ and has 170k+ hp regen. I think it'll be awhile before the average joe on EZ is running around with one of these babies so please don't ask for help on them.

Q. Whats the difference between Titanium and SoF/SoD?
A. Check this thread. Link here.

Q. Where's a good place to get money?
A. See thread here with ideas: Link here.

Q. How do i set up my EQ client?
A. Well believe it or not i hear this one occasionally. Not exactly frequent but meh. Obviously usually pertaining to switching from one client to another. Check the thread here: Link here.

Q. Pic of Ultimate Charm please?
A.

Q. Why won't my pet take any items?
A. If you're in Surefall or the Nexus that's why, you can't give pets items (except the CG pet swords due to the forced equip script used for them) in those zones.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 02:54:36 pm by zomgDanyelle » Logged

Blood of the Akkadian
Hunter
EZ Server GM
Legend

EZ Server GM

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 07:53:53 am »

Appears the too much mana bug is in Titanium Clients only.

Hunter - EZ Server GM
Lodar

Booyah!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 08:23:22 am »

Q. What level do mage spell pets become better than 1.0 pet?
A. 65.

Very nice guide!... this was one of my questions.   I have a mage and was wondering i should use epic pet till when Smiley

Awesome!

Lodar - 70 Cleric
Genelor - 70 Warrior
Shoo - 70 Mage
Sinluyen - 70 Wizard
Capt - 70 Rogue
Shaa - 70 Ranger
Hopeless - 1 Paladin

"I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, uh, some people out there in our nation don't have maps and, uh, I believe that our, uh, education like such as in South Africa and, uh, the Iraq, everywhere like such as, and, I believe that they should, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., uh, or, uh, should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries, so we will be able to build up our future, for our children"
Necosi

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 11:11:25 am »

Q. How do i organize spells?
A. More than likely if you are asking this it's because you just scribed your spells and they are a mess in your spell book and you can't find what you want to memorize. If this is the case you don't NEED to organize your spells. Simple right click an empty spell gem on your task bar and it sorts the spells you have by category >type>level. As seen in the screenshot

Oh, wow!  This could have been usefull information to have, before I sat there and arranged all my spells by type, 'class', and level...

(I'm not so much a loser, per se, as I am a neat freak)

Thank you!

Siccwilly Darkmind - Barbarian Berserker
Snaekize - Iksar Beastlord
Dhuka Vhurl - Dwarf Paladin
Lodar

Booyah!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 12:00:46 pm »

Oh yeah that too... the spell part.. I was simply checking my new spells every 15-20 levels because i was wasting too much time going through them all...

Lodar - 70 Cleric
Genelor - 70 Warrior
Shoo - 70 Mage
Sinluyen - 70 Wizard
Capt - 70 Rogue
Shaa - 70 Ranger
Hopeless - 1 Paladin

"I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, uh, some people out there in our nation don't have maps and, uh, I believe that our, uh, education like such as in South Africa and, uh, the Iraq, everywhere like such as, and, I believe that they should, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., uh, or, uh, should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries, so we will be able to build up our future, for our children"
Reed
Legend

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 12:35:33 pm »

Luckily EZ's Lady Gaga is back and can improve this more.

Zartaxis

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 08:45:41 pm »

Couple of updates:  /melody works now.  RoA 100 is 9500 rune.
xoltrek

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 03:10:51 am »

melody work but when you miss a note rotation stopping Sad
b33tlejuice

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 04:01:44 am »

somethin else u could link for all us noobs dany cuz i know i ask to see it from time to time, a pic of the ROA 100!! Tongue
robpickles

Official Lurker of EZ Server

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2010, 08:54:51 am »

This may be a stupid question but...

When you are doing your RoA and you remove your armor when putting in for the initial no-stat ring, can your then after receiving it, re-wear your armor?  What level armors can you re-wear then, if any? Are the high end armors level specific?  Or do you have to get all new gear during your RoAing?

Rob Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 6124
  • Latest: Havicck
Stats
  • Total Posts: 64988
  • Total Topics: 5053