Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 09:45:34 pm *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Author Topic: HOT BUTTON: Buff Level Restrictions and ROA/SOA/UW/Aug Level Requirements  (Read 39367 times)
Zephr

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2016, 01:13:00 am »

No.....the rule is the retard who got too confused by P99, who's bored to tears with games like Warcrap who came here because the wife/and-or Mommy wouldnt give them the credit card to buy a sub to a mainstream game, and who saw the name "EZ" and got immediate wood.....who then started smashing his safety helmet into the keyboard screaming "BAD!! BAD MAN! RENT BAD MAN!"

Ok, sorry, I got that out of my system. Rent, some days you're my hero.

There IS no "rule". Get 10 new players and you'll see 10 completely different reasons for playing and play styles. But one thing I WILL tell you: of the players who would make it here long term you'll see far more drieven away by shit being too easy than ones being "driven off" because they cant buy their way to T9.

From the several players in the last month that I've helped with questions and gearing an such in the last month, the server being too easy wasn't the reason any of them left. If you think this is the reason, you aren't helping new players out as much as you probably should be. 1 in like.. 8 players actually sticks around. 1 of them doesn't like seeing the hostility that is put out. I understand that they don't really get that our discussions in OOC sometimes get heated, but usually we're all pals by the end of it. Debates are debates. P99 players come over and think it's too easy, and sadly, they don't consider that the 99 days were much harder than any player wants to deal with nowadays. That, however, only accounts for 1 of those 8 players. The other 6 of 8 people I see that would join and leave are people that think the server is too hard. Not easy. However, a big part of that is, in fact, them getting OP T9 buffs and rolling through their low level content, then immediately when the buffs come off, they can't handle the adjustment to where they're supposed to be as far as power goes.

Now, on a different thing to hit in your post. "EZ" server SHOULD imply the server not being as hard as others. You can argue it however you like, but the best possible argument in existence would be "it's just a name." However, even with that argument, "EZ' says "easy." Flat out, this server should be easier than the standard. Now, the definition of "easy" is debatable. Is it "easy" for someone to solo box? Or is it "easy" for someone who boxes 6 characters?  If we're trying to just go off the general definition of easy, the server needs to get a new name before any changes are made to the difficulty of the server.

Finally, I'd edit out the beginning of your post. If people don't think the community has toxin in it that causes new players to leave, the beginning of your post is exactly why it does. Most players that play this game anymore are people who play P99, Live, or Warcraft. Live is a joke of a game now. It's incredibly easy. Just like Warcraft. P99 isn't hard at all in my opinion, but it is debatably very hard. You're basically saying with that statement that everyone that comes to this server from the 2 other servers and 1 other game that EVERYONE plays, that they're retard cry babies. You, with that post, are officially not welcoming new players period. How is that not toxic?
Chunka
Legend

Been gone so long I'm a newbie again!

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2016, 01:48:15 am »

I think the problem is you didnt know Hunter. He liked naming his server EZ (Extended Zones) then smacking the newly minted player in the nuts with a bowling ball. Honestly its one of the things I miss most about him.

If you come here and think "Oh, this is Easy Server", thats understandab le. If after a week or two here you STILL think that then you didnt do too well in reading in grade school. Its all over, everywhere, in the wiki and forums and in chat: EZ does not equal "Easy", nor should it.

As for the rest, I call em like I see em. Warcract killed MMO's, in my opinion. Idiots who expected every other freaking game out there to follow that same pathetically craptastic formula, whining all the time about how "grindy" a game is have pretty much ruined every other game thats come since. I'd honestly rather NOT see this server take that same road. If you want an easy game you can log into and basically spend several hours trading Al Gore or Chuck Norris quips there are plenty to chose from out there; dont in one breath state how boring and cheap these other games are then state that we need to follow the same formula here. Thats....illogical. And destructive. Just....dont. Or did I misunderstand your statement?

As for me being toxic, tough shit Cheesy And way to not get what I was saying.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 01:55:23 am by Chunka » Logged

"When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything — you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." R.A. Heinlein
kronarq

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2016, 02:01:48 am »

I would like to clarify that my experiences with the vets have been exceptional overall and I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here. Recently though the atmosphere in the community seems to have darkened and grown hostile. That atmosphere is what I was saying can drive people away. You guys are awesome, let's just blaze and chill or at the very least keep it to a civil discord in specific on topic threads like this and not across the forums, in ooc all day, flooding hate's email, etc.  Grin

For the record I do not disagree with the level restrictions for items. I do however think buff level restrictions would be terrible. I believe buffs fill an integral part of the game design. They create an oscillation. Highs when you have them and lows when you don't. While steadily trending up through item/tier progression.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LScL4CWe5E

I would suggest decreasing the duration of super long buffs like Ancestral Honor 9 instead of putting in level restrictions on them. Increasing the frequency of the oscillation instead of reducing the amplitude below the threshold of perception.

MSG me IG on my MT Kronwar
Dimur

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2016, 02:15:49 am »

I think the buffbot should be revisited and given tier relevant buffs at the very least, and yes I'd rather see buffs be shorter duration and persist through deaths.  The direction of the high end zones seems to be toward hardcoded hatelists so that class skills and mechanics are useless, T10 and the MPG daily are rezzfests and I don't even bother buffing anything but the ones that pets give.  Long lockouts and long durations don't mean much at all in the grand scheme if 3/12 are going to die ever 5 minutes or so.  Drop the duration of the buffs to 30ish minutes, recast to match pet buff availability at 5 minutes and having buffing classes would still be relevant at endgame.  I still contend that to receive full benefit of a buff, you should be within 1 or 2 levels of the spell cast...Ancestral Honor 9 on any duration is incredibly overpowering content below T5, not to mention the other T9+ buffs dispensed in mgb's. 

I'd suggest the buffbot combo buff could be revisited and cast a good set of buffs that last for 2 hours or so and also give an exp boost buff scaling by progression tier and these buffs should persist through death...the downside would be a 6 hour lockout/recourse buff that prevents you from just constantly hailing when the duration is getting low.  This way people could log on knowing they are going to be able to get a good solid 2 hours out of their playtime instead of hoping or buff begging for MGB's that negate the challenge of progression completely.
KnowFear

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2016, 07:47:11 am »

I started actively playing on EZ on 10 Feb, 2016. Not that long. I have asked for buffs once. Perhaps an EXP buff a half a dozen times. Currently I am running 8 toons. I have 2 that are completely done with T3. The rest are still working on T3 and the newest is still in qvic.  I have been buffed a lot and while it does help if you were trying to "solo" through content. I would probably be further along, but I continually find myself needing "X" in my group and rolling up a new toon to get that. Having said that. I am also still a level behind on most of my augs. I have spent days working up RoA. I haven't ever complained that I couldn't do something without buffs. If I found I just couldn't do something without buffs, I rolled up a new toon or 2 to add whatever on level buffs I could manage and moved on. To me, progression has been slowed because of this. I am sick to death of qvic and that god forsaken CT. Hell I am tired of PoD. But I have to keep repeating it if I want to progress further.

Since Feb, I have given a good chunk of donations to the server. I don't mind. It helps tremendously just having the fast travel buff. I would say that buffs, as they are aren't so much an issue. Aside from maybe the exp mask. And while that makes knocking out a handful of RoA levels easier, it isn't game breaking in my opinion.

To me this is starting to feel like EQLive. Every year when they release a new expansion and they nerf the piss out of the older stuff. The same stuff that others have had the pleasure of farming to death for a year, now they change it to where you can do this or you can't do that because now all of the sudden they see something as game-breaking.

While I have no issue boxing a small army, some folks can't. I have seen at least 1 person in the last month that left because this server wasn't a play 1 toon place. (honestly, if you can't box at least a couple, you need a new computer, but that is irrelevant). But we have all seen the arguments on OOC about solo and not solo. We are all tired of it. But my point in this ramble is, you cannot solo on this server without buff as they are. Is it the focus of the admin to force people to have an 18 man army? I am comfortable with a full group. But when I have to move to a raid, it get harder remembering hotkeys to make everyone perform as expected. Many times I miss and my group wipes on say a T3 or T4 boss. It happens. Do I give up and wait for buffs? Hell no.

I say leave it like it is, with EXP mask changes as stated, or Like Dimur said, Make the buff bot relevant to tier. A tiny little buff doesn't do anything and isn't worth the time.
balidet
Master

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2016, 10:10:36 am »

I'd suggest the buffbot combo buff could be revisited and cast a good set of buffs that last for 2 hours or so and also give an exp boost buff scaling by progression tier and these buffs should persist through death...the downside would be a 6 hour lockout/recourse buff that prevents you from just constantly hailing when the duration is getting low.  This way people could log on knowing they are going to be able to get a good solid 2 hours out of their playtime instead of hoping or buff begging for MGB's that negate the challenge of progression completely.

why even have a buff bot then? you are talking about perma buffs for everyone with an xp boost?  this is just a server nerf I dont agree with.

we can continue to lower the bar for this server so more people join but with said lower bar we are going to have a MUCH higher turn over rate... I would pass thank you.

Dimur

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2016, 10:20:06 am »

That's why the suggestion I made specifically stated the buffs would be on tier only and have a duration 1/3 as long as the recast.
Rent Due
EZ Server Admin GM
Administrator
Master

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2016, 12:14:46 pm »

I feel someone, somewhere has mentioned me without saying my name......

Kelordis

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2016, 02:30:19 pm »

As for the rest, I call em like I see em. Warcract killed MMO's, in my opinion. Idiots who expected every other freaking game out there to follow that same pathetically craptastic formula, whining all the time about how "grindy" a game is have pretty much ruined every other game thats come since. I'd honestly rather NOT see this server take that same road. If you want an easy game you can log into and basically spend several hours trading Al Gore or Chuck Norris quips there are plenty to chose from out there; dont in one breath state how boring and cheap these other games are then state that we need to follow the same formula here. Thats....illogical. And destructive. Just....dont. Or did I misunderstand your statement?
As 8 years Veteran WoW player, I completely agreed with this. WoW is it's own MMORPG that evolved after 10+ years and changed to cater to the masses they have. Went from being unique world to end game content only. Communities went from very socialable that know everyone else and relies on the server/community/person reputation to toxic community that barely talk to each other and counting on random group system to get anything done. Only few guilds maintained the community which is the whole reason I'm still playing. I found myself an amazing guild to play with and pushing top end raid together.

Over the 8 years I've see too many new MMO games start and flop because they tried too hard to clone the WoW system. Even those that didn't copy the system still flop mainly because of developers doesn't communication with players well. That's what make this server great, it got great community between people and developers. EZ have it's own history and this community is the result of that. A solid community with bunch of people helping each other and GMs listening and talking to the people.

Back to WoW, too many people find leveling or old expansion contents outdated and wanted to rush to the endgame. They find early contents too boring because it's SO simple. Thus creating more and more babies wanting things handed to them. That's what's troubling with the EZ right now. Newcomers can find 1-70 and T1-T4 being a joke with buffs. Then they think they can't do anything without the buffs so they resorted to buff begging. They think they HAVE to grind out the RoA to beyond of their own progression level early on. And with tier up to 10 now, they feel the urge to rush to end game. Wanting the buffs/RoA so they can skip the low/middle tiers as soon as possible. Or so they thought, it just doesn't work like that. This is EZ, a different method of pace which only YOU can create YOUR own pace.

Which is why I believe that there is need a balance for both low and high end to keep it interesting. Just enough not to faceroll through or impossible to do without outside assistance. Just enough to not be dull. As newcomer, I had fun working my way through 1-70 without buffs, I had fun working on Qvic/CT/T1/T2 on my own pace without buffs. Walking through LDoN for first time was quite interesting and rough without buffs, but I managed to reach final level after hours of frustrating deaths. Well worth the efforts. It's definitely possible to do any low contents without NEEDING the RoA or buffs.

By the way, Chunka, Al Gore and Chuck Norris quips are long dead. It's all about banging your mom/thunderfury/anal spam now.   Cheesy

« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 02:34:59 pm by Kelordis » Logged

Poker-ecaf

i found my true love ! ( EZ 4ever )

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2016, 03:01:17 pm »

i played alot of WoW to .. but canceled totally after Retro Game killed ... item power 226 same as 277 or 284 in WotLK retro gaming

Leis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2016, 05:11:05 pm »

Off topic but the problem in wow was not something we should have to worry about. Blizzard realized that they didn't get paid more for making a better game, but for having more subscription accounts.

So they stopped trying to make a good game and started making one that appealed to a lot of people. It became the facebook of mmo's. Here we have dev's who care more about making a good game, and a community that tries to help with that.

Flin is alone with the grimoire. I stab it, no wait I backstab it! You can't backstab it, you can't sneak attack an inanimate object. Why not it's prone? It doesn't have a discernible anatomy. It's got a spine doesn't it? *Rolls a 1 and stabs himself.
Leis  ~  Daira  ~  Arith  ~  Laria
Chunka
Legend

Been gone so long I'm a newbie again!

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2016, 09:33:45 am »

Yes, but, again, there are people who are so used to that type of play that they want to turn every game into another knockoff of it. I think thats what we're seeing here. Look, my BEST memories of MMO's were when the game was so stupid hard that you could sometimes spend 5 hours on a CR. No, this aint rose colored beer goggles, its that it 1) became a sense of actual accomplishment for something as simple as running from Halas to Freeport without high level backup....let alone getting an old cleric epic done, and 2) took TIME....I had to actually invest into what I was doing, which got me involved AND meant that I'd BE involved long term. I didnt play for a few weeks then say "Well, thats done....not much else to do. This is boring!"

Look, I am probably the biggest problem in terms of tossing out buffs. The click Hate and Akk gave me is one of the more powerful buffs in the game (T9 buffs plus 250% exp and mass mage IA3 in one click).....Godtanks a close second. I used to buff ALL THE TIME in Nexus....now not so much. Giving newer players that kind of pump early on aint doing them any favors, honestly, because they dont learn, for one, and because it reduces the amount of time they can enjoy EZ....and there is a lot to enjoy here. Its helped create a whole crop of newer players who for one think that they cant do anything without someone buffing them, and also has helped enable many to just burn through content in record time.

I think there needs to be a fix. First, I'm publicly asking Hate to change my clicky. As much as I appreciate the award, its too much. If I am saying we shouldnt overpower lowbies then I shouldnt benefit from this either. So at the least please remove the IA3 component, my personal 25K damage shield and the 250% exp buff. As much as I like the mass exp on my group, I am also suggesting that we make the exp buffs group only, not responding to MGB...and make them 30 minute duration with a one hour recast timer, like the dropped potions. I honestly think this will make the server better in the long run. Feel free to disagree, but I know what I know. After that....I dont know about the huge hp buffs. I dont see much problem with heavy hps if the newer player doesnt also get a hyper dps bump with it, so I dont really see a need for level limits there.

And a possible suggestion to offset this....maybe resurrect Blue Diamond and lower crafted armor....or a quest to add a crafted aug to tier armor that would give some benefits that might help lower tier players churn through. Dont make them too easy, and dont make it allow higher level players to help churn them through. Perhaps, along with your typical essence and SLS parade, some tasks that when completed give you an item in cursor or inventory needed to combine with the other items to make such an aug or armor piece. Maybe augs that add self buff click to the armor (go go gadget Kunark clickies!!).

Just some thoughts. For hate to do in his copious spare time Tongue

"When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything — you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." R.A. Heinlein
Brannyn

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2016, 06:50:01 pm »

I don't want to agree with you on your suggestion Chunka. BUT I don't want to disagree with you on it either.
I want to keep my mask clicky for my groups, but I certainly understand that what needs to be done is what I want more than I want to keep my decent exp click.
hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2016, 10:25:41 pm »

From this post: http://ezserver.online/forums/index.php?topic=5108.0

Minor Updates!

Ok, here we go again with miscellaneous updates. :-)

Ring of the Ages had recommended (rec) level and required (req) level set. The levels are as follows:

• Ranks 0 - 200: Rec/Req levels of 70
  • Ranks 201-400: Req level of 70, rec level of 72
  • Ranks 401-600: Req level of 72, rec level of 73
  • Ranks 601-800: Req level of 73, rec level of 75
  • Ranks 800-1000: Req level of 75, rec level of 76

Mask of Experience buffs are now regulated via level. When a Mask of Experience buff is cast (group cast or MGB cast), it checks against the level chart below to determine your highest eligible buff. If you receive a rank higher than your "set amount", it recasts the lower buff on you instead. This way the Mask of Experience is effectively 'unchanged'.

• 1-69: 0%
  • 70: 50%
  • 71: 100%
  • 72: 150%
  • 73: 200%
  • 74: 250%
  • 75: 300%
  • 76: 350%
  • 77+: No cap

The RoA level caps are due to the regeneration values simply not eligible to scale down. If we are ok with REMOVING the regeneration from RoA, then I can remove required level cap (leaving only the recommended one).

These changes spawned off of feedback from email and from the thread below:
http://ezserver.online/forums/index.php?topic=5102.msg65977#msg65977

-Hate

I'm so sorry Hunter, I tried...
hateborne
Legend

Don't nerf me bro!

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2016, 08:47:50 am »

Looking at UWs next. From the feedback received in email form and from this thread, considering limiting weapon to on-tier. I say this because UWXI would require 78 to equip and UWXII would required 79 (completing T10) to equip. It may disarm quite a few being unable to use their UWXI at 77 instead of 78. However, if opinions are strong for it, I'm not opposed.

-Hate

I'm so sorry Hunter, I tried...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 6125
  • Latest: farrvva
Stats
  • Total Posts: 64988