Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:33:42 pm *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
Print
Author Topic: HOT BUTTON: Buff Level Restrictions and ROA/SOA/UW/Aug Level Requirements  (Read 39235 times)
hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« on: April 01, 2016, 09:56:53 pm »

HOT BUTTON TOPICS!

Alright, I am aware this is going to start a storm but a lot of negative feedback has been flowing into my inbox. I'd rather address this as a server, versus backdoor "Hate did something on his own". I'll list each item and then discuss it a bit.

First, I'm hearing from several that would like to see buff level restrictions.
Second, I am considering level restricting the UWs to the appropriate tiers (i.e. you can't equip UW VIII before T6 or level 74).
Third, SoA/RoA/EoA needing to be level restricted. (BIIIIIIG stack of QQ emails on this one).

To hit the first topic, I'm looking at the BuffLevelRestrictions rule being enabled
. This means any sub 70 can't receive 70+ buffs. No EXP buffs, no Kraken, etc etc. Part of this is to address the concern of people starting, blazing through 1-70 and QVIC, then getting upset when they can't play without the buffs (resorting to buff-begging or burnout & quit). I would like to further hit this by limiting the EXP buffs by script and removing MGB access to the Mask of Experience to ensure QVIC players aren't getting 500% experience bonuses. I brought this up awhile ago to reduce overall EXP gains to address this, but was debated (and often attacked) for trying to fix a problem before it exploded. It exploded, I tried to prevent it. ::shrug::

Continuing to the second topic, I brought this up before and was met with harsh criticism. This time, some of those same opposing people are emailing me and calling for it. This will basically lock the UWs to those that can actually unlock them. As in the example above, UW VIII should not be usable if you aren't in at least T6, as you would need to be there to farm the essences for it anyway.

Wrapping up, after a dozen lowbies earned the Ring of the Ages Rank 1000 inside a week, my inbox exploded like the New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina. I'm looking at restricting RoA by 200 ranks to 1.5 levels rounding up. I would also like to do similar things with the Earring and the Shield of the Ages. For RoA, this would look like:
0-200 L70
201-400 L72
401-600 L73
601-800 L75
801-1000 L76

Please post your thoughts and opinions on these. Honesty and directness is appreciated here. Heated debates or heated opinions are fine, but KEEP THEM ON TOPIC. Personal attacks or character assassinations will be edited or outright deleted.

STAY ON TOPIC.

-Hate

EDIT: For BuffLevelRestriction and EXP Gains, this has been discussed before here-> http://ezserver.online/forums/index.php?topic=4823.msg63393#msg63393
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 10:07:59 pm by hateborne » Logged

I'm so sorry Hunter, I tried...
Kelordis

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 10:26:20 pm »

To hit the first topic, I'm looking at the BuffLevelRestrictions rule being enabled.
This certainly can hurt the powerleveling for your own box, but I also experienced the buff addiction when I reached PoTime in my own pace until I received the T8+ buffs, I was astounded by how powerful it made me and made content a completely joke.  Eventually I was digging for more buffs so I can keep pushing quicker. But after talking to my friend, I realized that it would ruin the experience for me so I just stop craving for it and continue with my own pace.

Maybe we could explore for possible way to powerlevel your own character once your main reach certain progression or something?

And how can level 71+ players get the EXP buff then? Should just keep MGB on it and allow it to land on anyone who cleared Qvic (level 71 and up only). That way people can keep sharing their love!  Kiss

This will basically lock the UWs to those that can actually unlock them.
Surprised that this wasn't a thing in first place. Anyone can buy mats and rip through contents. I mean honestly, it make perfectly sense to have level/progression restriction on it.

I'm looking at restricting RoA by 200 ranks to 1.5 levels rounding up. I would also like to do similar things with the Earring and the Shield of the Ages. For RoA, this would look like:
0-200 L70
201-400 L72
401-600 L73
601-800 L75
801-1000 L76
Pretty much same thing with buffs, altho I think those who actually grinded it before the level restriction should keep it. In sense, I think they earned it for the dedication they spent on it. How about this, instead of slapping level restriction to the ring itself and upsetting a lot of people. Have Keeper of the Ages start refusing to level up the ring until you reach certain progression? That way they get to keep the ring they earned while future characters will have to follow the progression and upgrade their ring as they go.

I like the those RoA level restriction you currently have in the quote.

As for Earring/Shield/Mana Necklace. Lock em to the progression you are on. Just like UW.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 10:52:21 pm by Kelordis » Logged

balidet
Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 10:31:00 pm »

sounds good to me:)

warrior5

YAY

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 10:31:32 pm »

I'm generally not for anything which makes the game harder for new folks especially since those who complain have already taken advantage of everything they complain about - typical on EZ.

That said, I don't disagree with the UW restriction, and I don't disagree with the ROA/SOA/EOA restriction except I think the restriction should start at 400 for ROA. However, I DEFINITELY disagree with removing MGB from exp mask (unless you mean it only applies to sub 70), and I disagree with no buffs before 70. Seems buffs already scale dramatically based on level, and I don't see folks hitting a wall just because they scored a nice buff pre-70. Maybe limit pre-70 folks to spells from lower tiers or something.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 10:35:45 pm by warrior5 » Logged

Leis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 10:34:42 pm »

A bit off topic but one of my favorite things to do is create a toon and buff them to hell, then let them lose in a zone like solb. Back flagging kinda sucks as it is, so if you prevent anyone from getting buffs pre 70, you might want to increase the exp in leveling zones.

People who were buff begging are never going to make it past T5 anyhow, so I am not really worried about that.

Level restricting those items seems fine to me.

Flin is alone with the grimoire. I stab it, no wait I backstab it! You can't backstab it, you can't sneak attack an inanimate object. Why not it's prone? It doesn't have a discernible anatomy. It's got a spine doesn't it? *Rolls a 1 and stabs himself.
Leis  ~  Daira  ~  Arith  ~  Laria
Kobrakai Pwnstar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 10:41:50 pm »

A bit off topic but one of my favorite things to do is create a toon and buff them to hell, then let them lose in a zone like solb. Back flagging kinda sucks as it is, so if you prevent anyone from getting buffs pre 70, you might want to increase the exp in leveling zones.

People who were buff begging are never going to make it past T5 anyhow, so I am not really worried about that.

Level restricting those items seems fine to me.

the feels are the same they are.

Also, if we're worried about more people creating/begging then fading away cause they can't hack it.. for whatever reason we could go D2 Mode and have the server delete their toons after being inactive for like 3 or 4 years or so (on Diablo II it's 90 days)... and be able to flag a vacation thing such as say you can't login because work/school/no interwebs etc.. so it puts your toon on ice, but deletes the burnouts that never return.

Rent Due
EZ Server Admin GM
Administrator
Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 10:47:40 pm »

HOT BUTTON TOPICS!

First, I'm hearing from several that would like to see buff level restrictions.
Second, I am considering level restricting the UWs to the appropriate tiers (i.e. you can't equip UW VIII before T6 or level 74).
Third, SoA/RoA/EoA needing to be level restricted. (BIIIIIIG stack of QQ emails on this one

yes, yes and more yes. Think about it logically. If you can't farm the essences needed to get UWVI then why should you be able to make it? really? I want to see the argument against this. Might as well just say T10 armor is able to be received by a lvl 70 and go from there. So yes, the UW is restricted to your character's level

To hit the first topic, I'm looking at the BuffLevelRestrictions rule being enabled. This means any sub 70 can't receive 70+ buffs. No EXP buffs, no Kraken, etc etc. Part of this is to address the concern of people starting, blazing through 1-70 and QVIC, then getting upset when they can't play without the buffs (resorting to buff-begging or burnout & quit). I would like to further hit this by limiting the EXP buffs by script and removing MGB access to the Mask of Experience to ensure QVIC players aren't getting 500% experience bonuses. I brought this up awhile ago to reduce overall EXP gains to address this, but was debated (and often attacked) for trying to fix a problem before it exploded. It exploded, I tried to prevent it. ::shrug::

Level buff restrictions I am onboard with, if you can not yourself cast the buff it is basically bypassing an important aspect of the game. Case in point. When I started I had a pally, found out I wasn't going to make it far like that so I made a shaman and warrior. After time went on I noticed, going to the buff bot sucks! bad. In came my cleric, my druid, my ench, etc. For a long time I resisted the mage, but she came in as well for that Damage Shield. Now, would this hurt me? kinda it would, because I would have to say yes to something that wont allow me to speed through 1-70. However, this whole " I can't play without buffs" thing has to end somewhere. People forget that the people doing the buffing have spent a HUGE amount of time on this characters to get those buffs. Trudge through the snow, no we don't exactly want to see you do what we did, but in a way yes we (I) do. With that said, I would be for limiting buffs to levels, ie you can not receive armor of the crab 3 at lvl 71

Continuing to the second topic, I brought this up before and was met with harsh criticism. This time, some of those same opposing people are emailing me and calling for it. This will basically lock the UWs to those that can actually unlock them. As in the example above, UW VIII should not be usable if you aren't in at least T6, as you would need to be there to farm the essences for it anyway.

Wrapping up, after a dozen lowbies earned the Ring of the Ages Rank 1000 inside a week, my inbox exploded like the New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina. I'm looking at restricting RoA by 200 ranks to 1.5 levels rounding up. I would also like to do similar things with the Earring and the Shield of the Ages. For RoA, this would look like:
0-200 L70
201-400 L72
401-600 L73
601-800 L75
801-1000 L76

Again, there has to be a cap here. What is the point of a lvl 72 with ROA 1k? It defeats the purpose of progression. What do you do in game? exp to death until you get 1k ring and then start the game? Why not just spend that time playing the game through progression and get the items as they were intended to be achieved. Those level restrictions above seem very reasonable. As well as Earring of the Ages, Mana Neck and Shield of the Ages both of which should also be subject to the tier you are on. If you cant physically go camp it yourself, then how do you have the right to say "I earned this item". No, you bought/traded for that item, you did not camp/farm/earn that item. Sorry, butthurt, but you didn't. You bought it/traded for it. If that's the case, again, open up T10 armor for buy/trade, hell skip to the end of the game and then quit 2 days later.

Kelordis

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 10:48:58 pm »

I'm generally not for anything which makes the game harder for new folks

except I think the restriction should start at 400 for ROA.
First, it isn't hard. Adding restriction to those won't make it harder. It's already acceptable level of challenge and fun. No tears and wallpunching from level 1 to T3, so far. Seriously, if people find it hard in that range, maybe you need to reconsider your gears/AAs/adding new box.

Second, I disagreed with 400 for RoA, 400 is simply too powerful for level 70/71. With that RoA400 you can mass pull without care in the world in Qvic/CT. Effectively same as getting T8 buffs.

warrior5

YAY

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 10:56:36 pm »

200 is easy to get at any lvl. Lots of folks will get unreasonably capped there. Maybe the number is 300.

Also, I didn't say it was hard. I said harder.

Kelordis

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 11:16:26 pm »

200 is easy to get at any lvl. Lots of folks will get unreasonably capped there. Maybe the number is 300.

Also, I didn't say it was hard. I said harder.
I know what you said and I said having those restriction won't make it harder.  Wink If anything, without restriction making it a completely joke.

Yes getting level 200 is easy...With EXP buff. But with the EXP buff facing restriction, thing going be different. I can tell you this that I reached to T3 and only got my ring up to 65~ so not everyone going be ring capped before reaching level 72 unless they grind for it.

I am currently grinding to level it up. Took me a week on and off to get it up to 219 (should be 275+ when I'm done with tonight run) so far. THAT without EXP Buff for most part (because I just happen to start my ring grind with majority of EXP buffer on strike), it's actually feel slower than you implied. At least unless you play more than I do then sure, it's quicker.

Which is why I think 0-200 for level 70/71 is good number.

warrior5

YAY

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2016, 11:20:46 pm »

It would obviously make it harder as you said it's a joke without restriction. I'll leave it at that I guess.

Your point re: RoA 200 being harder w/o exp buff is valid but I still feel 200 is a low number to start the restriction. It takes very little xp to make RoA 200 compared to higher lvls.

Kelordis

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2016, 11:33:03 pm »

Your point re: RoA 200 being harder w/o exp buff is valid but I still feel 200 is a low number to start the restriction. It takes very little xp to make RoA 200 compared to higher lvls.
All the more reason to do the progression!

hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2016, 11:39:24 pm »

It would obviously make it harder as you said it's a joke without restriction. I'll leave it at that I guess.

True, but how many truly have RoA 200+ but cannot enter HoH?

Actually, I'll see if I can't get some stats this weekend using DB on the breakdown of where the numbers are. :-)

-Hate

I'm so sorry Hunter, I tried...
Mersedez

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2016, 11:43:40 pm »

Can the mask only be a raid buff?
Brannyn

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2016, 12:04:16 am »

My RoA wasn't past 200 until I think t5 and i'm pretty sure that's only because kruciel was mass pulling t5 for me with 200% mask.

I don't have any problems with these changes EXCEPT the mgb with exp mask. I don't want to put another toon in the crafter guild and start working mask on them =(.
BUT if you feel that removing mgb capabilities from the mask is needed then go ahead. I'll be moving my rogue around my raid to make sure my war gets the buff.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 6124
  • Latest: Havicck
Stats
  • Total Posts: 64987
  • Total Topics: 5053
  • Online Today: 91