Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2024, 03:58:54 am *

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Server Fail-safe?  (Read 7007 times)
sadit

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2010, 07:36:25 pm »

I was just wondering why there isnt a check on the server to see if any part of it has failed to run or halted, and would restart automatically? possibly a check every hour if any portion of the server has errored and restart if so. Probably sounds easier than what it is, but i think it may be something worth looking into.
Bludlust

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 12:52:45 am »

This is all just happening recently, im sure he is working on something of the sort to keep it from coming down often before he works on something to reboot it..maybe..lol

Everett - Warrior, Fable - Paladin, Bloodlord - Paladin, Kimboslice - Shadowknight, Combatmedic - Cleric, Bludlust - Ranger.
sadit

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 06:12:14 pm »

I would hope so, however, its jst another path that would at least buy him some time, and be a problem solver for future issues, its just a way that he can get the server up without being bothered when he is away. I would rather have the server fixed to not come down at all, but i would accept just a simple restart script as well. or just waiting, it doesnt really matter Smiley lol
Chunka
Legend

Been gone so long I'm a newbie again!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 07:06:04 am »

This is Hunter's hobby, not his life. He does this because he enjoys it.....in his spare time!

Have to keep in mind that he has a MORE than full time job, and I imagine more than full time expenses.

You could always try asking for your money back for the down time Cheesy

"When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything — you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." R.A. Heinlein
Smoka

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 08:32:34 am »

This is Hunter's hobby, not his life. He does this because he enjoys it.....in his spare time!

Have to keep in mind that he has a MORE than full time job, and I imagine more than full time expenses.

You could always try asking for your money back for the down time Cheesy

Yes, as we are reminded over and over to every suggestion thread.
L0stman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 10:37:17 am »

As opposed to making suggestions for Hunter or someone else to implement, it may be worthwhile to list some good things that we might be able to do ourselves.

For example:  what would constitute a server that needs rebooting?

-If the server is not listed on the EQEmu page, it -may- need rebooting.  It may also indicate that the EQEmu page is not operating well.

-If the server has a sudden (within 2 minutes) disconnect of ~1/2 the people, and this number (1/2) is at least 100 accounts it -may- need rebooting.  It may also indicate that a person just logged off all their bots.

-If there is a process that runs for the world server and this process is not running, it may indicate (strongly?) that the server needs rebooting.  It may also be that Hunter is doing maintenance.

-If there is a thread in the forum indicating that the system is down, it -may- indicate that the server needs rebooting.  It may also be that some forum kids are trying to screw with the server and cause a reboot automatically.

List items that may indicate a case where the server needs rebooting - some of us may be handy enough with some programming languages that the actual answer is -somewhat- trivial.  The problem I have had in thinking about this, though, is trying to identify what are likely indications that the server has an issue that -could- be fixed with a reboot.  You do not want to make it too strenuous a test and find out that it is almost worthless (almost never triggers a reboot) but you also do not want to make it too easy as there will then be people getting off on triggering a server reboot through their knowledge of how it works.

So - what else would be good indications that the server needs reboot? 

Help me out here. 

Not asking Hunter / Basher to do anything - lets just discuss what are good error conditions (or bad ones) that may indicate a server issue that -may- be fixed with a reboot.  Heck, one of the conditions might be that it checks an email address for an email from hunter / basher / whoever with some certain code that would indicate that the server needs rebooting.  Brainstorm - I know I have been thinking about it for the last few days.  They have to be conditions that -could- indicate an issue while keeping in mind that someone may try to game the system to cause an automated reboot.
sadit

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 12:29:36 pm »

Im kinda confused as to the last few posts. Im just saying that since hunter does this IN HIS SPARE TIME, that with a small reboot/maintanance program, he could save himself some time and greif from many players becasue they know that the server will be rebooting on its own shortly, If needed. As to finding the cause of the server failing to respond it is technically impossible for us to have founded evidence of what the problems may be due to the fact that we have no information to go off of aside from what we see when the server goes down, which is most likekly probably nothing.

For all we know it could be some kid somewhere packet-spamming the server with WPE trying to find ways to hack the server because they don't want to spend the time and effort it takes to become "Uber" and would preferr to be that way ASAP.

With the allowing of Macroquest2 some people may not have all the plugins removed correctly and is over flooding the server with information and requests.

People could possibly be using macroquest incorrectly, With the use of /fartaunt or /stealth or /gate or any of the server heavy commands could be using the extra memory or connection needed which leads to a temporary time-out of the server.

These are just a few things i could think of, but that is just the "Shotgun method" which is where we just shoot ideas with no founded proof, just logical thinking. Without the founded proof, we have no way of saying "THIS IS WHATS WRONG WITH THE SERVER HUNTER" Instead we should just wait.

I still think the server failsafe would save time.
L0stman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 01:00:07 pm »

Hi Sadit,

I think you may have misunderstood. 

I believe that a fail safe -type- system may be a good thing to have.  I also believe that it is not out of the realm of belief for someone besides Hunter / Basher to write a small app / service that could do just this.

My questions still stand though.

We need to have some way to determine - at least in for some percentage of likelyhood - that the server has reached an error condition where a reboot would be a good path to travel.  I listed some of the ones I had considered and the problems with them.  Do you have any other ones you might be able to suggest?
sadit

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 01:22:45 pm »

What i was saying was just that the program could be simple and set up.

serverDown()
if loginServ = offline
then
rebootServer()
else
endif

or something along those lines that only reboots the server if the login server or world server crashes. not nessicarily to see what has broken with the server, but just to bring it back up in a timely manner, which will leave hutner time to work on the server while we are content with the reboots.
Trinity

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 02:47:31 pm »

Here is script and thread on this specifically.
http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24621

Working script for this tweaked many times, just read through posts. Some have said here auto rebooter wont work sometimes but in fact it can work every single time with a good script. Just read through that or have someone who has extensive knowledge of egemu to write one.
sadit

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 05:09:51 pm »

yeah that is pretty much what i was talking about lol
L0stman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, 07:02:30 pm »

Here is script and thread on this specifically.
http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24621

Working script for this tweaked many times, just read through posts. Some have said here auto rebooter wont work sometimes but in fact it can work every single time with a good script. Just read through that or have someone who has extensive knowledge of egemu to write one.

Unfortunately, it looks like all the download links are down. 
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent

Stats

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 65023
  • Total Topics: 5057
  • Online Today: 134
  • Online Ever: 8678
  • (December 19, 2022, 02:32:09 pm)